Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

By KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... More

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour

249 15 0
By KageNishi

The submarine Ōryū was using passive sonar to investigate the situation in the combat zone.

"Status report."

In response to Captain Nagashima's inquiry, the hydrophone operator looked troubled.

"The impact sounds of shells are intense, and it's quite chaotic. I can only estimate the ratio of ships as 9 to 1. Also, there are 12 torpedoes in the water."

"There are supposed to be six Type 89s from the La Kasami Kai, could it be the Gra Valkan torpedoes?"

"They seem to have used the Type 97 as well. The probability of sinking due to insufficient range is high."

"Is there a chance for the Type 89 to hit?"

"Although La Kasami Kai can't use towed sonar in this situation, the bow sonar should be operational, so there is a possibility of hitting."

"What's the distance to the combat zone?"

"Assuming no thermocline in this area, it's around 18 nautical miles."

"It's not clear if we can make it there in time," Deputy Izumi commented. "We need to hold out for another 30 minutes at least, and it will be tough even if we push for 20 minutes."

The Nagashima's expression turned stern.

"Do we increase speed and ignore fuel consumption?"

In response to Izumi's question, the captain nodded.

"The worst that can happen is that we'll have to wait on the seabed until the Towada or the tender arrives, but we can't abandon our allies."

The submarine Ōryū accelerated from cruising speed. Unlike other Sōryū-class submarines, Ōryū was equipped with lithium-ion batteries, allowing for flexible acceleration and deceleration.

. . .

The La Kasami Kai continued desperate evasive maneuvers. Since they couldn't hit, they had stopped firing. Watching the situation from the bridge of the Meissa, Maynard ordered Othniel.

"I'm tired of watching this shitty dance. Move Meissa forward at full speed. If the Meissa's shooting accuracy improves, we might be able to sink that weird ship."

"Full speed ahead."

Othniel followed the commander's orders and conveyed the command to the subordinates. The Meissa once again accelerated to 30 knots, closing the distance with the La Kasami Kai.

. . .

Not only the Meissa, but the accuracy of the Ishtam Fleet's gunfire had improved. Naturally, accuracy would increase with repeated shots and continuous adjustments to the aim.

Finally, the radar operator screamed, "We can't avoid this!"

"It doesn't matter if the destroyer's guns hit us. Just avoid the battleship!" Minilar shouted back.

A 127 mm shell from the Scorpius-class destroyer hit the port side deck of the La Kasami Kai. Equipment was destroyed and fragments scattered, but the deck held on, and the shell didn't penetrate.

"Damage report!" Minilar barked.

"Short torpedo launch tube damaged. No fire occurred."

The crew on the bridge breathed a sigh of relief. If the short torpedoes had been intact, the damage might have been more extensive. However, the short torpedoes were still running underwater.

. . .

On the bridge of the Scorpius-class destroyer Dschubba, cheers erupted.

"We finally got those bastards," the ship's XO spoke excitedly to the captain.

"Nice. Bullying the weak is always so cathartic. We're going to stomp them with torpedoes at 5.000 meters. Go!"

Ishtam being Ishtam.

. . .

The La Kasami Kai took three more hits, but they weren't fatal. When the forward CIWS was hit, there was a tense moment fearing an explosion, but the deck held once again. The armored bridge saved the command personnel from any casualties. However, the rear smokestack also took hits, and the gas turbine exhaust drifted towards the rear deck. Many deck crew members had gathered in the front due to the previous hit on the forward CIWS, so there were quite a few injuries among the deck crew. Still, the La Kasami Kai remained operational (despite issues with FCS3 Kai). Both turrets and engines were functional, and there was no flooding.

"The enemy destroyer will soon be within the range of guided missiles," the surface radar operator reported with a mixed voice of sorrow and joy.

"Captain, let's leave the timing of the launch to FCS3 Kai. Since the missiles can guide themselves, they won't be affected by FCS3 Kai after launch."

Although the gunnery officer seemed somewhat dissatisfied, Captain Minilar accepted Myrus' advice.

"Launch the guided missiles automatically."

"Launching the guided missiles automatically."

The gunnery officer obediently followed the orders.

. . .

"Attack, ATTAAAAAAAACK!"

Slightly high, the captain of Dschubba roared. In front of his eyes, flames erupted from the La Kasami Kai.

"We did it!?"

The captain's expectation was betrayed. It was the fiery exhaust of the guided missile. The guided missiles crossed the distance of 8.000 meters in a matter of seconds. The Dschubba was hit by multiple of them. The upper structures, including the bridge, were blown away without a trace, rendering the ship completely combat ineffective.

. . .

"Destroyers Dschubba and Wezen are severely damaged and are out of action!"

Upon hearing that report, the captain of the Scorpius-class destroyer Shaula issued a new order.

"Launch torpedoes! We will withdraw from the range of those homing projectiles."

After firing torpedoes radially, the Shaula reversed course and moved away from the La Kasami Kai.

In front of the reversing Shaula was the allied Taurus-class cruiser Maia. A pillar of water rose along the latter's flank. Subsequently, the Maia's hull rapidly tilted, sinking to the seabed.

. . .

"Heavy cruisers Amateru, Maia, and Atlas sunk!"

Chaos erupted on the Meissa's bridge.

