The Last Page - A Depressed D...

By LemonAiden

"If there was one thing I could tell my past self, it would be: To Hold On." - This statement plagued Izuku's... More

Prologue
Painful Lesson #1

The First Page

38 4 0
By LemonAiden

I don't remember much about my Father, as he died when I was barely two years old. But, from what I do remember, he would always wear an angry expression on his face accompanied by an empty bottle in hand. Knowing me, I probably always used to wonder: "Why is Dad mad?" Only now can I look back on things and realize: He was mad at me. More specifically, he was angry that I was born quirkless.

I try not to think about it, but sometimes I wonder: did I strain my Mom's and Father's relationship? My Mom, bless her heart, will swear up and down that I didn't have any negative impact but...I don't know. There's a certain sadness and misery in her eyes when she speaks about my father or the time after my birth, before his passing.

Of course, it's always possible that she just looks like that because she gets reminded of his passing, but I don't think it's that. I think it's more. The way she looks, it's almost like she's searching for something lost. Like, she wants to say something, but the words are never there. Like she wants to apologize, but doesn't want to remind me of something terrible.

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe I'm just overanalyzing things again. Heh, I've always had a 'creative' and 'out-going' mind. I do hope I'm wrong about my Mom; I desperately want to be. To be honest, I don't know what I'd do if I found out I strained their relationship. It haunts me sometimes. Jeez, look at this mess. I guess you know why I try to avoid thinking about this stuff.

Anyway, I should get going. I'm pretty sure Uraraka and Iida really want to hang out. They're my friends now, by the way. Sorry for not mentioning that sooner. It's crazy to think that someone like me can even say that now. Man, U.A. sure is weird.

- Izuku Midoriya | Page One: Complete

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For years now, I thought I understood the unfair hierarchy which dominated schools. However, being at U.A. has quickly shown me just how wrong I was. Of course, there were certain groups that were more popular than others, and yes, there might have been instances of minor bullying, but that was something present in every place.

What wasn't normal - and what I can't quite wrap my head around - is Kacchan not being on top. Granted, he still acts that way, and isn't afraid to tell people to, 'Go Die!' but for the most part, people just laugh or shrug his comments off and continue on with their day-to-days lives. For me however, I can't quite do that.

You see, Kacchan loves control; he always has. So for him to not be able to control everyone like they're his pawns definitely ticks him off. Which, inevitably, ends up finding its way back to me.

"H-Hey Kacchan!" Izuku said. His voice was high-pitched and reluctant. He closed his eyes, wore a forced smile on his face, and rubbed the back of his head. 

Bakugo scoffed. His eyes were narrow, and his face was tense. He was - quite visibly - pissed. "Oh, shut up!" he yelled.

Izuku jumped in his skin. His eyes were open, and his arms were brought to his chest. He let out a fake laugh. "S-Sorry," he murmured.

Katsuki spun around and faced Izuku. U.A. laid in front of him, and the orange tint of the sky splattered against the windows. "Tsk, you're pathetic, Deku," he growled.

Deku. Izuku shivered and lowered his gaze towards the ground. He hated that nickname ever since he was a kid. It was a constant reminder to himself about how pathetic he used to be. But now, the name took on a different meaning. It was now the name of a Hero, or in the very least a Hero-In-Training.

Izuku opened his mouth, his lips shaking. But before a single word could exit his mouth, something echoed in his mind. 'He's worthless, Inko, how can't you see that?!'

Izuku let out a pained breath and his shaky eyes darted to the ground. Wrinkles had formed over his pale forehead. What was that? Who was that? Why...did his voice sound so familiar?

"Oh, Deku!" Bakugo shouted, reaching out and grabbing the boy in front of him by his shirt's collar. "Don't You Dare Ignore Me!"

Izuku was confused. What was Kacchan talking about? He only stopped paying attention for a moment to think about what he had heard. His breath stuttered. How long was he thinking to himself?

Bakugo let go of the white fabric but made sure to give Deku a quick but harsh shove. "Tsk, if you think showing your Quirk changes anything," he said as he spun around. "Then you're dead wrong," he growled as he began walking towards U.A.'s gate. 

