Forever in Your Deadly Heart

By SheHopes

[COMPLETED] When a handsome hotelier is accused of murder, he has no choice but to rehire the woman he fired... More

Chapter 1: X Marks the Murder
Chapter 2: Peanut Butter Almost Murder
Chapter 3: Moving Forward
Chapter 4: Secret Office Romance
Chapter 5: Horse Face
Chapter 6: He's My Boyfriend
Chapter 7: Tino's Tamales
Chapter 8: An Unlikely Hero
Chapter 9: Hula Girl Abduction
Chapter 10: Two Proposals Too Many
Chapter 11: Real Talk
Chapter 12: Job Offer
Chapter 13: Gym Time
Chapter 14: Alibi
Chapter 15: Twinkle, Twinkle
Chapter 16: Jessica
Chapter 17: Candy Coated Lies
Chapter 18: Blind Date
Chapter 19: Bodyguard Duty
Chapter 20: A Secret Revealed
Chapter 21: Midnight Healing
Chapter 22: Night Interrupted
Chapter 23: The Great Tate
Chapter 24: Chrissy
Chapter 25: Meeting the Father
Chapter 26: Jealousy
Chapter 27: Meet ups and Murder
Chapter 29: Your Lips Are Mine
Chapter 30: Video Voyeur
Chapter 31: Awkward
Chapter 32: The Final Chapter

Chapter 28: Jessica's Revenge

327 57 3
By SheHopes

"What happened?" Knox asked as Nessa sat down on the wooden bench behind her. The police officer talking to her stepped back as Knox took in the gash on her cheek and busted lip. Her shirt was torn and it looked as though she had been crying.

"It happened so fast. I borrowed Candi's car to drive over to see my parents and on the way over, someone jumped out of the back seat and attacked me," Nessa explained.

"The car was wrecked," the police officer mentioned. "Unfortunately, we didn't catch the assailant."

"Are you okay?" Knox asked, his face pale. "Why aren't you at the hospital?"

"I don't need to go to the hospital," Nessa insisted. "I just want to go home."

"Well, someone attacked you there so that's not an option either," Knox said. He sat down next to her and sighed. "We'll go back to the hotel."

"Are you her boyfriend?" the officer asked.

Knox gave a slight nod before asking Nessa, "Did you see what he looked like?"

"No. It happened so fast. I just remember he had cold hands. I think he was wearing some kind of mask."

"Why do you say that?" Knox asked.

"She said he didn't have a face," the officer said. "She said her assailant didn't have hair or any facial features."

"I could feel the material over his face. He wore a mask."

Knox cursed under his breath, " you said he. How do you know it was a man?"

"I don't. Whoever attacked me was strong. Really strong. Candi's car is totaled. She's going to kill me." Nessa leaned forward with her hands over her face.

"I doubt that," Knox said softly.

"I want to go home," Nessa whispered. "I hate police stations."

"Why? Have you ever been arrested?" Knox asked.

Nessa's eyes widened. "Why would you even ask that?"

"We've got all the information we need so you're free to go," the officer said before turning to Knox, "Please make sure she sees a doctor."

"Nessa!" The strained voice of Edward Cruz, Nessa's father, came through the swarm of people in the station. "Nessa?"

Nessa groaned and Knox placed an arm around her shoulder.

"Is that your father?" the officer asked.

"Yes, and he's going to be pissed," Nessa said.

"What the hell is going on here? I was told they haven't caught the culprit." Edward was dressed in a dark pinstripe suit. He looked as though he had just stepped out of a GQ magazine for the over fifty group. "Your mother is beside herself with worry. Why aren't you at the hospital?"

"Because I'm fine," Nessa answered.

"Have you seen yourself?" Edward asked. "You're definitely not fine." He turned to Knox. "I should've known you had something to do with this."

"I can't believe you!" Nessa stood up. "Knox hasn't done anything. Some random weirdo attacked me. Maybe because he thought I was rich. That would be your fault by the way because I'm not rich, you are. I'm fine. I'm perfectly fine. I mean...I feel a little woozy, but who wouldn't? And I'm stressed because now I owe Candi a new car and I have no way to pay for that. Am I going to have to get a second job as a dinosaur again?"

"I'll buy her a damned car." Edward pulled Nessa into a hug. "Why are you worrying about foolish things?"

"Because because I'm scared," Nessa admitted. "My ghosties told me to be careful but I didn't listen to them and now—"

"Enough with the ghosts," Edward said, his frustration clear in his tone.

