Hange Zoe Backstory

By Frankiejaw

In the attack on Titan universe 14th commander Hange Zoe is never given a direct backstory, this is my realis... More

Intro
94th cadet training crops
Erwin Smith 
First Expedition Outside The Walls
First Expedition Outside The Walls P2
Section Commander

Hanji Zoe: A mear scout

10 0 0
By Frankiejaw

When the scouts came back inside the walls they were met with many angry family's and serious questions . What was the point if they didn't even finishing their formation? Not to mention all of the good scout and new recruits that were lost the commander was faced with a difficult situation. The scouts made the executive decision to postpone their next expedition. But this was far from despairing at the time. It allowed many of the surviving soldiers to reflect and grow closer with one another. Mike and Nanaba had met to talk with Erwin and the same spark that Hange had happened with them. Mike was far from a social person but there was always a good chance that he would be at Erwins right side. Same for Nanaba, the two had been fitting in with scout regiment perfectly because the were already regarded as more them reliable soldiers. Rico was the most hurt by the lost of her comrades so she wasn't apart of any group and continued to stay stand off ish.

After a couple months the scouts were moments from going back outside beyond their world again. What made Hange want to go back? Well she made a promise she had to keep. She also had immense trust  with her comrades. She wasn't willing to stay behind the walls scared. She was going to face the enemy, even if it would be the end of her. That's the only way living in this world made sense to her. She knows that's what her friends would have wanted her do. That's what they did.

The gate was lifting, Erwin on Hange's left and his squad further down. This time would be different, you couldn't see Hange's eyes in her glasses. Light reflected and all that could be seen was hatred and determination.

When the wall came up just like before Hange zoomed pasted a lot of people.
"Hange slow down"! Erwin yelled.
No response. Hange was already next to the commander. Shadis had somehow got a good amount of young soldiers following him since the last expedition.

"SCOUTS WE WILL CONTINUE-"
He got distracted because Hange had completed broken away form the scouts and was going off in right at a fast pace on her horse.
"HANGE"! Mike yelled at her.
"What an idiot forget her no one should risk their life trying to save her". Rico said out loud.
Hange continued moving forward till she came across a titan without any hesitation she hooked on a tree spined around and cut the nape.
Another Titan was close by so she ran towards the monster. It had moved its Hands towards her quickly and just barely she hooked to a tree. It kept moving its arms so she had to be careful. She went for the nape. When she looked back it was still pursuing her. She had sliced the titans neck but not deep enough. She went for it again. Hange was struggling because it keep moving and she had to keep using gas.
"Would you hold still"? She said Frustrated.
She managed to kill it after another swipe. But when she went back on the ground she tripped on a large rock and fell hard. The heavy ODM gear she had one made it hurt even more.
She laid there for a second and was getting ready to get up but in front of her, Erwin alone was riding his horse fast towards her. He hopped off.

"HANGE....He looked around, what was the point of this?"
"Erwin"....
They both looked at each other.
Hange was still on the ground breathing heavily trying to catch her breath. She finally managed to say something.
" The scouts goal is to eliminate all threats outside the walls. If a soldier can even eliminate one monster then they will be doing humanity a favor. My life is expendable if I manage to die fighting for our freedom then it's a necessary sacrifice if we want our dream to- "

" HANGE". He then looked at the ground.
  "Your not wrong. In fact you may be right in most cases.... It's just that....what good would you do for us if you get killed taking down one or two titans.
  "Well.... It's just that-"

  "For the good of humanity, get on your horse if you still consider yourself a scout."
He got on his horse and road away.

Skipping many expedition later, Hange continued to go on missions with the scouts outside the walls. Hange wasn't the very best out of everyone but regardless she always managed to come back alive. Her comrades acknowledged her for her fearless efforts when trying kill titans. But she was also extremely reckless. Some of the people around her were honestly.... Scared of her. Hange didn't care what the situation was if a titan was in the way she was already using ODM gear. Many scout avoided being alone with her because she was so unpredictable and.... Passionate (Rants and rambling). Also being strangely excited about killing these monsters. That curious girl who was all about titans and what the outside world looked like was pushed further down every time a friend or comrade was eaten right in front of her.

