By Chance | Complete |

By _STMG_

[Completed Book One]After a failed suicide attempt, the death of her parents the same day, and the loss of he... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chpater Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Three
Epilogue
By Desire - Book Two [Published]

Chapter Seventy Four

4.9K 96 8
By _STMG_

Lyra

"We need to go shopping," Sasha told me, tearing my blanket off of me. It had been tightly wrapped around my body until she rudely barged into my room at six thirty on a Saturday. "There are too many occasions where we need dresses coming up. Spring dance, and prom. We need to start looking, Ly."

"I feel like we have enough dresses for thirty proms."

"Prom dresses are different. Come on."

River asked me to go to prom with him after his celebratory dinner the other night. After we got home, he had roses and a box of chocolates waiting for me along with a diamond necklace with his jersey number.

He knew a big or public gesture would be a lot for me, so he did something small and alone. He already knew I was going to prom with him, he didn't have to ask. He didn't have to ask me to go to the spring dance either.

"Come on, Ly. I have spent the entire four years dreading shopping because I thought River's date would be Emily. You may not like it, but we are for sure going."

By seven forty five, Sasha and I were already at the mall, with a pit stop for coffee, of course.

"What colour are you going for?"

"Black."

"Lyra," Sasha gave me a look as she moved the hangers along the metal bar. "You can wear more than dark colours and River's clothes."

"Considering that's all that's in my closet, yes I can."

"Green?"

I looked down at the emerald green dress that was between her fingers. The material looked soft and silky.

"Maybe." I paused before pointing at a royal purple dress. "You have to try that one on. And the blue."

"Only if you try on a pink one."

By the afternoon, I swore I had tried on thirty seven dresses, unsure about all of them besides two. One I was considering for the spring dance and prom.

To my surprise, the soft pink dress flattered my curves and pale complexion. The fabric clung to my body until mid thigh, where it started to flow out. The draped neckline and bareback looked much better than I initially thought.

Sasha decided on a baby blue dress for her spring dress, with white and blue flowers along it with straps and a mermaid style.

"Come on, it's the spring dance. These are pretty."

I looked at my appearance in the mirror. "I think I like it."

"You definitely like it. The pink looks amazing on you, Ly."

Sasha was quick to take the pink dress from me, bolting to checkout, and paying with one of her father's credit cards.

"Thank you." I told her, clutching the purple shopping bag close to my chest.

"My dad wanted to pay for you dress."

Markus has treated me just like he treated Sasha. He gave me my own cards, even after multiple refusals, I eventually took them. Even though I had no reason or intention of using them.

"Of course he did."

"You're his adopted daughter, as he puts it."

"Are you serious right now, Babe? That's fucking rude." River tossed the fry that had just hit him on the cheek, landing on his plate.

"You and Teddy won't shut up."

"Because you have no idea how cool last night's game was." No I wouldn't have considering I gave him head while he was watching the basketball game on tv. I was preoccupied. "Teddy lost five hundred dollars."

"To Kol of all people, that seems like your own fault." Sasha reminded him. "Why would you two include Kol in your basketball bets?"

"I didn't think he'd place a good bet."

"You just placed a bad one."

"Baby, please. Placing bets is no joke. I never place bad bets." His fingers twirled around her braids. "He got so extremely, astronomically lucky. Kinda like how I got lucky with you."

She rolled her eyes, shooting a shared look towards me.

We talked to each other quietly while Teddy and River babbled on about sports. After our shopping trip, River told us to come over and he had dinner waiting for us.

Tonight, I was staying over and we were making cookies and I was helping him finish his history paper.

I was so excited about my dress, I wanted to show River it today. I wanted to at least show him a picture of it, but that would ruin his reaction.

I wanted to save that, I was for once, looking forward to a school event. The future.

I was excited to just see the adorable smile my boyfriend gets everytime I show off a new dress to him. He enjoyed it so much that he started sending multiple dresses a week to Sasha's house.

The spring dance was three weeks away, meaning senior activities would soon consume Mount View High. Graduation, prom, senior beach day, and completing last minute paperwork for college.

Soon Sasha and I would be packing to move to the city with Teddy and River and starting our first year of college.

It was a point I never, ever, thought I was going to get through during these last few years.

I enjoyed living in this moment, I looked forward to more moments like this in the future. The more boring one. The more fun ones. The ones I get annoyed by. The one I cry from, in a good way. The ones I learn and grow from. I just want more of this. As long as River is a part of it.

After Teddy and Sasha left, River started to get everything out to make cookies while I grabbed this laptop and iPad from his bedroom.

"Your blanket is by my laptop. My mom washed it." He called up to me, a cubirt door following close behind.

I smiled to myself, turning the knob to the door, and pushing it open.

I spotted my dark blue fuzzy blanket on his desk, next to his laptop.

I stopped when I saw a white piece of paper on top of it.

River's name was written on the back side and was flipped over to cover what the note said.

I looked back at his doorway before unfolding it.

We'll be out of the house until later in the night. It's yours for the evening. Tell the girl you love her already, you're driving everyone fucking insane. I love you.
Mom

The paper slipped from my fingers, landing on his desk.

My heart pounded against my chest as the words registered in my brain.

With the note tucked between my fingers, I made my way back downstairs, to the kitchen.

"Did you find it?"

"Your mom left you a note." I held the folded piece of paper out to him.

He took it, pulling me close to him, pressing his lips against mine. "The butter is already melting."

I kissed him back before opening his laptop at the table.

"I finished it after I dropped you off. Can you just read it over?"

I nodded as I opened his history paper, carefully reading each paper while he prepared everything. As I got to the end, there was an extra page. With only one thing written on it.

I love you, Lyra.

My throat squeezed as I glanced up at him.

He glanced up from the bowl as I felt my eyes give me away. Feeling them soften.

"I mean it. I am so madly, irreversibly in love with you. It's driving me insane. You've been driving me insane since Sasha went on a rescue mission to bring you into the group. I couldn't-"

"Stop," I had already closed the laptop screen, bolting around the table and straight into his arms. "I love you too."

My lips crashed against his, not even half a second after the words left my lips.

His lips were so hungry against mine, "You don't have to say it back. I needed you to know." He brushed his lips against mine before pressing his forehead on mine.

"I mean it too," I whispered. "I love you, River."

The happiest of grins spread across his lips. "I can't believe how addicting it is to hear you say that. How bad I needed to hear you say that."

I loved seeing him smile, it lit up my tiny world. It saved my world more than he could possibly, ever know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

654 40 17
"If you hate me so much, then why do you stick around?!" I yelled. "I don't hate you. You're just so fucking annoying!" He yelled back, throwing his...
3.8K 117 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
131K 3.4K 21
[UNDER RECONSTRUCTION] Highest Ranking #1 Teenstories "Get your hands off me!" He smirked and leaned closer to my face. "Why should I?" "Because I sa...
1.4K 57 46
[MAJOR WIP & EDITING GOING ON. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE] A past to run from. A new country to settle in. And avoiding men's touch in every way pos...