Cameryn May - A Fresh Start

By matildas_awfc19

Cameryn May is a 19-year-old Bristol City player who has finally received her first call-up for the senior En... More

Intro & Characters
Chapter 1 - Goodbyes and Hellos
Chapter 2 - A Simple Task
Chapter 3 - The Roomie
Chapter 4 - The New Squad
Chapter 6 - Team Day Out
Chapter 7 - Flashback
Chapter 8 - Spain Trip
Chapter 9 - The Spain Game
Chapter 10 - The Germany Game
Chapter 11 - The Australia Game
Chapter 12 - Beach Day
Chapter 13 - The End of Camp
Chapter 14 - Arsenal Day One
Chapter 15 - Debut Game Part 1
Chapter 16 - Debut Game Part 2
Chapter 17 - 20th of November
Chapter 18 - The Arsenal Girls
Chapter 19 - My Girl
NOT AN UPDATE

Chapter 5 - First Training

1.4K 30 0
By matildas_awfc19

The girls were awoken by the sun shining through the window. "Cameryn, get up and shut that goddamn window. You're closer," reasoned Leah from underneath her pillow.

"No, I'm too comfy," was the first response she heard. "Wait, the sun's up?!?!"

"Yes, that's why I'm asking you to shut the window, obviously."

"The sun rises at like 7.30 at the moment, we're missing breakfast." Leah scrambled out of bed followed closely by Cameryn.

They both rushed into the bathroom, "we can't shower at the same time," mentioned Leah.

"Well, then why don't neither of us shower and we both brush our teeth so we can appear semi-on-time, we can shower during the break before training and gym, okay?" decided Cameryn.

"Okay fine." Leah grabbed her hoodie from the floor, slipping it over her head; and then grabbed Cameryn's from the chair handing it across to her.

"Thanks," Cameryn said with a smile. She threw her hoodie on too and the pair made their down to the dining room. "What do say when we get down, like why are we late?" asked Cam.

"Just say we overslept," Leah grabbed Cameryn's hand and squeezed it. "You know you won't get in trouble for being late, right?"

"Yeah yeah, I'm just scared for my first training session is all."

"You'll do amazing, I know it." Leah held the door open for Cameryn once again and they made their way over to the buffet. "You should get-"

"I am never listening to you for food advice ever again," she interjected and turned herself away from Leah.

"Okay fine." They both grabbed their breakfast and made it over to the same table as yesterday.

"Why are you both so late?" asked Keira.

"We overslept," replied Leah before Cameryn could say anything.

"Of course you did Leah," was fired back by Lucy.

Leah and Cameryn quickly ate before ducking back up to their room to shower. "I dibs the shower first," yelled Cameryn as she ran into the bathroom.

"That's not fair," Leah called back as she followed her into the bathroom, "I need to shower first."

"No, you don't. You can wait," responded Cameryn.

"Cam, I'm injured let me shower first," Leah pouted her lip hoping to win the shower.

"Fin-, sike," answered Cam as she took her shirt off.

"Cameryn! Put a shirt on."

"No, I can lose more clothes, or you can get out."

"Ugh, fine." Leah finally gave up on bickering with the teenager and made her way back to her bed. "You better be quick in there we only have 45 minutes."

30 minutes later the bathroom door opened and a waft of steam flooded out. "You took half an hour, now I only have 15 minutes!" Leah was furious but knew she wouldn't stay mad for long.

"Sorry," responded Cameryn with not a care in the world. Leah shoved past her and proceeded to have the quickest shower of her life.

"Thanks to you my hair looks like I just rolled out of bed," she scowled as she returned to the bedroom. Cameryn glanced up from her phone to see a very flustered Leah attempting to tame her hair into a ponytail.

"You look fine, and we still have five minutes before we need to head down so come sit," she said while patting the spot beside her on the bed. Leah climbed up next to Cameryn and put an arm around her shoulders.

"Are you ready for your first training session as a Lioness?" asked Leah wanting to check on the younger player.

