SERENDIPITY ~ A. Chase

By -laurelwreaths

SERENDIPITY | "She wasn't expecting serendipity. Especially, not in her life or with her enemy." โ”€the effect... More

SERENDIPITY
Playlists
Graphics
Act 1
i ~ Toilet Troubles
ii ~ Capture the Flag
iii ~ Quest of Death
iv ~ Bus Goes Boom
v ~ Killing a Snake Lady
vi ~ A Positively Precious Pink Poodle
vii ~ Kelphead Basically Dies . . . Again
viii ~ Check Fugitive Friend Off The List
ix ~ Lunch with Father Dearest
x ~ What's Black and White and Free in Vegas
xi ~ A Free Crusty Dusty Height Adjustment
xii ~ Three Heads Is Better Than One
xiii ~ We've Been Fooled, What a Surprise
xiv ~ Warpath's Dad Gets a Shower
xv ~ Frenemies Isn't the Worst
xvi ~ Betrayal By a Friend, The Worst Kind
Act 2
i ~ Bullriding At Its Finest
ii ~ There is... Some Family Resemblance
iii ~ Yay, Monstrous Man-eating Birds
iv ~ Lava is Great Dish Soap
v ~ Trespassing on the Princess Andromeda
vi ~ Well, Luke's a Bitch
vii ~ Hey Sis... Long Time No See
viii ~ Cassie and Clarisse are an Explosive Duo
ix ~ An Island of Pretty Ladies? Sign Cassie Up!
x ~ Brainiac Gets Serenaded But Not By Cass
xi ~ Trying to Avoid the Belly of the Beast
xii ~ A Cocky Cyclops Gets Caught in a Chasm
xiii ~ A Brutal Battle Between Three Brothers
xiv ~ Guess What! Luke is Back, Back Again
xv ~ Cassie Gets Yeeted and Percy's Almost Defeated
xvi ~ Lacking Letters and Chariot Racing Take Two
xvii ~ Another Pawn Comes Into Play
Act 3
i ~ Doubtful Yet Delightful Dancing
ii ~ Brainiac Falls Off A Cliff
iii ~ Pitching Camp and Troublesome Decisions
iv ~ Lesson Learned, Thalia Can't Drive
v ~ Angering the Wine Dude and Nasty Nightmares
vi ~ The Oracle Comes To Visit
viii ~ The Nemean Lion Gets a Nauseating Snack
ix ~ A Friendly Chat with the Fabulous 'Fred'
x ~ Saddling up the Erymanthian Boar
xi ~ Gossiping with the Goddess of Love
xii ~ Deadly Disaster in the Desert

vii ~ The Crew's All Together

1.1K 89 119
By -laurelwreaths

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter seven ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
007. The Crew's All Together

└────── •✧• ──────┘

The Oracle was taking a beating. Serves her right for ignoring Cassie.

Percy and Grover had been chosen to carry the mummy back to the attic. Obviously not chosen from popularity.

Cassie went with them to waste some time. Also she didn't want to be near the Hunters right now.

"Watch her head!" Grover advised but a bit too late.

Bonk! Cassie cringed as Percy smacked the Oracle's face into the trapdoor. Dust rained down on them.

"Ah, man." The son of Poseidon backed up to inspect her. "Did I break anything?"

"I can't tell," Grover said bashfully.

Cassie shrugged, "Looks as old and wrinkly as ever."

The daughter of Ares decided to go first and hold the trapdoor open. That way the boys could pull the mummy in easier.

Once she was in the attic, they plopped her onto her stool and wiped off their sweat. Why did the mummy weigh so much?

"Alright, let's go." Cassie remarked, eager to leave.

The Oracle had gotten on her nerves enough already. Percy nodded along and he and Grover followed the brunette down the attic stairs.

"Well, that was gross." Grover stated.

The son of Poseidon hummed in agreement. Cassie noticed him spacing out a lot. Grover was keeping things light for the two.

Percy wasn't on good terms with a lot of the campers and he was now overwhelmed with the new prophecy.

Cassie on the other hand was irritated by the Oracle. It had completely ignore her question and focused in Zoë. Not one sign or hint regarding saving Annabeth.

"What will Chiron do?" Percy questioned.

"I wish I knew." Grover replied before looking out the window dazed. "I want to be out there."

