The Long Game━ (l. sinclair)

Per flayedcrank

[COMPLETE UNTIL SEASON 5] You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering. "But I'm in... Més

━𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏
━𝒎𝒆𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚
━𝒆𝒙𝒕. 𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒕
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒆 , uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɥʇ
something doesn't feel right
thisiscrazy
operation mirkwood (goes horribly wrong)
and if i said these things are strange?
little assholes
pauses, then says...
all colors lead to gray (get it?)
glock in my lap
the ghost of christmas campaigns
━𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐 , ɹǝʎɐlɟ puᴉɯ ǝɥʇ
the one where things are cool
ghostbusters, scarecrows, and murderers - oh my!
a questionable birthday indeed
hahaha she's not crazy at alllll (a-wink;)
will's possessed ass
an imposter among us
the superhero and the side-kick
she's just as fine as her torso (not fine at all)
damn, sam is right
the spared group
middle schooler's scare the living shit out of me - steve
the ghost of christmas triangles
━𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 ²
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 , pǝʎɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
welcome backs and waterboarding
girls day only! (for the most part)
a day free of girls! (for the most part)
max gaslighting sam and el for 5,708 words
sam snaps, mike breaks, and corey's a stubborn bastard
that would be electrifying, wouldn't it?
why would you push a sweet girl so far
me, an empath
doomsday is close at hand
i plunge to my death
know it's for the better, know it's for the better, know it's for the better
━𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 ³
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓, ɓuıɹǝɟɟns ǝɥʇ
the one where sam isn't sam
...you're my best friend
a loser and an empath walk into a bar
they don't claim to know a lot, but they suspect several things......!!
teaching a college lecture on feminist literature!
a happy family in the 50s
a letter to never be read
they're burning all the witches even if you aren't one
sam streams songbird by fleetwood mac (for no apparent reason)
the inherent romanticism of truly seeing a person
fucked by the bats, fucked by the law
cleaning blood as a love language
i can run, but i can't hide from my family line
takes a toll, my foolish pride - how long before i see the light?
love in the air, flowers in her hair
as above, so below
once penned, an ending cannot be restored
the one where sam isnt there

a day of no dana

235 13 36
Per flayedcrank

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

"It's not fair," Sam expressed to Stephanie, trying to prevent her eyes from tearing up.

Stephanie frowned, placing her hands on the side of Sam's biceps. "I know, Sammy. It's not. I'm sorry."

"The whole group is doing Ghostbusters!" Sam complained, blinking hard so she wouldn't cry.

It was nothing to cry about, really, so Sam didn't know why she was getting so upset. The whole situation was — the Party had decided on being Ghostbusters (with the boys as the Ghostbusters, except for Corey, who wanted to be Louis Tully), except Uncle Dan refused to let Sam get the costume she wanted. She was supposed to dress up as Dana when she's possessed by Zuul. Now, she had to leave for school soon, not having any costume at all.

"I know," Stephanie repeated, looking really guilty about not being able to do anything about it. "We can find a costume for you to go Trick-or-Treating in after school, how about that?"

Sam tried breathing to calm herself, but it was shaky and she couldn't. "I don't even want to go, anymore. Can't I just stay home with you?"

Stephanie winced at that, and Sam threw her head back miserably, already knowing what her sister was going to say.

"I'm going to a party tonight with Jo, G, and Warren," Stephanie explained apologetically. "We're doing Scooby-Doo, minus Scooby."

"That's stupid," mumbled Sam, and she must be a really pitiful sight to see right now.

Stephanie sighed, nodding. "I know it is. That's why you shouldn't want to hang out with me. We're stupid."

"You guys would let me dress as Dana," Sam frowned, crossing her arms.

Sam knew. Yes. She was acting like a child right now. But Halloween was the only holiday she even liked anymore; it was her one time to truly have fun with her friends, being her unapologetic self. Now, her uncle had to even ruin that for her. Sam hadn't even been talking to him when she was muttering to Aunt Kat about her Halloween plans. Uncle Dan had just overheard, called Sam a slut, and that was it.

"Come on, Sam," Stephanie crouched down so they were at eye level, and she tilted her head at her sister. "You love Halloween. And you're gonna have fun tonight. Right, Core?"

