Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

By KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... More

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets

247 16 0
By KageNishi

Irnetia Island

For a moment, Bernie couldn't believe his eyes. He had witnessed a new tank, not the Hound. It was smaller than the Hound, and instead of a tank gun protruding from the turret, it had a thin rod. If a knowledgeable Japanese person had seen it, they would have noticed that the vehicle closely resembled the old Imperial Japanese Army's Type 95 Ha-Go light tank.

As the new vehicle approached a defensive position partially collapsed by shell explosions, it started spraying flames from its turret, scorching the inside of the trench. Soldiers inside couldn't bear it and jumped out. Many soldiers were engulfed in flames before the Gra Valkan tanks mercilessly gutted the fleeing soldiers with machine gun fire. There were even Hounds firing shells at the group of fleeing soldiers.

On Earth, tanks were invented and evolved as weapons to breach defensive positions like trenches. The same was the case on Yggdra, and the Gra Valkans had prepared weapons and tactics for trench warfare. Despite the 501st Platoon building defensive positions to guard against aerial attacks, they never imagined a weapon like the lookalike of a Ha-Go equipped with a flamethrower, and their meticulously fortified position was torn apart. While they knew that the Parpaldia Empire utilized the lindwurm, the Mirishial Army scorned it as barbarian tactics and had not researched the usefulness of flamethrower attacks.

Upon calm reflection, there were few who could answer which was a crueler way to be killed – being chased and shot while engulfed in flames by a tank or having the tank's armor penetrated, leading to an explosive death. However, witnessing the scene unfolding before him, Bernie's anger boiled.

"This is 2, I'm going in!"

"1 to 2, stay put. Follow your orders."

"You're leaving our men to die!?"

"Wait for air support."

"When is that coming!?"

"I'm checking on that right now."

Bernie barely swallowed the "Fuck you" he was about to spit out. It wasn't just Bernie feeling this way. Fortunately, before someone exploded, more information continued from the manacomm.

"The Navy will send an attack plane immediately."

Bernie's anger meter went up further. It didn't seem very fortunate.

Another voice from the manacomm. "This is the 42nd Squadron, 501st Platoon, respond."

What kind of squadron is just one plane? Bernie thought, but Hanry responded calmly.

"This is the 501st Platoon leader. We are under enemy attack. Hurry up and come to our aid."

"Where is your location?"

Hanry read out the coordinates used for requesting artillery support on the ground, but was interrupted.

"That tells me nothing. Are there any landmarks visible from the sky?"

Hanry fell silent. The 501st Platoon's front line was in open land, with no noticeable terrain or buildings nearby. Disgusted by the poor coordination between the Army and Navy and Hanry's lack of resourcefulness, Bernie threw a lifeline.

"This is 501st Platoon Unit 2. The enemy is attacking with fire. Use the fire as a marker."

Bernie thought he had a brilliant idea, but his confidence was quickly shattered.

"There are fires all over the place."

Bernie cursed his own carelessness. There was no reason they would be receiving special treatment from the enemy.

"2, don't interrupt the communication on your own," Hanry snapped.

But instead of being discouraged, Bernie's anger increased. You're the one sending unnecessary communications in this emergency. At that moment, he came up with a new idea. Why didn't he think of this first?

"We'll deploy smoke grenades. How about that?"

"Tell me the color."

Mirishial's smoke grenades used magic stones and changed color periodically. Since various combinations could be created based on colors, each unit was assigned at least one specific color (combination). Bernie was about to answer, but before he could, Hanry spoke.

"You're giving away our position!"

Hearing this, Bernie had a flashback to a conversation when they landed on the island.

I thought I could enjoy a safe second life in the rear... but my plans got messed up.

It was Dristoy who said that, but Bernie thought Hanry felt the same thing.

Bernie wasn't an ardent patriot. He didn't volunteer for the Hymax's development out of passion. Bernie, a student at the Runesvaletta Magic Academy (technically, he is still an active student, as he is on leave of absence), had failed a required course and went to Professor Corcana to request a makeup exam. Instead, he was invited to participate in the development of the Hymax in exchange for credits. There were a few students in similar situations, but Bernie was the only one with the aptitude to pilot a Magic Trooper.

So, when Bernie heard Dristoy's line, he didn't think much of it. However, through several combat experiences, Bernie's mindset has undergone a change. In reality, Hanry wasn't as selfish as Bernie thought at that moment, but Bernie had no way of knowing that.

