๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ฒ ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ข ๐œ๐ซ...

By fanficaddictedgorl

when Eponine Van Doren and her family move to her mothers hometown Voltaire, she's suspicious. Her mother see... More

author note
๐™˜๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ
playlist
TW
1, un bel รฉtranger
2, descamps perd son ล“il
3, partager une cigarette
4, les farces
5, un match de foot
6, une date d'รฉtude
7, vacances de noรซl
8, un bisou
announcement (not quitting!)
10, grenouilles
11, craintes
12, poรจmes
13, l'amour
14, rรชve de fiรจvre
15, vengeance
16, confessions d'un amant
17, la fin de l'annรฉe
18, aventures d'รฉtรฉ
รฉpilogue

9, un dรฉsaccord

902 38 12
By fanficaddictedgorl

Coming back to school made Eponine unnecessarily nervous. She loved seeing all her friends again, but she honestly didn't want to see Vergoux. She parked her bike on the farthest end of the bicycle parking, straightened her jacket and entered school grounds.

When Eponine entered the courtyard in their first break, two things caught her attention. First, Vergoux was nowhere to be found. She was very happy about that, and hoped that no one would make too big of a deal out of it. Second, all the boys were acting weird. They were huddled together, whispering and glancing at the toilets. Dupin and Joseph stood in front of the door, as if they were guarding it. A line of boys stood at the wall, one by one coming in and out of the toilets.

When the girls sat down, Simone and Michéle noticed too. "What are they all whispering about?" SImone wondered. "They're all so weird," Michéle grunted. Eponine nodded in agreement. She had a vague idea of what was going on, but knew nothing for certain.

"We could ask Pichon," Eponine offered. Michéle shot up. "Great idea! I'll go look for him." Michéle was far too curious, and was desperate to find out what was going on. Simone was about to stand up to tag along, when Eponine tugged at her wrist to sit her down.

"Stay, I've got updates," she whispered. "Okay, Michéle. Do tell us when he tells you!" she laughed. Michéle smiled. "Of course. Detective Magnan is off to work."

The moment Michéle turned around, Simone grabbed Eponine's hands. "Tell me everything!" she exclaimed excitedly.

"Okay so this is going to be a long update," Eponine laughed, "But on the last day of school I went over to his house to work on our presentation and he was actually very nice!"

Simone's jaw dropped. "Descamps and the word nice in the same sentence? Unheard of. Tell me more."

Eponine resumed. "After we finished up work, we went outside for a smoke break—"

"--Did you share the cigarette?" SImone interrupted. "That we did," Eponine smiled. "Eek! Shut up! That's too cute!" Simone gasped.

"And he kind of wrapped his arm around my shoulder so eventually we were practically hugging on his back porch?" Eponine said. Simone laughed. "You're telling me you hugged Descamps?"

Eponine giggled. "Well, we later did a little more than just that." Simone gasped audibly. "Did you-" she asked with shock, and Eponine's eyes went wide. "No! God no, not like that!"

"Brace yourself," Eponine said. Simone squeezed her hands. "Just tell me already!"

"Okay so, after I came back from London, my parents told me they married me off to the son of a business partner to help boost the business—"

"-They did WHAT?" Simone's jaw dropped. "Yeah girl, I know. I've been ignoring them ever since." Eponine rubbed her neck.

"Well, you said no of course, right?" Simone asked. Eponine's eyes trailed to the ground. "I said yes under the condition they wouldn't do the same to my little sister," she explained.

Simone's eyes were wet. "Come on, Nine." She grabbed her shoulders, and pulled her in. "You didn't have to do that."

Eponine buried her head in Simone's shoulder. "But I did, Sime. Colette's only eight years old, I can't look at her knowing I could prevent her from having to marry someone she doesn't even know."

SImone sighed. "But now, you're stuck with a random guy that you don't love," she said. Eponine gently grabbed her shoulders. "Sime, do you want to know who I have to marry? Because I think you wouldn't mind it too much."

"...Who is it?"

"Descamps."

Simone nearly fell off the bench. "What?!"

