AN EPIPHANY ;mashle

By orterhours

❝ the world isn't so dull when you do things for yourself. ❞ ᝰ.ᐟ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎mashle x f! reader IN WHICH︎︎... More

ᝰ.ᐟ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎characters
one ;an order
two ;an exam
three ;a path
four ;a bloodthirst
five ;a flight
six ;an admonition
seven ;an extension
eight ;a burial
ten ;a wager
✦ RAYNE.bunny in the rain
eleven ;an oddity
twelve ;an immersion
thirteen ;a tool
fourteen ;a difference
fifteen ;a spark
sixteen ;an exposition
seventeen ;an evocation
✦ DOT.mesmerise me
eighteen ;a twist
nineteen ;a sacrilege
twenty ;a vehemence
twenty-one ;an epiphany
✦ .﹀﹀﹀﹀ .✦
ᝰ.ᐟ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎ ︎︎characters (ii)

nine ;a purpose

3K 179 129
By orterhours

︎︎

ᝰ.ᐟ

︎︎
︎︎
︎︎
︎︎
it was far past midnight, and you were skimming through numerous documents and record of transactions made within the past half a decade. the candlelight flame was diminishing ever so slowly as your eyes scanned through each and every text, searching for even the slightest hint and relation to your current situation with your twin siblings.

five hours into your investigation, you were getting no where with your research. it frustrated you, flipping through the stapled sheets with more haste. you were barely through with the pile, only half way in and yet each document felt like it was endless.

your eyes stung and you softly groaned, slowly putting your head down. you couldn't stop here, the next document could have crucial information. you needed to continue, but it felt like your head was being hammered repeatedly.

a small shut-eye wouldn't hurt, right?

you perked up at the sound of light knocking on your door, breaking you out of your drowsy and irritable state as you stood up to answer the door.

twisting the knob, the man you'd be faced with at your doorstep was not who you expected. moreover, you doubted that he was even meant to be here at the moment.

"...rayne?"

the divine visionary stood before you, the usual blank look on his face. his eyes narrowed at the dark circles forming beneath your eyes, eyebrows furrowing before spotting the dancing flame of the candle and the messy documents behind you.

"why're you still up?" sternly, he questioned as you rubbed your eyes in hopes that your headache would quell even in the slightest.

"don't you have matters to tend to? what're you doing here?" you answered questions with questions, opening the door a little wider to invite him in.

"don't dodge the question. what are those documents for?" he sighed, waltzing into your solitary dorm.

"aren't you...? nevermind. they're for an investigation." you shook your head, running your fingers over the edge of the papers.

"and you?" you crossed your arms, staring at the third-year who was scanning through a few documents.

"i came back to retrieve something. my return will be short." he muttered, paying more attention to the documents. judging from the look on his face, you could assume that he was wondering why you were investigating on such matters.

"wahlberg spoke to you about it, didn't he?" you sighed, sitting on the chair while rayne sat on the edge of your bed.

"on the falsified letter?"

"falsified? was it so?" you repeated. the old man didn't mention anything about the letter being falsified.

"it was later discovered that the bureau had not sent any letters to you. either way, why conduct your investigation at easton?" he flipped through more documents, some you hadn't read.

if the bureau hadn't sent any letters, you were sure it had to be the doing of your siblings. the discovery could only point to more plotting, and it urged you to crack the case before it was too late to act.

"free room, free food." it wasn't a total lie, but you figured it'd be best to keep the full truth from him. you may have known him for years, since childhood, but given that he was a divine visionary, it was certain that he was strict on his duties, and you couldn't be sure whether he'd rat you o─

"give me the whole truth, (y/n)." he put the documents down, giving you a stoic look, yet his face easily read 'you're a terrible liar'.

wow.

"ask any more and i'll kill you." you gave him a slight glare.

"would you, now?"

"...no."

rayne sighed, standing up from your bed without a word as if he had seen right through your means of being at easton. he neatly placed the documents back on your desk before picking you up with no effort from the back of your collar.

"what are you doing?" you asked, suspicion evident in your tone.

rayne briefly paused. he walked over to your bed, which wasn't too far of a distance, but you made your attempts to break free anyway... though, they were futile.

he dropped you onto your bed, and before you could even spring back up, he had you pinned down to the mattress.

