Ishq Wala Love

By auroranequam

"You have been mine since the moment I saw you, and nothing can change that. Nothing." He said it through his... More

COPYRIGHT
TRIGGER WARNING
Dedication
Character Information
Chapter 01: Nonsense
Chapter 02: Ultimatum
Chapter 03 : The Manipulation
Chapter 04: The Rishta
Chapter 05: Maa...?
Chapter 07: Present, Past, Future!
Chapter 08: Certain Someone
Chapter 09: Promises
Chapter 10: Wayward
Chapter 11: A Drive To Remember
Chapter 12: Remembrance, Dimples, and Happiness
Chapter 13: Friends?...Family!
Chapter 14: Mehndi or Eyes?
Chapter 15: Truth, Penalty and Dare

Chapter 06: Family

39 3 0
By auroranequam

4:00 P.M.
FRIDAY
NIAZI PALACE ( FORM. JAHANGIR PALACE), OUTSKIRTS OF DELHI

To begin the game on the marble chessboard, I moved my white glossy yet dull with time soldier to E4, followed by Qais, who moved his once upon a time black soldier to E5, while Asad sat on another chair next to us reading a newspaper.

"Asha Maa!" I heard Ziya's quiet cry from my left, where she sat cross-legged on the living room carpet with Kainaat and Ahana. I moved my knight to F3.

"Ji, beta." She responded from the opposite side of the living room, where she, Maa, and Badi Maa were playing cards on the sofa. Qais moved his knight to C6.

I felt Asad's gaze on me for a moment, but I didn't glance up; instead, I moved my bishop to C4 and waited for Qais to move his other knight to F6.

"Bhabhi kab tak ayengi?" Ziya inquired softly, but the tinge of impatience in her voice was clear. Already Bhabhi?

Qais paused midway through his already evident manoeuvre and turned in their direction, his knight between his fingers.

I followed his attention to them and found Kainaat and Ahana staring at Asha Maa, just as she responded, "She'll be here in no time, Beta. Have patience!" These three and patience cannot coexist in the same sentence, Asha Maa.

They all grumbled in unison before Qais refocused on the game and dropped his knight at F6. Why isn't he paying attention? He knows my next move. I placed my knight on G5 and kept my gaze fixed on the board, waiting for him to move his soldier to D5. If he did exactly what I expected him to do, I'd know his mind was somewhere else.

"Mumma, you gave Bhabhi the right address, didn't you?" I heard Kainaat right before Qais did precisely as I expected, and then he looked back at them. So, despite the fact that he offered it in the first place, he isn't interested in playing.

"Call karke puchlay teri Bhabhi ko!" Maa responded by slapping a card loudly on the coffee table, and Asha Maa and Badi Maa followed suit. I moved my soldier from E4 to D5, then took his soldier.

"Karu?" Ahana inquired as she grabbed her phone from under the dark oak coffee table.

"Ahana, they're supposed to come here for dinner." Badi Maa took a drink of her wine. "You can't expect them before it's 6 in the evening."

"6?" Ahana looked at the grandfather clock on our side of the living room. 4:39 p.m. Her eyes widened as she turned abruptly to exchange surprised looks with Ziya and Kainaat before returning her gaze to Badi Maa. "Itna time kya karenge hum log?" Do what you do best. Waste it.

But no one bothered to answer. Maa, Badi Maa, and Asha Maa just kept playing cards and drinking wine as if no one was around. I gave them a smile before returning my attention to Qais. He was now looking between the two trios on either side of the vast living area with a thoughtful expression while the game sat abandoned between us.

I bumped on Asad's black leather shoes with mine. A few seconds later, he folded his newspaper and raised an eyebrow at me. What?

I gestured to Qais, who was still staring at our sisters' endless argument with our mothers, who ignored them quite professionally. I waited for Asad to react. Within a few seconds, he realised what was going on and turned to me, saying inaudibly, Zahra?

I nodded as we exchanged looks before turning to face Qais.

