𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 & 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄. ˡ...

By cxstlebyxrs

━━━⠀❛ 𝑻𝑾𝑶 𝑭𝑼𝑮𝑰𝑻𝑰𝑽𝑬𝑺 𝑶𝑵 𝑨 𝑳𝑰𝑭𝑬𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬 𝑨𝑫𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝑼𝑹𝑬. ❜ 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄�... More

𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 & 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄 !
𝘔𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘈𝘗𝘌
𝘚𝘠𝘕𝘖𝘗𝘚𝘐𝘚
⤷ 𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝐈. ˡⁱᵛⁱⁿᵍ ʷⁱˡᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᶠʳᵉᵉ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
⤷ 𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝐈𝐈. ᵍʳᵉᵃᵗ ᵐⁱʳᵃᶜˡᵉ ᵒᶠ ˢᵉᶜᵒⁿᵈ ᶜʰᵃⁿᶜᵉˢ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝘗𝘖𝘚𝘛 𝘚𝘊𝘙𝘐𝘗𝘛𝘜𝘔

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

96 8 4
By cxstlebyxrs

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

❝ THE TRUTH UNTOLD 

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

            THE INTIMIDATION CONTINUED, but neither of them let up. The already known evidence was brought up and the interrogation continued. Until it was time for another witness. Then Robin stood up and positioned herself at the front of the audience. She projected her melodious voice steadily.

"There are those who say that being a defense attorney means playing an unfair and dirty role. But our role is to show the other side of the story. To show that criminals are human beings with feelings. We can see how people react when they are at their worst, at their lowest. And to find reasons, motivations. That's why I'm calling a witness, not to the crimes committed, but to the life of one of these defendants."

The doors opened and Erica Sinclair walked in.

Countless heads turned to watch the girl as she walked to the witness stand. Lucas couldn't believe what he was seeing. Not even what was happening.

For a moment, he was angry that Robin had gone behind his back. Because she had dragged his sister into the mess. He didn't even want to imagine what Erica would think of him when she got the news that he was a compulsive criminal who was about to rot in jail, when he had promised her that he was no longer involved in that life. She didn't deserve any of this. Another person he dragged down the well.

"Miss Erica Sinclair, could you tell us about your brother Lucas Sinclair? And in light of the allegations that Lucas is facing, would you describe your brother as, and I quote, "a ruthless psychopath"?

"No. I know my brother. He is not the heartless and violent psychopath they say he is. I grew up with him, I played with him, our mother took care of both of us the same way until she died. He was a sweet, gentle, happy boy like any other. He just... changed. He is now a scared, angry, and heartbroken boy. Bad company and trauma have corrupted him. And that doesn't justify anything, I know," she raised her hand defensively, staring at the audience without fear. "But I know he is capable of learning from his mistakes and changing again, just like he did."

"Mr. Carver, would you like to ask Ms. Sinclair any questions?" The judge asked and Jason promptly replied yes, already standing up and addressing Erica.

"Ms. Sinclair, is it true that your father, Charles Sinclair, was in prison driving drunk on public roads and harassing residents?

"Y-yes, it is true." Erica replied with a trembling voice, as she hadn't expected the subject to be brought up, especially after her father's death.

"And after your mother's death and your father's absence, you were left in Lucas' care?"

"Yes. I, an 11-year-old girl, was left in the care of a 15-year-old boy. Since everyone was too worried about arresting my father, a desolate and widowed man who needed help, instead of providing us with a stable home. No one took care of us, no one protected us, no one welcomed us." She projected her voice with authority.

Lucas, head down, swallowed. Mentioning that part of his life was like a trigger.

"Are you aware that Lucas has been arrested before?" Jason inquired and Erica said yes.

"And has he ever hurt you, physically or verbally?"

"No, never!" The girl exclaimed at the whirlwind of words Jason spat in her face. "He always protected me. To the best of his ability, he always made sure that I lacked nothing and that I could grow up safe and well." She lied. Lucas looked at her petrified, feeling the weight of guilt tearing at his heart. He had failed him so much.

"One more question. Do you ultimately believe, based on the evidence discussed here today and based on the existing evidence, that Lucas and Max are bad people for committing such crimes?"

"They are reckless, and perhaps that makes them bad people, but not heartless psychopaths. I believe they are two lost, naive and rebellious teenagers who chose the wrong path. "

"In addition, I would like to say something else," Erica said, now addressing the jury in particular, "regardless of your final decision, I appeal to you to analyze their past and take into account my words spoken here. And perhaps find a way to mitigate the consequences in the lives of these young people by considering the possibility of giving them a second chance to start over and put their lives back together while still building their love story. And to see them for the people that they are."

Lucas barely knew Robin, but despite the involvement of Erica, he mentally thanked her for doing everything possible and impossible and going to the ends of the earth to defend him, just like Steve did to defend Max. He would be forever grateful for the work they did to protect her. 

He would also be eternally grateful to Erica for those words, for all the courage and determination with which she defended him.

The stubbornness was always there. Erica always knew how to defend herself very well, but seeing her dressed so well and saying those eloquent words in such an articulate way made Lucas realize that his little sister had grown up and become a woman. He couldn't stop a single tear from falling from his eye.

