Cameryn May - A Fresh Start

By matildas_awfc19

Cameryn May is a 19-year-old Bristol City player who has finally received her first call-up for the senior En... More

Intro & Characters
Chapter 1 - Goodbyes and Hellos
Chapter 2 - A Simple Task
Chapter 3 - The Roomie
Chapter 5 - First Training
Chapter 6 - Team Day Out
Chapter 7 - Flashback
Chapter 8 - Spain Trip
Chapter 9 - The Spain Game
Chapter 10 - The Germany Game
Chapter 11 - The Australia Game
Chapter 12 - Beach Day
Chapter 13 - The End of Camp
Chapter 14 - Arsenal Day One
Chapter 15 - Debut Game Part 1
Chapter 16 - Debut Game Part 2
Chapter 17 - 20th of November
Chapter 18 - The Arsenal Girls
Chapter 19 - My Girl
NOT AN UPDATE

Chapter 4 - The New Squad

1.6K 37 2
By matildas_awfc19

Cameryn nodded in agreement, "I'm holding you to that," and they began to head out of the room. The trip to the common room wasn't long, it required an elevator ride and a brief walk across the lobby. The pair then stopped outside the double doors before Leah pushed them open making their entrance much more grand than Cameryn anticipated.

"Look who's here girls!" screamed Leah as they walked into the room. Everyone's gaze was suddenly drawn over to the girls causing Cameryn to cower behind Leah's shoulder. "Oh come on you, they won't bite. Well, G might but she hasn't in a while."

All but Georgia started to laugh making Cameryn feel more comfortable in her new environment. The pair joined the rest of the group on the couches and everyone decided to ask Cameryn some questions about herself. She was hesitant to begin but after Leah nodded towards her she began to let her guard down and answer some.

"So how long have you been playing football?" asked Keira wanting to get to know the basics before anything deep.

"Well, I went to my first football game at four years old - my dad was a massive football fan. I started playing at five, and made my professional debut at 17." The group nodded along and shared curious looks with one another. Cameryn looked towards the door as she heard footsteps outside the door, simultaneously Leah gestured towards the group to not ask about her father. She knew Cameryn was already stressed about meeting the team and didn't want their questions to make it any scarier. The footsteps retreated away and Cameryn returned her attention to the group.

"So, any fun facts about yourself?" asked Lucy, "I feel like nobody wants to share any details about their personal life anymore, so maybe we'll start early with you."

"Umm, no not really. I'm currently floating around the transfer market, but that's about it. My contract at Bristol expired so I no longer have a team. Oh, and I also play guitar." Cameryn smiled content with her answer.

"Damn, I didn't know you played guitar," responded Leah, "that's pretty cool."

"Well, any offers from new club teams?" asked Alessia finally deciding to join the conversation.

"A few I guess. Nothing that's really 'piqued my interest' as one of my friends at home says. I'm just waiting to see if anything else roles in."

"Well we'd be lucky to have you at Arsenal," spoke Alessia, "we've seen your game tapes and stats, you'd be an amazing addition to the midfield with Lia Walti, Vic Pelova and even our new signing Kyra Cooney-Cross."

Cameryn didn't respond at that point not wanting to have to cover her resentment towards Arsenal. Instead, Leah placed an arm around her shoulders and pulled her to her side. "I don't think Arsenal is the place for May. In the nicest way possible," Leah said trying not to appear too harsh to the outside perspective.

Cameryn nodded whilst leaning further into Leah's side. "What was up with the new nickname?" she wondered to herself. Mary and Ella shared a glance between the pair wondering what was with the sudden sharing of affection. Ella brushed it off as a friendship and decided to ask Cameryn another question, "Summer or Winter?"

"Summer," responded Cameryn.

"Cats or dogs?"

"Dogs, I have one named Archie."

"Dresses or Suits?"

"Suits."

"Guys or girls?"

Cameryn stuttered as she attempted to form an answer, "Umm, uhh, gi-, gu-, both," she settled on. "I don't tend to care about gender, just that they're a nice person."

"So are you single, or...?" Mary asked to follow up Ella's series of questions.

"Single."

The girls murmured a response between themselves and then Mary and Ella asked at the same time, "What's your type?" Keira, Lucy and Alessia all looked shocked at the fact Mary and Ella asked such an out their question during their first meeting, but Georgia found it hilarious and joined in on the gang up on Cameryn scheme.

"I'm not entirely sure I guess, I haven't really had one in the past," Cameryn mumbled under her breath. She noticed that Leah had started drawing circles on the back of her shoulder with her finger, she used it as a sign to snuggle in closer. She didn't particularly know why she was doing it, she didn't fancy Leah as more than a friend. Maybe that's what it was, she was just a much-needed, close friend.

