A Wallflower's Bloom

By enaganda

"Are you mad? I would never dream of courting Penelope Featherington." Brokenhearted from the words she heard... More

Chapter 1: London 1815
Chapter 3: Cowper's Ball
Chapter 4: Twenty-four Letters
Chapter 5: Danbury Ball
Chapter 6: The Dances
Chapter 7: The Confrontation
Chapter 8: Calling Hours
Chapter 9: Unexpected Tutor
Chapter 10: A Suitor's Gift
Chapter 11: Lesson One
Chapter 12: Realization
Chapter 13: Bridgerton Ball
Chapter 14: Lesson Learned
Chapter 15: An Invitation and A Letter
Chapter 16: Tea Party
Chapter 17: Confession
Chapter 18: The Queen's Ball
Chapter 19: Public Confession
Chapter 20: The Aftermath
Chapter 21: Royal Retreat
Chapter 22: A Brawl
Chapter 23: Repercussions
Chapter 24: A Vulnerable Gentleman
Chapter 25: The Long-Awaited Response
Chapter 26: Secret Revealed
Chapter 27: Welcome Back
Chapter 28: Bonding with the Mother-in-law
Chapter 29: The First Kiss
Chapter 30: The Honeymoon
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 2: Bridgerton House

4.7K 102 8
By enaganda

Bridgerton House

Members of the esteemed Bridgerton family have forever been busy since their arrival back in London. Today, together with the oldest son, Viscount Anthony Bridgerton and his newly wedded wife, Kate will be coming to the Queen's palace as they will present Francesca as a debutante. All the siblings will tag along as to support the third daughter. Even the ever-stubborn Eloise have allowed all her maids' effort, without defiance, to let her appearance be fitting for an audience with her Majesty the Queen.

"Everyone ready then?" Anthony asks his family as he offers his arm to his wife Kate, the new viscountess. All of his siblings answered him in unison as they take flight down from their grand staircase.

"Very well. Mother, Kate and I will take the first carriage. You, Francesca and Eloise will follow through. And Benedict will take care of Hyacinth and Gregory at the next."

"As you said." Violet Bridgerton glances at her back quickly to take a final look at the rest of her children, making sure that everyone's appearance is neat and tidy.

As Anthony starts the short march towards the front entrance of their estate where their carriages lie await, he saw a familiar face that stopped everyone from their tracks.

"Colin!" Benedict was the first one who burst out hugging the family's third brother who had just returned from his travels.

"Benedict. Anthony." Colin Bridgerton gave his eldest brother and his wife a nod as he acknowledges the proper greeting for the head of their family. He then stepped closer to his mother Violet as he gave the matriarch a kiss on her cheek.

"Mother. Still elegant as ever I see." Violet just smiled as she squeezes the arms of her third son. Colin have been dressed in peculiar clothes unfitting to the trend in society, but the features on his face is still the same. Save from the growing stubbles around his mouth and the developed muscles on his physique.

"Brother, have you brought any gifts?" Gregory and Hyacinth were altogether excited upon the return of their charming brother, but more so expectant on the souvenir items he brought from his travels.

"Of course. How can I forget?" Colin said as he pats the heads of his younger siblings. "The carriage with my belongings will be arriving here within the day." He motioned for their butler Humboldt to take care of the preparations once his baggage for the past six months arrives at their estate. The butler understood his assignment.

Eloise and Francesca just quickly welcomed their brother as they pass on him towards their carriage. The two ladies were very happy for Colin's return but knew that there are much more important matters at hand. The man felt curious as to why his sisters are not giving him that much of attention.

"You all going somewhere?" Colin asked looking at everyone's faces.

"Well, my brother. Today is the day when our Franny will be presented to the Queen." Benedict pats his brother's tired shoulders. Colin looked at Francesca from head to toe, now noticing the white cream dress she wears and the enormous feathers adorning her hair.

"A­h. That already?" Colin could not believe that another of his sibling is now going to debut into the society. He has been gone for about six months and now his third sister will be up on the marriage mart. What will be next, Hyacinth's turn? He thought to himself.

"You and your travels." Violet raises both of her eyebrows as she shows sentiment on Colin's frequent travel escape. She does love all of her children and supports everything that will make them happy and settled. She has so many plans for Colin's matchmaking but before she can orchestrate anything, her son flees off to a foreign country escaping her clutches. "Now, we do not want to be late for the Queen's audience. As much as we want to be with you on this beautiful day, we can not afford to offend her majesty with your.. unpreparedness my dear." The mother of eight says.

Colin looked at himself realizing his attire does not fit a palace engagement, let alone any engagement at the ton. He bids everyone good luck especially Franny who will be the star of their family's entourage.

"Colin." The returned traveler gazes back at Anthony as the Viscount gave him a strict order. "You will be present at the Cowper's ball tonight, yes? I take it you do not want to miss Franny's first ball. She needs us."