"Yeah, I'm just a little scared. I keep reminding myself that it's just football and that it's not that hard." Leah giggled at Cameryn's attempt to suppress her fears.

"Look at me Cam," Cameryn slowly turned her head to make eye contact with Leah. "You are so much better than you think you are, and you are going to go out there and show everyone how the centre midfield needs to be run, okay?"

Cameryn nodded slowly in response receiving a kiss on the forehead from Leah. "Okay let's go." They walked down to the locker room to change into their training kits, where Leah noticed that Cameryn tediously taped both her ankles after putting her kit on.

"What are you doing?" asked Leah with slight concern, "Are you injured?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it." Cameryn avoided eye contact the entire time she answered Leah, not daring to look up at the caring blonde.

"Okay, tell me about it later," responded Leah in the hope that Cameryn might break down her very strong walls.

"Mhm," replied Cameryn not wanting to let Leah in. Leah left the room to head into the gym alone before the rest of the team joined her.

Once everyone started moving into the gym too Cameryn followed suit. As she was new, one of the trainers worked closely with her for the morning session to help her understand how the gym works at England camps.

"You will be given your weekly plans during the weekend debriefs and planning sessions. You follow it as precisely as you can, and if there are any problems with the equipment or the course at all just ask one of us," said the trainer.

Cameryn nodded and began her workout, "do you need a spot?" a voice asked from behind her.

"Uhh, yes please," she responded hoping this person would be nice enough to help her out. The voice belonged to Beth Mead, she'd heard a bit about her from Leah but not much; only that she was really nice and like a mother figure to the entire team.

Cameryn began her bench press slowly levelling up to find her required weight for the weeks to follow. "One more," said Beth as Cameryn was about to give up.

Cameryn thanked Beth for the spot and moved on to her next exercises of goblet squats and Bulgarian split squats. She thought that the trainers were genuinely trying to kill her right before team training.

The team's gym session eventually ended and they took a break for a quick lunch. Like normal, Leah and Cameryn sat together at the back table with some of the others; however, this time there was an uncomfortable silence in the air.

"We'll talk after training, okay Cam?" asked Leah before heading back to the gym for her afternoon session.

"Yes please, I'd like that," responded Cam hoping to repair whatever she ruined during their locker room conversation.

Cameryn's first training session was quite stressful without Leah by her side. She tried to stick with Ella and Alessia for the training but during the partner activities, she didn't have anyone to work with. Beth Mead thankfully came to her rescue and partnered up with her for the one and two-touch activities.

The training then developed into seven-on-seven games where Cameryn was put on a team with Ella Toone, Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Millie Bright, Lotte Wubben-Moy and Niamh Charles. First up they were playing against Hannah Hampton, Lucy Bronze, Esme Morgan, Georgia Stanway, Keira Walsh, Lauren Hemp and Beth Mead.

The games progressed rather smoothly with Cameryn's team getting the first goal with a right-footed goal from Alessia Russo. The lead was quickly lost when Beth Mead scored a similar goal against them hitting top bins. Ella Toone made a strong dribble through the centre of the pitch and sent a through ball forward for Cameryn to collect. Alessia stood wide to the left as a second option but Cameryn took the shot on goal and slotted it right past Hannah's reach.

The team crowded her, congratulating her on the goal. Even though it was just in training, wearing the England crest made it feel different. Leah appeared at the corner of the pitch, and as soon as Cameryn caught sight of her she began sprinting over. She threw herself up into Leah's arms, simultaneously wrapping her legs around Leah's waist.

"I scored in an England jersey," mumbled Cameryn into Leah's neck.

"I know, and I'm so proud. I can't wait to see what you will do on an actual pitch."

Training continued with Leah watching from the sidelines. The third team cycled their way through the seven-on-seven games before training was called to an end. Everyone returned to the locker room and began to change back into their tracksuits and hoodies. Cameryn didn't un-tape her ankles, instead, she took off her long football socks and slipped on her shorter crew-cut ones in place.