She left the witness area and sat at the back of the room.

Max was also in disbelief at what had just happened. But she felt that the beautiful words had not softened the hearts of the merciless jurors.

However, Lucas' lie disgusted her. He wasn't manipulating her. He couldn't pay more for something he hadn't done. That would be unfair.

Besides, Roy's death would come back to haunt her. She now had the opportunity to make things right. She was in a complete dilemma. A great debate was going on in her mind. Do I talk or not?

If she had to pay for her crimes, she would pay for them all. There would be nothing left unsaid, nothing left unresolved. Nothing to attack her, nothing to haunt her. So she could have complete peace.

"Well, if no one has any more questions to ask or anything to add, I should consider today's hearing as over-" The judge's voice echoed, but was suddenly interrupted before slamming the gavel.

"I have something to say!" Max suddenly stood up. She spoke as if she had something stuck in her throat that prevented her from breathing normally. The judge, without showing that she had been taken by surprise, motioned for her to take the stand.

"What do you think you're doing?" Steve whispered through his teeth as he held her wrist. "You want to tell me something? We can go outside and talk-" But when she didn't hold on, she charged forward, ignoring his words.

Max inhaled twice before speaking in two failed attempts.

"I killed my husband." She finally said in a firm tone, facing the small crowd. The flashes of the countless cameras went off frantically and a buzz filled the room. She closed her eyes before continuing. "I killed him by accident. It was an accident." The bitterness of remorse was evident in her voice.

She looked at the judge. Her heart beat in her chest at a terrifying speed.

"I didn't love my husband, but I didn't hate him either. He didn't even love me. In fact, it was my brother who forced me to marry him when I was sixteen because of a debt. I never had a say in the matter. My opinion didn't matter. And Roy was never concerned about me. In the three years we were married, he always presented himself as a violent, careless, cruel man who would beat me simply because I didn't have dinner ready when he got home from work at seven in the afternoon, or because the beers were out and I hadn't gone to buy more."

She spat out the words, not letting go of the disgust she felt.

"Until one day he discovered a letter Lucas had written to me. An innocent letter with no information that revealed that I was involved with him, because I wasn't. We were just friends. And he lost control and without even giving me a chance to explain, he threw a beer bottle at his head." She pointed to the small scar above her eyebrow.

Everyone was watching and listening to Max with full attention, trying to take in all the new information she was explaining almost at high speed. Steve, sitting there, was completely restless and longed to get her out of there.

"He was getting ready to hit me again. And I just defended myself. I picked up a vase and threw it at him to get him off me. But he hit his head." Her heavy breathing was visible. "There was nothing I could do to help him. I know I did wrong. I was afraid and ran away like a criminal. And I ended up becoming one. And that wasn't Lucas' fault."

Now she looked right at him. Lucas' desperation was evident in the aggressiveness with which his diaphragm rose and fell.

"Meeting Lucas was not a mistake. The fact that our paths crossed was the best thing that ever happened to me. I've never met anyone who treated me as well and cared as much as Lucas. In fact, you don't even know him. What irritates me is that his personality doesn't match his actions. Our actions. The mistake was the way we acted. The solutions to our mistakes were the wrong ones. And mistakes make mistakes. 

And yes, I may be a thief, but... but I'm not a murderer. I had to say that because only I knew the truth. And only I had the right to say it. But now there's nothing left to hide."

Lucas knew she had never wanted to live like this, like an irresponsible fugitive. It was his fault. He had indeed corroded her pure heart. This was proof that she had a pure heart, not a cruel one.

And he desperately wished that despite all the mess they had made, they could at least see and understand that Max was not a murderer or a criminal. Those words didn't define her; they didn't fit her.

Abigail thanked Max for her speech and confession, which had been duly recorded, and announced that if no one else had anything to say, she would meet with the jury to reflect on the evidence and everything that had been discussed in court to make their final decision.

Still shaking slightly, Max sat back down.

"What was the part about not giving unnecessary information you didn't understand? Everything was going well, you managed to turn around early." Steve turned to her, a little calmer.

"I had to do it." Max was much calmer, she seemed like a different person. Indeed, the truth shall set you free.

Now she felt peace. A tremendous relief to have confessed. After paying for her crimes, she would be completely free of that burden, forever.

            ABOUT AN HOUR LATER, the jury and Ms. Hemsworth returned with news. The decision had been made. Some people returned to their seats, and journalists and photographers stood ready to hear the final verdict. The couple's hearts burned and thundered like angry drums in their chests.

"First of all, we would like to thank the witnesses for their voluntary participation and the investigative work done to identify the subjects and their confessions, and finally for all their cooperation. We are particularly grateful to Maxine for confessing to the murder of Roy Thornton, and from now on she will be subject to future questioning, investigation and trial." The judge began, positioning her firm and melodious voice. The sound of the cameras and the immortalization of the moment only added to the pressure.