Eponine laughed. "I know, girl. I know. My parents dragged me to my fiancé's house to meet him, when I realised I was in front of his house," she explained. She glanced around the yard, and found him still standing in front of the toilets. He looked up, and smiled slightly when they locked eyes. She sent a small wave back, to which he turned around and quickly looked around. Almost like he didn't want people to see.

"Well that was weird," Simone said, "But I'm happy you at least know him a little." She swung her right leg over the other. Eponine laughed knowingly. "I know him better than just a little, Sime."

Simone raised a brow. "You've been avoiding telling me, just spill it!"

"When I was at his place for New Years, I ignored him because he'd known all along that we were engaged and didn't tell me. So he said he wanted to make it up to me, and we kissed." Eponine twirled her hair playfully. Simone laughed, "I knew it! So what was it like?"

"Surprisingly intense," Eponine said. Simone wiggled her brows. "He definitely knew what he was doing."

"So did Jean-Pierre. I'm telling you, he's magical," Simone giggled. But before Eponine could reply, she saw Michéle approach with an annoyed expression.

"Pichon said that I wouldn't understand it because I'm too immature and a girl," she moped. "Don't worry too much, Michéle. We'll find out," Eponine assured her.

Suddenly, Michéle turned to Simone. "Do you think you'll get married? To Eugéne?" she asked. Eponine's brows furrowed. "Who's Eugéne?"

Michéle's eyes widened. "You didn't tell Eponine yet?" she asked, and Simone shrugged. "I was about to tell her, but you came back."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Tell her!" Michéle encouraged. Simone looked nervous. "So, I'm seeing someone." Her hands fiddled, and her nervosity almost seemed real. If it hadn't been for the warning glint in her eye. Eponine quickly realised that Eugéne was Jean-Pierre, and went along with it.

"Oh my god! That's so nice," Eponine faked a laugh. "But do you think you'll marry him someday?" Michéle asked again, "Think he wants to go further?"

"I think it's a little too soon for that," Simone said, "And I don't really know what he wants."

Michéle sighed. "I hope I find a husband soon, get out of my parents' house." Eponine stretched her legs. "I wish I could stay at theirs longer," she started. Michele raised a brow in confusion.

"This vacation I was told they married me off," she sighed, "and I don't want you to worry at all. I'm fine, because it protects my sister. Also, the guy is really sweet, so he isn't an issue either. I'm just upset at my parents."

Michéle was shocked, but kept quiet. She didn't know what to say, so she just wrapped an arm around Eponine's shoulder.

. . .

During Douillard's Latin class, Eponine and Annick sat in front of Joseph and Dupin. Applebaum stumbled into the class late, which caused everyone to laugh. Eponine snorted, but her ears perked when Dupin said: "I told you he'd go deaf."

Annick and Eponine looked at each other with exasperated looks on their faces, rolling their eyes at the boys' behaviour. After Pichon told Michéle she was too immature to know what 'going deaf' meant, Eponine soon realised what he intended. They were looking at pornographic magazines. Stupid hormonal arseholes.

Miss Couret started her lesson. "Who here knows The Beatles?" she asked. Eponine and Pichon raised their hands. "Awesome, let's look into them!"

Class started, but the classes' attention wasn't on Miss Couret. Dupin and Joseph kept whispering to each other in hushed voices, and Eponine couldn't quite make out what they were saying.

Suddenly, Dupin leaned over the table at Annick's side and whisper-yelled at Applebaum. "Hey. Hey! Give it back," he said. Applebaum's head turned, but kept his face forward. Eponine's cheeks flushed slightly when Joseph leaned forward too, his head right next to hers.

"Are the pages stuck together?" he asked, his voice rough. But Applebaum just told them to shut up, so Couret wouldn't hear them. Dupin and Joseph sank back into their chairs.

Applebaum reached into his bag, and fished out the magazine. He reached over the tables between them to hand it over, but Annick swiftly snatched it away. She stashed it under the table, out of Dupin's reach. She kept her eyes glued to the chalkboard.

Dupin and Joseph synchronically moved forward. They tried to grab the magazine, but Annick wouldn't budge. When Couret looked over her shoulder, they pretended nothing happened. But as soon as she moved back to the board, Dupin shot forward again.