"Looking for Annabeth or...?" Cassie asked.

The satyr shook out of his little trance and his face flushed. "Oh, right. That too. Of course."

"Why? What were you thinking?" Percy raised an eyebrow.

Grover fiddled with his hooves nervously. "Just something the manticore said, about the Great Stirring. I can't help but wonder... if all those ancient powers are waking up, maybe I... maybe not all of them are evil."

"You mean Pan."

Percy felt bad. He had completely forgotten Grover's life dream of finding Pan. The satyrs never gave up, even after the nature god was rumored to be dead. They would find him.

For centuries they've searched and found nothing, but Grover knew he was meant to be the one to succeed. His search had come to a halt when Chiron put all the satyrs on emergency duty to find more demigods.

Cassie couldn't imagine how Grover was feeling.

Grover nodded. "I've let the trail go cold. I feel restless, like I'm missing something really important. He's out there somewhere. I can just feel it."

Percy wanted to support his satyr best friend but all his good spirits had been stomped on after capture the flag.

Cassie mustered an encouraging smile. "You'll find him Gro, I just know it."

Before anyone could say anything else, Thalia came trudging up the stairs. She stared directly at Cassie and said, "Tell Percy to get his butt downstairs."

"Why?" Said boy sighed.

"Did he say something?" Thalia turned to Grover.

"Um, he asked why?"

"Dionysus is calling a council of cabin leaders to discuss the prophecy. Unfortunately, that includes Percy." Thalia explained distastefully.

༻ ─── •✧💢✧• ─── ༺

Whoever chose to hold the council in the rec room around a Ping-Pong table was an idiot in Cassie's eyes.

Mr. D was in charge of the snacks and for some reason he chose Cheez Whiz, crackers, and several bottles of red wine. Chiron had to remind him that he was restricted from wine and that practically all of them were underage.

Dionysus sighed and changed the wine to Diet Coke with a snap of his fingers. Nobody drank that, but Cassie felt daring and took a sip of her glass. She was pleasantly surprised with Dr. Pepper.

Looking around the table, Mr. D and Chiron (in his wheelchair) sat at one end of the table. Zoë and Bianca di Angelo (who was like Zoë's personal assistant now) took the other end.

Cassie, Thalia, Grover and Percy sat in a row along the right with the other head councilors: Charles Beckendorf, Silena Beauregard, and the Stoll brothers on the left. The twins kept making stupid faces at Cassie who had to cover her laughter.

Zoë started the meeting off on a positive note. "This is pointless."

"Cheez Whiz!" Grover gasped excitedly. He took some crackers and Ping-Pong balls then sprayed on the cheese.

"There is no time for talk," Zoë rushed. "Our goddess needs us. The Hunters must leave immediately."

"And go where?" Chiron inquired. The centaur liked planning ahead of time.

"West!" Bianca exclaimed.

She looked really different from being a Hunter. Her hair was braided like most of the girls and she had freckles on the bridge of her nose. Those dark brown eyes of hers sparkled and Cassie couldn't help but miss a familiar pair of gray.

Percy could've sworn he knew someone famous that looked like Bianca. She had obviously been working out and the same moon glow surrounded her.

"You heard the prophecy. Six shall go west to the goddess in chains. We can get six hunters and go."

Zoë had a small smile on her face at how much Bianca was already growing. "Yes, Artemis is being held hostage! We must find her and free her."

"Great plan, if you could just bring six Hunters." Cassie sassed.

"You're missing something, as usual," Thalia agreed.
"Campers and Hunters combined prevail. We're supposed to do this together."

Zoë immediately protested. "No! The Hunters do not need thy help."

"Your," Thalia corrected under her breath. Nobody has said thy in, like three hundred years, Zoë. Get with the times."

Zoë sounded it out in her head and: "Yerrr. We do not need yerrr help."

Thalia scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "Forget it."

"I fear the prophecy says you do need our help. Campers and Hunters must cooperate." Chiron informed.

"Or do they?" Mr. D contradicted as he spun his diet coke can in his hand. "One shall be lost. One shall perish. That sounds rather nasty, doesn't it? What if you fail because you try to cooperate?"

"Mr. D, with all due respect, whose side are you on?"

"Sorry, my dear centaur. Just trying to be helpful."