"let me go, rayne..!" you wriggled against him, but you lacked the energy to make any significant effort.

"sleep." he merely said, refusing to let you go until you gave in.

"do you plan on making me?" you clicked your tongue.

his gaze lingered on you for a good second before he leaned down.

inching closer to your face, he whispered something that would make you shudder in an instant. his words were firm with confidence, as if threatening you.

you had never seen him speak so boldly.

"...i'll- i'll sleep, so let go of me already." you mumbled. he got off you with a satisfied hum.

"you care too much for me, rayne..." you lifted the covers over your body, softly muttering and slurring your words.

exhaustion soon seeped in. it wasn't long before you were out cold, comfortably sleeping even with the company of the older brother in your room and the confidential documents out in the open for him to read.

on the other hand, rayne had taken his seat on your chair. he separated the documents that were already read and the ones that had yet to be looked into.

"how can i not care for you?" he mumbled in response, though barely audible, as he read the papers.

little did he know that he would find some rather intriguing texts on the sheets of papers, especially a document that would be the very reason you were privately doing this investigation in the first place. even so, you trusted that rayne wouldn't question on anything that wasn't his concern.

throughout the rest of the night, he had picked out the documents he believed to be helpful even in the slightest for you and returned the rest of the unimportant ones. it was a hefty pile of documents, so he left the ones that were unread on your desk, leaving it to you.

it was the crack of dawn by then, the glimpse of sunlight ever so slightly slipping in through your curtains and shining on your face.

the divine visionary had turned to savour one last look at you, knowing that it'd be awhile before you two could see each other again, and he couldn't help but stare at the sight a little longer.

in his eyes, the view was simply worthwhile. the peaceful look on your face, the way the sunlight radiated off your skin, the comforting silence occasionally broken by soft breathing, the way your hair had framed your face. in his eyes, it was definitely a view he wished he could witness more often.

he stepped closer to you, mindful of his steps to avoid creating noise that could wake you. reaching out a hand, he brushed a strand of hair away from your face before taking his leave.

you could've sworn you felt the warmth of a hand on your cheek.

︎︎
︎︎
⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

︎︎
︎︎
you really couldn't catch a break, could you? the day had just started, and yet both you and mash were being summoned by the headmaster.

"i assume you know why you were summoned?" wahlberg popped the question, seated high up.

"because i made cream puffs in the dorm kitchen without asking." mash answered, clueless and passing off his assault on the vice-principal and cavill.

"wrong. and you, (y/n)?" he turned his attention to you.

"i was told i'd be let off... what is this betrayal?" you grumbled, crossing your arms and avoiding eye contact with the director.

"...nevermind." wahlberg had sighed, shaking his head before turning his attention back to mash.

"you slammed young cavill into the floor and buried the vice-principal. actions that have caught the attention of the bureau of magic." the headmaster cleared his throat, addressing mash's recent acts of violence.

"see here. i received this notice from the bureau requesting your immediate expulsion. this goes the same for the 'unidentified accomplice' of the incident." he pulled out the notice, quoting from the sheet of paper.

"oh.. so that's his way of letting me off, huh?" you lowly muttered, eye twitching at being ridiculed so indirectly.

"the bureau of magic is this country's highest legal authority. it is no exaggeration to say they control this country. at the core of their organisation are the divine visionaries." wahlberg started to speak about the system of the country, setting down the sheet of paper.

'but really, fuck the system.'

"this academy furnishes the bureau with those qualified to be divine visionaries. in essence, it is our role to raise the next generation of government employees." he continued. you were getting bored.

"as i'm sure you're aware, young cavill is the son of a high-ranking member of the bureau. in other words... you have done something unforgiveable." he concluded, alas.

your head perked up seeing the atmosphere shift around the headmaster.

"however..." he slammed his hand on the notice, picking it up.

"what is even more unforgiveable is a world where the caring are at a disadvantage." similarly to your situation prior, he had engulfed the notice in flames.