"If you're that interested in gossip, then you're most welcome to leave." Asad said.

Qais turned to face him, gave him a look, and then did the same to me before grabbing his knight from F6 and replacing my soldier on D5 with his.

"Why are you so distracted?" Asad rested his right ankle on his left knee, crossed his arms across his chest, and pinned Qais with a stare.

I waited for his response as they locked eyes, but Ahana spoke out again.

"Tell me about Bhabhi then!" She and Ziya turned to face Kainaat, who was now beaming with excitement.

"She is a lawyer who lives in London. And she's not much of a talker, but she's lovely. You're going to love her. And as you've seen in the photo, she's stunning!" A cheeky smile appeared on her face as she looked at Qais and asked, "Haina, Bhai?"

Qais twisted his mouth on his side before turning to face his sister, who simply smiled as she turned away and remarked, "See, he agrees!"

"But Qais Bhai lives in New York. Will they have a long-distance married life then?" Ziya inquired, but Kainaat only shrugged.

I looked up at Qais and said quietly, "That is a good question they have there. How will you two manage?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the three fools fighting amongst themselves, occasionally casting glances at us. Why am I having a bad feeling about this?

"I'm transferring to the London branch." Qais responded, and I looked up in disbelief. He's transferring? For the girl he met last week?

Asad grabbed the newspaper from the table next to him and quietly said, "A week ago, Qais, you despised her. You weren't even willing to meet her just once. Asha Maa had to literally blackmail you with your position at the company. But now you're so eager to marry her that you'll even be transferred."

Qais began, "I've told you," before turning to face Asad on his left and briefly looking at me. "It wasn't—"

"Bhai! Bhai!—" I heard Kainaat call Qais, but I ignored it because I was entirely focused on Qais' words. On what he was planning to say or wants to say.

"—like that. I was—" He continued.

"—Bhaiya! Bhai!—" Ahana joined Kainaat.

"—just mad. I was mad at—" Qais's brow furrowed as he attempted to dodge the mayhem to our left.

"—Bhai! Bhaiya! Bhai!—" Ziya's voice began with them.

"—Maa. I didn't like the way—" Asad's eyes were gradually narrowing, and his brows began to gather in the middle in a frown as he stared at Qais, attempting to remain focused and calm.

"—Bhai! Bhai! Bhai! Bh..."

"—WHAT?" Qais shouted before turning in his seat and fixing his gaze on them.

They came to a complete halt and shook their heads as if to say, "Nothing." Then they pushed their lips together as their entire body trembled with the laughter they were keeping in.

I sighed heavily and shook my head. Sisters! How can they be ours?

"I hate kids!" Asad murmured.

"Beta, don't trouble your brothers like that." Nawab Sahab's voice rang out before he walked out of the hallway leading to the kitchen on the left side of the residence, where he, Baba, and Bade Papa are preparing dinner for tonight since they are overjoyed with Qais' marriage.

He paused near the enormous twenty-person dining table, drying his hands on a small white towel, then pushed the towel into the front pocket of the midnight blue apron he was wearing with one hand while pointing at the grandfather clock with the other. "It's almost evening. So, why don't you, my lovely daughters, fetch me some bay leaves and tomatoes from the kitchen garden?"

"Okay!" The three of them rose to their feet before Kainaat asked, "Can we also bring some flowers from the garden?"

"Of course you can, Beta. But be careful. Don't get hurt, and bring everything you want." Nawab Sahab cautioned, smiling kindly.

"If," Asha Maa said with a chilly tone as soon as he ended. "—I see a single sign that the flowers were torn from their stems rather than cut," she glared at each of the three girls standing by the threshold of the long entrance corridor going outside. "—you all would wish you weren't born."

They stared at her for a long time before saying together, "Aye, aye, captain!" And they ran down the hallway, out of the house, through the open wooden double door, laughing like they were 10-year-old children rather than ladies in their twenties. Only they can laugh at Asha Maa's threat in this way.

I exhaled again. This time, Asad and Qais joined in.