Sam turned her head to find Corey was, in fact, lingering outside Sam's doorframe. He was wearing a wincing face towards Sam's whole ordeal, and seeing him dressed up like Louis Tully made Sam upset all over again.

"You were too blonde for Dana, anyways," Corey shrugged, in an awful attempt at making Sam feel better.

"Seriously, Corey?" Stephanie whipped her head around to send Corey a pointed glare before eyeing Sam again. "You would've been a perfect Dana, Sam. I'm sure."

Sam sighed. Then, "You don't even know who Dana is."

"That's true, but..."

Stephanie trailed off, not being able to find anything else to say to back herself up.

Getting up from her back, Sam shook her head. "Corey's right. I'm too blonde, anyways. I'm being stupid."

Stephanie straightened up to stand again, upset at how quickly Sam was dismissing her feelings about this. She had her back turned to Stephanie, and it was like she could sense Stephanie was about to speak, because when Stephanie opened her mouth, Sam was speaking again.

"I'll just scrounge around in the costume bin after school, I guess," Sam dismissed, and Stephanie could physically see the wall being built around Sam before her eyes. To Corey, she continued, "I need to get all my stuff together, but it shouldn't take long."

Looking guilty but choosing not to comment on it, Corey said, "I'll wait up for you."

"Thanks," Sam smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

Every morning, Sam, Lucas, Mike, Corey, and Dustin met up on the streets to ride to school together. Every morning since November 14, 1983. Sam was very aware of this, but for the first time since then, she didn't want to greet her friends at all. She did not want to answer any questions about her lack of costume. Sam was already in a bad enough mood.

Of course, the first thing that came out of Dustin's mouth, was a badgering, "Why aren't you dressed as Dana?"

Corey kicked Dustin in the side of the leg while Sam sighed.

"My uncle said the costume was a no-go," Sam explained, trying not to put any emotion or opinion into her voice. "So, no Dana. But it's fine, the group doesn't need her."

"The group needs Dana," Lucas was disagreeing quickly, knowing Sam all too well. "There's really no way you can pull it off?"

Sam and Corey made almost identical faces, shaking their head in unison. For Sam, Corey answered, "I would say a definite no. I witnessed it. It was..."

"A definite no," Sam finished, sharing a traumatized look with Corey.

The other boys shared upset looks. They really wanted Sam to be a part of this group costume with them, but they also knew how much of a douche Uncle Dan could be; neither thing were heartwarming, and actually, the latter was very concerning.

"Maybe you can sneak out?" Mike attempted, with an unsure tone to his voice.

Corey raised an unamused eyebrow, said, "On Halloween night? When he knows Sam wants to dress up as something he didn't say she could dress as?"

Before Mike could snap back at Corey, Sam interjected, "Really, it's fine, guys. I'll still Trick-or-Treat with you. Just... not as Dana."

"If you say so," Dustin said, although he was frowning, upset about the whole ordeal.

The five friends arrived at Hawkins Middle soon enough, three of them vocalizing the Ghostbusters theme song while Sam was content to remain silent and Corey gave an apathetic and poorly-timed, 'Who you gonna call?' every five seconds.

"Okay, you guys can shut up now—"

"Da na na na na na, nananananana—"

"Guys, seriously—"

"Na na na na—"

"I'm going to kill myself—"

"Who ya gonna call?!" The boys all screamed in unison as they cycled towards the bike racks, each of them grinning as Corey visibly grew more annoyed, even Sam.

"A fucking ambulance."

"I don't think those are the words," Will beamed from behind them, causing the four singers to let out a simultaneous cheer as they ran towards him while Corey just fondly rolled his eyes, offering a small smile and pulling the boy under his arm when their group hug disbanded.

"Hey, Egon!" Sam greeted, sending her friend a forced smile.

"Hey—" Will tried matching Sam's energy, until he realized Sam was dressed in normal clothes. "What happened to possessed Dana?"

Sam shrugged easily, wanting to brush the topic off. "Didn't end up happening. But that's all right. You look awesome!"

"Yeah, you do, Egon!" Lucas cheered, clapping Will on the back. He was ready to change the subject of Sam's topic, too, knowing she clearly didn't want to speak about it.

Will's smile returned in full, calling, "Ay, Venkman!" to Lucas.

When the two boys stepped away from each other, Mike pushed himself in the newly created gap, nudging Lucas with an outstretched arm. With a frown, he started, "Woah, woah, woah."