"Helpful my ass," Cassie mumbled but luckily the wine god didn't hear her.

"We're supposed to work together. I don't like it either, Zoë, but you know prophecies. You want to fight against one?" Thalia snarked.

Zoë pursed her lips.

"We must not delay. Today is Sunday. This very Friday, December twenty-first, is the winter solstice." Chiron said.

"Oh, joy. Another dull annual meeting." Mr. D complained.

"Artemis must be present at the solstice. She has been one of the most vocal on the council arguing for action against Kronos's minions. If she is absent, the gods will decide nothing. We will lose another year of war preparations." Zoë held a determined look on her face.

"Are you suggesting that the gods have trouble acting together, young lady?" Dionysus raised an eyebrow.

"When are they not?" Cassie spoke.

"Yes, Lord Dionysus."

Mr. D shrugged, agreeing with the two. "Just checking. You're right, of course. Carry on."

Chiron nodded along, "I must agree with Zoë, Artemis's presence at the winter council is critical. We have only a week to find her. And possibly even more important: to locate the monster she was hunting. Now, we must decide who goes on this quest."

The centaur locked eyes with Cassie and the two had a silent conversation. Maybe Chiron was trying to warn her not to go, but the glare in the brunette's eyes was one that couldn't be swayed.

"Three and three," Percy offered.

Everyone turned to him. Thalia had forgotten to pretend he didn't exist.

"We're supposed to have six. Three Hunters, three from Camp Half-Blood. That's more than fair." The son of Poseidon reasoned.

Thalia, Cassie, and Zoë shared looks.

"Well, it does make sense." Thalia admitted

"Why not." The daughter of Ares shrugged.

Zoë seemed hesitant and dissatisfied. "I would prefer to take all the Hunters. We will need strength of numbers!"

Chiron disagreed. "You'll be retracing the goddess' path. Moving quickly. No doubt Artemis tracked the scent of this rare monster, whatever it is, as she moved west. You will have to do the same. The prophecy was clear: The bane of Olympus shows the trail. What would your mistress say? 'Too many Hunters spoil the scent. A small group is best'."

Zoë grabbed a Ping-Pong paddle and twisted it in her hands.

"This monster-the bane of Olympus. I have hunted at Lady Artemis's side for many years, yet I have no idea what this beast might be."

This time everyone turned to Dionysus. An immortal god like his should know things they don't.

Cassie raised an unimpressed eyebrow. The wine god was occupied flipping through a wine magazine. His attention was caught by the silence of the room.

"Well, don't look at me. I'm a young god, remember? I don't keep track of all those ancient monsters and dusty titans. They make for terrible party conversation." Dionysus replied, crushing their faith in him.

"Chiron, you don't have any ideas about the monster?" Percy questioned.

Cassie doubted that severely and Chiron proved her right.

"I have several ideas, none of them good. And none of them quite make sense. Typhon, for instance, could fit this description. He was truly a bane of Olympus. Or the sea monster Keto. But if either of these were stirring, we would know it. They are ocean monsters the size of skyscrapers. Your father, Poseidon, would already have sounded the alarm. I fear this monster may be more elusive. Perhaps even more powerful."

"That's some serious danger you're facing." Connor Stoll observed earning him a 'seriously' face from Cassie. "It sounds like at least two of the six are going to die."

"Thanks Connor. So helpful." The daughter of Ares quipped.

"One shall be lost in the land without rain," Beckendorf restated. "If I were you, I'd stay out of the desert."

Easier said than done...

"And the Titan's curse must one withstand. What could that mean?"

Cassie didn't like the nervous look Chiron and Zoë shared or the centaur's quick glance in her direction.

"One shall perish by a parent's hand. How is that possible? Whose parent would kill them?" Grover managed through Cheez Whiz.

The room went silent.

Cassie knew both Percy and Thalia were thinking about themselves. They were children of the Big Three. The next one who turned sixteen would be responsible for saving or destroying the gods.

Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades had made a pact not to have anymore children, but obviously that wasn't going well.

Percy thought back to one of his conversations with Annabeth. He had asked why the gods didn't just fry him if he was possibly so dangerous. She said something about them not wanting to offend Poseidon.

Would an Olympian parent really go against his demigod child? So far as to kill them?

