Marauders - Always - Part One

By Pengiwen

Sirius stared at Lily. "I suppose this means everything is going to change, doesn't it?" Lily smiled. "Yes,"... More

The Times They Are A-Changin'
Summer 2015
CXXXIX: The Welcoming Feast
CXL: The Goblet of Fire
Let's Try It Again
Never Either Without Laughter
Worth Every Knut
A Good Moon Rising
Good Boy
Be Careful Charlie
CXLI: Are You Laughing at Me?
CXLII: Endearing
CXLIII: The Stolen Trainer
Bread When It's Not Cooked
I'm Taking Him Back
CXLIV: Quatre Champions!
CXLV: The Fourth Champion
CXLVI: The Smallest Hours of the Morning
Superman and Wonder Woman
Portraits
Figures Class
CXLVII: I'm Not An Owl
CLXVIII: The Old Lupin House
The Lavender Vial
The First Quidditch Game
CLXIV: The Summit
CLXV: Broken Glass
A Wonky Little Splootch
We'll Figure Something Out
The Business of Miracle Making
CLXVI: The Scoop
CLXVII: Freddie Pineapple
Morning! My Wife's Pregnant!
Cold Ostrich
Things You Can't Say
Summer 2015 - 18-4245
Oh My God We're Having a Baby
A Lovely Night
CLXVIII: A Fourth Dragon
CLXIX: Rubeus
CLXX: Best Mate of Tonks
CLXXI: Ketchup or Tartar?
The Mustard Yellow Astra
The Top Secret Agent
Po-tay-toe, Po-tah-toe
My Parents Were Rebels
The Augury Nest
Shattered
Summer 2015: You Don't Know Me Yet
Summer 2015: but wait its also Summer 1993 and where the hell are we Declan?
Educational Reading
Summer 2015: Me and Declan share a plate of scotch eggs
Do You Have the Time?
Summer 2015: I got a wand and also some information (finally)
The Missing Portrait
Framed
You're Gonna Change the Future Kid
CLXXII: The Black Dog at Hogsmeade
CLXXIII: Disappointed

Mums for the Mum

987 61 102
By Pengiwen

The gate in front of the Potter Cottage in Godric's Hollow creaked as James pushed it open. He paused to look at the hinge, his brow furrowing with concern, and made a mental note to come back out after he'd put his things down and fix the gate - his arms were full and his wand was in the leather scabbard Lily had made for him, strapped to his waist. He hurried on up the walk and elbowed his way into the cottage, calling out, "Evans, I'm home!" as he stepped into the warmth of the house.

The fireplace in the living room was flickering comfortingly, and the house was toasty and warm compared to the drizzly autumn air he was coming in from outside. He'd walked home from the grocery, where he'd stopped on his way back from his day working with Underhill at the Ministry. He'd noticed they were out of eggs and bacon and the usual breakfast supplies that they always had on Friday mornings - one of the days that both he and Lily were home for the early part of the day together - and he'd stopped to pick them up. In addition to the paper bag from the market, he also had a bouquet of white chrysanthemums in the crook of his elbow, which he'd spotted on his way to the check-out and thought of Lily and how she'd been feeling ill all week and he wanted to cheer her up.

The house smelled of onions and carrots, peas and potatoes, squash and all the good things that went along with his favorite roast and he grinned, his mouth instantly salivating at the scent. "Oooh," he groaned happily, and he paused at the doorway to bend down and untie his Ministry work boots. He plodded, barefoot, into the kitchen, putting away the breakfast things he'd bought and reaching under the sink for one of the vases that Lily kept there. A quick jolt of his wand and an aguamenti charm had filled it with a bit of water and he stuck the bouquet into it, leaving it there on the counter for her. He peeked into the oven and saw a little roast in there, grinned at it, and closed the oven door, hastening for the stairs. 

"Evans?" he called out as he jogged up the stairs in his stocking feet, unbuttoning the twenty-eight buttons that zagged across his chest as he shrugged off the Ministry uniform vest and started unbuttoning the oxford shirt beneath it. He pushed opened the bedroom door, expecting her in there, but she wasn't there, either. His brow furrowed and he went to the closet, shrugging off the oxford and slinging it and the Ministry-issued vest into the hamper. He pulled out a plain grey t-shirt and changed into a pair of sweatpants, running his hand through his hair. "Oi, Evans, where are you?" he called out.

He was just about to head back downstairs, when the bedroom door opened and there was Lily, fresh out of a shower, her hair knotted up in a towel, face red from the water, her dressing gown 'round her, knotted at the waist, and her eyes bright. She grinned when she saw him, "James! You're home!" She went over and wrapped her arms around him. She still smelled of warm soap and her skin was warm to the touch as he pulled her close and gave her a kiss.

"Hey love," he said, grinning at her. "Did you cook or mum?"