They all turned to Mike, confused. How could he have already found something else wrong at 8 in the morning?

"What?"

"Why are you Venkman?" Mike asked, appalled, pointing at the nametag on Lucas's jumpsuit.

In an obvious tone, Lucas answered, "Because I'm Venkman."

"No, I'm Venkman," argued Mike, gesturing to his own nametag.

"Why can't there just be two Venkmans?" Will asked easily, not wanting to sit through another Mike-and-Lucas argument.

Sam nodded in agreement with Will. "Yeah, guys. I doubt anyone will really read the nametags, anyway."

"But there's only on Venkman in real life!" Mike said, rounding on Lucas again.

Raising an eyebrow, Corey interjected, "You mean in the fictional movie that isn't actually real?"

Mike whipped his head to shoot a glare at Corey, and then he was glaring at Lucas again. "We planned this months ago! I'm Venkman, Dustin's Stantz, Will's Egon, Sam's Dana, Gray's Tully, and you're Winston!"

"I specifically didn't agree to Winston," Lucas replied, and, yes, Sam actually remembered this exact argument happening back in June when the movie came out.

But Mike, stubborn as ever, argued, "Yes, you did!"

"I don't think he did," Will interjected unsurely.

Sam shook her head, said, "Will's right. He didn't."

"No one wants to be Winston, man," Lucas added, grateful that two friends were coming to his aid.

Next to each other, Corey and Dustin shook their heads ruefully in unison.

"What's wrong with Winston?" asked Mike in a certain tone, trying to convince Lucas to switch.

"'What's wrong with Winston'?" Lucas repeated, and he could have laughed at how absurd the question was. Then, "He joined the team super late, he's not funny, and he's not even a scientist!"

Mike's eyes darted away from Lucas for a moment. He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders, said, "Yeah, but he's still cool."

"If he's cool, then you be Winston," requested Lucas, knowing what Mike was doing the second he locked eyes with Sam and she wordlessly told him.

"Wh—" Mike looked incredulous, searching for words. "I can't!"

Lucas shrugged, feigning cluelessness. "Why not?"

Mike stammered, "B-Because..."

"B-B-Because you're not Black?" snapped Lucas, mocking Mike's stutter.

Gaping with a now-blushing face, Mike argued, "I didn't say that!"

"You thought it."

Corey laughed in amusement from where he'd been watching the whole ordeal, not noticing Dustin wasn't at his side anymore. He mused, "You look cute when you're blushing, Wheeler."

"Sh-Shut up, Gray!" snapped Mike, although his face grew hotter.

Sam raised a wondering eyebrow, looking between Corey and Mike now, instead of Lucas and Mike. Will nudged Sam, sending her a face that was wondering what Sam seemed so interested in, now. In return, Sam just smirked back mischievously, shaking her head and waving Will's worry off.

"'Sh-Sh-Shut up, Gray,'" Corey mocked Mike's stammer just as Lucas had done.

Mike crossed his arms in annoyance, snapping, "It wasn't funny when Lucas did it, and it's definitely not funny when you do it!"

"I think it's funny," Corey nodded back, just to piss Mike off further.

Lucas's agitated frown turned up into a smile at Corey's behavior towards Mike. He added, "Definitely funny."

Seeing that Mike was getting genuinely upset about being tag-teamed by his friends now, Sam exhaled through her nose and decided to intervene.

"All right, guys, leave Mike alone," Sam said in a scolding tone, stepping in front of Mike. Head darting between Lucas and Mike, Sam continued, "Both of you will be Venkman, because, seriously, no one wants to be Winston." Then, to Corey and Mike, "And... you two need to—"

"Guys!" Dustin's yell pulled the whole groups attention to the curly-haired boy, all other conversations falling short. The Party finally saw what caught Dustin's eye as they approached him. "Why is no one else wearing costumes?"

Confusion and disbelief immediately filled Sam. As many students filtered out of one of the school buses and made their way into school, Sam noted they were all dressed in their normal clothes like Sam. Suddenly, she wasn't so upset about Uncle Dan not letting her be Dana.