"What... what just happened?"

Othniel answered Maynard's question.

"It's probably not the torpedoes from earlier."

"What the fuck is this bullshit?" Maynard exclaimed, but then he had an idea.

"The Shaula fired torpedoes, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Drive that fucking ship into the torpedo's path! Bastards seem to be anticipating the impact points of the shells. Otherwise, it shouldn't have withstood it until now."

If not for his personality issues, Maynard might have achieved some level of success in the mainstream of the Gra Valkas navy.

. . .

Myrus continued the countdown.

'Using short torpedoes might have been too much.'

Even after the predicted impact time had passed, the two light cruisers were still operational. In fact, they had not only fired shells but torpedoes as well. It seemed their intention was not so much to hit as it was to restrain their maneuvering. Fortunately, the tremor on the La Kasami Kai's bridge had considerably subsided. This was thanks to the significant reduction in the number of enemy ships, now below half. Nevertheless, there could be no room for complacency. The Meissa was exposing its flank to the La Kasami Kai, utilizing all its turrets for gunfire. If even one of those main gun shells hit, the La Kasami Kai could sink.

The restored FCS3 Kai controlled the first turret, aiming at the last destroyer, Shaula.

"Fire the main guns," Minilar ordered.

"Firing."

The gunnery officer recited, and the first turret roared. The FCS3 Kai, having accumulated shooting data, demonstrated precision with the initial shot. After delivering four consecutive shots, the Shaula sank to the seabed. However—

An impact shook the hull of the La Kasami Kai, and a water column rose at the stern.

"What's happening?" Minilar barked.

"We've been hit by a torpedo at the stern. Both propellers are damaged. The ship is unable to navigate."

Despair struck for the second time, adding to the previous incident with the La Kasami.

. . .

"Now, now, getting tired already?"

"It seems they've been hit by a torpedo and are unable to navigate."

Maynard cackled.

"I'll give them credit for giving us this much trouble. Let's give those cocksuckers a spectacular death. All turrets, aim at the enemy. Simultaneous fire!"

. . .

The movement of the Meissa's turrets could be observed even from the bridge of the La Kasami Kai.

"Everyone, I apologize. In the end, we couldn't save Otaheit, and we let everyone die like dogs."

Addressing Minilar, who was completely in a mournful state, Myrus spoke. "No, this ship may not be saved, but we managed to rescue Otaheit."

Everyone on the bridge turned their questioning gazes toward Myrus.

"What do you mean?"

"You'll understand now."

As Myrus said that, three water columns rose from the hull of the Meissa.

In response to the stunned onlookers, Myrus explained, "Did you forget about firing the Type 89 torpedoes?"

While everyone watched, the Meissa tilted, capsized, and sank, revealing its underside to the onlookers.

"Now, there are only two light cruisers left. We may not save this ship, but we might be able to make a difference. Although, I doubt the enemy still wanted to attack Otaheit."

Vitality returned to Minilar's eyes.

"Main guns, fire at the enemy cruisers."

Immediately after Minilar gave that order, the sonar operator yelled in a distressed tone.

"Sonar contact! Two torpedoes heading towards this ship!!"

"From which cruiser?"

"I-it's not from either of them. It's from behind us!"

Traveling at 55 knots, the two Type 89 torpedoes, after passing under the La Kasami Kai, split into two and each hit a Gra Valkan cruiser. Both ships exploded due to ammunition detonation, flaming as they sank to the seafloor. This time, including Myrus, everyone on the bridge was stunned.

"Who fired those?"

Muttering to himself, Minilar, the sonar operator answered, "T-that's a submarine, sir. There's a submarine behind this ship. The sound of the torpedoes just now was from Type 89 torpedoes, from Japan! It's a Japanese submarine!!"

. . .

"Main ballast, blow. Ascend to periscope depth."

Upon the order from the captain, a reply echoed back.

"Main ballast, blow. Ascending to periscope depth."

The faint sound of the main ballast purging water could be heard.

"Why not surface and show our face?" Izumi asked.

"Radio is enough. Most of our mission involves hiding."

. . .

Now the communications officer reported, "Incoming transmission. The sender is likely the submarine."

"Patch it through," Minilar ordered.

"La Kasami, respond."

"This is La Kasami. Identify yourself and your vessel."

"This is the submarine Ōryū of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. We salute you for your valiant efforts. We've already contacted Otaheit Naval Base. A rescue ship should arrive shortly. Over."

"We appreciate your support. Godspeed."

"The submarine is submerging," the sonar operator reported. "It has turned and appears to be leaving this area... Can no longer detect it."

Minilar sighed with admiration. "Got saved by the Japanese. Again."

"It's good that Japan is an ally," Rohat responded.

Minilar noticed that Myrus was not on the bridge.

"Where did the engineer go?"

No one knew.

Myrus had rushed into the toilet. Once relieved, he struggled against the surging nausea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the Holy Mirishial Empire, preparations for Operation Super Hammer II were underway.

At the secret base called Area 48, the launch preparations for the five Pal Chimera ships were progressing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 56.9K 103
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
450K 30.6K 46
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
201K 7K 97
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
140K 5.8K 102
a sister who's actions are untamed, and a brother who's feelings are untamed. With complete different personalities, yet an awesome bond, the sibling...