Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

arlenerae tarafından

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... Daha Fazla

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 58

259 15 6
arlenerae tarafından

Ares Simon's POV:

I couldn't decipher her thoughts, and wondered if it was the shock speaking.

Softly squeezing her cold hands, I gazed into her eyes and said, "Elysia, I understand this is a shock for you. Trust me, discovering you were the one my family chose was a surprise for me too," and a good one as well.

How could I make her understand that she is the sole reason I could entertain the thought of marriage, and willing to risk it all?

Elysia's brows furrowed in confusion, hesitation lingering in her features as she stammered, "But... Weren't you e-engaged?" I subconsciously bit the insides of my cheek at her question.

If only she knew!

Amusement laced my words as I responded, "Didn't realize my executive assistant was avidly following the rumored gossip about me, hm?" A surge of happiness welled within me. "And not just following, but believing it too, I see!" I added, raising an eyebrow, a smirk forming on my lips.

She had mentioned my supposed engagement before, and if it bothered her, could it be that...?

As the thought crossed my mind, my smirk widened, turning into a pleasant smile.

It seemed Mrs. Ares wasn't as indifferent toward me as she always portrayed.

Elysia's face flushed crimson once again, avoiding eye contact, looking anywhere but me, as she stammered, "I-I wasn't intentionally following the news. I saw it coincidentally." She withdrew one hand from mine, nervously tucking a strand of hair behind her ear in a slightly clumsy manner, then instinctively placed her hand back under mine, resuming the previous position.

The gesture was so adorable that, if not for the seriousness of our conversation, I might have impulsively kissed her, consequences be damned. She didn't realize her actions but I noticed everything; the movements of her hands, her cute pink flushed features, panicked large amber eyes, wandering gaze, slight unsure movements of her lips, constant furrowing of her eyebrows and the delicate movement of her throat as she gulped. "It's okay, Elysia," I reassured, fighting back a grin. "You don't need to explain yourself."

"I-it wasn't like I was following news about you. I have no reason to do that," She continued, over-explaining herself as she often did when caught doing something which she definitely did.

Suppressing the urge to tease her, I shifted to a more serious tone, deciding to save it for another time. "I believe you," I nodded in affirmation, gently stroking her fingers.

"I was never engaged, Elysia," I confessed, shaking my head. "It was Grandpa. He and Mom wanted me to marry, and when I refused, he devised his plan to convince me. So, the news was his doing," I added, watching surprise unfold across Elysia's features with a subtle raise of her eyebrows.

I continued, "They weren't forcing me to marry someone of their choice; they just wanted me to marry. Your mom and mine met a few weeks ago when Mom came to the hospital for her checkup, and they somehow became friends," which was undoubtedly a part of Grandpa's plan but I chose to keep this from Elysia. "Sandra was also looking for your proposal, the same goes for my mom. They met up, planned, decided, and the rest is history."

"To answer your question about why I agreed to marry; it's because the woman was you," I carefully observed her expressions shifting from attentive listening to surprise, as she absorbed my words. I continued, "Of course, I didn't imagine we would be marrying under these circumstances, but you agreed to marry a stranger, so the situation somehow led to this."

"When Grandpa told me about you, I found myself considering marriage for the first time, and surprisingly, it didn't seem like a bad idea. Moreover, I lo- like you," I clicked my tongue at the last moment, pressing my lips together.

'Don't push your luck, Knight! Respect her limits.' I chewed my bottom lip, meeting her eyes again to gauge her reaction. She maintained a blank expression before raising her hand from mine in confusion, pointing towards herself.

"Y-you like me?" She mumbled in a very unsure manner. Out of all the things I said, she paused on that.

Was it that unexpected?

Raising a questioning eyebrow in surprise, I countered, "Do you genuinely believe I go around apologizing to every girl with a necklace as a gift and note?" Necklace that I designed myself, and even had the entire factory work double overtime to polish and enhance them, I might add. "Or that I grant every girl access to my office-attached bedroom?"

Does she really think I go around flirting with just anyone?

I thought she knew me better than that, but apparently not...

Well, we have a whole lifetime to know each other better.

"I did all of that because it was you, because I genuinely like you. In fact, I like you a lot," I affirmed, each word carrying the weight of sincerity for her to grasp.

'More than you can imagine!' I added to myself.

Elysia blinked innocently, processing my words. Her face resembled a blank sheet, lips parted slightly, as if she had just received a shocking news of her life, momentarily numbing her senses.

She looked like she might freak out any moment. I wondered how she would react when she learned the whole truth.

Baby steps, Knight! Baby steps...

