Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

By KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... More

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin

297 19 0
By KageNishi

Inside the Pal Chimera 1, Captain Walman received a report of the Pal Chimera 2's damage.

"What a shame. The other Pal Chimera units completed their mission without incident."

Woken up from his nap by this news, Walman was in a slightly bad mood.

"But it's good to know about the possibility of the Zebil's premature detonation. Be sure to handle it with utmost care."

"It has already been informed, sir," replied his first mate Estman.

"Good. Meteos has served as a good example for us. If we don't learn from the lesson, it would be a disservice to him."

Walman is not on bad terms with Meteos; it's just that both of them tend to be overly rational. And their 'rationality' was subtly different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Emperor received a report from Meteos through the manacomm.

"...That is how the Pal Chimera 2 was damaged."

"In other words, the explosion occurred when you unnecessarily tried to use the Zebil," Mirishial VIII bluntly commented, causing Meteos to prostrate on the spot.

Meteos wasn't lying. He assumed it was an accident because no one noticed Ilx's laser beam attack.

"My utmost apologies!"

"Return home without causing further damage to Unit 2," the Emperor ordered as he disappeared from the camera's view, cutting off the transmission.

"He's a capable man, but not suitable for on-site situations," Mirishial VIII muttered to Hirkane Parpe. "Remove him from the Unit 2's command. However, do not impose further punishment. Consider an effective way to utilize that man."

"As you wish," Hirkane replied, acknowledging the personnel error and breaking into a cold sweat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Capital Defense Force's battleship, Tabit, was stationed off the coast of Ragna to conduct anti-air surveillance.

Battleships under the command of the army were an unusual presence. Even when surveying the entire Gra Valkas military, there was only this one battleship.

The Tabit was a modified Orion-class battleship designed for monitoring aircraft approaching the Imperial Capital Ragna. Out of her four main turrets, two were removed along with secondary turrets, replaced by radar to serve as an early warning ship. If the Air Self-Defense Force had airborne radar sites with the E-767, the Tabit was essentially a floating radar site at sea. She was introduced for the capital city's defense. Therefore, it belonged to the Capital Defense Force of the Army. However, the one actually operating it was the Judgment Force. It was evident that the Army lacked the know-how to operate a battleship, so the Judgment Force was entrusted with the operation. Since the Navy refused to be subcontracted under the Army, the Judgment Force ended up handling it.

On the bridge of the Tabit, Captain Ailman was on duty. Duty, in this case, meant monitoring the performance of subordinates and occasionally praising or reprimanding them. Ailman belonged to the Capital Defense Force as an Army soldier. However, all the subordinates below the first mate belonged to the Judgment Force. The actual captain was his XO Ridley, and the command position had become a sort of honorary title. Within the Capital Defense Force, captaining the Tabit was not as unpopular as the "Time Travel Duty" in the Annonrial Empire, but it was not a coveted position.

Ailman had accepted the role of the Tabit's captain on the condition of a two-year term. Recently, he had entered his second year. After being around for over a year, he had gradually come to understand what his subordinates were up to. The current subordinates seemed to be repeatedly confirming something, and it appeared to be inconvenient. Wrestling with the decision of whether to wait for a report or go ask himself, one of his subordinates went to consult with Ridley. Slightly annoyed by this, Ailman walked over to Ridley.

"What's the matter?"

Ridley was older than Ailman and had risen through the ranks from the field. He was a contrasting figure to the elite Capital Defense Force.

"It's nothing major. Radar malfunction."

Ailman couldn't believe his ears. This ship exists because of its radar. How could that be unimportant?

"What kind of malfunction? Tell me the details."

Ridley answered in a matter-of-fact tone, "The radar picked up something that shouldn't be possible."

Something that shouldn't be possible? Who decides what's impossible?

"What did it pick up? A plane faster than the speed of sound?"

"No. An aircraft with a wingspan of about 250 meters."

That's certainly not conventional. But how can he assert that it's a radar malfunction?

"Why didn't you report this to me? We're here to be prepared for anomalies!"

Ridley had a faint smile and retorted to Ailman, who had raised his voice unusually.

"Can you repair the radar, Captain? I didn't think so."

"That's not what I'm talking about!" Ailman yelled uncharacteristically, surprising the subordinates on the bridge. "Whether to report to the capital or not is my decision. So if there's an anomaly, report it to me."

Ridley smiled faintly again.

"In that case, please confirm it. The aircraft should soon be visible to the naked eye from the ship."

Ignoring Ridley, Ailman asked the soldier who had come to report to Ridley.

"Which direction?"

"Huh?"

"From which direction is the aircraft coming?"

But there was no need to wait for an answer. At the edge of Ailman's field of vision, the aircraft appeared. Ailman rushed to the window to confirm. It was a wheel, about 250 meters in diameter, lying horizontally. Three spokes extended from the ring, supporting the central part. The ring bore the crest of the Holy Mirishial Empire. Ignoring the Tabit, the wheel flew towards the capital.

"Report to the capital. 'A giant flying object with the Mirishial national marking is heading towards the capital.' Include current position, speed, and direction!"

Ordered by Ailman, the communication officer hastily began the transmission. Meanwhile, Ridley was standing by, looking like an idiot with his gaping mouth. Seeing what Ridley looked like, Ailman became convinced. This guy is incompetent. Even in the Judgment Force, the Tabit seemed to be an unpopular workplace. It's not surprising for a captain to be from the Army. And now he had joined the ranks of the incompetent. In the simple task of sitting in a chair, he had performed a major blunder that put the capital at risk.

