Ambition and Destiny

By purple-butterfly2002

Ambition is the fire that burns within us, propelling us forward even when we stumble and fall into the abyss... More

My Characters#1#
πŸ‘‘ Chapter one πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ chapter two πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Three πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter four. πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Five πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Six πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Seven πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Eighth πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ chapter nine. πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Ten πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter eleven πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twelve πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter thirteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Fourteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter fifteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘chapter SixteenπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Seventeen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘Chapter EighteenπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter nineteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘Chapter Twenty πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter twenty-one πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-two πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-Three πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-four πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-five πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘Chapter Twenty-sixπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-eightπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-nine πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter ThirtyπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Thirty-one πŸ‘‘

πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-seven πŸ‘‘

30 1 0
By purple-butterfly2002

It was a cold and silent morning. Annie felt completely paralysed and unable to move any part of her body. Soon, the maids entered her room and began dressing her and cleaning the chamber. Shortly after, a physician arrived to check on her condition. With a nod of satisfaction, he confirmed that she was improving and only needed to eat well to regain her lost weight.

Lost in thoughts, she absentmindedly caressed the petals of the white lilies that Henrik had brought the previous night.

The door opened, and Henrik appeared. "Annie, Good morning, how do you feel today?"

I tried to smile at his concerns for me, but my expression betrayed me.

"Fine, I guess."

"I've been informed by the physician that your body is improving, but you still need to eat well," he commented with a concerned look.

She gave a quick nod, her face clouded with a gloomy expression.

"If you are ready, I've arranged your meeting with the king, "he said, offering a supportive pat on her shoulder.

⟪ I wasn't ready for the meeting yet. I felt nervous and hesitant about what the king might do in the future. I was more afraid that the hand reaching out to help and support me might be harmed because of me. ⟫

Clutching her red dress tightly, she gracefully accompanied Henrik as they strolled down the grand corridor, which led directly to the revered king's opulent throne room.

With a steady breath, Annie straightened her posture and smoothed down her dress, steeling herself for the confrontation that awaited her. She couldn't afford to show any weakness, not when so much was at stake.

"Let's play the role of the good daughter and be his puppet if that's what he wants," Annie whispered to herself as the heavy door swung open, revealing the king seated on his throne.

Henrik gave her a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder before allowing Annie to enter.

⟪ Without a single word, I understood his intentions... I could read everything written on his face, but this time I managed to smile at him to reduce his worries.⟫

Annie turned her head straight ahead and walked forward, leaving Henrik outside as it closed behind her.

⟪ As I took each step forward, the memories of that fateful day flooded my mind, engulfing me in a wave of emotions. However, unlike before, I no longer walked with uncertainty or dread, for I had already experienced the hurtful loss of everything I held dear. If I were to encapsulate the overwhelming sentiment I felt at that moment, it could only be described as an intense rage. ⟫

"Annie," the king's voice rang out, echoing off the walls of the room. "I trust you are feeling better."

"Some may interpret these words as expressing worry and concern, yet to me, they are nothing more than a hollow question devoid of any real significance." Annie bowed in a delicate curtsy.

"Your Majesty, I deeply appreciate the care you have extended to me; it is thanks to you that I am currently doing well."

The king remained still as he observed her, assessing her body language. She seemed composed, her eyes unsmiling and devoid of emotion, tightly gripping the edge of her dress.

The king had crossed legs, his right hand brought up to his chin, his index finger resting against his cheek, and his thumb beneath her chin, suggesting a gesture of contemplation or interest.

Alexander could sense that she was concealing her emotions and putting up a brave front in front of him, despite her rebellious intentions. "What a bad actress!" he disdained her acting under his breath.

"I am pleased to hear you are recovering. I'm glad to see that your spirit has not been dampened by your adversity," the king commented on her answer.

"Your Majesty." Annie's eyes flashed with rebellion and defiance. "Despite my appreciation for those who have tended to my needs since I came here, your servants are not enough for me." She added, clenching her fist, "I have been feeling an immense loss since my father passed away. Nobody can replace the void that his absence has created in my life."

The king raised his eyebrow at her audacity and arrogance, traits he disliked, yet he couldn't display any hint of feelings when he responded, "What do you want me to do? Do you expect me to resurrect your father?" His tone was filled with cold yet cruel sarcasm.

Annie snapped her head up to the king; her eyes were full of anger and resentment, and she clenched her fists so tightly that the nails dug into the palm of her hands.

She said with her lips clenched tightly, "I know you can't resurrect my father, but I expect someone who's supposed to be my father figure to be more empathetic since I have no one now."