Taking a deep breath, I continued, "I know you don't see me that way, and I understand you need time. But I want to give this marriage a chance, to start a new beginning with you. I know it won't be easy, but we can try." I carefully studied her reactions before posing the question I had been rehearsing for days. "Are you willing to take this path with me?"

When Elysia met my eyes, a myriad of complicated emotions flowed in those amber hues—shock, disbelief, uncertainty, and perhaps... fear?

"You..." She muttered, trailing off, lowering her gaze to the ground between us. I felt her hands in my grasp, tightened into fists, as she shook her head back and forth in uncertainty, chewing on her bottom lip. "You would not... leave me?" Her voice was barely above a whisper. I noticed her blinking profusely, an attempt to hide the tears that gathered in the corner of her eyes and appear composed in front of me.

I was sure if I wasn't holding her hands firmly, she would have started rubbing her skin as her usual habit.

Her question didn't catch me off guard. Perhaps, if I hadn't known everything about her today, I might have been surprised by her inquiry, but not anymore...

Yet, it felt like a dagger struck my heart, causing it to squeeze painfully at her broken trust, and being one of the reasons behind it...

I withdrew one hand from hers and gently lifted her chin to meet my gaze. "Sweetheart, I've solemnly accepted the responsibility of being your husband before God and in front of your mother. Do you truly believe I would have taken such a significant step with the intention of ever abandoning you later on?" I inquired with utter sincerity.

Forgiveness and trust were two different things. While she had forgiven me, I couldn't say the same about trust...

I understood that things like love and trust takes time, just as I did in getting to know her, understand her, like her and eventually trust her.

I wasn't asking for her trust at the moment. I just needed her to believe me enough to give us a chance.

My gaze remained fixed on hers, desperately praying that she could believe I wouldn't take such a step without careful consideration. "Do you think I would do that, Elysia?" I inquired again as she stayed silent, studying me.

After a few moments of pause, Elysia's expression softened, her guard seemingly lowering as she shook her head slightly in the negative.

I released a breath I hadn't realized I was holding until now, and nervously gulped. A small smile spread across my face as I extended a hand towards her, palm open.

Her gaze moved from my stretched palm back to my eyes and then down to my hand. With a hesitant movement, she gradually raised her hand, placing it on mine.

My smile widened as I held her soft hand in my firm grip, bringing it to my lips and pressing a gentle kiss, not missing the subtle shiver that traveled through her body beneath my lips.

A look of surprise crossed Elysia's face, transforming into a small, shy smile. She averted her gaze from me, prompting a grin to spread across my face in response.

"Shall we go back inside then? I wouldn't want your scary friend to charge at me, thinking I kidnapped you," I remarked lightly, pulling her up and intertwining my fingers with hers as we both stood.

Elysia's smile widened at the mention of Esme, and she shook her head. "Beastie isn't like that."

"Beastie?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow in surprise, as we walked back inside the hospital, her hand still entwined with mine.

Elysia nodded, briefing me about how Esme got her nickname back in school.

This marked our first natural conversation, and undeniably, the most words Elysia had spoken to me since we met again. It was a complete exchange, not just a few words or syllables, excluding the times I had to pull responses from her after annoying her endlessly.

I couldn't take my eyes off her, observing the graceful movements of her lips as she spoke. Her voice, unlike her usual professional and detached tone in the office, wasn't too loud or too low but just medium enough for me to listen and understand.

I could have easily marked this day as one of my best days with Elysia if we hadn't spotted three figures waiting for us in the corridors.

Even after specifically asking them not to visit until Sandra wakes up, my family, being my family, chose not to listen.

Not a single person ever dared to disobey my orders in the office and yet here they were...

My smile faltered for a moment as Grandpa spotted us, breaking my thoughts. "Oh, there is my granddaughter-in-law, Joelle!" He exclaimed in a loud and excited voice as we approached them.

Mom, standing beside him along with Jonathan, turned to us.

"Oh, there you guys are," she said, smiling widely at us before pulling Elysia into a warm hug, causing me to let go of her hand.

My smile softened automatically as Elysia greeted them respectfully and shyly responded to their warm greetings, a hint of pink not leaving her features. Initially, I didn't want them here, thinking Elysia might be overwhelmed, but witnessing her natural ease with them now was a pleasant surprise.

She didn't appear nervous around them, unlike the way she often seemed around me.

In fact, she sounded more confident talking to them than she did with me, leaving me with creases forming on my forehead.

Never in my life did I imagine that one day I would be envious of my own family.