As if Ahana, Ziya, and Kainaat weren't enough, our brothers Ahad and Zain have joined the waiting party for the bride's family.

"It's almost 6:30. They should be here by now!" Choti Maa checked her watch before looking along the vacant entrance hallway.

"Maybe they realised just how crazy this family can be and decided to back off like a wise person." Ahad responded from the off-white single sofa, tapping on his phone. It's always the family's fault. Bloody teenagers.

"Or maybe they heard about a moody teenager who loves to rile up our bloods with his stupid speculations only because he gets to blame the family." Choti Maa responded with her wine glass in hand then drained the entire thing in one go, as Maa and Asha Maa chuckled from beside her.

Zain barked out a laugh before he said, "Bro, she literally just ruined you!"

I shook my head at them from Zaid, Qais and I watched our family in the living room then I grabbed my tea cup from the table.

"Nawab Sahab made it." Qais informed me by staring at the tea cup I was holding before returning my gaze. Of course, he did.

I nodded and cautiously sniffed the drink. Nothing but a whiff of lemongrass entered my senses. I took a drink of the tea, and a distinct spicy, lemony scent and citral flavour filled my tongue.

I looked up and saw both Qais and Zaid staring at me before saying, "It's good."

"I knew you three were a disgrace for my tea, but I never thought that you'd be this terrified to even take a sip." Nawab Sahab, holding a cup, remarked as he stalked close to the area where we were sitting.

We pulled our lips into a thin line and exchanged glances before Qais and I straightened up in our seats and Zaid stood up to make room for Nawab Sahab.

"It's been a long time since I last saw you, Asad." He slipped onto the chair with a smile, keeping his focus on me.

I reciprocated his smile by placing my tea cup on the saucer and saying, "It's only been a year since we last met."

He nodded before taking a deep gulp of his tea and saying, "You'll understand how long a year may be without your children when you become a parent. But other than that, how is business going here?"

"As smooth as possible." I responded with a nod. "We have a grand opening scheduled for the end of June for The Serena's here."

"And in London?"

"Fine as long as the Mir's stay away." I responded, as I felt a quick but familiar disgust rise inside me just from their thoughts.

Nawab Sahab nodded attentively before turning to Zaid and saying, "Take decisions calmly! And Zaid, how's yours going?" I will try my best.

"Perfect," he replied.

"Just perfect?" Nawab Sahab inquired.

Zaid nodded briefly before his phone rang, and he excused himself.

"Well, we can't say anything if it's running just perfectly fine now, can we?" Nawab Sahab turned towards Qais. "What about you? Does the business even stand or is it in the ruins already?"

"Confidential!" Qais sipped from his cup just as Nawab Sahab shook his head with pinched lips and left, murmuring under his breath.

I sipped my cup before looking up at Qais and carefully asked, "Are you sure it was her?"

"Sabah?" He inquired with a raised eyebrow. When I nodded, he said, "From what I remember from 5 years ago, yes."

I glanced at Zaid standing near the entrance hallway, his phone pressed against his ear.

"Let's not inform him. Since we are not sure,"

Qais nodded, saying, "She seemed familiar yet was not. So, I suppose the only option is to wait till they meet today."

Given their previous history, I'm not sure if Zaid will be okay if it turns out to be her.

"They are here! They just passed through the front gates." I heard Zaid's voice loud and clear before a swarm of servants dashed out via a passage from the farthest corner of the room, grabbing all the cups and glasses while some swept the spotless tables once more and vanished through the same hallway.

Qais and I got up, walked up to the living room, where our families were already seated, and took seats opposite one another.

"Bhabhi is here!" I whipped my head towards the entrance just as I heard a loud shout of joy, and Kainaat, Ziya, and Ahana dashed up to us with three enormous homemade bouquets of flowers in hand. Nuisances!

"In the driveway." Zaid informed us as he sat on the sofa next to me, and the girls took their seats on his side.