"Crap," muttered Lucas.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

Sam felt very sorry for her thoroughly embarrassed friends, who now had all the attention on them for being the only kids in the whole school to dress up. Honestly, Sam didn't understand why no one did, because Halloween is cool. Why would no one else take the opportunity to ditch their normal clothes for a day and wear fun costumes? Why do you think Sam was so devastated at not being able to do the same?

Sam had been sticking by her friends' side, walking down the halls with them even when everyone was looking and laughing at the boys. She was loyal if not anything else, and the only reason she wasn't with them now was because she had to go to her locker before classes actually started.

Her head was in her locker, fumbling through her notebooks in textbooks as she decided which ones she wanted to leave in or take out.

"Hughes!"

With a tiny yelp, Sam whipped around and out of her locker, slamming the door shut. The lights above flickered for a moment at Sam's freak-out, but stopped when she was met with a taller, sandy-haired boy that wore a friendly smile.

Sam breathed out, holding her chest as if trying to calm herself. When she was actually chill, Sam opened her eyes and shot Justin a nervous smile. "You have got to stop doing that," Sam huffed out. "You're gonna give me a heart attack one day."

"It's not my fault you're so jumpy," Justin teased unapologetically. He leaned one side against the locker next to Sam's, crossing the outer leg over the inner one and crossing his arms. "And anyways, it's Halloween. So... boo."

"Ahh," Sam deadpanned in a monotone voice, hands waving up unenthusiastically to show she was not amused.

Sam was making progress with Justin! Or, at least, she would like to think she was. Sam could now hold full conversations with Justin, hiding externally the fact she was swooning internally. There were, of course, days were Justin made it very hard. Like today, with the way he was leaning up against the lockers and smiling down at Sam very attractively.

"I can always rely on you, Hughes, to strengthen my ego," Justin mused sarcastically, although he didn't seem offended at all. It made Sam's smile grow a little larger.

Sam shrugged, playing along with the bit. "That's what I'm here for. Reminding the jocks their actual place in society."

"Hey, being a jock is better than being a weirdo," laughed Justin, but there was something ill-natured about how he was carrying himself. "I mean, did you see the nerds who were dressed up today?"

And immediately, something cold filled inside of Sam's body. Sam liked Justin, a fact that practically everyone knew by now — maybe even Justin at this point — but there were lines that even he couldn't cross. Going after her friends was definitely one of them.

"Those 'nerds' are my friends," Sam said defensively, crossing her arms over her chest, guard coming up quickly. "And they're not weirdos. Don't be mean."

How did Justin not know that? They've all been going to school with each other since, like, kindergarten. Ever since first grade, Sam has been seen with at least Mike and Will. And that didn't even count Corey, who was literally her cousin. Did Justin not even know their names?

Sam could spot the oh, shit features take over Justin's face in a heartbeat. He cleared his throat quickly, trying to compose himself.

"Right," he gestured to her, as if it were obvious, as if he were desperate. "Yeah, I know. Totally. I shouldn't have said that. That was... That was dumb. My bad."

Sam nodded with no expression, though she agreed, "Yeah, you shouldn't have said that." Now that things were awkward, Sam didn't exactly meet his eyes. She looked around the hall, eyeing the Halloween decorations and Max in the distance. Max already had her eyes on Sam and Justin, and when they made eye contact, Sam addressed Justin again. "Look, Jay, I should get to class..."

Sam tried walking away, having to pass up Justin to do so. Unfortunately, he was, in fact, a jock. A jock who could react very quickly, and who was a lot stronger than Sam.

His hand shot out, fingers wrapping around Sam's wrist and pulling her back around to face him. Sam's eyes went wide on the grip.

Justin Zimmerman is holding my wrist. Justin Zimmerman is holding my wrist. Justin Zimmerman is holding my wrist.

"Come on, Hughes," pleaded Justin, looking down at her, but Sam couldn't take her eyes off of her wrist. She wasn't sure she was even breathing. "I'm sorry I said that. You know I'm not smart like you. I need you to remind me of my actual place in society, right?"

Honestly, Sam wasn't even listening to a word Justin was saying. Justin Zimmerman is holding my wrist, was on a repeat in her head right now.

She just gulped nervously, nodding. She agreed, "Right," hoping she had answered his question correctly.

Luckily, Justin seemed even more happy at Sam's answer. Unfortunately, his fingers went slack around Sam's wrist, causing Sam to actually look up at him now, snapping out of it.

