A Homecoming

Av unnie_girie

A breathtaking island serves as a refuge for one broken soul. Will it become something more or will it remain... Mer

Characters
His Arrival
Banana Pancakes
Wide Awake, Getting Half Past Zero
Things are looking up, right?
That Joji Song
CHAPTER BREAK: Official Spotify Playlist
These Little Black Clouds
I Will Be Found
Never Gonna Be Alone
Like or Like Like
Someone To You
If I'm Being Honest You Should Stay Awhile
I Like that It Won't Go Away
'Til then, we'll knock around and see
Take My Hand if You can Take Me as I Am
Where the Dark Remembers You
If You Want to Dance then Dance with Me
A2: Don't Know Where I've Been But I Know Where I Want To Go

With All Our Might, We'll Try and Make It Ours

206 7 1
Av unnie_girie

The change in season meant less sun and even fewer tourists. The usually packed town of General Luna is now more relaxed, and the locals are more carefree. In Angkan, only a handful of guests stayed to surf the bigger waves that the monsoon season brings. Jisoo herself spends her mornings and afternoons surfing the same waves with Lisa.

"Did Haein leave the island as well?" Lisa asked after they settled their boards in their shed. "He hasn't touched his board lately." Reaching out, she ran her hand over the neglected board, "Look, it needs fresh wax."

The low turnout of guests meant less manpower was needed to help run the resort. While Jisoo stayed to manage the front of the house, Haein retreated to his unit to focus on the expansion. Tito Hyunwoo mentioned it in passing during one of their staff dinners because Haein's assigned seat had been vacant for quite a while.

"Did you hit your head or something? Tito Hyunwoo told us just last week. Haein's busy with the expansion," Jisoo said, putting in extra effort to sound nonchalant. "Maybe he's doing some... architect stuff."

Lisa gawked at Jisoo, "I took you as a bright, young woman, Jisoo. Do better than 'architect stuff.'"

"I don't keep tabs on him, Lisa."

"Isn't that what partners do? Keep tabs on each other?" Laughing, Lisa closed the door behind her as they continued walking towards the resort. Shaking her head, Jisoo chuckled beside her. She just can't tell the curious Lisa that she's been itching to hear any update from Haein, be it about his plans for the expansion, the designs, heck she wouldn't mind if he asks her about the name recommendations they talked about the last time. Not that she has anything good to contribute, but at least she hears from him.

"All I know is that he's working his way back to his firm while laying the groundwork for the expansion. He's busy. Let's leave him be."

"You know, we never got to talk about that."

"About what?"

"That time you guys went to check the pools."

"What's there to talk about?" Jisoo said, a little too quickly. Too defensively.

Rolling her eyes, Lisa faced her with a look that said she's not letting it go. "I'm not asking if you guys made out, even if you both acted like it after."

"We didn't make-"

"I know. Because if you did, I'm sure as hell that I'll know."

"Then what do you want to know?"

"I don't know! You tell me!"

Sighing, Jisoo bit her lip and looked ahead. "Well, I told him my story. Why I'm here. Who I'm running from. And... and he told me his."

It wasn't in her liberty to discuss his story, even if it is with someone Haein trusted and liked. It was too personal, too raw to be talked about in such a casual manner. Then she remembered the way Haein smiled to himself while talking about his firm and his plans. Jisoo hates to admit it, but that smile has been on her mind since that afternoon. And as much as she wants to keep that very specific memory to herself, she knew she has to give something. Anything to distract Lisa.

"But he also told me about his plans for the expansion." Talking about it suddenly brought back the feeling of pride she had when Haein started talking passionately about his plans. "He's so excited about it. When he started talking about the design philosophy he'll apply to the place, he sounded so nerdy it's... it's endearing."

Before she could stop herself, she said it. The word she's been trying to think of that fully articulates that fluttery feeling when she thinks of him.

"Did you just say... endearing?" Lisa repeated, obviously taken aback with what she heard. "Did you just call Haein Jung endearing?"