"Why are you keeping tabs?" The elders muttered among themselves, and the children followed suit. "Security is Qais's business."

"It is. But I enjoy seeing Qais nervous whenever possible." He gave me a smirk before glancing ahead of me. I followed his eyes and discovered Qais staring at us with arched brows.

"What are you..." He began but paused when everyone rose from their seats.

"Welcome, Mrs. Ali." Asha Maa spoke as she and Nawab Sahab advanced to the two approaching figures. "Welcome, beta!"

The middle-aged woman in the saree on the right smiled and murmured inaudibly, while the girl dressed in dark green stood quietly next to her. I thought four people were due to show up.

I looked at Qais in question, but he was already staring at the girl. Kainaat was right; the effects look very similar to love at first sight. I smirked before going back to stare at the entry hallway.

The four of them walked in, and Asha Maa started introducing everyone to the girl and her mother. By the time she arrived near me, the girl looked confused.

"This is Asad," Asha Maa said. "He's older than both you and Qais."

The girl gave me a little smile in greeting, and I simply nodded my head in response. This is awkward.

"This is Zaid. He is older than you!" What's with the age suddenly?

Zaid nodded curtly and smiled slightly. He smiles?

"And as for them," Asha Maa pointed at the five children. "You can choose to avoid them."

"Maa!" Kainaat's face went alarmed before she looked at Zahra. "Welcome, Bhabhi!" They clearly lack common sense. You don't just start calling someone "Bhabhi."

Zahra gave Asha Maa a shocked look before returning her gaze to Kainaat and slowly adding, "Thank you, I guess!"

"This is Ziya, Ahana, Ahad, and Zaid." Kainaat pointed to each of them. "And this is for you!"

Zahra stepped back, her eyes wide, as Kainaat, Ziya, and Ahana offered their bouquets to her.

"Are you okay, beta?" Choti Maa inquired from my right.

She only nodded, her gaze still fixed on the flowers. But, suddenly, she smiled and exclaimed, "Thank you!" And very slowly, she began to reach for the bouquets.

"Ziya," Qais called her. "Why don't you all wrap the flowers nicely so that Zahra can take them with her when she leaves?" Qais motioned them to the kitchen with his head. My eyes narrowed slightly at him before I turned to look at Zahra, who appeared both afraid and grateful.

"Okay!" And the five children dashed for the hallway leading to the kitchen.

After introduction, we all took our seats, and two servants brought tea and served us all.

"Why didn't your friends come, Zahra?" Asha Maa asked looking at her.

"Sabah," I glanced at Zaid. "fell down the stairs, and Mallika had work." He looks anything but affected. 

But did I hear it right?... Mallika?... No, it can't be her. This world can't be that small. Mallika Mir lives in London. Also, she isn't the only Mallika. And India fails to meet her standards. She's too proud to come here. I sighed. But even if she were here, I would have heard from Qais. He would tell—would he?

"Is she alright now?" Maa inquired from next to me.

Zahra opened her mouth to respond, but her mother bet her on it, saying, "Don't worry. She's completely fine. Her other friend, Mallika, is also there. Don't worry!" And I relaxed. It's not Mallika Mir. She's not the type to take care of someone else.

"Of course!" Maa responded and took a drink of her tea as Mrs. Ali's phone began to ring, compelling her to step away to answer.

"Qais," Asha Maa began with a smile. "Why don't you show Zahra around? I am sure..."

"Can I go with you instead?" Zahra interrupted. Busted!

Asha Maa's smile quivered as she gave us a short glance, and I tried not to laugh before she nodded with another smile and said, "Of course!"

"Did you do something already?" Nawab Sahab inquired as soon as Zahra and Asha Maa walked to the hallway behind us.

Qais looked offended but calmly replied, "I did nothing."

"Are you sure?" Baba inquired as I sipped my tea to disguise a smile.

He barked out a laugh before responding, "Yes, Bade Papa, I'm sure." He's still offended!

