𝐀𝐬 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫π₯𝐝 𝐜𝐚�...

By marlavv

Not knowing who she is, nor why she was send there, Ruby finds herself trapped in a maze full of boys. Thomas... More

-Cast-
Chapter 1-arriving
Chapter 2-the dream
Chapter 3-falling
Chapter 4-drawing lessons
Chapter 5-night
Chapter 6-realization
Chapter 7-confessions
Chapter 8-catch me
Chapter 9-the letter
Chapter 10-goodbye
Chapter 11-reunion
Chapter 12-on our own
Chapter 13-Brenda and Jorge
Chapter 14-cranks
Chapter 16-the club
Chapter 17-drugged
Chapter 18- "I got shot."
Chapter 19-the hospital
Chapter 20-Mary
Chapter 21-the flare
Chapter 22- stay away
Chapter 23- the right arm
Chapter 24- I remember us
Chapter 25- the cure
Chapter 26- going for a swim
Chapter 27- Sonya and Newt
Chapter 28 -planning
Chapter 29-packing for the journey
Chapter 30-Paradise
Epilogue+a/n

Chapter 15-sleeping arrangements

35 5 42
By marlavv

After Brenda took the lead again and we left the tunnels, we ended up somewhere in the city.

We've been walking for an hour or so. I completely lost track of time. We all have to rest so we are looking for a spot to sleep.

The city is kinda spooky. There are no people in sight, but you know they are there.

Brenda said they are hiding in the buildings. Hopefully they don't notice us. Apart from two guns and a knife we have nothing.

I'm concerned about our friends. They could be anywhere by now. I hope my sister is alright. They are with Jorge and I think he's smart. They'll make it.

Our destination still is the right arm. If we don't reunite in the city, then we'll meet them there.

I'm really thirsty and a bit dizzy from all the heat. My clothes are sticking to my skin. I'd kill for a bed right now.

"How much further is it?" I ask Brenda.

The girl is walking in front of me and Thomas. A while ago she said we could sleep in a car at a parking lot.

"I'm not sure. It should be around here somewhere."

So she doesn't know where it is.

"Can't we just sleep inside a building?" I'm not hiding my exhaustion.

"No Ruby, for the hundredth time we can't. The cranks are in there." Brenda is obviously a bit annoyed by me. I won't ask her again.

I turn to my boyfriend. Thomas hasn't said anything in half an hour. It's quite unusual for him to not talk at all. He must be deep in his thoughts.

I walk closer beside him and nudge his shoulder with mine. He looks at my expectantly.

"How are you?" I lower my voice a bit. Brenda doesn't have to hear every word we speak.

"I'm fine. It's the others I'm worried about."

I'm worried about them too. And I miss my friends. The last time I spoke to Minho, I wasn't the nicest. He deserved that in the situation, but now I regret it. Maybe I'll never see him again.

"They are going to make it. I know it." I lie. I guess sometimes hope is more important than the truth.

We are quiet for a few seconds, just looking at each other.

"I love you, Thomas." I randomly say. I have to tell him that more often. It's mostly him who says it.

A smile forms on his lips.

"I love you, Ruby."

I smile too.

And suddenly the world is perfect again. Not really. But I do feel a lot better now.

"Guys, we are there!" Brenda calls us.

We are standing between all kinds of cars. The girl is pointing at an old blue van. It's not destroyed like the others.

Finally. I jump into the van and look around. There are two seats in the front, one sofa in the back and multiple shelves.

I don't even notice them though. All I can think of is the sofa. I let myself drop onto it and close my eyes.

The fabric is soft and comfortable. I don't ever want to stand up again.

I hear footsteps entering the van too. There is a chuckle from Thomas when he sees me. I'm not bothered by Brenda looking through all the shelves for food or the loud noises it makes.

Soon I feel weight being placed beside me. Then an arm wraps around my torso and I'm being pulled against a warm chest.

Thomas places his head in the crock of my neck and caresses my bare arm with his thumb.

His steady breath is calming and I completely melt into his arms.

We lay like this for a bit until I turn around and our noses are touching. He's not asleep but his eyes are closed. I gently touch his cheek with my fingers and draw circles all the way up to his hair.

He pulls me closer as I do so and I smile. Thomas just makes me happy. It doesn't matter where we are or under what circumstances.

I touch his lips with mine softly and let them rest there. I close my eyes too.

                                               -

When I wake up it's because of the sudden coldness. The warmth of Thomas's body is gone.

I wrap my arms around my chest in order to keep myself warm.

The van is all dark. But I hear voices from outside. They are talking quietly. I recognise them as Thomas's and Brendas.

The concern I felt a minute ago vanishes immediately. I thought something happened. But my friends aren't gone.

I'm too tired to stand up and join them. I'm not sure if they even want me to. So I just close my eyes again and listen to them.

"It's different for everyone. Of course I don't know if I'm infected for sure, but I can only assume it." I hear Brendas voice.

She continues talking "I live with cranks and I'm not immune. Same for Jorge. We are both most likely infected. I can't feel it yet though."

"I just hope we'll make it to the right arm." Thomas's voice."I just- I can't loose her."

"You love her, don't you?"

"Yeah." His words send a warm feeling through my body.

"She loves you too."

"I know."

"Be grateful. You two have the chance to get old together. I don't have a future." Her voice sounds sad.

I wish there was a cure.

"I don't have a past. But I guess a future is more important than that."

"Do you really can't remember anything?"

"No."

"If we ever make it to the right arm, I'll tell you my story."

I'd like to hear her story too. She already told us a little about it. She lost her brother.

I couldn't bare losing Teresa, even though I met just her a few days ago.

"I'm looking forward to it."