"It's not a big deal!" Jisoo retorted, upping her pace. The entrance of the kitchen is within reach, and she can easily brush off Lisa through the guise of her dinner shift starting, but so far, the other girl is relentless. "Not a big deal? Of course, it is a big deal! Can't you see!"

Lisa stepped in front of Jisoo and reached out to hold her shoulders, with unshed tears making her eyes glisten.

"Lisa..."

"The magic of this island is still strong, after all. He's healing, Ji. He's... he's okay."

Jisoo couldn't help but smile. Lisa's naivety is truly a gem in this harsh and unforgiving reality. Before setting foot on the island, she had never met anyone who was unspoiled and genuine until she met Lisa. This made her think that maybe, maybe Lisa is the island's source of magic and sunshine.

"You know, you're right." Smiling, she stepped closer to Lisa and wiped her tears like she would if she had a little sister, "I'm sure he's doing better now. So don't worry too much about Haein. Or, you know, you can always check up on him. I bet he'll appreciate it."

Suddenly, Lisa's eyes widened. "You know what, you just gave me the perfect idea." Wiping her own tears and smiling at Jisoo like she's scheming something. "I'll see you tonight, Jisoonie! And I'm not taking no for an answer."

Before she could respond or even react, Lisa turned and skipped happily away, leaving Jisoo feeling rather unsure of how to feel or what to think.

--

The resort was already dark and quiet at 8 PM. Every Monday through Wednesday, the resort closed its kitchen early, serving only a limited lunch menu. The low season gave everyone the chance to breathe, and while the island burst with incredible nightlife during summer, the nights in the cold, monsoon season were just as festive.

It was 8 PM when Jisoo made her way to Haein's villa. Initially, Lisa planned that they would get Haein to go with them to a small open mic night in one of the resorts owned by another island adoptee, a former member of a relatively popular rock band. However, Lisa casually informed her through text that she went ahead and would see them at the party itself. As a consolation, she volunteered to give Haein a heads up.

Three taps. Jisoo tapped Haein's door and softly called out his name. After a while, there was no response. "Hey, the tricycle is already here. Time to go," she called out, knocking a little louder. Finally, she heard footsteps. The knob turned, and the door opened, revealing a bare-chested Haein in his red plaid pajamas, with his hair still dripping wet. "Go where... exactly?"

Jisoo felt heat immediately in her ears, subtly trying to cover them with her hair. "To Azul. There's a party tonight."

"What party?" The realization suddenly made Haein double-take. Biting down a cheeky smile, he shifted and leaned against the door frame, crossing his arms. "Wait... Are you asking me out?"

"What. No! It's Lisa's idea!" Clearing her throat, she took a step back to look at Haein. "So... are you coming or not?"

It should be illegal to have such a charming pout on that body. Because if that's the case, then Haein should be locked up. And the key? Thrown into the ocean, never to be seen again. Ever.

Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way, and Haein is still shirtless, and still godawfully cute with that pout on his face. The image, she fears, will forever be imprinted in her most intrusive thoughts.

With a sigh, Haein nodded and smiled. "Alright, let me put on some clothes."

After a quick tricycle ride, Jisoo and Haein are walking towards the area of Azul illuminated with string lights and colorful bean bags. "I'll go get drinks," Haein leaned closer to whisper in her ear. "Go find our daughter." Jisoo watched, smiling and shaking her head as he winked at her before turning towards the bar.

"Jisoonie! You're here!"

Feigning annoyance, Jisoo faced Lisa who didn't buy any second of her fake anger. "You didn't text Haein, did you?"

"Possibly, conveniently forgot about it." Lisa giggled, wrapping her arms around Jisoo's shoulders. "Time for you to stop questioning my ways and just... ride with it."

"Oh, that is not comforting at all."

The two girls settled onto an empty mat just as Haein arrived with three bottles of beer. "So, this party," Haein started as he placed a bottle in front of each of the girls, "Is this a regular thing?"

Nodding, Lisa clinked her bottle against Haein's and Jisoo's before taking a long drink. "The open mic is only during the low season. It's a different scene here during the summer."

"Open mic?" Haein's voice registered a tinge of excitement that made Jisoo smile.

"Like anyone can sing?"