It took few seconds before Colin could answer his older brother. He had just arrived at their home and frankly speaking, he feels too tired to do anything else for now. But seeing the seriousness on the face of the Viscount made him agree to the request. After all, aside from supporting Francesca, there is another person whom he would like to take on the dance floor.

"Of course, brother. I will be there."

"Good." Upon hearing Colin's confirmation. A quick smile formed on Anthony's lips. They then went along and rode the carriages towards the Queen's palace, leaving Colin alone with the company of the family's servants.

"A bath sir?" Humboldt asked the third master after offering his arms to take away Colin's belongings. The latter removed his dusted coat and handed it over to the butler. He looked at the old man feeling a bit shamed on how he looks. Colin had always prided himself as a true gentleman. However, he realized that at that moment, he encompasses no form of being a gentleman at all.

His whole appearance looks rugged from his long journey, his coat all crumpled and dusted, his face looking dark from stubbles and absence of a shave, and a lack of bath as a consequence from days-long ride on the carriage to London.

"Do I smell that bad, Humboldt?"

The butler dared not to answer the man but instead, smiled and leads him upstairs towards the bathing area. "I will have a platter of biscuits prepared and fixed for you sir."

The third Bridgerton son smiled at the gesture of their butler. Every one who knows him, from family and friends, to servants alike, knew too well how big of an appetite he has. There is almost no day that they see him without being hungry over any course of snacks.

"Do I not have any letters?" Colin asked as he takes off his garments one by one. His valet had already poured hot water on the tub upon arriving on the bath room.

"A few from the family Mister Bridgerton. Aside from your mother and from Miss Eloise, nothing else. Now that you are here sir, I do not think necessary to mail it anymore. But I will have them delivered to your room for your reading."

Colin's forehead crunched and his eyebrows narrowed upon hearing the unsatisfying response from their butler. He had expected his mother and a few of his siblings to write and respond to his letters but there is one person whom he longed for a correspondence; Penelope Featherington. The girl had become one of whom he shares with stories of his travels. He had enjoyed her responses, her sensible queries on things revolving the foreign land he is on. It was because of their frequent correspondence last off-season that he realized how enjoyable it is to converse with her. He could still not believe how Penelope and his sister Eloise could have become the best of friends as they were totally opposite to one another. Her eloquence in writing is worthy of acclaim, making him wonder how the gentlemen in the ton could not bother talking to an intelligent and sweet girl like her.

And that leaves Colin surprised to hear that there is no letter for him coming from the young Featherington.

"Are you sure Humboldt? Nothing from Miss Penelope Featherington?" The butler just shook her head.

During his travel, Colin had never missed sending a letter to his childhood friend at least once a week. All the new places and foods he tries, the scenery his eyes have come to see, the weather and how the locals fare on each town he visits; everything he does is shared towards his letter to Penelope. However, what irks him is that for all of his twenty-four letters sent these past months, nothing not even one correspondence has he received from the young lady. There should be no error on the mailing address as his letters got through to his family, even their responses he was able to receive while overseas. Colin finds it difficult to find any reason Penelope would not be sending a response to him. Unless, if there is something grave that happened to the young lady making her incapacitated or unable to receive his letters.

"Nothing Mister Bridgerton."

"Have something of concern happened to the Featheringtons?" Colin was curious if his friend's family had been involved in any scandal of sort. He was not able to hear any news about them since his departure to Italy. The last time he saw Penelope was from her mama's ball last season and since then, they were unable to have any form of communication.

"Nothing that I am aware of sir. Only that they have arrived on their estate yesterday afternoon."

Humboldt's statement had somehow given Colin a positive outlook insight on why might there be a lack of news from Penelope.

"They traveled to country?"

"It was said that the whole family had spent the last six months on their distant relative's estate."

"Very well, that makes sense. Thank you, Humboldt." Colin resumed his business in getting back on being a neat and proper gentleman as he finishes his bath. Now satisfied upon hearing that Penelope Featherington and her family had spent time away from London, Colin was thinking that might be the reason as to why the red-haired girl were unable to respond to any of his letters.

With the confirmation that their neighbors are back in town, Colin has led himself to believe that no matter the lack of writing, he will be able to converse with his good friend Penelope on tonight's ball. He then finally let his valet and servants take care of him as he goes back to transform as a good gentleman of the ton.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.3K 1K 13
I just finished binge watching Bridgerton and I loved it! Colin and Penelope deserved more screen time and I just finished reading the 4th Bridgerton...
179K 4.4K 19
𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓮𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓭 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓪𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓘 𝓰𝓮𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓹𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓲�...
263K 6.8K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
13.9K 383 13
"Are you not expected to start your season, soon?" Benedict asks suddenly, breaking the silence that had been collecting for nearly three hours. "Mo...