Whispers In The Dark

By LadyEckland

In the shadowed corners of whispered folklore, where the veil between worlds thins, "Whispers in the Dark" em... More

Introduction
The Last Recording (by Glenn Riley)
The Mirror Of The Rue Morgue (by Lady Eckland)
Whispers In The Walls (by Glenn Riley)
The Shadow Gallery (by Lady Eckland)
The Watcher In The Woods (by Glenn Riley)
The Photographers Lens (by Lady Eckland)
The Cold Hand (by Lady Eckland)
Subterranean Torment (by Glenn Riley)
The Void (by Glenn Riley)
Shadows Of The Bayou (by Lady Eckland)
Whispers From The Web (by Lady Eckland)
That Haunted Stretch Of Road (by Glenn Riley)
Echoes From The Deep (by Lady Eckland)
The Sunken City (by Lady Eckland)
The Crossroads (by Lady Eckland)
The Casket Girls Curse (by Lady Eckland)
The Ocean Queen (by Glenn Riley)
The Azure Manor Curse (by Lady Eckland)
53 Berkley Square (by Glenn Riley)
The Blackwater Revenant (by Glenn Riley)
Lonely After Midnight (by Glenn Riley)
The Last Broadcast (by Lady Eckland)
The East Wing Haunting (by Lady Eckland)
The East Wing Haunting Part 2 (by Glenn Riley)
The Dubois Plantation (by Lady Eckland)
Billy's Game (by Lady Eckland)
The Fourth Floor (by Glenn Riley)
The Reflecting Glass (by Lady Eckland)
After Hours (by Glenn Riley)
The Experiment (by Glenn Riley)
The Elevator (by Lady Eckland)
The Basement (by Lady Eckland)
The Hollowers (By Lady Eckland)
The Hollowers Part 2: The Frightners (by Lady Eckland)
The Office Of Eternal Overtime (by Glenn Riley)
The Shadowy Stairwell (by Glenn Riley)
The Glass Office Apparition (by Lady Eckland)
The Ghost In The Machine (by Lady Eckland)
The Towering Spectre (by Glenn Riley)
Echoes In The Ice (by Lady Eckland)
The Show Must Always Go On (by Lady Eckland)
The Archive (by Glenn Riley)
The Neptune's Embrace (by Lady Eckland)
The Whistling Ghost (by Glenn Riley)
The Boarding School (by Lady Eckland)
Guilty Sins (by Glenn Riley)
The Silent House (by Lady Eckland)
The Woman In The Mist (by Glenn Riley)
The Silent Home (by Glenn Riley)
Station Echo (By Lady Eckland)
Red Darkness (by Lady Eckland)

The Secret Of The Moors (by Glenn Riley)

6 3 1
By LadyEckland

"The moors lied. Their fog-shrouded beauty masked a hunger... a hunger as old and desolate as the wind itself."

The fog on the moors was like a suffocating blanket, thick, oppressive, and smelling faintly of peat and decay. Johnathan shivered, not from the penetrating chill, but from the unsettling feeling of solitude that pervaded the empty road. Lost and weary, the Victorian businessman had been walking for hours, his gentleman's shoes ill-suited for the rough terrain. His carriage had succumbed to an errant rock hidden in the swirling mist, its axle irrevocably damaged.

Then, he saw it - a wavering light piercing the gloom, a promise of sanctuary amidst the unforgiving wilderness. As he stumbled closer, a structure loomed out of the veil - a rustic, old tavern with smoke curling tentatively from its stone chimney.

Desperation fueled his urgency. He rapped on the hefty wooden door, the sound reverberating in the unnatural silence. Moments passed, each feeling like an eternity, before the door creaked open a sliver.

"Who's there?" A woman's voice, surprisingly soft in contrast to the rugged surroundings.

Johnathan stepped closer, the light revealing his bedraggled form. "Please, my good woman," he rasped out, "I'm lost. My carriage has met with an accident...is there a room spare? Any sort of succor would be a divine mercy."