. . .

Walman was surprised. He had been expecting a heavy interception network over the enemy capital, but not a single aircraft or bullet came his way. Although there's one battleship that they passed by earlier, the crew seemed to be merely observing the Pal Chimera with dumb looks on their faces.

"Well, well."

Walman sighed with admiration as Ragna's cityscape began to come into view. It was a skyline that, while not inferior to Runeopolis, still left an impression of being less pristine. It could be considered splendid for a barbarian city.

"What a waste. To think of burning down a city that was built all the way here."

"It's payback for Cartalpas."

His deputy Estman was enthusiastic. Indeed, Cartalpas had suffered significant damage in the two battles. It might be just right to burn down this city as retaliation.

"Well then, let's get started."

Walman said it casually, but the consequences turned out to be immensely heavy.

. . .

An alarm rang through the Capital Defense Force's airbase. It was the first time an alarm had sounded for something other than training since the transference. Ajash, a pilot on standby duty, rushed into the hangar even before anyone else, boarding the cockpit of the Antares Mk. 2 (reinforced engine variant similar to Zero Model 53), whose engine was being started by maintenance personnel.

The Antares Mk. 2 was an improved version of the Antares, equipped with a reinforced supercharger engine to enhance its speed and maneuverability. The armament also upgraded from 7,7 mm machine guns to 13,2 mm machine guns. However, the range decreased to three-quarters. Moreover, the new supercharger had frequent malfunctions that resulted in a lower operational rate. The Navy had not yet adopted it due to these issues. However, it was experimentally deployed in some elite units of the Army, such as the Capital Defense Force.

The engine started. The three-bladed propeller rotated, and the aircraft advanced along the taxiway. After confirming with the control tower, it taxied to the runway and took off. In emergency scrambles, it was more common to climb into the air first and inquire about the situation later.

"This is the 11th Squadron, status report."

"A flying object from Mirishial is approaching from the south-southeast. Intercept immediately."

"Mirishial? Is an enemy aircraft carrier near the capital?"

"The enemy is not carrier-based aircraft. It's just one gigantic plane."

"Bomber?"

"Details unknown. Confirm on-site."

"Understood."

There were many uncertainties, but there was no choice but to head towards the enemy. Ajash signaled to his wingman, and they set a course for the south-southeast.

. . .

Tension swept in on the relaxed Pal Chimera 1's bridge.

"Radar contact! Five enemy fighters approached from bearing 260. Distance approximately 5 nautical miles, speed 310 knots! That's not the Antares' speed. It's a new enemy!"

"It seems the enemy is not all fools. Some were prepared," Walman remarked.

Estman answered, "Even a slight improvement wouldn't be able to match the Pal Chimera."

"Deploy magical elements. Prepare for Atrates cannon firing."

The Pal Chimera 1 wrapped itself in a veil of light.

. . .

"You've got to be fucking kidding me..."

Ajash couldn't find any other words.

"11th Squadron, status report."

Ajash pressed the radio's button. "The enemy is a ridiculously large wheel. A wheel with a diameter of 250 meters or more is flying horizontally."

"11th Squadron, say again."

"It's a fucking wheel, not an aircraft. The enemy has sent a ridiculously large wheel flying!"

"11th Squadron, are you drunk or something?"

"Why don't you fucking come here yourself!? Where should I attack this shit!? It's bigger than the Judgment Force's Grade Atlastar! Bring the Mk. 3 bomber to get it!"

Since the Capital Defense Force was a purely defense unit, they didn't possess attackers such as the Mark 3, a fighter-bomber version of the Antares (similar to Zero Model 62). They only had the combat fighters Antares and Antares Mk. 2.

"Even-numbered aircraft attack from above, odd-numbered aircraft attack from below."

Thinking on the spot, Ajash gave instructions to his subordinates. He personally led his subordinates to fly low and approach underneath the Pal Chimera.

"This is—"

The transmission from his wingman was cut off midway. Looking up, Ajash saw two of his subordinates shot down by blue-colored anti-aircraft fire.

"Darn it! The upper half of this thing is too packed!"

He turned to look ahead, seeing six triple-barreled turrets hanging under the ring. One of them emitted a blue beam.

"Whoa!"

Ajash hastily banked his aircraft to the left to dodge the beam. However, his wingman flying on his right was shot down by the beam.

"Unbelievable. Can this thing shoot down fighters with its main guns!?"

Ajash and his last subordinate repeated scissor maneuvers while approaching the Pal Chimera. Finally within machine gun range, they opened fire. However, the bullets only created ripples in the veil of light with no effect.

"Bullets are ineffective. I repeat, bullets are ineffective. Request support from nearby units..."

Those were Ajash's final words.

. . .

"All friendly aircraft disappeared from the radar!"

The command center of the Capital Defense Force's airbase was confused.

"A battleship? The enemy has a battleship that can fly!?"

"Equip Antares and Mark 2 with bombs and send them out!"

"Request support from the 1st Division. Deploy Sirius and Antares Mark 3... What about our pride? It's the crisis of the capital!"

"Have coastal batteries and anti-air positions attack as soon as the enemy is in sight!"

Orders flew around the command center. Meanwhile, on the battlefield, shells were about to fly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.8K 3.1K 52
"𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡, 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥, 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐀𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐥𝐞" 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Caitlin Clark fa...
1.3M 56.9K 103
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
364K 13.1K 57
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Ellie Sloan reunites with her older brother when her hospital merges with his jackson avery x ellie sloan (oc) season six ━ season se...
451K 30.7K 46
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...