"Me. Mum went to Minnie's for dinner."

"Yeah? Are the dogs coming over?"

"Nope, just us tonight," Lily replied. 

"Really?" James sounded surprised. It was hardly ever just them. He smiled, and kissed her again.

"I wanted to surprise you with the roast," she said.

"I'm surprised," he grinned. "It had my mouth watering the second I smelled it."

"Brilliant," she answered. "I have another surprise for you also."

"Yeah?" he asked.

 "Yeah," she nodded.

"If it's butterbeer cookies, I may knock over with joy," James said, eyes sparkling.

"It has nothing to do with food," she said.

"Intriguing," he smirked, his eyes lighting up, and he murmured, "Does it have anything to do with our going to bed?"

"A little, but not the way you think," she answered, smirking. "Let me get ready real quick and then we'll go downstairs and eat dinner and I'll tell you about it."

"Alright," James said, nodding eagerly. Then, "Ought I to change?"

"No, you're alright," she said, "You look good in those joggers." 

"Yeah?"

"Yes," she flushed.

James grinned.

Lily used her wand to dry her hair and put on a pretty nightgown that hung about halfway down her thighs. It was shimmery and a soft green that brought out the color of her eyes, accented with tiny pearls embroidered along the neckline. James followed after her down the stairs, not sure if he was hungrier for the roast or for Lily herself.

"Oooh did you buy me flowers?" she gasped when she saw the chrysanthemums in the vase on the counter.

James nodded, "I thought of you when I saw them... I'm glad you're feeling better, I've felt sorry for you the last few mornings when you've been sick. Hopefully that stomach bug's passed you by, 'ey?"

Lily raised an eyebrow but didn't answer, instead waving her wand so the roast came out of the oven and set itself atop the stove to settle. James magicked a couple platters from the cupboard and Lily set a couple hunks of bread to warming in the vacated oven, butter melting on and all. James was pouring drinks when there was a funny sound and they both turned 'round to find a pearlescent fox standing in the room behind them.

Jasper Odair's patronus.

Lily burst into the waiting room at St. Mungo's, James right behind her carrying the newly reallocated chrysanthemums in their vase. Kevin, Michael, Nathan and Eli were sitting on the floor, a board game between them on the carpet, and Jasper was pacing the room, his face pale and eyes wide, still wearing the Florean Fortescue's apron and cap, wringing his hands frantically. 

"Jasper!" Lily cried, hurrying over to him and wrapping her arms around him. "We came as soon as we got your patronus!"

"Hey mate," James said, stepping up and patting Jasper on the shoulder.

Jasper's eyes were wild as he looked at them and he said, "I'm going to be a Dad! Again!" he added, catching the boys looking up at him. His voice shook with excitement.

"I know!" James exclaimed and he laughed as Jasper turned to him and gave him a very enthusiastic hug. "Blimey, careful the flowers, Jas!"

"Sorry. Oh they're nice. Are they for Meg?"

"Yes," James answered.

"Mums for the mum!" Jasper laughed, "Very clever!"

"Happy accident, really," James said as Lily laughed.

Jasper's patronus had announced at Meg was on her way to Mungo's to give birth to their long expected twins, and asking if the Potters could come and help him keep an eye on the boys so he could be in the room with Meg during the birth. Of course James and Lily had scrambled to prepare things at the house and get to Mungo's, Lily's plans for the evening forgotten as they rushed to step up to help their friends with their new arrivals.

"How soon? Did they give you any idea?" Lily asked.

"They said they'd be back in a few minutes for me," Jasper answered, voice quavering with excitement. "I was switching out the drums of Forbidden Fudge Chocolate and she suddenly comes into the shop, says she thinks it's time, and lo 'n' behold but her water breaks right on the spot!" Jasper shook his head, incredulous. "Luckily Harry Warbeck happened to be in the shop and I asked him to close it up for me and here we are! I sent the patronus right after we got here - sent one to Hogwarts as well. You reckon someone will run Oliver here for us?"

"Of course, I'll bet they'll be on their way in no time!" Lily answered, nodding, "Oh how exciting!"

Jasper nodded, cheeks bright.

On the floor, Eli whined that he didn't want to play Mollopolly anymore and Michael very impatiently was trying to explain to him  why he didn't have a choice but to keep on playing 'til somebody won, but Eli didn't wanna hear it. Nathan accused him of just not wanting to play on account of him being in last at the moment, and Kevin told Michael to relax, it didn't matter if Eli wanted to cash out to just let him cash out and forfeit the game. "It doesn't count if he doesn't finish playing!" Michael argued.

James put the chrysanthemums down on a little table and sank to the floor with the boys. "I'll play in Eli's place so he can have a break, how's that?" he interrupted the argument.