"Yes. And I'm performing! That's why I dragged you both here. So you two better give me a huge round of applause later."

The sound of a guitar being tuned pierced through the chatter, and Jisoo saw how Haein's attention quickly shifted from them to the stage. Jisoo watched as the smile he was trying to hide earlier was now in full view. Somehow, this reaction, this wide-eyed anticipation, looked very familiar - it was the same look he had while he was talking about his designs.

Jisoo has always believed that the island has its own kind of magic. Magic that makes everything, even the most regular thing, look and feel extraordinary. On the island, a day without rain isn't just a sunny day; instead, it's a perfect day where the sunlight makes all the colors pop - blue is bluer, green is greener - that's the magic. And she believes, as she gazes at Haein, smiling without any trace of the pain he carried for so long, that the island has truly done its magic to Haein.

"Okay, I gotta prepare!" Lisa pushed herself up to stand before downing the rest of her beer in one go. "Thanks for the beer, Haein! I'll see you two later!"

Haein raised his bottle to bid Lisa goodbye and then clinked it against Jisoo's. "Cheers."

After taking a slow drag from his bottle, Haein turned and looked at Jisoo. "I don't think I ever told you that I am a sucker for live music."

"So you sing?" Jisoo asked, biting down a smile as she imagined Haein belting it out, karaoke-style.

Chuckling, he shook his head. "In the shower, yes. In front of a crowd? If I am inebriated enough. But I love live music," he added, with a smile that was both eager and shy.

"Oh really?" She responded, herself suddenly eager to hear more. It was unprompted, him sharing a little bit more of himself. Truly a far cry from the shut-in that he was just a few months ago. "What's the best concert you've attended?"

"It will have to be..." Haein stopped and inhaled deeply in thought. As he exhaled, he filled his cheeks with air and pouted, making him look like an extra adorable five-year-old that's out to charm you at your end's wits. Jisoo had to look away, anywhere, because the fluttering that she's feeling in her stomach since he opened his door earlier, all shirtless and fresh from the shower, is back.

"Oh, I know! Coldplay in LA. The entire concert was nothing short of amazing, but when they performed A Sky Full of Stars and all the lights were in sync..."

Haein paused and turned to her, the warm, yellow light making his eyes twinkle. He sighed and smiled - a dreamy smile on his eyes and lips. "It was mind-blowing."

"That sounds like a wonderful core memory."

"It is." Nodding, he took a long drink of his beer. He set down the empty bottle and focused his eyes on it, his smile fading quite a bit. He quickly pulled himself together and continued, still focused on his empty beer bottle. "I will never forget it. I may have compartmentalized other parts of that LA trip, but..." He paused, clearing his throat before looking at Jisoo intently,

"But there are some things that you allow wholeheartedly to stay with you."

Smiling, Jisoo nodded slowly, her gaze fixed on Haein, and everything else, all the crowd and the chatter seems to reduce down to insignificance.

All, except Haein. "Of course, it's up to you who... what can stay."

"Oh, I have..." Haein bit down his lower lip in his feeble attempt to temper his smile, "I have a few ideas on who I want to stay." "Really now..." "Actually, just one. The rest can... they can go."

"Architect Jung? Haein?"

And just like that, the vacuum broke. Suddenly, it wasn't just them anymore. It was like getting pulled, harshly, back to reality. Like being woken up from a deep, comfortable sleep, only to be thrown into chaos. If Jisoo wasn't sitting, she'd probably lose her balance thanks to the whiplash.

"I knew it was you!" A voice from behind her called out. Jisoo watched as Haein's brows furrowed in confusion, and then shifted into recognition.

"Chrissy? Hey." Standing up, he held out his arm and welcomed a tall, fair-skinned and dark-haired woman who seemed to be overly pleased with the sight of Haein. She gave him a quick peck on the cheek while rubbing his lower back. "So good to see you! Mom and Dad are always asking about you. I told them that I heard you're currently on sabbatical. So they were like, tell him to come and stay in Plaia. There's a villa with your name on it, so you should visit soon."