Kainaat, Ahad, Ziya, Ahana, and Zain rejoined us in the living room as Chote Papa said, "If somehow we found out that you did something then..."

"Mr. Niazi!" Everyone stopped talking and looked behind them, where Asha Maa and Zahra had vanished. Zahra stood there awkwardly, looking at us.

"Which Niazi, Bhabhi?" Kainaat questioned, standing up from the sofa.

Zahra glanced at Qais, who was already staring at her, and said, "Aap!"

"Jaiye, Bhaiya! Bhabhi aap ko bula rahi hain!" Ahana teased with a huge smile, and the other kids joined in with "Oh ho, bhaiya!"

Qais gave them an icy glance before excusing himself and following Zahra.

Well...

It took me a few long strides to get to her, while my siblings' teasing voices faded away. When I neared her, I slowed down to walk at my normal pace. She didn't even look at me to her right as we moved down the corridor with my heart racing.

I cast a brief glance at her as I slid my hands into my pockets and inquired, "You wanted to talk?"

Her pace suddenly quickened and she made the bend to my right while her dark velvet dupatta brushed past my fingers.

I fisted my hands with a deep inhale and exclaimed, "That's a dead end!" But I continued following.

"We know!" Maa said from next to Zahra, and I came to an abrupt halt.

I cocked my head as I looked at the two of them standing next to each other, whereas Maa stood leaning against the white wall lined with floor-to-ceiling windows on her side, arms crossed over her chest, and her saree fluttered effortlessly from the blowing breeze coming from somewhere.

"I have a question for you." I stared at Maa, then at Zahra for a little moment before returning my attention and nodding. I wonder what's cooking. "Zahra wants the wedding functions to be fast and modest, not overcrowded or excessive. Do you have any problems?

I shook my head and said, "Do as she wishes!"

"Okay!" Maa nodded and motioned at Zahra and me. "Don't bring up the subject outside." She then smiled at Zahra and gave me a look before leaving us alone.

"You could've just said that to me!" I spoke quietly once I was certain Maa was out of earshot. I didn't want her to listen since she might end up in a tough spot with Zahra. Or Zahra might end up in a tough spot with Maa.

"I didn't know if you would understand." Her voice had a hint of accent as it was clipped as she kept her gaze fixed on the white marble floor, which glinted in response to the lights on the high ceiling and walls.

"Of course, I would have!" I insisted quietly.

"Like you did last time." She looked up at me, and I felt my breath catch as my heartbeat quickened. Her pupils dilated and her teeth clenched briefly as wind blew through some of the tresses of her hair resting on her shoulders, covering her face as she continued to glare at me.

I felt a smile grow across my face, and, for whatever reason, I made a small step toward her. She noticed my actions but did not turn away. She maintained my gaze with the same intensity as the wind continued to play with her hair lazily.

I reached out to push her hair away from her face, but she stiffened and backed away.

I hesitated for a second before dropping my hand to my side and saying, "Are you... alright?"

She nodded, pushing her hair away from her face and onto her back. And I would have believed it if I hadn't noticed her fingers quivering slightly. I looked up at her as she licked her lips, which shook along with her chin. She was gazing everywhere except me, her slightly enlarged eyes glinting under the lights with terror.

I swallowed. Did I do something wrong? Was I being too straightforward? Did she somehow believe that I...

"It's, um—not you, it's..." She swallowed and squinted her eyes, focusing on something behind me. "It's me."

I stared at her for a moment as she finished, her entire face clenched. Then, without thinking for a second, I blurted, "A pity; I thought you were already scared of me!" And smirked.

Zahra slowly glanced up into my eyes, and I observed that all of the anxiety and terror had left, leaving only anger and challenge behind. I like this look on her face much better.

"I will never let you have the pleasure of me being scared of you in our lifetime." She promised silently, lifting her chin slightly. I really hope you keep your promise, Zahra. Because that's a pleasure I would never like to have.

But I did not say any of it. I just maintained her stare for another second before replying, "At least, you'll let me have a lifetime with you."

