Forevermore

By ashesinthewind_

(Slow updates/Hiatus) Indi, an aspiring artist and the daughter of one of the best baseball players of all ti... More

A.N & T.W's
Playlist & (Main) Characters
✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧
One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight

Five

1.2K 37 8
By ashesinthewind_

I can feel it happening again. The invisible noose is so tight I almost choke on my food.

My legs start bobbing up and down under the dinner table as a cold flush runs through my body.

My name leaves my dad's mouth, but I don't entirely comprehend what he's saying. I look between him and my brother, trying to get a clue.

I'm a chapter behind in AP World History assigned reading, and the longer I sit here, the closer I get to failing.

"W-what was that?" I ask, trying to stay tethered to the moment.

"How was school today?" Dad asks again. Little does he know, it's the segueway I need.

I lean my head back as if I've come to a realization. "I forgot. I have homework I need to get done so I should probably, you know..."

He gives me a concerned look and I ignore the suspicion in Lucas's eyes. "You're not done with your food yet," my dad says.

I look at the plate. I've eaten half of my steak and some of the aspargus, but I no longer have an appetite. "I'm full. I had a snack after school."

"Indi, you shouldn't be stressing out so soon in the school year."

I swallow, not replying for a long moment.

Does he think I don't know that? When I'm not distracted by schoolwork, I'm drowning in dread for what stress could do to me. I know who I become and it's not like I want that.

"I know, but it's junior year. There's a bigger workload," I reply.

My father considers it for a moment before replying. "Okay. But when we get to Georgia I expect you to take a break, alright?"

"I'll get all my homework done before we leave." I stand up from my chair then bring my plate and silverware to the sink.

He nods. "Alright, Indi. I love you."

"Love you too, Dad."

When I finish the last of my homework–which only took me about thirty minutes–my heart is still beating its quick drum in my ear.

I glance out the window in front of my desk, glad to see the sun still barely in the sky. Since my brother had nothing baseball related today, we ate dinner a few hours early, which means I don't have to go for a run in the dark.

My body has since gotten used to running again since I've gone for a jog almost every day this past week and a half.

I'm sure my seventh grade self would go into cardiac arrest if someone told her that I've become a runner, though she'd probably be relieved to know I've found a way to cope with the anxiety.

It doesn't make it go away completely, but it's a good starting place.

And I want to cry every time I imagine telling my younger-selfs that we've made it this far.

After putting on a random black tank top and a matching pair of shorts, I slide my grey running shoes over white socks that go up to my ankles.

I do a quick round of stretches in my room with the new playlist I made for running playing into my AirPods.

Once I'm done, I discreetly slip out of the house.

It doesn't take long for me to decide that I want to switch up routes.

I start with crossing the street.

My eyes linger on Ezra's house for a moment too long, but that's only because the memory of his laughter oddly invades my brain.

Hey Angel by One Direction begins playing and I turn up the volume of my AirPods, shaking away every last distraction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113 3 5
Two high school friends get back together after years . It's a romance story with some anxiety trouble. (I don't want to spoil much so that's why I...
2.3M 41.5K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
5.3K 858 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...
108K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...