Annick threw the magazine back to Applebaum, who fearfully called out: "Not to me!" and quickly threw the magazine over his shoulder. Dupin groaned.

Poor Michéle.

It landed open on her desk, showing her a picture of a half naked woman. Couret had seen the ordeal, and put the magazine away.

. . .

After the traumatising English class, Eponine approached Joseph. He'd just walked out of the toilets, and his friends weren't anywhere where they could spot them together.

She grabbed his wrist. "Joseph, what on earth are you doing?" she demanded to know. He straightened his back, and put his chin up. "I'm making money, Van Doren," he said, an egoistic tone in his voice. She let go of his wrist, and his hand tried to snake its way to her bicep. She swatted it away.

"What has gotten into you?" she bit. He was acting so drastically different compared to New Years. She felt helpless as she watched him slump his shoulders and broaden his stance in an attempt to appear more macho-like. "I don't know what you're talking about," he replied laughing.

Eponine's eyes narrowed. "Okay. Need I remind you that you were on your knees for me last week? Or do you not recall that occurring?" Joseph's eye narrowed, but his flushed cheeks betrayed him. "I do remember, vividly." he bit, "I'm just an entrepreneur, Eponine."

"An entrepreneur?" Eponine laughed, "Do you not understand, Joseph? Everything you do reflects on both of us now. You could be expelled for this." She slapped his chest.

"Right. Sorry," he got out, "But don't worry, Eponine. I've got this under control."

"You better."

Joseph managed to put a slight smile on his face, not quite reaching his eye, and left to find his friends who stood around Applebaum.

. . .

When the class left Voltaire Lycée, Pichon explained what was going to happen. "We need to get him a name," he said, "or the entire class gets detention every Thursday for the rest of the year."

The class groaned collectively, or cursed under their breaths. "Even the girls?" Simone asked. Pichon sighed. "Everybody."

Eponine threw up her hands. "But I have clarinet classes on Thursdays!" Pichon raised his shoulders. "It sucks for all of us, we just need to find a solution for this."

Joseph slowed his pace, and ended up walking side by side with Eponine. "I didn't know you played clarinet," he said. Eponine tilted her head to look at him, his eye already on her. "Well, I play a lot of instruments," she replied. "That I did know," he confessed, "My mother told me."

Ah. "Do you play any?" she asked, fully aware of Michéle and Simone's gaze on them. He nodded, "I can play triangle," he replied smugly, awaiting her reaction. He found himself content when he saw a slight smile on her face as she rolled her eyes. "Maybe you should teach me some guitar," he proposed.

Eponine was surprised. "Huh? I mean, sure. Only one condition."

"And that is?"

"You never talk to me like you did after English class ever again, you hear me?"

Joseph didn't hesitate when he answered. "I swear." He put his hand on his chest. She smiled. "Eponine?"

"Yeah?"

"Please don't hesitate to stop by my house," he said, "just so our parents won't think we hate each other or whatever." He itched his nose, and Eponine smirked. "You just desperately want to see me," she laughed.

"I guess we'll see," he replied, taking a turn when they reached the end of the street.

"Make sure you have Earl Grey Tea!" she called, and she could hear him laugh while he crossed the street.

a/n: sorry for not updating this week, my dad got admitted in a psych ward and fortunately got out today.

new chapters are coming, but they're going to take a bit longer to get here <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 1.1K 35
COMPLETED BOOK 2- Sequel to Deal With It (#2 in ambitious #19 in tearjerker #3 in French) Amber Amity just couldn't seem to catch a break. She lost h...
78.8K 5K 20
"๐‹๐ž๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐Ÿ๐ฏ๐œ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐  ๐›๐š๐ฌ๐ญ#๐ซ๐.. ๐ˆ ๐ก๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ... ๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ" she shouted as he dragged her to...
2.9K 104 8
**** "Don't beat yourself up too much, ma fille." His hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me to his chest. Our noses touch as his soft smile turn...
17.9K 662 28
There's a boy. Tall like how teen girls like a boy to be. Handsomely looking with his angular face, piercing dark brown eyes, upturned nose, and a li...