The door opened wider, and within the dimly lit entrance stood the source of the voice - a young woman. Even beneath the layers of plain fabrics, there was a captivating beauty about her - flowing auburn hair, skin pale as moonlight, and eyes that shone like forest embers. Something about her sent a frisson of unease through Johnathan, but he brushed it off as exhaustion mixed with a disconcerting touch of attraction.

"Of course, sir. Come in, come in. You look half-frozen," she ushered him, the door swinging shut behind them. The interior was cozy but dim, a fire crackling bravely in the hearth, its feeble light barely reaching the shadowy corners.

"Such an establishment here..." Johnathan began awkwardly, searching for conversation.

She cut him off with a wave of her hand, "Yes, quite out of the way, isn't it? And, I must say, hardly any guests...it's usually just myself. But you are in luck, Mr...?"

"Whitaker. Johnathan Whitaker. And my thanks are endless. Perhaps a hot meal to stave off this chill?”

"Indeed, Mr. Whitaker, and it seems it’s your lucky night. There is a stew just finished simmering." A small, nervous smile, the first he'd seen from her, flitted across her face. Then, before Johnathan could offer proper thanks, she vanished into what seemed to be a kitchen area.

Left alone, he took off his soaked coat, his eyes wandering around the empty space. There was a strange unsettling absence to the tavern. No tankards hanging behind the bar, no sounds of merriment or gossip filtering down from above. He could have sworn he'd heard noises that didn't belong: a muffled clinking from somewhere at the back, a creak above him as though someone was walking on the floorboards.

His hostess reappeared, a steaming bowl perched precariously among her slender fingers. She set it down before him, along with a tankard filled with frothy ale.

"Eat, Mr. Whitaker," she urged, "The moors hold a terrible chill that seeps into the bone." As Johnathan devoured the hot broth, she settled upon a chair, hands gripping the seat tightly. She didn't move to eat, instead keeping her eyes fixed upon his face.

Johnathan tried to engage her in conversation, asking about the area, the locals, hoping to distract himself from the growing unease. Yet, she kept the talk brief, offering terse replies. Every flicker of the fire, every rustle of the wind carried an undercurrent of unspoken tension.

With his hunger sated, the lingering sensation of being watched grew almost unbearable. Clearing his throat, Johnathan ventured, "You are most kind, but do tell me... this tavern seems quite isolated. Are there... others on staff? You mustn't think me rude, but it feels very..."

Her face paled further, then her gaze flickered upwards as if sensing something only she could perceive. "Others? No, there is only myself." She seemed to choose her words with deliberate care. "Though you are right, perhaps. This place was... not always so.”

Something in her voice, a tinge of sadness, made Johnathan pause. "A different time, was it?" he prodded gently.

She sighed, a long and weary sound. "Forgive me, Mr. Whitaker. It's been a long and lonely day. There are tales the moors whisper. Perhaps tonight they weigh heavy on me." And with that, she stood abruptly. "It's getting late, and sleep must be beckoning you. Your room is up the stairs, first door on the left."

"And you, Ma'am?" Johnathan's brow furrowed.

"My chambers are at the rear of the tavern, have no worry," she offered, voice distant as though her mind was already occupied elsewhere. Her hand lingered over an old key hanging from a hook by the fireplace. "Remember, sir, no matter what you might hear in the night, stay locked in your room until the sun begins to rise. It's for your own protection."

Her warning hung in the air, heavy as the moorland fog. Sleep was far from Johnathan's mind as he trudged up the worn wooden stairs. The room was spartan. Despite the simple amenities, it was clean and the bed soft. He barricaded the door with the chair, the feeling of unease solidifying into dread. Every crack of the old house had him jumping.

As if by some cruel play of fate, a violent storm rattled the window frames. Thunder rumbled on the horizon, casting an eerie, strobing light across the room. In that moment of illumination, it seemed an impossibly tall shadow flickered past the window, followed by an inhuman wail. Johnathan gripped the bedsheets, sweat prickling his brow. Sleep had become the impossible enemy.