Nessa stepped back. "It's true."

Edward stole a glance at the police officer. "Now, isn't the time."

Nessa made a scoffing sound. "Even after what just happened, you're going to make me pretend they're not real?"

"It's not that. It's just—"

"Forget it. I just wish you wouldn't make me feel ashamed of who I am."

"Nessa—"

"Forget it. It doesn't matter anyway. I'm fine and Knox and I are leaving. Thank you for coming. Please tell mom I'm okay."

"Are you sure you want to leave?" Knox asked.

"I'm positive." Nessa continued walking past an angry Edward who was muttering something about stubborn women under his breath.

"Nessa, you should really talk it out with him," Knox suggested once they were back at his hotel suite.

"Why? So he can try and tell me how to live my life?"

"No, because he's your dad and he's worried. I heard you tell him you were scared."

Nessa shrugged. "So?"

"Maybe we should look into getting you a bodyguard. A real bodyguard."

"Why? I'm just your secretary."

Knox frowned. "I thought we were going to start dating."

Nessa was sitting on the bed and turned away. "I don't know if that's a good idea. I have very high standards and you may not be able to live up to them."

A chuckle escaped Knox's lips before he responded, "Fair enough. Let's hear them."

"I expect presents on the regular."

"On the regular?" Knox's brow rose. "What exactly does that mean?"

"On a regular basis."

"Fair enough. What kind of presents?"

Nessa grinned. "Anything. Surprise me."

"No, you have to be specific. If I got you a bag of chocolate covered crickets, you may not like that."

"No, I'd probably hate that." Nessa laughed. "Fine, I like candy, flowers, jewelry...you know, the normal stuff."

"Done. Is that it?"

Nessa shook her head. "No, I don't want you to force me into being someone I'm not. I won't always be dressed like some kind of supermodel. I won't always fix my hair. I may not even brush it every day. Whatever fantasy you have of me being some kind of fancy woman who can be your trophy girlfriend should be stopped."

"I've seen you dressed in a dinosaur costume. I've never once considered you a trophy girlfriend," Knox said wryly.

Nessa pursed her lips and her eyes narrowed. "I'll pretend you just didn't insult me. Which leads to my next condition. You can't be mean to me. That means you can't insult me and you have to stand up for me anytime someone else does too."

"Done. Any other conditions?"

"You can't chew food with your mouth open. It's a deal breaker for me."

Knox hid his grin. "Only savages eat with their mouths open. What else?"

"I refuse to play second fiddle to anyone...even your first love. You need to put Jessica behind you. Do you think you can do that?"

Knox stared at her and lifted a finger to her busted lip. "I'd kiss you right now but I bet it'd hurt."

"Love is pain," Nessa whispered.

"Not always."

"In my experience it is."

Knox kissed her forehead. "Hopefully, I'll be able to show you otherwise."

The sound of his phone going off interrupted them. Knox answered, "Jason, this better be important."

"It is. I just met with Chrissy."

"And?"

"She's unconscious and bleeding.. The police and ambulance are here. She had an X carved in her chest. I think whoever did this thought she was dead and took off."

Knox stole a peek at Nessa who was watching him with curious eyes.

"There's more," Jason said.

"What?"

"Before the ambulance got here, she kept whispering something to me."

"Just spit it out, Jason! What was she whispering?"

"Jessica," Jason answered. "She kept whispering, 'Jessica.'"

"That's not strange," Knox acknowledged. "She was there because of Jessica."

"No, you don't understand. Before she said Jessica's name, I asked her a question," Jason explained.

Already irritated with the day's events, Knox demanded to know, "What did you ask her?"

"I saw her on the ground and asked," Jason explained. "I asked, 'Who did this to you?'"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 321 26
Warning-Rated Mature 18+ There is no such thing as a perfect marriage, every marriage has its ups and downs. Aubrey and Cruz Garcia will soon learn t...
659 26 8
Evil never wins, when there's a "genius" cop on the case! A golden-haired movie producer's wife has been killed in Los Angeles, California and Lieute...
479 86 20
Twenty-one-year-old Lana moves from small town Odessa to the heart of San Antonio for a job at an elite hair salon, but she's running out of time fin...
52.6K 3.3K 86
๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐Ž๐ง๐ž | ๐Œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐๐ž๐ซ ๐…๐จ๐ซ ๐‡๐ข๐ซ๐ž ๐’๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ It's all fun and games until someone suggests killing each other's spouses for revenge. M...