Leah noticed a message come through, she tilted it away so Cameryn couldn't read the screen and saw it was from Keira. She darted her gaze across the group to where Keira and Lucy were snuggled on a bean bag both peering at Keira's phone screen.

Kei

what's happening over there??

nothing for you to worry about
thank you very much

Keira giggled at the response and then moved on knowing she would be asking Leah about the cuddle session later. The group continued to chat until they realised it was time for dinner. When Cameryn arrived it was around 10.30 am, she and Leah had been so distracted with the tour, the new kit and getting to know each other that they'd missed lunch. Yet they didn't particularly mind, however, now that dinner had been brought up in conversation the pair leapt off the couch to make their way to the dining room.

Cameryn was walking swiftly beside Leah seemingly forgetting that on the other side of the dining room doors would be the rest of the England squad. Surely enough, Leah held open the door for her to walk in first where she was confronted with a room full of Lionesses.

"Umm, hi," she managed to mumble out.

Thankfully Leah came to her rescue, "Guys, this is Cameryn May, the newest Lioness, please make her feel welcome, and not too many questions thanks."

Leah guided her over to the food line helping her pick out the best foods - in Leah's opinion - before dragging her to an empty table at the back of the room. The rest of the common room group followed joining the pair at the table.

"Well, that's not how I expected to meet everybody that's for sure," Cameryn laughed to herself. The group giggled along with her attempting to take the mic out of her before being stopped by Leah. Leah gave all six girls at the table a stern glare before they tried to make fun of Cameryn any more than they already had.

Lucy glanced down at Cameryn's plate, "I see you let Leah pick out your dinner," everyone began to laugh once again.

"What makes you say that?" responded Cameryn.

"It's just... very plain," finished Keira.

This prompted Cameryn to glance down at her plate before diverting her stare to the side of Leah's head. "What on Earth am I eating?" she asked Leah. "How did I make it over here without realising I didn't have any real food on my plate?"

"There is real food," contradicted Leah.

"There is pasta, bolognese sauce and cheese, I don't think that really counts." As she glanced around the room she noticed the other girls with carbonara, big sandwiches and even slices of pizza. "You are not picking out my meals tomorrow, I'll leave that to someone else."

Leah pretended to take full offence to Cameryn's comments, but everyone could tell she was only messing around. Leah leaned over and whispered into Cameryn's ear, "After dinner do you want to go get ice cream, I know a place down the street from the hotel?"

Cameryn nodded resulting in a smile creeping onto Leah's face. The group continued to eat their dinner, light conversation being passed across the table. Cameryn suddenly felt a presence behind her, thankfully it was just Millie Bright and Rachel Daly.

"Millie, Rach, don't scare the newbie," warned Lucy.

Cameryn turned around to get a good view of the two women towering over her, "hi," she managed to squeak out.

"Hi kid," Rach said, "just wanted to check in and see how you're warming up to the place and the team. It's pretty nice ain't it?"

Cameryn nodded before being saved by Leah once again. "Cameryn do you want to head up to our room, you mentioned you were tired from the travel earlier," Leah began.

"But I thought-"

She was quickly cut off by Leah again, "I think it would be good to have an early night," Leah continued to nod her head intending to hint to Cameryn that they weren't actually going to bed. Although the hints had gone straight over Cameryn's head, she was still willing to follow Leah out of the dining room and into the lobby towards their elevator.

"Where are you going?" Leah asked as she walked towards the front doors, "Aren't we getting ice cream?" Cameryn's face lit up, she surely thought Leah had forgotten about their ice cream plans, but Leah could never forget. "Come on, let's go."

Cameryn basically ran out the door in front of Leah stumbling down the stairs and coming to a sudden halt at the bottom when she realised she didn't know which way she was meant to be going. "You okay there?" Leah asked.

"Yeah, just excited." Cameryn's tone had completely changed from the nervous, quiet teenager that everyone had met inside. Now she was loud, happy and excited like a child over the idea of ice cream. Leah caught up and timed her stride to stay beside Cameryn's flamboyant walk. It was only a few minutes walk down the street so it didn't take long for them to be standing outside the ice cream parlour.

"What flavour do you want, my shout?" asked Leah as they eyed off the massive display of ice cream. Leah ordered her vanilla scoop before repeating the question to Cameryn. Cameryn insisted on paying for both the ice creams or at least her own but Leah was relentless. "Just tell me which one you want."

"Cookies 'n' Cream, please."