"Perfect," he smiled in that charming manner of his. "You're the best, Hughes. I'll see you later?"

"Um..." Sam said, like an idiot. She finally closed her gaping mouth, nodding. "Yeah. Later. Bye, Jay."

"Bye, Hughes," he winked, and then he was walking down the hall in the next second.

What just happened?

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

"If I could, baby, I'd give you my world..." Lindsey Buckingham sang in Sam's ears, the rest of his bandmates playing in the background. "How can I? When you won't take it from me?"

Her fingers tapped to the beat of the song on her textbooks. Sam made her way through the school halls, trying her best not to get trampled by anyone while Fleetwood Mac played on her Walkman. "Go Your Own Way" was her current song of choice. It had been her dad's favorite Fleetwood Mac song of all time, and on bad days Sam would listen to it just to feel a little closer to him.

"You can go your own way! Go your own way..."

"Sam!"

She stopped in her tracks, hearing her name muffled through the song.

"Sam!" the voice called again.

She looked all around her, pulling her headphones to her shoulders, still not finding the source of the voice.

"Samantha Hughes," she felt a hand on her shoulder, making Sam jump and turn around.

Sam let out a small squeal, clutching on her chest. Then—

"Oh," Sam let out a breath, spotting Max Mayfield with an amused grin on her face. "It's just you."

Max threw up her hands, gesturing at herself, as if saying, 'Just me.' She asked, "What song are you listening to?"

Sam paused the song playing on her Walkman to focus her attention onto Max. She responded, "'Go Your Own Way.' It's a good song."

Max hummed, interested. "I didn't peg you as a Fleetwood Mac type, honestly."

"Are you kidding me?" Sam's nose scrunched up incredulously. "They're my favorite of all time since I was, like, eight."

"I'm a Freddie Mercury fan myself," said Max conversationally. Then she shrugged, said, "And Kate Bush, but she's more of like an underdog to me."

Sam nodded with a smile. "Mercury and Bush are awesome. I'm a huge music person. My dad and I used to just spend weekends jamming out to different artists on our turntable."

"Used to?" questioned Max, confused with furrowed eyebrows.

Sam tilted her head, asked, "What?"

"You said you and your dad 'used to.' Why don't you guys do it, anymore?"

Oh.

Well... Well, now this was just awkward. Sam had forgotten, in a town where everyone knew her business, that Max was the only one not aware of what happened to Sam's parents three years ago. Max had no clue Sam was essentially an orphan, and that she and her dad used to, because now her dad was dead.

"Um..." Sam pondered awkwardly, because she didn't quite know how to tell Max this information without ruining the mood. She turned around to find two, god-sent saviors in the forms of Ray Stantz and Peter Venkman. Sam felt a grateful smile growing on her lips at the sight of Lucas and Dustin.

Dustin cleared his throat. "Hi, Max."

"And Sam," Lucas added, smiling at her. Sam grinned back and waved.

"Right, well," Dustin nodded, and Sam could tell he was nervous about something. "Max, I'm Dustin, and this is—"

"Lucas."

"Yeah, I know," Max said sassily, looking them up and down with a wry smile.

Sam's eyebrows furrowed, outlining her eyebrow scar more evidently. Last time she checked, the boys were adamant on not actually interacting with Max. She glanced between the three, wondering, "You've met?"

Max shook her head, and looked over at Sam. "No, but they've been watching me." She turned back to them. "The stalkers."

"Uh, no," Dustin stuttered. "Actually... no. You've got it wrong. We weren't stalking — Specks, don't tell Corey we were stalking her — Um, 'cause we weren't!"

"'Specks'?" Max asked Sam, confused on how that nickname originated.

Sam shook her head with a tired sigh. "It's a long story."

Lucas rolled his eyes at Dustin, pushing him back a little bit so he's stop talking. Trying to convince both Max and himself, he said, "We weren't stalking you."

"No — no," Dustin added, growing more nervous by the second. Sam thought it was adorable. "We... We were just concerned because, you know, you're — you're new, and all."

"Yeah! Yeah, for your safety," Lucas nodded rapidly, taking Dustin's awful excuse as the easy way out.

"Mhm, there are a lot of bullies here," Dustin smirked.

Max nodded in over-exaggerated enthusiasm, which Lucas immediately caught onto. He looked towards Sam for desperate assistance, but she just shrugged helplessly, amused.