Izuku was left alone, not quite sure what he did that made Kacchan so mad. But that wasn't the only thing racing his mind. That voice...it was so familiar, and he said Mom's name. Izuku shook his head, and took a deep breath hoping to calm his nerves. Hopefully whatever it was wasn't anything important. Hopefully. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izuku, absent-mindedly, walked through the apartment door. "I'm home!" he yelled. Izuku then made his way down a hallway until he was in the living room, where he heard his Mom making something in the kitchen.

"Welcome back!" Inko cheerfully yelled out. "So, how was the end of your first week?" 

Izuku heard a faucet turned and the sound of running water came to a stop. "It was good," he said. He wasn't lying either. It had been a good week, up until his run-in with Kacchan. 

Inko emerged from the kitchen, a frown present on her face. "Are you sure?" she asked. "Nothing happened?"

Mother's intuition. Great. Izuku turned to hide his eyes, pretending to watch something on the TV. "Nope, nothing important," he said. Izuku could feel his Mother's eyes watching him like a hawk. She knew something was up; it was only a matter of time until she pieced it together-

"Is it Katsuki?" she asked with a deepened frown.

Crap! Izuku knew it was only a matter of time, but he didn't expect it to happen this soon. "What?" he closed his eyes and forced a smile. "No, of course not. Kacchan and I are...good." His voice was higher in pitch and his head slightly tilted down towards the ground.

Inko cast a scrutinizing look at her son. She could feel her throat tighten with a knot forming in the pit of her stomach. After a long drawn out moment, she finally said, "Alright, if you say so."

Izuku felt his face lighten up. "I'ma go drop my bag off in my room," he said pointing to his door back down the hallway. "Be back in a bit." Izuku strolled through the hallway with caution, his heart pounding in his chest. As he gingerly turned the doorknob of his room, his gaze darted down the hallway, a flicker of anxiety in his eyes, ensuring that his Mom wasn't following him. After deeming that she wasn't, he walked into his room and closed the door behind him. 

Izuku let out the biggest sigh he could as he tossed his bag onto his bed. He didn't enjoy lying to his Mom, but there were a few things he refused to bring up in her presence - his real relationship with Kacchan being one of them. Izuku walked over towards his desk and rested his hand on the wooden material. His eyes jumped to both his Hero Analysis books and his other, more personal, journal.

"Might as well get it over with," Izuku told himself as he pulled his out and took a seat. He then spent the next hour coming up with the best way to describe and write about his day. A bright smile emerged on Izuku's face. Within this journal, he had the freedom to express himself. He could write whatever without fear of judgement. It was bliss.

Very few people knew the real reason behind the journal. That was a secret Izuku kept very close to his heart. He was scared of how people would react and treat him if they knew the truth behind it all.

"Day 5: Done," Izuku said as he leaned back and stared towards the paper with a smile. That smile quickly faded as he darted his eyes towards the ceiling. "With the USJ incident over-with and the Sport's Festival in a few weeks, I doubt anyone really cares anyway," he told himself before taking a breath and rising from his seat. "Yeah, everyone's probably too busy with their lives right now," he let out a small laugh. "I shouldn't be selfish."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"With my journey at U.A. well underway, and the Sports Festival on the horizon, I can't wait to spend more time with everyone and get to know them all better! I just hope that that goes both ways."

-To Be Continued-

AN: Hey guys, The Lemon Here. Just wanna quickly say: Thank you all for reading this story; it really means a lot. If you have any ideas/suggestions on where you want to see the story go, feel free to leave a comment and let me know. I already have a sense of where the story is headed and how it will conclude, but I'm eager to weave some of your ideas into the narrative before reaching the end. With all that out of the way, I hope you all have an amazing day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90K 2.3K 33
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
289K 8.2K 137
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."
970K 23K 39
In the wake of her mother's passing, six-year-old Luella finds unexpected solace in the company of her long-lost brothers, absent from her life for y...