"Ugh finally, I'll take a Cookies 'n' Cream too please," she asked the man behind the counter. After paying for both ice creams they walked outside to take a seat on a park bench. Leah noticed that Cameryn was starting to shiver, so she took off the puffer jacket layered on top of her hoodie to give to Cameryn.

She placed her ice cream on the bench beside where she was sitting and stood up in front of Cameryn. "Lean forward," she said, "please." Cameryn did as she was told and Leah carefully placed the puffer around her shoulders making sure not to bump the ice cream.

"Thank you. You know you didn't have to do that right?" she asked Leah.

"I didn't have to, but I wanted to, that's all. I'm the one who invited you out to get something cold on a cold night anyway."

They both gazed out into the open park cast in near-complete darkness except for a single lamppost shining down on the bench. It was peaceful, the stars were out and the world was quiet except for the occasional bird call or car engine.

"How'd you like your first day?" Leah asked, "I promise it's the last question for the night."

"It was good. Stressful, but good. I think having you by my side alleviated the pressure just a little bit. I don't know why but you're really good company."

"Haha, thanks."

The familiar silence filled the air once more, Cameryn had shuffled back across the bench towards Leah.

"Well you've gotten closer now haven't you," Leah mumbled once she noticed how close the younger girl was.

"It's cold okay," Cameryn reasoned in response.

"You're very dramatic Cam," Leah giggled to herself but Cameryn had gone quiet. Not a single noise came from the brunette, she shimmied away from Leah placing herself on the edge of the bench.

"I'm sorry, did I do something, or say something?" asked Leah, concern flashing across her face.

"Second option," was the only response she received.

"I'm sorry for calling you dramatic, it was just a joke," Leah said believing she found the problem.

"No not that."

"Then what is it." The stillness puzzled her even more. "Cameryn just tell me. Cam?"

Cameryn's face flashed again allowing Leah to see that she figured it out. "Oh it's the nickname," she said, "sorry I thought it was cute, I wanted something to call you that was just ours."

"Dad used to call me Cam, no one has dared use the name since he passed. I do usually tell people not to call me that but I must have forgotten. My twin brother calls me Cami and my dad calls me Cam."

"I'm sorry once again, I won't use the name again, Cameryn it is."

Leah shuffled closer to Cameryn trying to close the gap again. Leah placed her arm up on the top of the bench behind Cameryn allowing her to rest her head on Leah's shoulder.

"You can call me Cam," Cameryn quietly mumbled under her breath.

"Sorry, what?" asked Leah scared she'd missed another important point.

"You can call me Cam."

"No it's your dad's nickname for you, I don't deserve to use it."

"Please do."

Cameryn kept her gaze directed straight forward continuing to lean her head on Leah's shoulder.

"Okay then Cam," Leah responded as she placed a kiss on the top of Cameryn's head. 

"We're friends, right?" asked Cam.

"Yes, of course."

"Just friends?"

"I think I want just friends."

"Good, that's all I want too," concluded Cameryn.

The silence of the night absorbed them as they sat, Cameryn snuggled into Leah's side. "Don't forget you're only 19," Leah suddenly spoke again, "you have your whole life ahead of you. Don't get caught up in the present, okay?"

Cameryn nodded and began to shut her eyes. "Okay let's get you back to the hotel then," spoke Leah. She basically had to lift Cameryn off the bench and support her weight as they walked, an arm wrapped tightly around the younger girl's waist.

"You are acting like a child Cam, come on now." Reluctantly, Cameryn stood up, off of Leah, and began the walk on her own. It felt longer going back because of how late it had gotten. They snuck back into the hotel and tried to make their way back to their room when they were stopped by two teammates going the opposite way.

"Ella, Alessia, what are you doing up at this time?" asked Leah.

"Ah, no reason," Ella attempted to save them from the preempted questioning.

"Lies. I'll try again, what are you doing?" Leah began to pester them.

"Fine, we're going to the common room," Alessia admitted, "you guys can tag along if you'd like?"

"We're pretty tired so-" Leah started.

"Yeah, we'll come," Cameryn finished.

"I thought you were tired," Leah whispered.

"It could be fun," Cameryn responded with a glisten of hope in her eyes that Leah would agree to a late-night common room visit.

"Fine. Just for you." Cameryn grabbed Leah's hand and began to run down the hallway dragging the still-recovering player behind her.

"Cam, my knee. Cameryn!" Realising her mistake, Cam slowed up but only to a quick walk still dragging Leah behind her. The group arrived at the room and took seats on the bean bags and sofas once again.