If anyone had to worry it was Thalia and Percy. The son of Poseidon began to regret not getting his dad the seashell tie for Father's Day.

"There will be deaths," Chiron announced. "That much we know."

"Oh, goody!" Dionysus cheered giddily. The glare of a certain brunette made his eyes wander back to the paper. "Ah, pinot noir is making a comeback. Don't mind me."

"Percy is right," Silena Beauregard supported the boy. "Three campers should go."

"Oh, I see. And I suppose you wish to volunteer?" Zoë refrained from rolling her eyes.

Silena's cheeks warmed but she shook her head. "I'm not going anywhere with the Hunters. Don't look at me!"

"A daughter of Aphrodite does not wish to be looked at. What would thy mother say?"

Silena pushed away from the table and began standing from her chair. She was tugged back by the Stolls.

"Stop it," Beckendorf intervened. No one could argue with him.

"Let's start with the Hunters. Which three of you will go?" Chiron voiced.

Zoë rose. "I shall go, of course, and I will take Phoebe. She is our best tracker."

"The big girl who likes to hit people on the head!" Travis Stoll asked warily.

Zoë nodded.

"The one who put the arrows in my helmet?"

"Yes! Why?"

"Oh, nothing. Just that we have a T-shirt for her from the camp store. It's a collector's item. She was admiring it. You want to give it to her?" Travis lifted some court for them all to see.

Cassie narrowed her eyes to read the text: ARTEMIS THE MOON GODDESS, FALL HUNTING TOUR 2002. It was a large silver T-shirt and listed a bunch of natural parks. with a huge list of national parks and stuff underneath.

The Stolls were up to something but she wouldn't get in their way. Zoë was clueless to their mischievous reputation and took the shirt.

"As I was saying, I will take Phoebe. And I wish Bianca to go."

Bianca was shocked. "Me? But... I'm so new. I wouldn't be any good."

"You will do fine. There is no better way to prove thyself." Zoë reassured.

Bianca opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish. Percy could imagine how she was feeling. He remembered being told about his first quest. Lots of emotions were probably occupying Bianca's mind

"And for campers?" Chiron asked. He glanced to Cassie first and then Percy.

"I'm going." The daughter of Ares demanded before anyone else could say anything.

Zoë looked hesitant but she couldn't deny the brunette. Especially not after seeing her break down about Annabeth more than once.

"Why? Because of thy girlfriend Annabeth?" The lieutenant raised a brow.

Cassie felt her cheeks heat up for some reason. She nodded.

"She's not my girlfriend, but I trust myself to save her more than I trust you."

Zoë didn't complain and instead looked for the next volunteer.

"Me!" Grover shot up quickly, shaking the table. He brushed the crumbs off his clothes. "Anything to help Artemis!"

Zoë upturned her nose. "I think not, satyr. You are not
even a half-blood."

Thalia went to argue. "But he is a camper. And he's got a satyr's senses and woodland magic. Can you play a tracker's song yet, Grover?"

"Absolutely!"

Zoë seemed hesitant but gave in. "Very well, and the third camper?"

"I'll go." Thalia volunteered, standing up.

It was a silent gesture of, anyone willing to go against her? Percy was deep in thought.

His math skills weren't the best, but he could tell they'd reached six and he wasn't part of the group.

"Whoa, wait a sec, I want to go too." The son of Poseidon said.

Thalia stayed quiet and Cassie frowned. Chiron held a sad look on his face.

"Oh. Whoa, yeah, I forgot! Percy has to go. I didn't mean... I'll stay. Percy should go in my place." Grover offered.

"He cannot. He is a boy. I won't have Hunters traveling with a boy." Zoë shot down distastefully.

"You traveled here with me," Percy snapped.

"That was a short-term emergency, and it was ordered by the goddess. I will not go across country and fight many dangers in the company of a boy."

"What about Grover?"

"He does not count. He's a satyr. He is not technically a boy." Zoë admitted.

"Hey!" Grover sounded offended.

"I have to go. I need to be on this quest."

"Why? Because you want to follow thy friends?"

Percy scowled hating everyone's attention on him.

"No! I mean, partly. I just feel like I'm supposed to go!"

"Percy should come," Cassie agreed but she didn't know how he would.