Haein pulled at his ear and chuckled. He stole a glance at Jisoo and found her looking the other way. This view, he can't read her expression, if she's annoyed or if she doesn't care or worst, she's grateful for the distraction Chrissy shoved between them. "How's Mr. and Mrs. Chu? How's everything at the resort?"

"Funny you asked. They're actually planning to expand. We just acquired the property last month and we are looking to build soon."

"Please tell me you'll be off your sabbatical so you can take this on." From the corner of Jisoo's eye, she watched as Chrissy reached out and rubbed Haein's arm. Without meaning to, she inhaled sharply and quickly, making her cough out loud. The noise that came out of her made Haein and Chrissy turn to look at her.

"Shit. Sorry." Jisoo mumbled before drinking her beer, unsure whether to be proud or mortified of her juvenile reaction. She looked up and saw Haein with a small smile on his lips, which made her eyes roll.

"Would really love to, but I'm also expanding our property here. This is Jisoo, my partner."

Jisoo's head snapped up to look at them. "Business... partner. Hi," standing up, she reached out her hand towards Chrissy, which she took and they shook hands. "We're managing Angkan. You should come visit."

"Oh. Cool! I am staying near Angkan! I'll take you up on that offer, Jisoo!"

"Anytime, Chrissy. Excuse me, I'll just go get a beer." With a polite smile directed to no one, Jisoo turned and walked towards the bar. She didn't bother asking Haein if he wants another beer, he can get his own, Jisoo thought, shocked at how riled up she feels. She's actually used to it, how girls in bikinis try to get his attention every single time, all the time, that she started to doubt if his coffee really does taste good or they go back just to attempt to get his attention.

But those people are mostly tourists, just passers-by. In a day or two, they're gone, and the probability of them coming back is low. But Chrissy? Chrissy has something even she doesn't have.

History.

"Looks like you need something stronger than beer." A familiar voice called out beside her. Even without looking, she knows Haein is smiling ear to ear. "Hi, two double black please. Neat."

Sighing, she leaned against the bar and waited for the bartender to come back so she can order her drink since Haein just bought drinks for him and Chrissy. So might as well get something stronger seeing that she'll be drinking alone until Lisa joins her.

Finally, the bartender returns with two drinks for Haein. "Thanks." She heard him say. Still she refused to look at him, only waiting for him to walk back to Chrissy before she can get her own drink.

"Here. For you." Haein gently pushed the glass of whiskey in front of Jisoo. For a moment, she looked at it, trying to process why she feels so miffed all of a sudden. Was it the way she touched him, so familiar and without restraint? Or was it his lack of resistance?

Truth be told, Haein's rejection, while already distant memory, is still etched in her mind like a stubborn scar tissue. Tonight though, the old wound feels fresh and raw.

"The whiskey won't drink itself, I'm afraid."

"Then drink it."

Beside her, Haein chuckled and sighed. "I won't. It's yours. I bought it for you."

"I can buy my own bottle."

"No doubt about that. But tonight, I'm buying." Moving in front of Jisoo, Haein cocked his head to peer at her face. "I'm sorry I didn't introduce you sooner. Frankly, I was a little pissed someone recognized me here."

"Well, sooner or later it was bound to happen." Jisoo said, still not looking at Haein.

"I'll make sure to introduce you-"

"It's not it, okay? I don't mind it."

"Doesn't look like it."

Finally, Jisoo shot him a look. "Whatever."

For a while, they stood next to each other without saying a word. Until Lisa walked up the stage. Instantly, Haein felt Jisoo's mood lighten up. "She's been practicing Anyone Else But You for weeks. Maybe she's performing that tonight."

"Anyone Else But You as in... you're a part-time lover and a full-time friend?" 

"The monkey on your back is the latest trend. Yes, that one. I like that song." 

Without thinking, Jisoo took the whiskey glass and sipped leisurely from it. Haein watched from the corner of his eye, knowing better than to point out that she finally took the drink. Ceasefire, successful, he thought with a smile.

"Test. Mic. Okay! Hi, guys!" Finally, it looked like Lisa was ready to begin. Haein shifted his stance so he is both facing Jisoo and the stage. He watched as Jisoo set down her glass, and like a supportive mother, she took out her phone and gets ready to record.

