Forevermore

By ashesinthewind_

(Slow updates/Hiatus) Indi, an aspiring artist and the daughter of one of the best baseball players of all ti... More

A.N & T.W's
Playlist & (Main) Characters
✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight

Eighteen

1K 26 15
By ashesinthewind_

I'm currently driving my dad's Buick with Linh in the passenger and the rest of my friends in the back. We're all in our pajamas, driving back to Layla's house with our gas station treats.

The music coming from the car's speakers gets cut off when my phone starts ringing with a call.

I glance down and see Lucas's contact information. He's currently at the homecoming dance, which means that if he's calling me, of all people, something's wrong.

"Sorry guys," I say. "I should probably answer this."

Since my phone is connected to bluetooth, my brother's voice is audible through the speakers once I answer the call. "Indi, remember all those times I was the best brother in the whole entire world and you loved me very much?"

I let out a deep sigh. That is obvious code for I need a favor.

"What's wrong, Lucas?"

Music is softly playing in the background, and I hear him talking with someone else. "No, you tell her. You– fine."

A second later, someone else's voice comes through the line. "Indigo," Ezra says. I'm not sure why he had to call me from Lucas's phone, but I don't ask. "Remember that one time I–"

"Cut to the chase, please," I cut him off. "I'm with my friends."

"Oh," he sounds considerably disappointed. "Right, um, just forget it then."

"What do you need?" Impatience fills my tone.

His sigh is so loud, it sounds like he blew his breath right over the microphone. "This is really embarassing so don't tell anyone, but–"

"You're on speaker," I cut him off again. "Just tell me what you need and I'm there."

"I need you to come pick me up."

I don't bother asking if my dad can do it because tonight is Dad's first night playing baseball in years. Not professionally, but for recreational purposes. I can tell how excited he's been and I do not need to interrupt that game.

Thankfully, we're stopped at a traffic light which gives me leeway to close my eyes in exasperation. "Isn't the school like a mile away from the house? You can walk that, right?" His silence speaks volumes. I let out another sigh before saying, "You're not at the school." Less of a question, more of a confirmation.

"I am so sorry. Charlotte's throwing her own party–"

"Hold on." I glance around at all my friends who don't look as frustrated as I thought they would. "You guys okay if I go pick him up? I'll come back." The second surprise is when they all nod. I raise my voice for Ezra to hear again. "Send me the address. I'll head over in like five minutes."

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

I'm standing outside a luxurious mansion with my back leaned against the Buick.

Despite having a dad who is completely loaded–and I mean stacked to the brim with money that could last generations–I haven't seen many mansions in my life. All I can do is stare at the architecture in awe.

I've already shot Ezra a text saying, I'm here. I'm waiting outside the car just so he can find me better.

It only takes a minute or two before I see Lucas walking Ezra out of the house. Lucas's steps are much lazier than his friend's, but I'm more focused on the slouch in Ezra's shoulders.

When they get to me, I see the lazy grin on my brother's face. Not only that, but I smell the stench that surrounds him.

"Are you drunk?" I bite out the words. "Dad would absolutely–"

"Don't you worry, little sis. I'm fine." He gives Ezra a push on the back and I ignore the way he just called me little sis when I'm older than him. "This guy on the other hand...not so much. He got stood up."

I look at Ezra, sympathy swarming through my blood when I see the tired look in his face. Instead of expressing that sympathy, I try to lighten the mood. "None of the girls on your roster could make it?"

He gives me a blank stare. "My roster?"

"The girls lined up at your door." My face heats up when I realize how weird that sounds.

"You think there are girls lined up at my door?" He tilts his head forward and I finally see a glimmer of something brighter in his eyes. Amusement.

I nod. "You're a baseball guy," I state. "And you have an approachable face."

The laugh that leaves his mouth is soft and a little breathy. At this moment, I wish there was such a thing as screenshotting sounds. I guess there are voice recordings, but I doubt they could capture his laugh in a way that does him justice.

Lucas lightly kicks my tennis shoe, pulling me out of my momentary trance. "Be nice. He just got stood up."

I frown. "I am being nice. Maybe you can't see it as a compliment because you think so highly of your ragged face from all that staring in the mirror."

Satisfaction grows further when Ezra continues laughing.