"So many bullies. It's — It's — It's crazy," Lucas stuttered, nervously twirling his finger around to further drive his point.

Max raised an eyebrow, gaze falling down to Lucas's and Dustin's costumes. "Is that why you're wearing proton packs?"

"Well," Dustin started, "these don't function, but..." Dustin began rummaging behind himself, pulling out a prop that went with his costume, "I do have this handy-dandy little trap here. And look, it even opens and closes. Look, look, look—"

Dustin snapped open the toy, ghost snatcher and Lucas held his hand out like they had just presented her with the most miraculous thing on Earth, and even Sam was grinning proudly.

"Voilà!" Dustin showcased, nodding towards his blonde best friend. "Sam made it for me. She figured out how to make all the functions. It's cool, right?"

Max eyed Sam now, seeming curious.

"I didn't actually make it," Sam tried brushing off Dustin's praises of her. "He bought the trap. I just altered it to open and close for him. Not that impressive."

Lucas disagreed, nodding, "No, it's totally impressive. Sam's our little genius."

"Right. Little genius," Dustin rambled, putting the functional trap way at Max's expectant look. He nudged Lucas for getting sidetracked, and continued, "So, we were talking last night, and you're new here, so you probably don't have any friends—"

"Sam's my friend," Max told him, locking her arm with Sam's.

Sam's face brightened up, looking to and from Max excitedly. "I am?"

"Well, duh, Hughes," scoffed Max, as if that had been obvious from the get-go.

"Fine. Yes. Sam's Miss-Friendly-Little-Puffball-Everyone-Adores," Dustin said, waving his hand in the air. Correcting himself, he continued, "You don't have a nice, big group of friends to take you Trick-or-Treating, and you're scared of bullies, so, uh, we — we were thinking... that, uh... it would be okay if you come with us!"

"'It'd be okay'?" Max echoed in a mocking tone, though Dustin was oblivious to this.

"Yeah!" Dustin grinned, seeming so excited that Sam thought it was adorable. "Our party's a democracy, and the majority voted—"

"Wait, we didn't vote—"

"Silence, Specks," Dustin dismissed her with the wave of a hand. Back to Max, he finished, "The majority voted you could come!"

"I didn't realize it was such an honor to go Trick-or-Treating with you," Max commented, faking a laugh.

Sam nudged her, giving Max a look that said, 'Be nice.'

Poor Dustin still didn't read the girl's sarcasm and continued, "Yeah, I mean, we know where to get the full-sized candy bars. We'd figured you'd want in."

"That's presumptuous of you."

Sam winced at Max's response to Dustin, but luckily Dustin's feelings were not hurt because he clearly did not know what "presumptuous" meant. He nodded at Max, taking her words as a compliment.

"Yeah!" Dustin grinned. "Totally. Uh, so, um... you'll come?"

Max rolled her eyes, slamming her locker shut. "Come on," she mumbled, tugging on the sleeve of Sam's yellow sweater.

Max pulled her along as they walked down the hall to their next class, ignoring Dustin and Lucas's shellshocked expressions.

"W-We're meeting at the Maple Street cul-de-sac at seven!" Dustin called after her pathetically. "That's seven on the dot!"

As Max continued walking down the hall, Max blew out a laugh, shaking her head at Dustin's mannerisms. It made Sam feel very bad for Dustin, who wasn't that great at socializing with new people.

Sam frowned, nudging Max sadly. "Come on, Max. Dustin's so sweet."

"He's definitely motivated, I'll give him that," Max commented before scoffing.

"They're nice!" Sam defended, giving Max a pleading, puppy dog look. She sent the girl a forced innocent smile, sidling into her. "And, plus, I'll be there! We're friends, remember?"

Max forced a tired exhale, trying to hold back the amused smile that was budding due to Sam's antics. Pretending to be annoyed, Max said, "I did say that, didn't I?"

"Yup!" Sam grinned unapologetically. Then, "If you do, you can come to my house and sleepover, afterwards! How about that?"

Max looked totally taken aback, shock evident on her face. "Really?"

Sam nodded enthusiastically, but then followed it up with, "But only if you're at the cul-de-sac at seven."

"On the dot, right?" Max joked, making fun of Dustin's previous words.