'fuck the system, indeed.'

your lips twitched into a small smirk of amusement. this wahlberg dude had actually piqued your interest, bending the rules for a lackmagic like mash and a tainted person like you. his beliefs were truly empowering, you dared to admit.

"i've been concerned with the current state of the world. which is why i took on this position several years ago. power and authority are concentrated in the hands of the self-serving. we have frighteningly few people like you, who will risk themselves to act."

"the divine visionaries who lead the bureau have a role. that role is to carefully consider what the people desire. that is why i sincerely hope that some day, someone like you will become a divine visionary." wahlberg hinted at the idea, before his gaze shifted towards you.

"that is... if you're willing to give up the position, (y/n)." he considered.

truth be told, it was long decided that you would take the place of the night cane by the end of your first year ─ the spot being vacant for too long would cause trouble and spike confusion amongst the people. thus, after numerous recommendations from the divine visionaries, you were permitted to partake in the selection exams despite not meeting the age requirement.

(y/n) kairos, the sole participant of the selection exams to clear every single hurdle with minor effort, as well the sole nominee to be a divine visionary, was only at age 13 at the time.

all was according to expectations, leading to you inheriting the night cane, your brother's, position, and you would be officially recognised as a divine visionary by the end of your first year.

however, if things were to take a turn, if mash were to take the spot reserved for you... you were intrigued by the complications it would create.

"fine by me. i doubt there'd be a difference even if i didn't become a visionary." you shrugged with a light smirk.

"lucky for you. i already plan to." mash finally spoke up, giving his input on the suggestion.

"hohoho! that's the spirit." wahlberg laughed, grinning at the two of you.

"allow me to explain how you will do that." he started up again.

"uh, i think it's best that i handle the explaining." you butted in, taking a step forward.

"i'm afraid he might get a little... overloaded?" you squinted at mash, recalling the words of his adoptive father.

"hmm..? very well, then. i will handle the vice-principal and the bureau of magic." wahlberg allowed your initiative without question.

"do you understand, mash, (y/n)? i am counting on you both." the headmaster clarified.

"'kay." mash nodded while you gave a small smile.

"i will be going now. are you coming with, (y/n)?" he bowed before turning to you.

"there's one more thing i need to discuss in private. you can go first, just don't forget to call for me if you're in trouble." you gave him a small wave. mash only nodded before taking his leave.

in the absence of unnecessary listeners, you turned to wahlberg who had teleported in front of you. you reached into your cloak, pulling out another talisman and ripping it as per usual. you reached into the white portal, pulling out a short stack of documents.

"with a little help, i've managed to follow through with your request." you handed wahlberg the documents.

"you're terrifyingly capable, aren't you? i expected you to take at least a week." the headmaster chuckled, receiving the papers with a content hum.

you had to thank rayne some time soon for his help, or you were, too, sure that you would've taken some days to complete the investigation over paperwork.

"hm. i see." wahlberg muttered, the look on his face darkening as he read in on the record of transactions.

most of which were shady and went against the law, but the recorded culprits were framed thieves trying to feed themselves.

"thank you for your hard work. don't worry about the bureau, for now, just enjoy yourself." he placed a hand on your head, a smile on his face.

you nodded, unsure of how to react to the sudden gesture.

but honestly... it wasn't so bad.

︎︎
︎︎
︎︎
︎︎
ᶻ 𝗓 𐰁

proofread.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.5K 935 12
SEE no evil HEAR no evil SPEAK no evil Traits to never let evil overshadow a pure soul. A soul that is kind, accepting, and delicate. the strong prot...
6.8K 373 16
| 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 a philosophic student found a delight in ruining her self-proclaimed friend's life, the Desert Cane. "Love and hate are two sides...
36.6K 1.4K 20
MASH BURNEDEAD X READER The no-magic boy meets a child prodigy who comes from a narrow minded society A/n: people who like reading family trauma/not...
32.6K 1.5K 6
"ᴅᴏɴᴛ ᴡᴏʀʀʏ, ɪ'ᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛʀᴏɴɢᴇꜱᴛ!" Said the girl, grinning. Her ocean blue eyes gleamed as the older man stood infront of her in shock. IN WHICH, The s...