"Did you guys have any plans?" asked Leah once they were seated.

"Nah not really, just wanted to get out of the hotel room," responded Alessia.

Ella had other ideas in mind so proceeded to share them with the group, "how about a quick game of fuck, marry, kill?"

"Ella, really?" responded Alessia and Leah at the same time but Cameryn had other plans.

"I'm in."

After much hesitation and convincing Leah and Alessia agreed to do a few rounds with the pair.

"Okay, how about I pick three people and you all have to give your responses?" asked Ella which everyone agreed to. "So, Tom Holland, Daniel Radcliffe and Thomas Brodie-Sangster."

"Did you have to pick all British people?" fired back Cameryn.

"Calm down, we'll try some others after, I was starting easy."

"Okay umm, fuck Thomas Brodie-Sangster, marry Tom Holland, kill Daniel Radcliffe," responded Cameryn. Alessia agreed and then Leah shared her opinion.

"Are you guys not Harry Potter fans at all? Fuck Daniel Radcliffe, marry Thomas Brodie-Sangster and kill Tom Holland," said Leah shocked at the underappreciation for Harry Potter.

"Oh my god you can't kill Spiderman," screamed Cameryn.

"Well, I just did." Leah got nudged in the ribs for the last comment but quickly moved on.

"Okay come on Leah give us one," asked Ella.

"Are girls okay?" The group nodded, although not all were attracted to girls it's still fun in a game of fuck, marry, kill. "Okay, Jennifer Lawrence, Sydney Sweeney and Emma Watson," said Leah, a smirk plastered across her face.

"Fuck Sydney Sweeney, marry Emma Watson and kill Jennifer Lawrence," was shouted out by Ella causing the rest of the girls to agree.

"How about you Leah?" asked Cameryn hoping to get a juicy answer.

"Same as you guys," Leah said quite unsure of herself, "should we play a different game?"

"Yeah sure," said Cameryn. Leah was lying against the armrest of the sofa with her feet towards Cameryn, so Cam decided she would go and slot herself down between Leah's legs.

"Whatcha doing?" asked Leah as she moved her legs to allow Cameryn to sit.

"Just getting comfortable," she responded as she leaned back into Leah's chest. Leah proceeded to wrap her arms around Cameryn's waist and rest her chin on her shoulder.

"What is going on with you two?" asked Ella as Alessia jabbed her in the ribs with her elbow.

"Nothing, just friends. She's just really comfy," replied Cameryn causing Leah to giggle. The group continued to chat about anything and everything, from the team to their home lives. Eventually, they all began to get tired, Leah took a glance at her watch and was shocked at the time she saw.

"Guys it's 1 am, we need to go to bed," she spoke frantically knowing they had to be up at 7 am for breakfast and the others had to be out to morning training at 9 am.

They all climbed out of their comfortable seats and scurried out of the common room into the elevator and up to their respective floors. Once they both reached the fourth floor Ella and Alessia headed right while Leah and Cameryn headed left. They said goodnight to each other and waved goodbye as they walked separate ways. Once in the room Leah and Cameryn immediately fell onto their beds climbing under the sheets in their clothes from the day.

"We should probably shower," Leah said while still climbing into bed.

"No we can do that tomorrow morning, right now I need sleep," Cameryn answered.

"Okay then, goodnight Cam. Hope you had a great first day," Leah flicked off the lamp light that had been turned on when they entered the room.

The space was flooded in darkness and a small voice cut through the silence, "Goodnight Leah. Thank you for making me feel so welcome today." It had only just crossed Cameryn's mind that she had only met Leah just over 12 hours ago, but somehow she felt closer to her than she had any of her other friends.

The room filled with silence once again and both girls drifted off to sleep in preparation for the day of training for Cameryn, and the day of gym recovery for Leah.

WORDS: 3184

a/n: this was a bit of a longer chapter, I'm planning on having Leah and Cameryn as purely an affectionate friendship, I think Cameryn might explore her love life after the England camp when she returns to club football wherever that may be

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.3K 392 32
Charlotte williamson. leah williamsons little sister can the 16year old become one of the best also started ages ago probably won't finish it
198K 5K 45
Y/N Mewis, soccer prodigy and younger sister of Kristie and Sam Mewis. What happens when a scout comes to one of her high school games?
71.7K 1.3K 38
Cara Gross is a professional football player for the german national team and vfl wolfsburg.She is the daugther of an ex professional ice hockey play...
Step up By Annac3

Fanfiction

31.6K 528 26
A new player has joined Arsenal WFC at a tense time. After playing in a championship club will she be able to survive in the top ranks? And will she...