Dare You To Love Me

By Jidderh_Khidir

❝an honest heart is a kingdom in itself❞ ❃ Yaseerah Bako's world is throw... More

author's note + disclaimer + copyright
epigraph + story & character aesthetics
«0» whispers of fate
«1» an unspoken connection
«2» a fragile balance
«3» house of glass
«4» unraveling faux friendships
«5» an uncharted territory
«6» all my love
«7» truths we hide
«8» thoughts of you
«9» tea and temptation
«10» on my radar
«11» lies we tell (I)
«12» lies we tell (II)
«13» shadows of love
«14» bonds and baggage
«15» late night bonding
«16» isn't it delicate?
«17» the hope taken
«18» glimpses of us
«19» can we... surrender?
«20» a familial embrace
«21» so be it
«22» heartbeats and heartbreaks
«23» love and lies
«24» requiem of trust
«25» ghost of us
«26» a dark cloud
«27» we were embers
«28» angels and demons
«30» a delicate dance
«31» these broken wings
«32» the lion's den
«33» a new dawn
«34» a gentle touch
«35» rekindling old friendships
«36» slice of forgiveness
«37» a path forward
«38» forever starts here
«39» a moment eternal
«40» hearts in peril
«41» a daughter's plea
«42» faith and fear
«43» beneath the surface
«44» trippin' on us
«45» ties that bind
«46» a thousand heartbeats
«47» in your arms
«48» light and shadows
«49» edge of despair (I)
«50» edge of despair (II)
«51» bridges across time
«52» K for karma
«53» weight of loss
«54» shadows of loss
«55» into the abyss
«56» lift me up
«57» you and I
«58» peace and pieces
«59» tiny pretty things
«60» to love you
«∞» for a lifetime
bonus chapter- her mother's daughter
« author's note »

«29» beneath the surface

366 48 4
By Jidderh_Khidir

A wave of relief washed over Yaseerah as Amina’s familiar face appeared on the camera panel, the tension in her shoulders abating slightly.

When she deactivated and reset the alarm when Amina was inside the foyer with her, she didn’t bother with greetings as she grabbed her arm, and pulled her along with a haste that surprised them both.

“Whoa! Slow down,” Amina said, righting herself when she stumbled slightly. “What’s going on, Yaseerah? You look like you’re running away from a ghost.”

“No ghosts,” she replied cryptically, a nervous edge to her voice. Her gaze darted anxiously towards the kitchen as she steered Amina towards the staircase. “Just... some complications.”

“Yaseerah—”

“Not now,” Yaseerah cut her off, torn between telling her cousin to leave because she wasn’t ready to open up to her and needing her support because she needed her opinion.

“Seriously, Yaseerah, what’s going on? You’re acting like you’ve just committed a crime, and I’m your accomplice,” Amina huffed, as they ascended the stairs, her gaze distractedly taking in her surroundings.

Yaseerah sighed, her grip on Amina’s arm tightening involuntarily. “It’s complicated.”

Amina’s lips rounded, a mix of eagerness and dread flickering across her face, before she settled on open curiosity, as she dug her feet in, prompting Yaseerah to stop. “Are you in trouble?”

Yaseerah hesitated, glancing around nervously as if the walls had ears. “Depends on your definition of trouble.”

“Yaseerah!” Amina’s eyes widened in surprise, before her face broke into a huge grin that had Yaseerah rolling her eyes. “I never thought I’d see the day.” Amina’s voice was low, as she wiped an invisible tear from her eye. “I’m so proud of you.”

“Only you would think my being in trouble is something to be proud of,” Yaseerah huffed, as she hesitated by her door for a few seconds, unsure if she was ready to share Fou’ad’s creation with her cousin yet.

“Don’t be a Debby downer,” Amina pouted, placing a hand over her chest like Yaseerah’s words had wounded her. “Allow me to have this moment, please.”

“Are you done?” Yaseerah’s tone was impatient as she stared down at her cousin.

“Sure,” Amina crossed her arms over her chest, a playful smirk on her face. “Spill it, Yaseerah. I promise not to judge, at least not too much. What trouble did you manage to land in this time?”

“Like I’ve ever found myself in trouble,” Yaseerah mumbled under her breath, as she hesitated by her bedroom door, the weight of unspoken truths pressing down on her.