They are silent again.

I know I won't be able to fall asleep again without Thomas next to me. I slowly stand up and walk out of the van.

Brenda and Thomas are sitting next to the van, their backs leaned against the wall.

When I step out of the door they both turn their heads in my direction.

"Ruby, why aren't you sleeping?" Thomas asks me.

I walk up to them and sit down on the ground, facing both of them.

"I could ask you the same thing." I give him a small smile and then turn my head to look at the sky.

It's clear and I am able to see all the stars, shining brightly. It's beautiful. I lay down on my back to watch them.

Brenda looks at me before laying down beside me. It doesn't take long for Thomas to join us.

All three of us are looking at the stars now. Thomas and I intertwine our fingers. Brenda is watching the stars dreamily.

I don't really care about the cold ground underneath me. I enjoy the silence and our view.

"Do you know in what county we are?" I ask Brenda after a while.

Teresa never told us and maybe it triggers my  memories or something. I'm still hoping they will all come back some day.

I know some of my memories are with Thomas. And I'd like to remember my family and my old home.

"No, sorry I don't know. Wicked just left me here somewhere. Jorge found me. But I never asked him."

Luckily Jorge found her and not some cranks.

"How old where you when that happened?" I ask her.

"Nine maybe, or younger."

That's cruel. Leaving a nine year old girl alone on the streets.

But it's Wicked. They also sended a group of teenagers into a giant maze along with monsters.

I shiver at the thought of the maze.

Thomas leans over to me and whispers "Are you cold?"

"No, I'm fine." I give him a reassuring smile.

I look back at the stars.

"What are we going to do now? I mean are we going for the mountains or...?" I ask my friends.

I really like the thought of being safe at the right arm, but I don't know if I want to go without knowing the others are safe.

Thomas answers me this time.

"We don't know how far away the mountains are exactly. We need to pack up more food first. Tomorrow we will search in the buildings." He hesitates a bit when he says the last sentence.

I sit up "But I thought the cranks were in the buildings?"

"They are. It's going to be dangerous." Brenda says.

"But there is no need to worry about us. Brenda and I will be back sooner than you think." Thomas's voice is stern all of sudden.

Wait. Did I hear that right? Brenda and him. What about me?

"Wait what? What do you mean you will be back? I'm coming with you!" There is no way I'll wait here patiently while Thomas is in life danger.

"No Ruby, you're not." He doesn't even look into my eyes.

"Why?!"

"We only have two guns. And there is no need for you to be in danger."

"Thomas, I can fight! You saw it."

Why do I have to prove myself?

"And what if one of them bites or even scratches you?! What if you're not really immune?! Maybe Teresa was wrong!" Now he's looking at me. And he's clearly upset.

"I trust Teresa! And you are supposed to trust me!" I yell at him. Before I know it I am standing on my feet.

Thomas stands up too, but I'm already running into the opposite direction.

"Ruby wait!" He yells, trying to call me back.

Running through a city full of cranks in the middle of the night maybe isn't that much of a good decision. But I can't just go back now.

I hear heavy footsteps behind me. I forgot my boyfriend was a runner in the maze. Of course he's faster than me.

I a second he has grabbed my arm and spun me around. I can't free myself.

"Let go!"

"Are you crazy?! I'm not letting you run through this hell hole in the middle of the night!"

My vision is blurry. I don't know if it's the anger, the tiredness or the fear. It's like I'm back in the maze. My biggest enemy are my feelings.

I can't think straight. I do a strange movement with my arm and I'm free. I place my foot behind Thomas's leg and push him. He falls to the ground and lands with his head against the ground.

I fall down with him.

A painful groan escapes his lips and he touches his head with his hand.

Slowly I begin to realise what I did. I hurt Thomas. The boy I love. On purpose.

I touch his head looking for any injuries.

"Oh no, Thomas I didn't mean to- I'm sorry... I-I. I don't want to hurt you-"

He gently cups my cheeks and pulls me closer. I frown at him, still breathing heavily.

"Hey, hey. Ruby I'm okay, it's alright. Calm down, please." He whisperes, looking into my eyes.

A tear rolls down my cheek and he strokes it away.

I hug him. It feels so good to feel his body against mine. After a second his arms wrap around my waist too.

Thomas slowly sits up. I'm sitting on his lap now. I let go to look at him.

"I don't know what happened. It felt like I wasn't myself anymore. I'm sorry."

For a moment I see concern in his eyes, but it vanishes as quickly as it came. Maybe I just imagined it.

"I am the one who should apologise, Ruby. No one but you gets to decide what you do. I just hate the fear of losing you."

"And you think I don't? I don't want to loose you either." I tell him. My hand slides through his hair.

He nods. I think he understands me.

"I love you." his voice is sad.

"I love you too. And you won't lose me. Ever."

I kiss his cheek. Then his lips. And he kisses me back.

A/n:

It's been so long since the last time I updated sorryyy

I'll try to write more from now on!!

Hope you enjoyed xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3M 231K 43
Bree is thrown into the glade like everybody else. In a dark metal box with no memory of her past life. She soon comes to realize that her new life i...
121K 5K 25
β € π’‚π’“π’•π’†π’Žπ’Šπ’”ΒΉ β•± θΏ·θ·―. she was fragile like a π’ƒπ’π’Žπ’ƒ. ━...
11.9K 270 25
𝐏𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐄 πŽππ„. 𝐒𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑.. πŒπ€πƒπ„π‹π˜π wakes up in the box like everybody else in the glade the only thing different is, she's a girl. s...
566K 11.1K 40
A metal box brought them there, a place surrounded with endless, shifting corridors with no sign of getting out. It's always been boys but one day a...