"Therefore, this morning, the State of Texas Court of Criminal Appeals found and declared Lucas Sinclair and Maxine Mayfield guilty of the thirteen crimes of theft committed throughout America during these months, with Sinclair sentenced to seven years in prison and Mayfield sentenced to ten years in prison, also for the self-defense murder of Roy Thornton. They are jointly liable to pay restitution to all victims for all stolen and damaged property...".

Her words turned into distant hums. 

They would not see each other for a decade.

The sounds began to become more distant and imperceptible, like hearing underwater. He felt the ground collapse and open a deep hole beneath his feet, sucking him into the center of the earth. Lucas gripped the table tightly.

After Abigail finished her speech and read the final decision and all the obligations they would be subject to, everyone in the room began to get up and prepare to leave or interview the lawyers, the defendants, and anyone else who suggested it.

Basically, a decade without seeing each other. The last few months felt like an eternity. They felt as if they had known each other forever. Every moment they spent together seemed to last forever. 

Now, a decade without seeing each other would be a nightmare. The scariest thing was not the fact that they would lose their freedom during that time, but rather the freedom they felt when they were together.

They knew this would happen, if they got out it would be a miracle. But the voice of the judge echoing in the room made it all real. It was really going to happen.

He turned to Max, completely broken and distraught. She was petrified, staring at the table in front of her, her big eyes wet with tears, unblinking.

He felt like screaming, punching everyone in the room in the face with all his strength, breaking those windows, those elegant solid wood tables. He had never felt so much anger in his life, to the point where it gave him the strength to destroy everything and everyone.

But he didn't, the guard came up behind him and tried to handcuff him again. They did the same to Max. He didn't take his eyes off her.

The noise that filled the room was just a continuation of what was going on in Lucas' confused and noisy mind.

Meanwhile, Max lifted her head and looked at Lucas. Her frightened and disbelieving eyes cried out for help, screamed sadness, fear, insecurity and longing.

The love they shared couldn't be like this.

The remorse he felt gave way to regret. To real regret. Seeing Max being pushed away by the guards with her arms behind her back made him want to vomit. It was as if he was seeing things in slow motion.

Jason stood in the corner of the room and watched the arrest of the couple without hiding the malicious smile of satisfaction on his face. Lucas glanced at him and wanted to punch him in the face. He clenched his fists when Jason looked at him, still smiling, but walked forward as the guards ordered him to.

"Max! Max..." He called to her, trying to get closer to whisper something in her ear. "Max, when I get out I'll be waiting for you. I will always wait for you. I love you, I love you..." he wished he could held Max's frightened face between his hands, so he just kissed her forehead in a quick goodbye kiss.

The guards pulled them away and led them out in opposite directions. They turned their heads and looked back. They eagerly tried to engrave the vision in their minds and fix the memory forever. One last time.

It would be the last time they would see each other in that illustrious and vast corridor. The last time for a very long time.

Now was too late to regret

the path they chose to follow

that caused the pain of regret that forever lingers.

The gift of savoring life

slipped through their fingers

like grains of fine sand.

They lost the opportunity to be happy

and now their eyes might not meet again.

The same hands that committed hideous burglaries

also held and warmed freezing bodies.

The same mouths that dictated orders of horror,

also uttered the most beautiful poetry in the world.

But no one knew them in this way

as they were submerged in the darkness of sin,

overshadowed by uncured pain

and for the evilness that lives in the human heart

that they allowed to speak louder.

The desire for power

and to dominate the weakest

corrupted their docile hearts,

but now they tasted their own poison

as they had never been this weak before.

But their weak hearts fulfilled with anger and guilt

were strong enough to love

until the last minute.

They used to live intensely like the world was on fire

and now they have to pretend the time will fly faster,

celebrate their birthdays alone

and freeze their story for too long.

Endlessly repeat in their heads

the memories they have already created

and look forward to create new ones in the future.

But what they couldn't see

was that the life already gave them

a second chance.

A second chance they gained

to learn to change

and to have mercy, hope and faith

that someday

they will meet again

to hold and get lost in their arms

wishing to never leave again.

Yet they will still love each other

Even when everyone tears them apart.

© cxstlebyxrs

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 461 40
There has been a time skip and the main party are all at least 17 or 18 years old. They all just finished their last year of high school and decided...
323K 11.3K 61
|| rewritten version on my account ! || " 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗮 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝘀𝘀 , 𝗺𝗮𝘅 . " " 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲 , 𝗷𝗮𝘆 . "...
357K 17.8K 62
𝗚𝗘𝗧𝗔𝗪𝗔𝗬 𝗖𝗔𝗥 „𝗇𝗈, 𝗇𝗈𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝗌𝗍𝖺𝗋𝗍𝗌 𝗂𝗇 𝖺 𝗀𝖾𝗍𝖺𝗐𝖺𝗒 𝖼𝖺𝗋" 𝗜𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵, 𝗐𝗁𝗂𝗅𝗌𝗍 𝗍𝗋𝗒𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗍𝗈 𝗎�...
5.6K 119 27
"we're just two people who need 𝑪𝑳𝑶𝑺𝑼𝑹𝑬, nothing more, nothing less. got it?" it hurt shutting him down, but he needed to stay safe, and this...