"I won't ask you, Mr. Hanry; I'll do it myself. Then there won't be any complaints!"

In a situation that could escalate into a quarrel within the squad, the transmission from the 42nd leader temporarily interrupted it.

"Hurry up and decide. I'm being chased by enemy fighters too."

With that, Bernie made up his mind.

"I'll do it. Fine. The colors are red, white, orange, blue, over."

After conveying the colors of the smoke grenade, Bernie manipulated the Magic Trooper's right arm and took the smoke grenade attached to the side of the backpack (the cover for the engine looks like a backpack).

"42nd Squadron, waiting for red, white, orange, blue smoke."

"I've confirmed the recitation. Good luck."

There was no reply from the 42nd leader. He probably had more pressing matters. Bernie ignited the magic stone in the smoke grenade and threw it towards the trench where Hanry's Unit 1 was hidden. Four-colored smoke rose into the air.

"2 to 1. Sorry, sir. I threw the smoke grenade, but the wind blew it away."

In an instant, Unit 1 jumped out of the trench using its aerial maneuvering, followed by Bernie and his Unit 2. He wouldn't hide behind allies. Such determination was fitting for his age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flashback

The element consisting of Taurus and Wyatt approached Irnetia Island from a relatively high altitude. For Taurus, who was flying the Elpacio 3' to match the Zigrant 2's speed, this was a welcome situation, but he began to worry if they could accurately drop the bomb from such a high altitude.

"It's less likely to be spotted if we lower the altitude."

"Enemy and ally are mixed up. We need to survey the battlefield from above to accurately drop the bomb."

After this reply, Wyatt began contacting the ground forces. Meanwhile, Taurus remained vigilant of the surroundings but noticed a shadow higher than them. Judging from the silhouette, it was the Antares, and it was descending while starting to turn towards them.

"Incoming enemy from the upper left."

"Can you handle it?"

"Of course."

Taurus opened the throttle to the maximum, accelerating the aircraft and breaking the formation.

. . .

Koenig's Antares was flying solo.

The Gra Valkans had decided on a strategy of having fighter planes operate in pairs. This was proposed by Koenig, who had engaged with the Elpacio 3' earlier. Initially, Koenig was paired with a Navy pilot, but his partner became a casualty in their first sortie. Afterward, the Navy's air group held back from active offensives, so Koenig had no opportunities. As the damaged aircraft was nearly repaired and the numbers were back, the Gra Valkans launched a large-scale offensive, and the Navy's air group conducted a massive sortie. Still, there happened to be no pilot available to pair with Koenig.

However, Koenig was vaguely aware that he was being treated like a jinx. He was the sole survivor of the Doiva Base's Army air group, and the aircraft carrier Sadalbari, on which he first landed, was attacked and sunk. Furthermore, his partner in the first sortie was killed in action.

Among naval pilots, there were few who doubted Koenig's skills. He flawlessly executed carrier landings and shot down a total of four enemy aircraft in the battles around Irnetia Island. However, pilots who wanted to avoid bad luck tended to avoid him. On the other hand, Koenig didn't feel inclined to condemn them. If the roles were reversed, he could easily imagine doing the same. Although he wasn't given special treatment on the aircraft carrier, an uncomfortable Koenig volunteered for solo sorties. The Navy air group commander tried to dissuade him, but it was merely a formal gesture.

Koenig was searching for the last prey to earn the title of ace, and he found a formation of two aircraft flying at a slightly lower altitude. Curiously, it was a formation of a fighter and an attacker, flying slowly with the attacker in the lead making them seemingly easy targets. Koenig descended and tried to maneuver behind the enemy formation.

However, it seemed the enemy fighter noticed them. While Koenig's Antares was executing a high-speed and large-radius left turn, the enemy fighter, from a low speed, started rapid acceleration and ascent, attempting to turn its nose towards Koenig with a short-radius right turn. Observing this maneuver, Koenig intuited that it was a formidable opponent. The enemy aircraft would likely finish turning its nose toward him first. Considering the distance and relative speed, the probability of the enemy's shots hitting him was not high but not zero. However, if he tried to switch to a right turn for evasion, he would expose his rear. Given the current speed and acceleration capabilities, he could shake off pursuit quickly, but the probability of being hit would increase. Prepared to be on the receiving end of a preemptive attack, Koenig continued the left descending turn.

. . .