"So this song is sad." Lisa laughed and started strumming. "Hope you enjoy it."

All I want is nothing more

To hear you knocking at my door

'Cause if I could see your face once more

I could die as a happy man I'm sure

The recognition that was shortly followed by a harsh recollection made Haein suck in air a little too abruptly. He gripped the glass in his hand, both in an effort to cling to something and to stop himself from downing the strong, amber liquid in one go.

When you said your last goodbye

I died a little bit inside

I lay in tears in bed all night

Alone without you by my side

It took all of Jisoo's strength to maintain nonchalance after hearing Haein's reaction to the song. She didn't know the extent of the pain he was forced to face again after being triggered by a song. After crawling his way out of despair, was he now tempted to find his way back again?

But if you loved me

Why did you leave me

Only one thought kept Haein intact -

you're okay now.

'Cause you brought out the best of me

A part of me I'd never seen

You took my soul wiped it clean

Our love was made for movie screens

Sighing, Jisoo bit her lip and turned to face Haein. She studied his face and saw unyielding determination, not heartache nor regret. His jaw was clenched in resolve, only moving when he took a long drink from his glass. Then he turned towards her and met her eyes. Instantly, his face softened, and he smiled.

Since the first time they met, Jisoo has felt it-that fierce instinct to protect Haein, to take care of him. That feeling never wavered, not even once. Instead, every single day, it grew steadily and earnestly.

But despite that, it was him who offered reassurance.

"I'm... I'm good."

--

In the background, they could hear Lisa giggling as she wrapped up her performance with The Moldy Peaches' "Anyone Else But You." The audience started singing along near the end, and next thing they knew, everyone was clapping their hands, and Lisa was just taking it all in.

Beside her, Haein laughed. "That was a rollercoaster ride of emotions." He watched her, shaking her head in response. "I swear to God, I didn't see that coming. Well, props to her for cheering everyone up after the first song."

Jisoo faced Haein, and an idea suddenly struck her.

"Do it."

"Do what?"

"Sing."

She watched him flash her a skeptical look. ".. sing."

"Yeah. You have what, two drinks in you. You're inebriated enough for one song." Jisoo pushed just ever so slightly.

"What do I get out of it?" He asked slowly, appearing to mull over the thought.

"What do you get out of it?" Thinking he's not going to give it a try, Jisoo huffed brazenly, "Anything."

Haein chewed the inside of his cheek and took a long drink, taking his time to finish his whiskey. His eyes though, stayed at Jisoo. He watched, savored, that look from her that just seems to challenge him. And something about that look made his insides buzz like crazy.

Gently, he settled his glass back on the bar and wiped his lower lip with his thumb. Haein flashed Jisoo a smile before leaning in to whisper in her ear, "Watch me."

She only realized that she was holding her breath when her reflexes kicked in and forced her to suck in air.

"Hi, everyone. So, I'm going to perform a personal favorite. And possibly the only song I know how to sing properly. Anyway, this song..."

Pausing, Haein looked around and found faces turned to him, all eager to hear his voice and his story. But only one face brought him comfort and peace that he sought. He spotted her, still in the same spot where he left her. Their eyes met, she held his gaze and smiled.

Never in his wildest dreams did he imagine that all he needed to feel whole again was just one smile, until Jisoo smiled at him.

"This song reminds me of someone who is very dear to me right now. I hope you like it."

Fortsett รฅ les

You'll Also Like

2.1K 392 33
A Goddess sacrificed herself for the sake of all realms' peaceful coexistence (realms of heaven, hell, and mortals). After dying, her soul was put in...
242K 2.9K 57
-- โ love in different stories โž will you be able to escape from the reality? ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜‚๐˜€ : COMPLETED. ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—พ๐˜‚๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐˜€ : CLOSED.
13.9K 642 39
Fall slowly,and let love get lost in the in-between. - ๐“น๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ป๐”‚ ๐“น๐“ธ๐“ฎ๐“ฝ๐“ป๐”‚