Opening up meant exposing vulnerabilities she had been forced to conceal, and burying it like she had always done meant she would forever stay locked in the past. But was she ready for Amina to see beyond the walls she’d built?

“Spill, what’s going on?”

Yaseerah bit her lip, unsure of how much she needed to say, as her hand closed on the door handle.

Amina sensing Yaseerah closing up before she even had the chance to open up sobered up, her playfulness turning into genuine concern, as she placed a hand on Yaseerah’s shoulder.

“You know you can count on me, whatever it is, we will figure it out together,” her tone softened.

Leading Amina into her bedroom, Yaseerah took a deep breath, as she sank onto the edge of her bed, her gaze fixed on a point in the distance as she began to think of how to begin to voice out her problems. Perhaps Abbad was right, she needed to see a counselor.

“You know that I won’t betray your trust.”

“I know.” Yaseerah’s lips pressed together into a tight smile. “But, can you teach an old dog new tricks?”

“You’re not a dog,” Amina scowled, fighting the urge to shake her cousin until she could knock some sense into her. “Your father really has done a number on you, hasn’t he?”

“Sorry,” she smiled sheepishly, guilt turning her mouth sour. “I shouldn’t have—”

“It’s fine,” Yaseerah shrugged, a bitter edge to her tone. “It is what it is.”

“You sound angry, and bitter,” Amina pointed out, her tone soft.

“I am angry and bitter,” Yaseerah responded, her tone sounding edgier.

“Wow,” Amina whistled, her face spitting into a grin, as she perched on a nearby chair. “Who are you and what have you done with my cousin?”

“Shut up!”

“I like this Yaseerah better,” Amina mused. “It seems like marriage has done a great deal of good on you. Who knew all it will take for you to act human is to get married?”

“It’s called personal growth,” Yaseerah sniffed, tipping her head up to hide her embarrassment.

“Is that what it is?” Amina teased. “I thought you were on Fou—”

“Okay enough,” Yaseerah cut her off, her cheeks burning red.

“You don’t even know what I was going to say,” she pouted.

“I don’t want to know.”

“Fine,” Amina huffed. “Now, tell me, what’s wrong?”

Yaseerah sighed, not exactly sure how to answer. She didn’t particular want to talk about Fou’ad or Bilal or any of her problems with Amina but she had no idea who else she could talk to.

The idea of baring out herself to a complete stranger like Abbad had suggested didn’t seem appealing to her. So, Amina would have to do.

Scraping a hand over her chin, she looped her in on what had happened in the past couple of weeks.
And by the end of it, Amina looked as uneasy as Yaseerah felt.

Amina leaned forward, placing a comforting hand on Yaseerah’s shoulder. “You’ve got to talk to Fou’ad, Yaseerah. Communication is key in relationships. I know opening up is difficult for you but don’t let misunderstandings ruin what you two have. I know that if you let him in, you won’t regret it. And with Mamu, I know that he will help you out, no questions asked.”

Yaseerah nodded, her eyes betraying the inner turmoil she felt. “That’s where I’m torn. I know that he will help, there’s no doubt about it, but I don’t want to burden him any more than I have to, especially after our fight. It’s like I’m walking on a tightrope, and I’m afraid of falling.”

Amina squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. “Well, you’re not alone on that tightrope in shaa Allah. I’m right here with you. So, we’ll figure this out together. What can I do to help?”

Yaseerah met Amina’s gaze, gratitude shining through her uncertainty. “Help me unravel this mess with Fou’ad. I don't know where to start, and I—”

A knock on her door cut her off mid–sentence, and the two exchanged a look, before Yaseerah rose to her feet, and walked to the door, her heart in her throat.

When she opened the door, the sight of Fou’ad staring at his feet instead of looking at her was like a punch to the solar plexus.

“Your father invited us to brunch,” he said, his voice monotone as he continued to avoid her gaze. “I didn’t want to accept in case you had made plans. So, I wanted to check in and—”

"Brunch sounds lovely,” she cut him off, her voice raw, as she stared at her feet, willing herself not to cry at the coldness emanating from him. “I’ll get ready in half an hour.”

Was this how people felt when I froze them out?

When he retreated without a word, Yaseerah rubbed at her chest, wishing the burning feeling expanding would disappear.