"At least I don't look like a deformed sloth," Lucas replies.

I burst out laughing. A deformed sloth. That is absolutely awful, yet such a unique insult that I can't help the boisterous sounds leaving me.

I notice, though, that Ezra's smile has fallen.

"Alright," I say, once I gain some composure. "Get in, passenger princess."

He raises an eyebrow, a humorous grin spreading across his lips. "Passenger princess?"

"Yup."

The last thing I hear is his snicker before I walk around the car to get into the driver's seat.

As he gets in, I put on my chill? playlist and turn the volume down. Pretty Boy by The Neighbourhood is the song that plays as I begin driving.

I can't help sliding a glance over at Ezra every once in a while. The palpable disappointment in his features hurts to see.

It takes a few minutes to gain courage, but once I do, I softly tell him, "She's missing out."

Through my periphery, I see him look over at me then shift in his seat. "I'm fine."

"I know. But it's okay if you're not." I subconsciously grab the wheel with more pressure. "If you want, we can hang out for the rest of–"

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't need your pity."

That knocks the breath out of me. His tone isn't harsh, but I still feel a little embarrassed about the rejection.

It's not like I'm pitying him, though. I genuinely just care about him

"I'm sorry, it's just..." Ezra lets out a sigh. "It's not exactly ego-boosting to watch a dance happen from the sidelines after being the reason our team lost tonight."

My heart is slowly cracking down the middle for him. He deserves nothing but the best and it's maddening to think someone would leave him hanging like that.

"I get that," I whisper. "For what it's worth to that ego of yours, I'm finding it hard to believe no one asked you to dance while you look so nice." My grip tightens even further on the wheel. My words are bold, yes, but it's unbearable knowing that he's letting this night get to him.

"Approachable?" A hint of humor slides through his quiet voice.

"Yes, and..." I look over at him for the quickest second before returning my eyes to the road. "Pains me to admit, but you are conventionally...you know."

"Enlighten me."

A heavy breath leaves my nose. "You know where I'm going with that."

"I'd rather you say it," he says.

"You're handsome." I wince at the fact that I just used such a grandma-esque compliment. "Conventionally. It's a simple fact. And a handsome guy wearing a suit is not one that spends the night alone." I'm silent for a moment before hurrying to add, "Dance-wise, I mean."

He lets out another breathy laugh. "Maybe I should've brought you with me instead." His words cause my heart to temporarily pause. "You're much better company than the rest of the girls at school."

My eyebrows pinch together. "You can compliment me without bringing other girls down, you know."

"Sure," he says. "But it's true that I personally enjoy your company more than Elena's. That is, considering the fact that we've talked twice since she asked me after our first interaction in Child Development."

I try to hide the shock coursing through me. She asked him and then stood him up? Who even does that?

"No pity, Indigo," he says. "My ego bruises are healed from your...generous compliments. Although, I'm still not sure if conventionally handsome is a compliment."

It's more than a compliment, is what I think to myself, though I'm not even sure what that means.

"It is, don't worry."

We don't say anything else for the rest of the drive back to his house. It's only a few minutes, but I wish it was longer. Just being in his presence overwhelms me with serenity.

I feel almost mournful when I pull up beside his house and he opens the door. "Let me know if you rethink the whole hanging out thing, alright?"

He looks over at me, the smile on his face doing odd things to my stomach. "Don't worry about me. Go have fun with your friends."

"Call me if you want," I tell him. "Please."

"If I need," he says, "then I'll call you. Goodnight, Indigo."

"Night, Clancy."

And with that, he shuts the door.

I wait until he disappears into his house before I drive off. And the oddest thing happens the whole way to Layla's house.

I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face.

Not because I'm happy that he got stood up. I think I simply just enjoy Ezra.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

497K 12.2K 37
Gracie May is a shy nerdy girl with major trust issues especially when it comes to guys. Her simple life gets turned upside down the moment 'Ryan Gr...
113 3 5
Two high school friends get back together after years . It's a romance story with some anxiety trouble. (I don't want to spoil much so that's why I...
4.7M 119K 40
Luke has been in love with his best friend, Taylor, for too long now and it's getting difficult to be around him. He knows it's time to move on and f...
5.3K 858 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...