Hange Zoe was inside one of the scout's buildings walking when she stop because of an old face.

" Moblit?"
"Hange..."
He was smiling awkwardly with one hand rubbing the back of his head.
"What are you doing here?"
" I joined."
"Auh. Why what happen with-"
"I heard what happened with Corrine, Henry and Felix".
"Oh...."
"After a few months I couldn't bare the fact that I was only one who didn't go with y'all. Regardless of what happen, they achieved their dreams even if it was against the rules. It's so motivating.... I want....to honor them.
  "That great".
  "See you around". He's walking away.
  "Hey! Seat with me at lunchtime!"
  " of course!"
  "And try not to get eaten!"
He took a look at her while continuing to walk away.

Skipping to a random expedition Hange was riding into the forest close by Erwin when she noticed how different the formations looked. She asked him,
  " Hey did you convince commander Shadis to change our lay out?"
  " Yeah.... It never made sense for us to be group so close, even before your hypothesis. Now that we're further apart in a diamond shape we can properly set up a defense and offense... well I would have to convince him on the last part.
" Your so brilliant Erwin ".
" Regardless, the scouts research and experiments on the titans have been non-existent in the last few years. I want to ask him to resume that also, but I don't think I'm the best for that task.
They rode in silence....

Later on Hange saw a titan up ahead of her. Before she could engage Mike already killed the Titan and it fell to the ground hard.
Hange thought to herself.
What would the scouts be without Mike.... He seriously needs to be studied.
Instead of ignoring and finding the next one Hange wanted to take a good look. She used ODM gear to get close a stared at it. She looked at the head and felt on the hair.
"Feels Human...."
She continued thinking, then from behind a titans tried grabbing her. Without a reaction she hooked herself but to a tree.
"What are you doing titans are everywhere! How have you survived this long?" Said Rico.
She continued looking at the Titan.
"Yeah that was a close call." She began giggling to herself.

Later after that Hange over heard Gelgar and Moblit talking.

" I heard that Erwin and his squad plus Mike headed off to the underground for some mission".
"What could possibly be down there?" Moblit asked.
"Don't know, but clearly not titans". Gelgar said jokingly.
"It's whatever but It would be nice if he asked me to come along. Never seen what the place actually looks like". Said by Moblit.
" Don't worry based on what everyone says it's no different than a big pile of shit. Everyone forced to live there are all scared savage scums."
" Hopeful it's something useful There are rumors that funds for our missions keep getting smaller."

Shortly after, they all returned from there mission without giving anyone a direct explanation. Hange begged Mike and Erwin to give her a hint but they told her that everyone would have to wait and see.

Hange went to training like any other time with moblit close by but his one would start off different. 
  "FROM TODAY, THESE  THREE WILL BE FIGHTING ALONGSIDE  YOU ALL"!
  "INTRODUCE YOURSELlVES!
The one in the middle spoke.
"Names Levi."
Hange was confused and shocked. The Scouts would never randomly get new recruits. Not to mention they weren't from the Cadet Crop because if that was true the would till be training. And the timing she thought to herself.... These people show up right after Erwin and Mike come back from the underground, Is this what he was referring too. But if that's true what would they even do for the scouts.

Right next to her Moblit looked just as confused.

People everywhere were practicing using ODM gear and the swords.

Everybody around them had their own opinions. Levi, Isabel and Furlan were apparently big time thugs that finally caught the attention of MPs. Still wasn't clear why they were here and not in jail. Hange and Moblit were mildly aware of this information. But that didn't matter much to Hange.

Hange notice that the levi guy was far off getting a lecture from the of the experts. Hange couldn't keep her eyes off him.

Hange, the scout in charge and later Moblit stood watching closely .

"Don't you think it's a little rude I mean I doubt he's ever used- "

She clearly wasn't listening.

" Hey! We should be-"

Once Levi was in the air Moblit stopped talking.

Levi flawlessly went up in the air not like any soldier she had ever seen before. Hange was watching very closely and noticed he was holding the blade differently. Was that his technique? She continued thinking.