Nobody spoke for the two. Mr. D kept his eyes trained on his magazine. Silena, the Stoll brothers, and Beckendorf were staring at some
speck on the table. Bianca offered a pitiful look.

"No," Zoe denied dryly. "I insist upon this. I will take a satyr if I must, but not a male hero."

Chiron sighed defeated. "The quest is for Artemis. The Hunters should be allowed to approve their companions."

Percy let himself fall back into his seat. His ears were ringing and he could feel the other's sympathetic stares, but he didn't meet them.

The son of Poseidon just sulked while Chiron ended the meeting.

"So be it. Cassie, Thalia, and Grover will accompany Zoë, Bianca, and Phoebe. You shall leave at first light.
And may the gods"-he paused to send Mr. D a look-"present company included, we hope-be with you."

༻ ─── •✧💢✧• ─── ༺

Cassie wasn't too cheerful that night. Percy hadn't shown up for dinner and the spirits weren't too high. The prophecy didn't sound that good.

"Cassandra," Chiron called as he and Grover walked by the Ares table.

"Yeah Chiron?" The brunette asked.

"We're going to see Percy! Come on!" Grover answered.

Cassie stood up and left her plate on the table. She followed the two as they headed to Cabin Three.

When they got to the turquoise building, Grover burst through the doors.

"Percy, I'm so sorry!" Grover profusely apologized, plopping next to Percy on the bunk. "I didn't know they'd- that you'd- honest!"

The satyr began sniffling and Percy started to pat his back. He didn't need Grover crying and chewing up random household objects

"It's okay. Really. It's fine." Percy lied with a fake smile.

Grover's lips quivered. "I wasn't even thinking... I was so focused on helping Artemis. But I promise, I'll look everywhere for Annabeth. If I can find her, I will."

"I'm not coming back without her. You know that Kelp Head, but I'm gonna miss you." Cassie says on the other side of Percy and offered the boy a side hug.

Both of them would be missing their rock, Cassie more so. Percy was one of the only things keeping her going these past few days. Without Annabeth and now without him, everything was just numb.

The son of Poseidon nodded, returning the hug. He avoided the feeling in his chest.

"Grover, Cassie, perhaps you'd let me have a word with Percy?" Chiron looked between the two.

Grover nodded, "Sure."

The centaur waited.

"Oh, you mean alone. Sure, Chiron." Grover spared Percy a glance. "See? Nobody needs a goat."

The satyr blew his nose in his sleeve and earned an eye roll from Cassie. She gave Percy's shoulder another squeeze before rising. The daughter of Ares threw her arm around Grover.

"I need you Gro. Bye, Percy. Don't do anything stupid. I'll miss you." Cassie shot him a peace signed and disappeared out the door with Grover.

The two went their own ways to pack their bags. Cassie ended up in her cabin, lying with her head stuffed a pillow.

She felt someone elbow her on both sides and groaned. "What?"

It was the Stolls twins. Cassie rolled over in her bed to see them.

"Hey Li!"

The brunette didn't buy it. "What did you do?"

"Do what?" Connor questioned innocently.

Travis feigned confusion. "We didn't do anything."

"Mhm. Sure you didn't." Cassie quirked an eyebrow before getting up. She picked up her half-full red backpack and began shoving more stuff in it.

"Don't forget this." Connor said, tossing her polaroid hand to hand.

Travis picked up Annabeth's blue yankees cap, "Or this!"

"Careful with that!" Cassie warned, snatching the hat from the twin.

She placed it on her bed delicately and took the polaroid from Connor. The daughter of Ares packed both in her bag. She made sure to put the hat in last so that it wouldn't be ruined.

Zipping up her bag, Cassie narrowed her eyes. "Okay, now what did you actually do?"

The twins shared a giddy grin. "Let's just say our friend Phoebe might not be going on the quest."

The brunette was surprised but at the same time not. "Wait, that means Percy can go!"

"I don't think that lieutenant-chick would let him, Li." Travis sighed.

Connor nodded. "She seems pretty uptight. Wonder what scolding we'll get tomorrow."

Cassie shrugged. "I'll cover for you."

The sons of Hermes smiled. "Thanks Cass! Now get so sleep for your quest tomorrow. Save your 'girlfriend'."