“I think I’m having a heart attack,” she uttered lowly, almost to herself but Amina who was standing besides her eavesdropping, snickered, earning a reproachful look from Yaseerah.

“Don’t be dramatic,” Amina teased, a playful grin on her lips to soften the tension. “It doesn’t suit you, but hey, we can always work on that.”

Scowling, Yaseerah turned on her cousin, the cold mask slipping back onto her face easily.

“No, no, no,” Amina waggled a finger at Yaseerah, her lips tilting up into a smile. “None of that. I’ve seen your heart and soul, so no more pretending with me.”

Yaseerah’s shoulders sag, prompting Amina to lean in and give her a warm hug before pulling away, her eyes holding a mix of understanding and determination.

“I’ll leave you to get ready, but I’ll be in touch soon, and hopefully with more solutions.”

“I’ll get the door for—”

“No worries,” Amina smiled slyly, as she gently pushed Yaseerah away from the door. “Fou’ad will open the door for me.”

“What are you up to?” Skepticism clouded Yaseerah’s eyes, as she stared at her cousin.

“What? Me?” Amina’s eyes widened slightly, as she affected an innocent look. “Nothing.”

“I know you’re up to something. Please, don’t make things more complicated than they are.”

Amina chuckled, her eyes gleaming mischievously. “Trust me, Yaseerah. I’m just pulling a few strings for your benefit. You’ll thank me later.”

“Amina—”

“You called me here to help, and help I will.”

“Meeee—”

Yaseerah’s words were cut off, when Amina abrubtly left the room, closing the door firmly behind her.

Yaseerah shook her head, feeling a touch of gratitude and frustration as she stared at the point where Amina had been standing before.

Blowing out a breath, she turned her attention to her wardrobe, knowing she didn’t have enough time to set her cousin straight and also to get ready for the brunch.

•—۵—•

Amina hurriedly caught up with Fou’ad, her steps quickening to match his pace. “Hey, Fou’ad, wait up!”

Fou’ad turned to face her, his handsome features momentarily catching her off guard. Amina cleared her throat, subtly composing herself. “I just wanted to talk to you for a moment.”

He raised an eyebrow, his face betraying none of his emotions as he waited for her to continue.

Flustered for a second, Amina took a deep breath. “Look, I know you and I have never had one-on-one conversations before. So, I’m Amina.”

“Yaseerah’s cousin.”

“Yes,” she nodded excitedly. “One of many.”

Fou’ad didn’t share her amusement, as he continued to stare at her, prompting her to sober up immediately.

“Look, I’ve known Yaseerah my whole life. She’s my cousin, and I care about her a lot.”

Fou’ad nodded, his expression remaining neutral, as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“I know that she acts like a bitch sometimes, but it’s not intentional. I know that it isn’t my business to meddle but whatever is going on between you two, just go easy on her,” Amina said, her tone shifting to one of earnest concern. “She’s been through a lot.”

Fou’ad’s response was measured “Amina, I appreciate your concern, but you’re right. It’s not your business to meddle, this is between Yaseerah and me.”

Amina’s smile turned into a scowl. “Fine, if you want to be like that. But just remember, she’s my family, and you better treat her right. I will not let you or anyone hurt her again, not with everything that’s going on.”

Fou’ad simply nodded again, not showing much emotion, even as her words piqued his curiosity.

“Oh, and one more thing,” Amina added, “Ask Yaseerah why her father walked her down the aisle. Now, come and open the door for me, I’d like to be on my way.”

With that, she turned, not allowing him the chance to speak again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 1.2K 56
A WORK OF FICTION. Tales Of The Heart could come in different forms. My story might be different from yours, her story may be similar to yours, our s...
77K 14.1K 42
A fiction book about two people meant to be, a book about Hammad and Yusrah. Hammad Buba Marwa is a 31-year-old microbiologist and, a handsome, class...
70.1K 8.6K 39
Sacrificial love was what seemed to be the only choice for Basmah, for her cousin with nothing but the family. But they say some people are promised...
1.1M 54.4K 33
𝘽𝙮 𝙁𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝘽𝙊𝙊𝙆 # 01 Get ready to immerse yourself in the enthralling world of "Ayesha," a story about a 19-year-old college gi...