Leah grabbed both her bag and Cameryn's forcing Cam to head out and up to their room as soon as Leah left. There was silence for the walk back to the elevator and then down the hallway back to their room. Once inside they sat on their respective beds and neither dared talk.

"Cam, do you want to tell me about why you tape your ankles? I'm concerned that you're injured and not telling anyone about it," inquired Leah in a caring tone.

"I'm not injured. I was injured, that's why I tape my ankles, it's a preventative measure," replied Cam. "I injured my ankles when I was 15, some girl did a bad tackle and shattered my right ankle, the left one was only sprained. But now they are really weak that's all. It's a superstition I guess, if I don't do it I get scared that I'll hurt them again."

"So you promise me you're not injured?" Leah asked wanting to make sure the younger player wasn't hiding anything else.

"I promise." Cameryn stood up from her bed and moved over to Leah's, taking a seat beside her where Cameryn tucked her head into the crook of Leah's neck.

"I love you Cam, always remember that. You are going to be one of my best friends, I can just feel it," Leah spoke with true compassion and care for the younger girl.

Leah held a tight grip around Cameryn's waist pulling her in close while Cam kept her head tucked tightly into Leah's neck.

"Do you want to stay in and watch a movie, or we can join the rest of the girls in the common room for team bonding?"

"Uhh, let's go to team bonding, I want to see some of the girls. Oh yeah, I spoke to Meado today, she was really nice, exactly how you described her," replied Cam.

"Okay go take a shower and then we'll head out," spoke Leah.

She finally let go of Cameryn's waist allowing her to go take a brief shower. Cam emerged not even 10 minutes later with fresh tracksuit bottoms and a Bristol City training shirt on.

"Cute," said Leah as Cameryn walked out of the bathroom. Leah had changed too, she had old Arsenal shorts and another Lionesses hoodie on.

"Are you not going to shower?" asked Cam.

"Nah I'll shower when we get back," said Leah as she opened the door for Cameryn.

"Okay then," Cameryn took the invitation to walk out the door followed closely by Leah.

Once in the common room, they noticed they were the first ones to arrive. Leah lay down on the sofa and Cameryn sat at the other end.

"You're stressed, I can see it," spoke Leah hoping to calm down the 19-year-old before everyone else arrived.

"I'm just scared of what kind of questions I might get asked. Every time we do team bonding someone always asks a question they shouldn't and I shut down."

"You'll be alright, I'm here with you."

The rest of the team started to flood into the room quickly filling up the seats on the sofa and the bean bags. Cameryn moved over towards Leah to avoid being separated from her, she resumed the same position she had last time sitting in between Leah's legs and leaning into her chest.

Meado took a seat at Leah and Cameryn's feet holding onto Cam's ankle. They shared a smile before turning their attention to Millie and Rach who were running the team bonding.

"Okay we can either watch a movie, talk and play games or play football on the pitches in the dark?" asked Rach. The group decided on playing football which Leah wasn't too impressed by.

"I know I'm allowed to run, but I can't play football just yet," whispered Leah into Cameryn's ear.

"Come on, we can sit on the sidelines and watch together, or ya know, you could try and kick a ball with me," said Cameryn trying to convince the blonde to join her and the team.

"Cameryn it's only October remember, I've started running again but I'm not allowed to train until the end of November."

"What they don't know and what they don't see can't hurt them," Cameryn responded causing Leah to giggle a little.

The entire group snuck out to the pitches with the only light being provided from the scattered lampposts that lay around the field.

"Cameryn you going to play," asked Millie as they tried to sort out the teams.

"No, I'm going to hang with Leah for now if that's okay?"

"Yeah it's all good, do you want a football?" Millie replied.

"Oh, yes please." Millie kicked a ball across to Cameryn's feet where she kicked it up to her hands. "Thanks."

She jogged off towards the corner Leah was waiting in, kicking the ball towards the blonde. Leah stopped it with her foot and gently kicked it back.

"See it's not that hard, it'll be fun." They continued kicking the ball back and forth letting Leah slowly get more confident. She finally kicked the ball up and started to do some juggles.