Cassie smacked Connor with a pillow as they were running out of the cabin. The brunette ignored the flutter in her stomach at the word. "She's not my girlfriend!"

༻ ─── •✧💢✧• ─── ༺

At some point of lying in her bed, Cassie fell asleep. She didn't remember when but the dream was as clear as day.

Back to that cave where the dark ceiling loomed. Annabeth was still holding up the same dark mass. Cassie's breath wavered.

Maybe it was from how small the room is and how she couldn't see past the darkness. But this time, Cassie's heart was being torn.

Annabeth was so drained. Her legs were shaky and the daughter of Ares knew she couldn't take much more.

At any moment she would run out of strength and the ceiling would come tumbling down.

"How is our mortal guest?" some male voice boomed in the darkness.

Definitely not Kronos. Kronos' voice was easily recognizable from its raspiness. Also, Cassie had heard it in her dreams once or twice.

This voice was lower and deeper. The ground rumbled with every word.

Luke rushed from the shadows and checked on Annabeth. "She's fading. We must hurry." He told the random guy.

Fucking hypocrite. Annabeth wouldn't even be fading if it wasn't for him. Cassie wanted to reach from her dream and just-

The deep voice let out a throaty chuckled. A beefy hand came forward and tossed someone into the light. Artemis.

The goddess hands and feet were shackled in chains. Cassie let out an audible gasp. Her dress was cut up just like her arms and face. Ichor, the blood of the gods fell from her wounds.

"You heard the boy. Decide!" The voice ordered.

Artemis' eyes filled with anger. She didn't like being ordered around. Cassie knew she'd break from the chains if she could but something was stopping her.

The goddess looked to Annabeth. Her face shifted to concern and outrage. "How dare you torture a maiden like this!"

"She will die soon. You can save her."

Cassie's heart clenched. "I wonder why she'll die soon you asshole!"

Annabeth let out a whimper of protest. The daughter of Ares was desperate to run to her.

"Free my hands," Artemis demanded.

Luke used Backbiter and cut the goddess loose.

Artemis rushed to Annabeth's side and took the burden herself. The blonde fell to the floor, shivering. Artemis stumbled, holding the weight.

"You are as predictable as you were easy to beat, Artemis." The mystery man taunted

"You surprised me. It will not happen again." The goddess vowed, her words strained from the burden.

"Indeed it will not. Now you are out of the way for good! I knew you could not resist helping a young maiden. That is, after all, your specialty, my dear."

"You know nothing of mercy, you swine."

"On that, we can agree. Luke, you may kill the girl now."

"No!" Artemis and technically Cassie screamed.

Luke stopped. "She-she may yet be useful, sir.
Further bait."

"Bah! You truly believe that?"

"Yes, General. They will come for her. I'm sure."

"Then the dracaenae can guard her here. Assuming she does not die from her injuries, you may keep her alive until winter solstice. After that, if our sacrifice goes as planned, her life will be meaningless. The lives of all mortals will be meaningless." Cassie could just hear his sinister grin.

Luke scooped Annabeth into his arms and brought her away.

"You will never find the monster you seek. Your plan will fail." Artemis said.

"How little you know, my young goddess. Even now, your darling attendants begin their quest to find you. They shall play directly into my hands. Now, if you'll excuse us, we have a long journey to make. We must greet your Hunters and make sure their quest is... challenging."

The man shook with laughter as well as the cavern. So much that it seemed to collapse. The dream faded into darkness.

Cassie woke with a start.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.5K 3.6K 23
The demigods are mortals in a death match. In this wild multi-pov story, there is only one Victor. And that's a promise. ยป---โ–ป featured by @Fanfic ยป...
5.7K 245 9
A house of cards โ” one wrong move and it's all fallen apart. Just like that. And it's all your fault. โ”โ”โ” Percy Jackson & the Olympians ...
10.6K 457 31
ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ, แด›สœแด‡ส แด€ส€แด‡ ๊œฑแด˜แด‡สŸสŸส™แดแดœษดแด… แดกษชแด›สœแดแดœแด› แด€ ๊œฑแด˜แด‡สŸสŸ. โ— _____ใ€Šยฐโ€ขโ—‹ \|/ โ—‹โ€ขยฐใ€‹_____ โ— "i love it when you do that," percy watched her with a smile. "do what?" "...