Hours later, a sound from below made him sit bolt upright. Muffled at first, it quickly turned into a relentless scratching against the windowpanes on the ground floor. Whatever was lurking possessed claws, scraping back and forth in a macabre rhythm . His pulse hammered against his ribs. This was no trick of the storm.

Frozen in place, he was suddenly aware of movement – shapes beyond the windowpane flitting and twisting under a ghostly silver light. Was it his imagination, or was the fog itself swirling into unnatural figures? With dread coiling in his chest, he knew these horrors must be what resided outside, the nightmares spoken of in whispers.

And then… silence descended once more. Only the monotonous rain remained, and the echo of his heartbeats pounding in his ears.

After what felt like an eternity, his eyelids twitched and began to feel heavy. But just as he was teetering on the edge of fitful sleep, there came another sound – not from outside, but from within the tavern itself. A dragging noise, slow and rhythmic. Like something... or someone... being moved across the wooden floor downstairs. Johnathan bolted upright, every cell in his body now screaming to leave this accursed place.

It was too much. The warnings had gone unheeded, the eerie tales ignored. Johnathan grabbed his coat, throwing caution to the wind. He would rather brave the horrors of the moors than whatever terror lingered within the tavern's very walls. His fingers slipped around the door handle, and gently, he turned it.

The landing outside was bathed in a ghostly luminescence filtering up from the lower level. He descended the stairs, each creak a jarring accusation in the unnatural quiet. Johnathan crept with every sense straining, peering desperately around corners, expecting the unknown to lunge from the shadows. Then, a flicker of light through a door left slightly ajar at the end of the corridor. Curiosity, foolishly, outweighed fear.

Inch by inch, he advanced, peering through the crack. What he saw next shattered his remaining composure, an image from his deepest nightmares taking shape:

The woman from the tavern stood in the center of the room. Or rather, something grotesque wearing her likeness. The dim light played cruelly against her – no, its – form. Skin hung in loose, wrinkled folds, mottled with shades of gray and the purplish blue of rot. Hair clung in lank patches, revealing a scalp riddled with decay. She stood with unnatural stillness, as if held together by forces too terrible to imagine.

Then, as though sensing his presence, the thing started to move. It took a step forward – or rather stumbled, one skeletal leg dragging painfully against the floor. In the dim light, the glint of something caught his eye, something clasped within its decaying hand.

His stomach lurched as the light danced off a thin sliver of what could only be steel – a knife.

And yet, the true horror wasn't the creature itself, but what took place next. With a fluidity defying its broken form, it reached up, peeling back the mask of human skin. Johnathan recoiled, stifling a sob. Not the beautiful young woman. Her skin. Lifeless, limp, it hung over the creature's clawed fingers. No eyes in the empty sockets, only a monstrously twisted grin splitting the ghastly parody of a face beneath.

This revelation of what truly dwelled beneath the human visage was Johnathan's breaking point. His eyes found the keyhole again, and in that chilling moment, he met the creature's vacant, rotten gaze staring back through it.

It had seen him.

Panic ignited. Fumbling for the door handle, he fled back to his room, slamming the door behind him. Adrenaline and horror kept all thought at bay – he shoved every bit of furniture against the door, forming a desperate barricade. Outside, the heavy, shuffling gait resumed, closer this time. With every dragging thump, with every scratch against the wood, Johnathan felt his sanity fraying.

Terror robbed him of all rational thought. His eyes fell upon the window, now shrouded only by a flimsy curtain. The monstrous shape lurched toward it, hands scrabbling against the glass. If it broke through… there was only the merciless expanse of the moors beyond. He stumbled backward, mind filled with desperate, chaotic possibilities.

As if sensing his plan, the scratching outside subsided. Eerie silence settled. Had the thing found another means of entering the room?

He held his breath, time twisting into an excruciating crawl. The sun was still below the horizon, leaving him exposed and trapped.

He must have drifted into a fitful, fear-wracked sleep because he jolted awake, daylight weakly washing over the barricaded room. Slowly, as reason replaced blind terror, the events of the night began to settle in his mind.