"Look at you go," said Cameryn as she walked over closer. Leah finally stopped juggling the ball and opened her arms for Cameryn to hug her. She threw her arms over Leah's shoulders and felt Leah's arms wrap around her waist, followed by being spun around on the spot.

"I'm so proud of you Le. You're going to be back in no time," Cameryn praised as her feet finally hit the ground again. 

Le. Was it finally Leah's opportunity to receive a nickname from Cameryn? They continued playing football, kicking the ball between each other and Cameryn trying to tackle Leah, so cautiously as not to injure her again. 

"You wanna head back to the room for an early night?" asked Leah, Cameryn could tell she was starting to get tired from the football so agreed. They headed back in through the locker room, past the lobby and up into their room.

"I'm going to go shower and then I'm going to go straight to sleep," said Leah as she grabbed the old Arsenal shirt she'd been sleeping in and another pair of tracksuit bottoms, she seemed to have an endless supply.

"Okay enjoy," replied Cam. "I'll get ready for bed too."

She grabbed the old pair of Bristol shorts she'd been sleeping in and slipped on a black t-shirt, comfortable enough. Before she got into bed she noticed another Arsenal shirt sitting on the top of Leah's bag. "How many of these does she have?" Cameryn asked herself. She replaced her black t-shirt with the Arsenal shirt and stood in the mirror looking at the red and white jersey upon her top half. Maybe it could be a place for her after all?

"What are you doing?" asked Leah as she walked out of the steamed-up bathroom. 

"Oh sorry," replied Cameryn, "I'll take it off."

"No no, you can keep it, it's one of my old ones, it suits you."

"I like it, the red and white. It feels like home, and I want to play at a club that feels like home," she said while she fiddled with the bottom of the jersey, assessing how it fit her.

"Are you saying you want to come to Arsenal?" asked Leah with shock across her face. "I thought you said you could never because of your mum and dad?"

"I mean even if do go there, they won't be with me, so maybe it isn't as bad as I thought it would be; and you're there which is a positive. Either way, I haven't gotten an Arsenal offer so we're safe for now."

"What number would you get on the back?" asked Leah.

"Well, number 9 would be the dream, but Meado wears that and Caitlin wears 19 so probably 90. I'm not sure if that's allowed though."

"Don't worry at club level you can wear whatever number you want, there are no limits, except for maybe three digits." The last little comment caused both Cam and Leah to laugh audibly. "Why 90 though, obviously based around number 9 but where does that story come from?"

"My dad. He died when I was 9 years old, and if I go to Arsenal, it would be for him. So I want to wear number 9, or at least 90, on my back in honour of him."

Leah wrapped her arms around Cameryn's waist resting her chin on Cam's shoulder. "That's a beautiful way to honour him, Cam. I hope that one day you get to join me at Arsenal and sport that number on your back with his name, May, too."

Cameryn turned around to hug Leah front on, burying her head into Leah's chest with faint tears running down her cheeks.

"I want to play at Arsenal Le. I want to wear his name on my back, I want to honour him and make him proud."

"We'll deal with it later love. First, you need to beat Spain, and then Germany, and then Australia. At the end of camp, it'll only be mid-November, we'll figure out where you will end up after that. I promise."

"You make a lot of promises," whispered Cameryn into Leah's chest.

"I know, and I always keep them."

WORDS: 2914

a/n: this was an interesting chapter, tried to pull at some heartstrings with the story of her dad and maybe going to Arsenal, but I don't entirely know where this story is going, please feel free to ask for any plots you want to see or even completely other books

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.1K 1.3K 25
Gracie Adam's is a troubled 14 year old in need of love. When Gracie meets a couple in her most desperate times does she find the love she's always l...
Step up By Annac3

Fanfiction

31.7K 528 26
A new player has joined Arsenal WFC at a tense time. After playing in a championship club will she be able to survive in the top ranks? And will she...
15K 270 22
Alice White has never known any different then having a ball at her feet, from the age of around 6 she was already in the boys local team as there we...