Once he came across a titan dummy without much thought, sliced the nape as deep as possible and went and did the same for the others. He was quick and perfect.

Moblit and Hange were enthralled.

"A prodigy from the underground.... Do you know how wonderful that sounds?"

Moblit was still looking at Levi until he caught a glimpse of Hange blushing.

"Things are really going to get interesting. Those bastards won't know what is going to hit them!"

" It's.... Been I while since I've seen you looking this joyful."
"Why wouldn't I be Moblit !? With Mike and Levi we can slaughter those monsters efficiently. Actually Levi seems so much quicker. He might be stronger..."

" That's cool and all but we should be-"
" I will see you later"
" WHAT! DONT TRY TO TALK TO THEM THEY ARE CRIMINALS!"

Some time after Levi's first Expedition

"Hey Levi!"
He was sitting on a bench away from most people with a gray tin cup. Hange had her hands on her nees trying to be friendly.
" You again".
" Yep looks like it's meant to be, Hey were are Isabel and-
His face immediately froze and Hange knew.

Trying to change the situation she had put him in, she started walking away while talking to him.

"You should sit with Mike, Nanaba, Moblit and I at lunch. Were like a whole table. And then you can tell me why you hold your cup like that."
She felt his gaze on her back.

When it was time for the scouts to eat, Hange and Nanaba found Levi sitting at a large table with a tea pot and tea cups with Mike and Erwin. it made her really happy to see the strongest men all getting along.

They sat with them and it felt so nice within Hange's soul. Her friends would be more then happy to see her and what she was doing for the cause. But then she realized something. Were was Moblit? Honestly he would really only be seen talking to her or Erwin. He always had his own things to do if she wasn't around. He was probably doing a favor for someone with something when he should eating.

"That thoughtful bastard, always helping somebody".
Hange said out loud to herself.

Levi was a godly soldier that she had never seen before, causing her to get really excited but that didn't change her mindset about the world she lived in. Hange hated titans and was willing to give her life if it made the scouts any closer to killing them all. Every time they went beyond the walls Hange would have to watch someone else she knew die. It just make she mindset more justifiable even though that it's not exactly why she joined the scout. Their very faces would fill her heart with disgust.

Erwin, Levi, Mike, Nanaba and our Hange were a amazing group together. All though Keith got many soldiers killed out of recklessness ever time the scouts came back inside it was these four that reminded them that being a scout could be worth something . Even the terrifying Hange had mange to survive many missions already was considered very experienced. With argument when she saw someone hurt she was quick to get out bandages. When Hange was outside the walls she always meant straight business.

Another expedition anthor scary and upset Hange Zoe. The titans filled her heart with pure hot hatred, The titans are humanity biggest mystery and on her first time outside the walls had figured out something new. Her life or the people around were necessary sacrifices if the scouts dream can come true. This is what she dedicated her heart too.

But that thought made her furious, good people would have to die for the cause, just the thought of how many people were eaten before humanity went inside the walls had to be a very sad amount. And these monsters had no remorse or care. Some even smilingly.

A medium sized titan was up ahead.
She yelled while she sliced it's neck deep.
Before getting back on her horse she looked at the disgusting monster and was shocked with how deep she managed to cut the nape.
She looked at her blades; completely unusable.
Levi or Rico would probably scolded her for that.
She didn't care.
She hated titans and now one of them were dead.
She got close to it.
She used her all of her strength to kick it like a ball.
Her mindset was "why the hell not, I doubt anyone has ever done that to these bastards before.

Hange was shocked because she immediately realized something.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 22 7
Just so you know, I won't make every character's personality the same as seen in the anime/manga they will be changed up slightly. Same as the relati...
22.8K 527 65
You're a new recruit in the Survey Corp with a mission that extends beyond "the sake of humanity". Joining with two childhood friends, you're able to...
4.4K 159 10
This story contains spoilers from seasons 1 to 4. Minor manga spoilers as well. I don't recommend reading this story if you aren't caught up. This st...
17.8K 853 21
{Hange Zoe x Fem Reader} Unedited "My Love, I will see you again, in a new life, where we will be free, wait for me~" Y/n L/n a fairly average girl...