Sam grinned. "On the dot."

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

"Really, everyone dressed up last year!" Dustin complained as he, Sam, Lucas, Mike, and Corey rode home from school together. Sam needed to head home and put together a costume, so she wasn't visiting Radio Shack today.

"Jay was being an asshole about it," Sam commented, remembering their earlier interaction with an annoyed shake of her head. "I don't get it, either. I was dying to dress up for school, today."

Ignoring basically everything else Sam said, Dustin and Corey cooed in high-pitched voices, "OoOoh! Jayy!"

"Shut up," glowered Sam, face turning pinker at their teasing. Embarrassed, she mumbled, "We're just friends."

"OoOoh!" Dustin and Corey continued their mocking voices, smiling at each other. "They're 'just friendsss'!"

"Can you guys stop—?" Sam attempted, blushing furiously.

"Oh, please, stop it, Jay! You're so funny," Corey teased, in that squeaky, annoying voice as he pretended to be Sam.

"I don't sound like that," Sam glared.

"Teeheehee, Jay, you're so cuuute," Dustin continued the bit, pretending to flip long hair that didn't exist.

"Stop," interjected Sam, sounding more annoyed this time.

Dustin and Corey looked at Sam.

"I'm gonna kill you," Sam threated, still agitated at their making fun of her.

Corey furrowed his eyebrows in mock-confusion. "But what would Jay think about that?"

Sam glared, biking harder to push herself in front of the boys so that she wouldn't have to look at them, anymore.

Not only did Sam look annoyed, but Lucas, too. Only Mike was paying attention to the other Venkman, suspiciously eyeing the "silently fuming" look on his face. And now that he was thinking about it, Lucas hadn't taken part in teasing Sam about Jay in a year. He used to do it on the daily when they were in seventh grade.

Before he could ask about it, all of Mike's thoughts were drowned out by the sound of a roaring engine and a pathetic whimper of, "Uh, guys...?" from Dustin.

There was a vintage Camaro trundling down the street straight towards them, "Wango Tango" blaring from its open windows.

"I don't think he's stopping," Sam said nervously, prompting a traumatic yelp from Dustin.

And as the sleek automobile grew closer and closer, the reality they were about to be hit set in.

"SHIT!"

"MOVE, MOVE!"

"GO, GO, GO, GO!"

"WE NEED TO HAUL ASS!"

"HE'S GONNA FUCKING KILL US!"

All five of them biked impossibly faster to try and avoid being taken out by the Camaro. Sam flicked her head back once, and knew their bikes were not any competition for this impending car.

"OFF THE ROAD!" Sam yelled, swerving on her bike herself to head for the plot of grass on the side of the rode. Her friends followed suit as quickly as they could, Dustin accidentally falling over completely into the autumn leaves.

The car veered as it passed the Party before it actually could hit them. Sam's head whipped up in shock, noting a familiar red-head grappling with whatever maniac was in the driver's seat.

"HOLY SHIT!" Dustin screeched as Sam helped him stand up. The five of them watched the car speed away from them. He panted heavily, eyes glued to the blue vehicle. "Was that...?"

"Mad Max," Lucas breathed out in response, eyes full of fear.

Damn.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

short chapter because i had to split this chapter and the next in half. i try to tell myself to keep the word count under 10,000 bc i really have a problem

anyways BOO!!!! UNCLE DAN!!! BOOOOO!!!

also i've realized i have yet to comment on justin... um yeah so that's him. actually, i want to know what y'all's opinion on him is??? obviously he's in the way of hughclair but if we put that aside???

and more hints of colorwheel! trust i have a plan for them y'all, the gays WILL be fed.

eventually.

what'd you think? 

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

5.5K 124 15
I bet I can speak to her before the end of the day I love him 🇨Lokerxfanni / 2023 Miguel Diaz x Femal...
21K 858 37
#1 IN STRANGERTHINGS 15/4/24 in which the older henderson child cannot cope without the ...
32.9K 791 20
*I do not own the Nightmare before Christmas or the video game titled "The Nightmare before Christmas, Oogies Revenge". All rights belong to Tim Burt...
407K 13.3K 58
- welcome to the wacky, crazy life Eric Matthews and Anna Hunter have made theirs. • "What is she doing?" "Proving her love." "Wouldn't the stairs be...