Taurus found it difficult to gauge the enemy pilot's skill. Despite taking the inside track in the turning dogfight, the enemy plane didn't alter its turning maneuver. Taurus had hoped the enemy would panic and switch to a right turn. Either the enemy pilot was foolishly unaware of the possibility of a preemptive attack, or they were a savvy individual avoiding being taken from behind in a right turn. There was no conclusion even if Taurus agonized over it. Taurus focused on seizing the opportunity for a preemptive attack.

Taurus pulled the trigger. Luminous magic bullets were shooting toward the enemy plane. However, there was no further change. Normally, when under attack or subjected to gunfire from behind, a pilot would panic and try to evade. However, the enemy plane barely moved, almost as if it had anticipated Taurus' firing angle. The accuracy of the shots wasn't high to begin with, but the lack of reaction made Taurus break into a cold sweat. Though the situation was different, Taurus recalled the first time he was hit. He had fired magic bullets with the intention of a sure hit, but they were easily evaded. In his eagerness, he pursued the enemy, only to be dodged with a left twist, eventually getting his tail shot and making an emergency landing in the sea. It wasn't clear if this was the same pilot as back then, but the tingling sensation he felt upon encountering an opponent was similar. The enemy was undoubtedly an ace pilot.

In the middle of turning, the Antares changed from diving to climbing, reducing its turning radius and attempting to enter the inner side compared to the Elpacio 3'. Although a scissor maneuver was known to be a bad move, Taurus continued the right turn, keeping the plane's nose pointed at the Antares and continued to fire. However, he couldn't land a hit with the magic bullets, and both planes passed each other. Despite the Antares had a chance to fire, it didn't do it. Taurus was puzzled seeing this, but he realized the enemy's intention after passing each other. The enemy was aiming for Wyatt's plane, not his.

"42 Leader, I missed the enemy. Dive for cover!" Taurus shouted the warning to Wyatt, quickly switching to a left turn and pulling the control stick, raising the nose further. Continuing the right turn wouldn't catch up with the enemy aircraft. So, although he had trained for it but never tried it in real combat, Taurus chose a maneuver. The Elpacio 3' performed a rapid upward spiral, followed by an Immelmann turn, reversing the course in the shortest time.

. . .

As soon as Wyatt finished contacting the 501st Platoon, he scrutinized the battlefield for any signs of smoke. He could tell there wasn't much wind from the movement of flames. In this situation, colorful smoke, neatly separated like a Pousse-Cafe cocktail, should be visible.

"42 Leader, I missed the enemy. Dive for cover!"

Wyatt immediately followed the advice. Trying to handle the unbalanced aircraft carrying only one bomb, he initiated a dive. Looking back, he saw a plane silhouette in the sky. It didn't seem like they would be shot immediately due to the distance, but being caught up was only a matter of time. He could only pray that Taurus would somehow handle it before that.

Looking back and then ahead, Wyatt spotted the four-colored smoke he was looking for. He corrected his course.

. . .

Koenig left the Elpacio 3' behind and chased the Zigrant 2. He didn't particularly desire the title of an ace, but if he were to bring one down, it would be easier and safer with an attack aircraft than a fighter. Moreover, the military's goal was to defend the island (though according to their enemy, the Gra Valkans were the invaders), and the final decision would be made by ground forces. In other words, having an attack aircraft that supports ground forces shot down would cause more significant damage to the enemy than a fighter.

The Zigrant 2 made a gentle turn to the right while descending, seemingly intending to put some distance between itself and Koenig's Antares. However, the Antares had both higher speed and altitude. It was the best move but nothing more than a desperate struggle. Koenig pursued the Zigrant 2 as his Antares made a dive. Closing the distance securely, he aligned the Antares with the Zigrant 2 for aiming. Just before pulling the trigger, shining projectiles streaked across his field of vision, making Koenig initiate a left upward spiral with his Antares in reflex. The bullets consecutively passed through where the Antares had been. When he turned to the direction they came from, he saw the silhouette of the descending Elpacio 3' chasing after him.

'No way! How did he catch up with me?'

Koenig pushed the question out of his mind and tried to focus on the battle. He continued the left upward spiral, intending to initiate a left twist if the enemy aircraft pursued. However, the Elpacio 3' turned to the right, and both aircraft temporarily distanced themselves.

The two aircraft continued their dogfight, but they reached no resolution.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 4.5K 39
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
102K 4.3K 50
❥❥❥ [BNHA x Fem!Reader] ❛❛𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪, 𝕎𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕞𝕖𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪...
174K 3.6K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
1.3M 54.6K 101
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC