River of Styx

By canadianlady705

Being the owner of a roadside dive bar isn't exactly what she expected when the lawyer said her bio dad had l... More

Prologue
Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Seven

167 14 2
By canadianlady705

       It was a new day and Kenny had spent her evening watching videos and looking up most of the projects on her list. To herself she could admit that maybe she was a bit over her head. But she wanted to do this part herself. Put a piece of herself her in the middle of nowhere. So she'd figure it out.

With a homemade cold brew in a thermal cup Kenny stepped out ready to make a mess. Locking up the trailer door Kenny turned and froze. Standing maybe twelve feet away stood a young guy or maybe boy. And she knew just by one look at familiar green eyes that it was her brother.

" Hi River, I'm Kennedy" she introduced herself not really knowing how else to start.

" What are you going to do about my mother?" He shot the question out but the tone was almost resigned, zero emotion. " I know she did something bad. She's not a good person but..." he offered hesitantly but then just trailed off.

" But she's your mother." Kenny finished for him and took a seat in one of the lawn chairs she'd set up outside. " I get it River. I call my mother Candy because she never really was a mother to me. Didn't protect me or care like one is suppose too. Luther left me with her and my childhood was a shit show of foster care and bad situation." She told him motioning for him to take a seat in the other chair. It took a moment but finally he moved to sit.

" Luther wasn't the greatest dad but he was here. He didn't love my, Colly. But he made sure I was in school and taken care of for the most part. He tried I guess. Colly did too but I think she did it just to keep her place with Luther. The club, some of the guys like Hoss and Cuff watched out for me. And Lacy...she's not like the other women who hang around the guys" River explained but kept his eyes trained in the ground as he spoke. His shoulder dropped as he unloaded his own sad story of shit parental units. In that moment Kenny saw the child peaking out and it squeezed her heart.

If she'd come here years ago Kenny wasn't sure she could have made this kids life any better being in it. Hell she still needed therapy but the Mulligan's had taught her all she needed to know about what family should be. Knew that at fourteen she was coming into his life maybe too late. But she wanted to give River what she'd found.

" River, look at me." She ordered her voice gentle with a little touch of an order to it. And it took a moment but finally his eyes lifted to meet hers. Eyes that held no hope or shine but were just like hers. Something Luther had passed to both of them. " You are my brother. You're blood. That means your mine now and I take care of what's mine. I'm not leaving. I'm your sister which means that I have your back now. And you have mine. The rest we figure out as we go" she stated with zero give or waver in the conviction of her words. In that moment Kenny claimed him and deep inside Kenny wanted this just as much as he needed her. She'd never been needed before.

" That simple" she shot back a little defensively but Kenny didn't take it personal. Trust was earned and he'd learned not to trust. She got it better than anyone else could.

" Yep, that simple. Now I know we're in June but shouldn't you still be in school?" She questioned trying to remember what day of the week they were on. " Grade Nine right?" She added taking a sip of her cold brew and pulled her phone out. It was Wednesday.

" Ya but there's no point in going. I'm failing every subject and missed to many days." River answered sounding embarrassed which pissed her off. Getting up she set her drink aside and took a knee right in front of his chair. She didn't reach out or touch him. They weren't there yet. But she got right in his space.

" River I'm going to step up. Be the adult you need to get you through the next couple years. And I'll warn you now that I'm not an easy going person. There are going to be rules and one of them will be you going to school. I will personally drive you into Boston daily if needed. I'll ride your ass to be better than what we came from but support you all the way through. Can you accept that?" She questioned at the end, leaving the ball in his court. Holding his gaze for a few more beats she stool and retrieved her drink. Letting him know that she didn't expect an answer right away.

" I don't want to leave" he finally spoke and it had her eyes moving to the clubhouse set back on the property. Knew the men he'd mentioned were part of it. The second part probably being that it was the only place he had.

" I'm setting down my own roots right here River. Bring the whole thing back to life. It'll take years before I deem it perfect. So leaving isn't something I plan to do." She offered like a first promise that made her uneasy. But this kid deserved what the Mulligans had given her. So she'd work out her own kinks and go from there.

Headed for the bar she called back to him that she needed to meet the club. " Bring a few down after lunch" she added then stopped as the thought hit again that he wouldn't be going to school. " and if your not in school then your child labour. I expect you here to help tomorrow with Lacy" she added before continuing on.

Inside the bar Kenny found Lacy taking the table tops off as most needed replacing or refinishing. Kenny had been informed yesterday my old Murph that it was an outdoor job. Especially if flames were involved and it made scene. She'd also set up for an electrician and contractor to come out today. But given the situation with River just now the plan might have to change a little.

Originally she'd thought only about setting up a club like back in Chicago. Get the restaurant and gas bar up and running to catch summer travellers or truckers. The motel really wasn't priority as they were pretty close to Boston. She'd been thinking more about for bar patrons and the odd travellers. Walking past Lacy she stepped outside to look at the motel. Saw Cian and Aidan loading up a bin someone not her had delivered.

The building was set up in a double level strip of 8 rooms in each level. Off the back she's found a laundry and utilities space but nothing else. Looking at it now Kenny considered the upper level. They'd need a place, River and her. Maybe converting it into three apartments while keeping the rooms downstairs. Give the kid his own room and maybe not normalcy but close to it. Maybe even a place for Lacy if she wanted it she'd just thought when the trucks coming up the highway caught her attention.

Trucks pulling trailers pulled in outside the motel and Kenny watched as Finn appeared and pointed out directions. As the line of them moved off behind the bar one truck pulled in and stopped right out front not ten feet from where she stood. Who she saw through the windshield had her silently cursing Sean Mulligan.

She'd never officially met Hugo but Quincy had told her enough to know that Finn wasn't going to be happy. While they may be family, the two rubbed wrong. Both sitting as the eldest sons and equally powerful.  Except from what she'd head Hugo put family first and had no problem calling Finn on his shit.  Rumour with their cousins in Chicago was that if Sean wanted too he could place Hugo as head of the family instead of Finn.  Kenny figured she'd be pissed too if a cousin was going to take her shit. 

     Question was why Sean felt she needed both men here.  Sure someone tried to kill her but they were dealing with it.  So far the big bad bikers were hiding or had taken off all together.  So why did she need both.  The thought was cut off when she saw passenger door open and a families face appear.  Her stomach dropping seeing Royce Black and the meaning behind his presence.  She fucking didn't like it either.

At this point he really shouldn't have been surprised. Royce had at least been smart enough to mention that he'd met Kennedy Cole while doing business for the family in Chicago. The how and when had been left out but Royce did offer that she wasn't going to be happy about a reunion. And he'd been right.

Allowing Royce to get out first Hugo watches the lasses face and began to question how hard he'd be hitting his travel buddy. Because the lass was pissed and from what he knew the lass was detached and cool as a cucumber. Not the I'm going to castrate you at first sight when she could be impassively planning your end as a fucking surprise. It was a cute look on her and had Hugo smiling as he stepped out to join them.

      "  Good to see you again Kenny." Royce greeted giving the lass smoulder that went completely to waste.  Seems the lass was going to go with ignoring the man.  Not as fun to watch as maiming but defiantly less messy. 

       " I'm Hugo Quincy. My Uncle is just taking extra care until we rule out any other issues with the Russians. I'm sure if need be I can trade this Black in for another of his brothers if there's an issue. Or you can just point me to where you would mind a hole dug for the body" he tried for humour but it was a lost cause. Arms now crossed he figured his uncle was going to own him after the ass chewing he was about to get. Instead she surprised him.

" I'm sure there is more too it but fine." She responded but he had a sister and mum and in this case fine, did not mean fine. " Colly is somewhere at the clubhouse. I'd like her alive when she leaves here for my brothers sake. We can talk about everything else this afternoon." She offered in a neutral voice then turned to head inside.

Only when they'd unloaded the trailer out back and met up with his cousins did Hugo finally ask. The answer had all four men turning to scowl at the man.

" I needed back up in a pinch and tagged your cousin Quincy in to help me" he answered, back turned so he didn't see their reaction.

" Your the idiot that got Quincy shot?" Finn ground out.

" Dude, Quincy is clearly not back up material" Aidan added sounding just as pissed.

" Wow, at the time he said he could handle it. And he's a Mulligan" Royce defended turning to see four pissed off men. " Shit! Fine, one shot each but it ends there. The lass already kicked my balls so hard I had to see a doctor" he grumbled and damn if that didn't make him smile.

It still didn't save him from taking a punch from each of them. Quincy was very clearly cannon fodder. The family had a few and one rule. You never put them in any situation to bleed.

A/N

Sorry all, that's the last one for this weekend. Back to work in the morning but will see what I can get done this week. Earliest I'll be posting the next chapter will be Friday.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

496K 21.3K 53
SONS OF ANARCHY meets BREAKING BAD (but make it gay). *** Young and naïve, Everett's preference for bad boys lands him under the prote...
1.8M 61.3K 39
We return to Broken Demons MC. After The Sons of Satan were wiped out things returned to normal until Knuckles had to go to Montana after the death o...
276K 9.6K 42
Ink is a brother of The Wolves MC. Sydney is a bartender at a local bar. Ink and Sydney have been dating for a while. Though they have a 9 year age...
3.3M 133K 57
Not even one night passes by when the nightmares don't visit him. He learned to live with them, hide them deeply, accept all the guilt of the things...