Her entire face went blank, and she blinked at me with slightly parted lips.

"As much as I hate to break our little conversation, I think we should head back." I took three steps backwards while holding her gaze, then paused and stepped to my left. "After you!" And I gestured with my hand towards the hallway that led back to the living room.

I've never wanted to run away more than I do right now. Why can't I just think before speaking? And why did I flinch? It's not that he'll—don't trust him. You don't know him. He could be anything.

I followed him with my gaze as he took a moment to step back from me, then paused and took a step aside.

"After you!" He gestured to the corridor behind him with his hand, a tiny smile on his lips as his dark eyes shone brightly under the massive white chandelier.

I took a deep shuddering breath through my mouth before pushing my fingers through the top of my head to pull my open hair on my back as I moved by him, down the hallway, and into the living room.

"There they are!" Said the woman dressed in a stunning green saree, whose name, relationship, or anything else I can't recall. "I thought you two ditched us and ran away!" She smiled as Qais—oh, it feels so strange to say his namewalked by me to join his very large family in the living room, then paused, turned to me, and said, "Come!"

Why does it feel like it's more than simply a normal come-and-join? "Bhabhi?" I blinked, and Kainaat's face became visible.

"Come, you'll sit with us for dinner!" Why are they acting like this? Why are they trying to get me involved in their family?

"Don't force her, Kai." One of the girls clad in black said this before turning to face me. "Bhabhi, you sit wherever you want!" She smiled teasingly as she peered over her shoulder at Qais, who was talking with his aunts and uncles. God! Shaadi se pehle ye haal hain, baadme kya hoga?

"Ahana, don't bother her! Join Nawab Sahab in the kitchen. He's doing the final check on the food before dinner and take Kainaat and Ziya with you." One of Qais' aunts rescued me, and the girls literally fled away. She then turned to me. "Beta, Aap, don't pay them attention! They never stop bothering others. But if they cross their limits, just tell me, okay?"

"Ji." I nodded respectfully since I didn't know what to call her or who she was other than being Qais' aunt.

"By the way, you can call me Badi Maa." She gave me a warm grin and headed to the dining area, where the elders were chatting with Maa as some of them took their seats.

I stood in the living room for another second, making certain that no one was staring at me. Then I searched the crowd for a specific individual. I need to confirm that it's him. I need to make sure that...

"Zahra?"

My eyes widened, and I turned around as if I'd been caught stealing something.

"Tum thik ho?" Asked—what was his name? A-An-Ansar? I think that's what his name waswhile behind him, a step away, stood Zaid to confirm all my suspicions. It's him. It's actually him. Oh, fuck!

Ansar looked over his shoulder at Zaid, who had a blank expression on his face as they exchanged glances before looking at me again. Ansar arched his eyebrow in curiosity as he inclined his head towards Zaid and questioned me, with a hint of a British accent, "Is there a problem?" Yes, there is! A very big one.

I pulled my lips together as I looked away from Zaid to Ansar, shook my head, and replied, trying to avoid his inquiry, "Do you live in London?"

He looked at me for a second before replying, "Yes, I do. And so does Zaid." He gestured a hand to Zaid behind him but kept his gaze fixed on me. "He's the CEO of the Malik Empires." Suspicion 100% confirmed. He is the one. He is Sabah's ex.

Fuck.

Zahra's Outfit

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 842 36
It's a romcom story of 2 sister and their 1 bestfriend whose life get tangled with 'Mir brothers' of a well affluent family. "I don't believe in love...
894K 38K 66
Book 1 of #ARRANGED HEARTS series.... (This series will contain only arranged marriage stories...so read only if you want to read arranged marriage t...
24.5K 2.1K 16
❝Nhi pata keb,kese,kyu ye ishq hua bs itna pta hai ki sirf tumse hau❞ Adeel khan a famous business tycoon girls are crazy for him but he don't give t...
414K 46.6K 28
"𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒌 𝒎𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒊𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒔, 𝒊𝒕 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖" ...