The Will of Chaos

By wordlesslazy

'May you choose the fate that encompasses your will' When earth fell into despair, Diane wasn't there to see... More

PREFACE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 6

1 1 0
By wordlesslazy

'TRADE WALKERS'
_______________________

I took a deep breath and mustered myself. This time, I have to test again if I am already worthy. Again and again, this process kept on reminding me how unworthy I am of anything even welding this staff. I extended my arm and grab the staff in instant. It was quiet for a second until it slowly turned into silver. My face lit up for a moment and fell again when the staff realized who's holding it.

The silver plates disappeared and the staff shook in my hand releasing that same of electricity and started frying my hand. I let go of it, stood, and shouted in disappointment.

"I thought it's for me. Why is it rejecting me again?!" I pointed at the staff while it's turning back into its wooden appearance.

Grinch just stared at me as if I am crazy. Maybe I really am crazy!

Why would I touch it when the old man told me to look after it? I stomped my feet away from the staff laying on the stone table.

I sat down on the corner and started polishing my weapon again. Soon, I'll wield it. I will make it happen. When that time comes, I'm going to hit the old man with it. Maybe a scar on his face so he would remember, will do.

...

"They are called trade walkers because if you encounter them, the only trade you can give them is your life."

I smiled looking back at Grinch who's unbothered. He looked back at me uninterested while I managed to grin at him and rolled my eyes.

"Just bear with me buddy, this is my way of recalling things and I need someone to talk to or I'll go crazy. Don't look at me like that, okay? Living alone for 4 years is hell enough. You're my only friend here. Come on!" I raised my arms up and lifelessly throw them down.

I dryly laughed at myself and kicked an ice ball forming on the ground. It has already been four years but I can't still wield the staff. I have so many questions I don't know where to start looking for answers. If it was not for Grinch that keeps me company, I would've been already dead because of loneliness and depression. I haven't experienced having a lot of money and buy luxurious and expensive things and I have a box of treasure! When I get out of here, I will make sure to go shopping and buy anything I want.

I ran happily skipping and humming. I know Grinch thinks I am weird sometimes but I can't help imagining the good things to come.

We were approaching the path to the riverbank when I heard Grinch growl behind me. When I turned around, he was already transforming into his bigger form and his fangs showing. I instantly pulled my spear out and looked back the path with my senses on alert. I then began to hear footsteps and a very familiar mumbling.

Trade walkers!

"Grinch, let's go back--Grinch!" I tried to call Grinch but he started running to the riverbank. I cursed at myself and contemplate whether I should follow him or save myself.

No, Grinch is a friend. He's a friend. I should do something.

'Fight'

It felt like I heard the old man talking in my head. I groan in frustration and started running. Just like what the old man always tells me, fight. Forgetting the old man's warning,  I ran all the way to the riverbank as fast as speed of light.

Before I even arrived at the entrance, I heard Grinch growling repeatedly followed by a whimper and an animal scream I haven't heard before. My whole body tensed because Grinch was never in a pain so he never made that sound.

"Grinch!" I shouted running fast closer to the riverbank.

When I arrived, I shouted again after seeing the most horrible thing I've seen in my whole life.

"No!" I ran to the trade walkers circling Grinch wounded and whimpering.

I immediately throw my spear to the nearest trade walkers and ran to it. When I managed to retract my weapon, I swung it to defend myself and hit the head of the other trade walker. I swung my weapon again and again and fought my way to reach Grinch already reducing his size and circling his body in a fetus position. With my weapon still raised and putting a distance with me and the four trade walkers, I glanced at Grinch and tried to swallow my scream when I saw a few of his insides lurking out of his stomach.

I was a minute late yet they already managed to severe a Tolkan like Grinch.

"Step back!" I screamed when a trade walker tried to step forward while I still raised my spear in front of them more sternly and aggressively.

They stood there staring as if they are studying me and trying to recognize who I am.

"I said step back!"

One of the trade walker skinned alive,  face distorted, and left with one eye stepped further forward tilting its head trying to intimidate me and understand what I was shouting.

I pointed my weapon closer and decided to give it a strike downward but it managed to tilt its head and grabbed the edge of the spear, catching it as if it's not sharply ended. Black bile flowed from his hand. I stared at the trade walker wide eyed and tried to draw my spear back but it held my weapon so strong I struggled renouncing it from its hold.

As if we are in a tug of war and realized I can't win against its strength, I pushed the spear more to its direction as if letting him have it and gave its face a powerful kick causing it to lean sidewards from the impact. I made sure to hit it with focused strength on my feet but the trade walker only stood there, grinning.

So, this are trade walkers.

They live up to their name. Looks like I'm going to trade my life with them too.

But I can't just give up without putting a fight or the old man will just laugh at my grave.