The boys agreed that was fair and Eli, free of the game, hurried over to Lily, who happily picked him up and wrapped her arms around him, her arms aching to hold a little one anyway. She squeezed him tight, "Hey sweetie," she said, smiling at him as he nuzzled against her. "Are you excited for your new siblings?"

"Yeah," Eli murmured.

"He's never been an older brother before," Kevin said.

Lily looked at Eli, "Never?" she asked.

"Never!" Eli answered, rubbing his eye with one of his fists. 

"Oh my goodness. I've never been an older sister before but I've heard it's a very, very big deal," Lily said, playing along with a childish imagination. "Are you ready for such a great big responsibility?"

"Yeah!" Eli answered.

"I'll bet you're the best big brother --"

"What about me?" Nathan asked.

"I'm sure you'll be the best, too!"

"Am I the best?" Michael asked.

"You all are!" Lily answered. "And Oliver, too."

Kevin was hanging James some property cards that he'd been holding for Eli. Within a few minutes, Lily and Eli were spectators as James and the other three boys played a vicious round of Monopoly in which Eli-slash-James was quickly winning. They were so engrossed that it was barely noticed when Emmaline Vance came for Jasper and led him out of the room to go to the birthing center, and only slightly more noticed when Professor Flitwick entered the room, trailing Oliver Kent and Wally Grant. Oliver was clutching Wally's hand with excitement as they came in the room. 

"Did we miss anything?!" he asked, panicked.

"Not yet!" Lily answered. She thanks Flitwick for bringing the boy by, and he said it was no problem at all. He gave Oliver a special password that would allow him to get back into the castle by floo powder when he was ready later that evening and departed to leave the family alone to welcome in the babies.

Sirius showed up shortly after Oliver had. The first thing Sirius did as he entered the room was make eye contact with Lily, who shook her head, and Sirius looked let down a moment before swinging into excited mode for Jasper, throwing himself down on the floor by the kids. "Where's Remus?" Lily asked.

"He stayed home to read," Sirius answered. "I just wanted to check in..."

"I'm sure you did," Lily said pointedly and Sirius grinned. 

James managed to win the Monopoly game in Eli's honor, which had Eli crowing with delight as though he'd been the one who'd been playing his seat when he'd won. "Yes yes yes yes!" he cried, "I'm good at Molypolly, aren't I?" he asked.

"Most excellent," James nodded.

And then the door burst open and Jasper came into the room again, nearly an hour after he'd left, his forehead sweat-covered and his eyes dreamily wide. "They're here!" he cried, "They're here! They're here!"

Everyone burst to their feet and surrounded him excitedly.

"ODAIR HE IS!" Sirius cried. "ARE YOU A DADDY ODAIR?"

"I'M A DADDY!" Jasper cried, excitedly, nodding.

"What are they?" Kevin asked.

"What are their names!?" Oliver asked.

"Girls!" Jasper announced.

"GIRLS?!" Nathan whined.

"Oh no not girls," Michael groaned.

"We have sisters!" Kevin exclaimed.

Eli was clapping.

"What are their names?!" Oliver pressed, excitedly.

"Francesca and Farah," Jasper announced. "Frankie and Farah as we'll call them, though."

"FRANKIE AND FARAH!" cried Oliver, Michael, and Eli at the same time.

Kevin was grinning and hugged Michael as Oliver hugged Nathan and Eli went on clapping from his perch on Lily's hip. 

"Brilliant names, Jaz," James said encouragingly.

"I wanna see them!" cried Eli.

"You can soon," Jasper promised, planting a kiss on Eli's forehead.

"I can't wait to meet them!" Michael added.

Jasper nodded, "I can't wait for you to!"

"Congratulations, Odair," Sirius said.

Jasper was flushed with joy, hugging each of the boys, and then Sirius and Lily as he spoke, "I can't believe this is happening."

James smiled, "I'm really happy for ya, mate," he said, and he gave Jasper a good strong hug. A slight bit of sadness behind the smile than James really meant to allow to show. But Sirius saw it and he glanced at Lily, eyebrow raised as if challenging her to tell him now, but she shook her head again.

"Give us just - just a few minutes for her to recover, and I'll come show you lot where she's at as soon as they give us a room, so you can come and see them!" Jasper promised and he ducked out of the waiting room, eager to get back to his girls.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.1K 890 60
What happened during the Marauder Era. Disclaimer: there a little bit of cursing , innuendos, and all around not appropriateness. This is also my fir...
102K 4.1K 130
"We're friends. We're the Marauders. We stick together, remember?" "Yes, Moony. I remember." One of them was mischievous and brave and had the perfec...
13.1K 564 34
'You can call me anything, for I am many things. But trust me, if you value your life.... Don't Call Me Traitor.' Marauders era. ...
4.3M 149K 89
"You should tell him, you know," a familiar voice softly said from behind her. "I know you love him." "Remus," she began turning around to face her...