Johnathan cautiously pulled upon the door. It opened – the barricade seemed undisturbed. Heart pounding, he ventured out, looking over his shoulder with every creak of the floorboards.

The tavern held none of the horrors he'd witnessed the night before. Just dust motes dancing in the morning light, the smell of wet soil drifting in from the half-open door. The fire in the hearth had long since died to ash. And... no sign of the beautiful and terrible phantom.

A shiver ran down his spine. Perhaps it was merely a nightmare born of desperation and exhaustion. Yet he knew. This place…the woman - whatever she was - hadn't been a dream. He gathered his scant belongings and fled the building, heart racing until the tavern disappeared into the moorland mist.

Hours turned into a disorienting eternity before he saw it - a flicker of movement in the gray expanse. Then shapes became distinct: horses, a carriage, their outlines stark against the desolate backdrop. Hope flooded him like a spring thaw. Waving wildly, he called out until they heard and pulled alongside.

With hesitant politeness, he introduced himself. They responded with surprised grunts and curious expressions. A portly gentleman in a well-tailored coat eyed him warily, an ample-bosomed woman beside him clutching her handbag tighter.

"Traveling light, I see," observed the gentleman. His name was Mr. Blackwood, his companion Mrs. Blackwood. They hailed from a nearby town, taking a scenic route before heading home.

His voice shaking, Johnathan blurted out, "I must say, finding you gentlemen now feels nothing short of miraculous. I found shelter..." His voice faded as he tried to grasp for the correct words to describe the ordeal without sounding mad.

Mrs. Blackwood leaned forward, eyes glinting with an unnerving blend of pity and fascination. "An inn at such a lonely spot? Or perhaps one of the old houses used by shepherds…"

His breath caught in his throat. Of course, these people wouldn't know about that tavern. He choked back his tale, offering a feeble lie instead. "Nothing like that, madam, merely a simple traveler's misfortune."

After they offered him a ride the rest of the way, it was hard to resist the temptation to share. Johnathan needed validation that what he'd experienced wasn't just a twisted product of his own fear.

Hesitantly, he brought up the tavern, carefully omitting the most shocking events of the night before. Just the empty silence, the strange sense of isolation, the warnings... The couple chuckled nervously.

"My dear sir," Mr. Blackwood huffed, a note of pity in his voice, "Have you never heard the old tales? That part of the moors is cursed."

And as their carriage lurched forward, Mr. and Mrs. Blackwood began to share the local lore. They spoke of a long-forgotten tavern on the desolate plain, of a beautiful woman who ran it, her fate mysteriously entwined with that of the inn. Whispers, passed down through generations, recounted how the tavern had caught fire, burning to the ground with her trapped within.

"They say her spirit walks those desolate lands," Mrs. Blackwood's voice was no longer light and teasing, but held a quiver of superstitious fear. "A banshee. Some claim to have seen her wailing as the fog descends, an apparition of terrible sorrow and regret."

Johnathan sat frozen, blood running cold. They knew. Perhaps everyone around here knew and simply steered clear of the place… leaving unsuspecting travelers like him vulnerable to its unholy grasp. The pieces fell chillingly into place, revealing the full terrifying nature of where he'd stumbled upon and narrowly escaped. The woman's warnings, her sadness, her haunting of the moors... A banshee then, forever doomed to linger on the fringe of existence.

That night, though safely within the town’s boundaries, he heard sounds no one else should hear: the eerie wailing and scratching noises emanating from beyond his window. His rescuers had become unwitting heralds of despair, carrying the terror back with them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26 8 25
Get ready to be spooked with the second volume of short and easy to read ghost stories compiled and written by Glenn Riley. These tales will send shi...
36 11 5
A tale of darkness unfolds, whispered through the ages in hushed tones and guarded secrets. Within its crumbling halls lie the echoes of a cursed lin...
14.6K 275 19
All of (or most of) Edgar Allen Poe's short stories and poems. [if you would like to see a story/poem added feel free to message me]
33 13 15
Get ready to be spooked once again with the third volume of our chilling collection of short ghost stories. In this new edition, we bring you even mo...