I renounce my stance and prepared to take the four trade walkers. When one tried to approach, I swung my spear at it and gave the other one beside me a kick. Unlike the other trade walker earlier, his companion wasn't able to dodge the edge of my spear cutting off its arm. I was swinging my spear everywhere and turning around from side to side just so they can't step forward from me and Grinch's already lifeless body.

I was able to dodge and attack but the trade walkers fight just like me. As if we have learned the same skills, they were able to read my attacks and land a hit. I remembered the old man saying they were part of an army before they became trade walkers. Were they cursed?

The fighting was endless and I began loosing focus and endurance. We are fighting against for a while now and yet it still felt like they are holding back. If they really are, It would make me look really bad.

I wiped the blood coming off my nose and spit out that from my mouth. I huffed and tried to catch my breath in between the fight but it started again without further ado. All I heard was the clinking sound of the edge of the spear hitting the trade walkers or the stones on the ground. Judging from their appearance, they really look like a soldier wearing a rugged attire and torn vestures.

"You killed my friend, you should know the payment"

One of the trade walkers started laughing and I know for sure it was taunting me. My blood crawled up to my head due to his taunting and my heart began beating faster pumping more blood throughout my veins. I gritted my teeth and threw the spear at the trade walker who kept on grinning at me. It was the first one of the four I attacked again.

And the next one.

And the next.

And the last one.

But none of my attacks severed them.

I already felt dizzy and my arms are already numbed. My feet is wobbling like I haven't eaten and drank water for days. But I don't want to give up. However, my eyes are starting to see nothingness and my body is about to give up. I shook my head trying to stay focus when I heard more mumbling from afar.

More trade walkers.

I laughed hysterically trying to shake off the nervousness I'm starting to feel. I saw about an army of trade walkers appearing from the other side of the river and circling the place. I dropped my spear and sat down, still laughing.

Old man. A liar.

"I told you not to give up and keep fighting"

Speaking of the devil.

My head fuzzy but I managed to look up and saw the old man standing in front of me with his back and his head turning down to look at me.

"You're late, teacher" I sarcastically chuckled and picked up my weapon. I groaned and winced in pain from the injuries in any part of my body I can't locate anymore. I stood beside him and ripped the side of my shirt and tied the piece on my bleeding and cut opened knee.

"What's the situation?"

"As you can see, Grinch is dead and trade walkers got the best of me"

"You managed well"

I snickered and gave out a sarcastic monotone laugh.
"Thanks to you"

"It's not your fault. I didn't teach you to kill a trade walker. You're still far from doing so" He glanced at me. "You did well. I'm proud of you"

I rolled my eyes and gave him a nod. I pointed at the trade walkers around us.
"What about them?"

"Just weaken them and I'll do the rest"

"Fine"

He raised his staff and it turned into silver. The beautiful carvings I have been admiring appeared and a line of primary colors I haven't seen before showed and started reflecting the light from the sun. Unknowingly, the trade walkers back away.

They know who he is.

I watched as some of the trade walkers tried to leave and ran for their lives but a numerous and large shield appeared out of nowhere congregated and envelop the whole place restraining and concealing any scape route the trade walkers might pass into. I stood there in awe and recognized the similar carvings the staff has and the shields together. I looked at the old man and he was gazing at every trade walkers there are as if it will be the last time those monsters might see the light.

So this is what he meant when he said he can create and wield any weapons he wants?

And without waiting for the sunset, the old man swung the staff and in mid-air it broke into two. The other one transformed into a chain and the other one a sword. He was holding both weapons in both hands. My head tried to register what I just saw and my mouth open wide in amazement. While I am still in wonderland, the chain extended and caught the running trade walkers and the old man pulled it closer to him and sliced the trade walkers' body with the sword on his other hand.

"Focus, Child!"

I flinched and immediately dodged a few onslaught from a trade walker that suddenly appeared behind me. While my spear was unable to fully severe and kill any of them, the old man's weapon easily cut them in half and behead each and one it made contact with. I can't even take my eyes off those two weapons in his hands.

I want those. So bad.

My heart raced as I looked at it. As if I was being pulled by an invisible connection, I still can't keep my head off how much I want to touch those weapons even in the middle of a fight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Cecilia By Anastasia

General Fiction

30.5K 732 27
Cecilia's father, a well-known and successful lawyer, was tired of her problems. Tired of the issues she had been causing for the family and it's nam...
269K 17K 47
The feeling of being abandoned by one's own family was not unknown to Aadhira. She hates her family for abandoning her when she was only a newborn, l...
447K 17.7K 48
Vikram, a senior officer, prioritizes his duty above all else, much like his father, ACP Rajendra. He has three siblings: one is an officer, and the...
177K 6.5K 81
Not many people understood 12 year old Jessica, as a person and an individual. That doesn't include, however, her older sister, who Jessica adores w...