The king stayed silent, and she took that as a cue to continue.

"Here's what I need: If you want me to be a dutiful daughter who fulfils her responsibilities, studies hard, and obeys your wishes, please release Felix and his assistant from punishment."

The king finally broke the silence and responded in a sarcastic tone, "You want me to show empathy and leniency to a rebellious servant who conducted an unauthorised investigation?"

The silence stretched. The king seemed to be considering her request. "And if I don't release him? What then?" The king asked, his voice cold.

"So then be it." Annie's face was unchanging. She stared straight at him, unfaltering, yet her rage was simmering beneath the surface. "You would do well to remember that I have nothing to lose since the most precious person in my life has already been taken away from me."

In a swift motion, she reached into her sleeve and pulled out a gleaming knife, its cold metal glinting under the dim light. Without hesitation, she firmly pressed the blade against her own beating heart, displaying a mixture of determination and despair.

The king clenched his jaw and immediately stepped down from the throne towards her. She kept the knife pointed at her heart and didn't drop her gaze as she said, "You see, your Majesty, I am ready to die since there is nothing I value more than my life. You'll either have me dead or a dutiful daughter."

She remained calm and unfazed despite the intensity of the situation. The only hint of emotion she exhibited was the tear that streamed down her cheek.

"Are you trying to provoke me with a butter knife that can't even cut meat?" he spoke sharply, but with a wondering smirk.

Annie stared down at her hand, checking his words."Damn it, I did not pay attention to that."

Before she even lifted her gaze, his large, icy hand had swiftly ensnared hers, effectively preventing her from making any slight movements.

Alexander lifted her arm, which was still holding the knife. She tried to pull her trembling hand back but realised it was no use.

The king forcefully took the knife out of her grip and hurled it to the opposite side of the room. He grabbed her wrist again and forced her to look at him. "Do you dare pull a trick like that again? Are you trying to push me to my limits?"

With a defiant tilt of her chin, Annie met the king's gaze head-on, remembering his words back in the afternoon teatime: "If you have desires, you have better say them right in the face."

She spoke. "You'll not intimidate me," she declared, her voice tinged with defiance. "I will do whatever it takes to ensure justice for Felix, even if it means facing your wrath."

The king spoke in a calm and steady tone, yet his disdain was evident in every line of his words. "You are a bold little miss," he admitted, his voice dripping with sneer. "But perhaps your boldness will serve you well in the end."

With a dismissive wave of his hand, the king turned away from Annie. "Very well," he conceded. "You may have your precious cousin back, but do not expect me to show such leniency again. The next time you overstep your bounds, there will be consequences."

"As you wish, Your Majesty," Annie replied with a defiant tilt of her chin.

Annie remained in the throne room until she finally received the official royal decree that would grant Felix his freedom. As she read the words on the parchment, a sense of immense relief washed over her, as if a heavy burden had been lifted from her shoulders. She smiled and gave a short laugh before continuing on her way out.

Everything has a price. In exchange for Felix's release, she acquiesced to the king's desire to make her a princess. In the end, she had nowhere else to turn.

In the end, she reluctantly agreed to the deal, hoping that she could still find a way out of the palace before the official coronation ceremony that would bring her closer to becoming a true princess. Recognizing that interrogating the king would only exacerbate the situation, she resolved to uncover the truth independently.

As Annie departed from the palace, heading to the Clifford Mansion, she was gazing out of the carriage window, contemplating the events that had brought her to that point. Annie was left without any answers after her father was murdered, yet her determination remained unwavering.

"Annie, is everything alright?" Henrik's voice was filled with genuine concern, his eyes searching hers for any sign of distress. "You seem lost in thought. Is there something on your mind?"

He waited patiently for her response, giving her the space and time she needed to gather her thoughts.

"Whatever happened between you and the king, Annie, I want you to know that you are not alone," Henrik assured her, his voice warm and comforting. "You don't have to face this on your own. We'll get through it together, whatever it is."

Annie turned her head to face Henrik, her facial expression softening as she let her mind settle a bit.

"Thank you," she said softly. "I'm glad to have you here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 184 42
"people can do worse things than kill you" Oh how trust was broken in the most brutal way possible. A crown that comes with the lives of people and b...
3.2K 129 21
Melody didn't know her real parents. She's lived with her guardian Betty her whole life. She's content and happy, but thats about to change. Her worl...
4.2K 1.2K 33
❛Some women fear the fire and some simply become it...❜ A 17 year old girl, who also happens to be an infamous assassin, named Red ends up in the Roy...
170 8 6
Annie is a senior high school girl with lots of worries in her head. While she only wants to party and have fun with her friends her chaotic mind doe...