As I reached out to hold Elysia's hand once again, the action was abruptly interrupted by the unexpected intrusion of my grandpa. He guided her towards him, enveloping her in a protective embrace, his words laced with understanding, "Don't worry, child. I know you must be shocked with how things turned out." Elysia responded with a subtle smile, her gaze meeting mine as grandpa gestured towards me, "I know this brat can be a great pain in the ass, so, no need to burden yourself. I'm with you," he declared. My initial smile faltered, replaced by a frozen expression.

I didn't sign up in his plan just to get insulted in front of my wife...

Before I could retort, grandpa continued, and to my dismay, the one person who was supposed to be on my side, Elysia, pressed her lips together, barely suppressing a smile. Amusement danced in her eyes, leaving me bewildered as grandpa added, "And don't you worry about the marriage. He won't be getting a wedding until he learns to be a proper husband."

What?!

I blinked in shock, the words sinking in slowly, as if I had misheard. My lips parted in disbelief, a sense of betrayal by my own grandpa creeping over me. Dumbfounded, I stared at grandpa, my voice finally breaking through the silence, "What does it mean?"

"It means you aren't getting a girl until you learn to pursue a woman in a right manner," grandpa responded matter-of-factly. Jonathan, standing beside him, looked at grandpa in what seemed like realization?

My gaze flickered to Mom, who seemed like she had already known everything, and Elysia...

Well, my own wife appeared to have no intentions of speaking on the matter or taking my side. She silently observed our exchange, but I did catch a mix of relief and something elusive in her eyes, perhaps uncertainty?

Turning back to grandpa, frustration etched into my features, "She is my legally married wife," I declared with unwavering certainty, running a hand through my disheveled hair.

This wasn't the plan!!!!

Grandpa shrugged nonchalantly, "So? Doesn't necessarily mean she would be living with you. Don't you agree, Joelle?" He sought support from my mom, who nodded in affirmation without hesitation.

"Of course, dad!"

Grandpa then turned to Elysia, addressing her directly with the same question. She softly nodded her head, and a smug expression crossed grandpa's face as he looked back at me with a triumphant smirk.

F*ck me!

This is what I get for marrying a woman who obediently follows the directives of her elders.

Instinctively, a scoff escaped my lips as I shifted my gaze from the corridor into the distance. Despite my urge to argue, I restrained myself for Elysia's sake. I had promised to respect her boundaries and wait patiently, but that didn't mean I would yield to everything. The bears in my head turned, formulating a different plan against grandpa.

Spotting Dr. Finn approaching with Esme, diverting grandpa's and others' attention, I swiftly clasped Elysia's hand, pulling her away from grandpa and closer to me. Surprise flickered in her eyes as she glanced back at the ongoing conversation related to Sandra's recovery before turning her attention back to me.

"You did me dirty there, sweetheart," I remarked, leaning against the railings, arms crossed against my chest. "Shouldn't you be on my side?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

Elysia smiled hesitantly, "T-they are elders, and, I mean, they aren't completely wrong," she commented, adding, "Moreover, your family is really sweet." Her smile warmed with the last remark.

I nodded in understanding of her perspective. She needed time to adjust to the idea of our marriage. "Our family," I corrected her, my voice low yet firm, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. She raised her eyebrows momentarily, before realization dawned upon her.

Before she could respond, approaching footsteps caught our attention. My jaw clenched in annoyance as Maron made his way towards us.

Why did everyone have to interrupt our private moments?

"Hi, Elysia! How are you?" Maron waved, stopping in front of us.

"I'm fine, thank you. What happened to your face, Maron?" Elysia responded with visible concern as she noticed injuries on his face—purple eye, bruises on his cheek, busted lips.

I shifted my deadpan glare to Maron, who glanced at me before responding to Elysia, "Nothing much, just a mad dog bit me the other day." His nonchalant tone darkened my gaze even further.

Elysia didn't look like she fully believed him. "Oh, I heard about the marriage, congratulations!" Maron diverted the topic instantly, attempting to hug Elysia. I almost rolled my eyes at his audacity, swiftly pulling Elysia away before he could reach her, and stretched my foot in Maron's way which he noticed at the last moment, causing him to stumble but successfully avoiding the fall.

"F*ck you!" He mouthed at me, cursing under his breath. I was still upset with him for concealing things about Elysia.

"Are you okay?" Elysia looked at him, eyebrows furrowed with worry.

Maron nodded, gritting his teeth while glancing at me. "Don't worry, it's just our way of greeting each other." Confusion spread across Elysia's face.

"He'll survive. Come on, let's check on your mom," I stated, leading Elysia towards the room, a hand on her back, while Maron begrudgingly followed behind us.

After a while, when grandpa, mom, and Maron prepared to leave, I excused myself, informing Elysia before following my grandpa to his car. I was in the middle of conversation with him, when the distinct sound of a bike engine reached my ears, drawing my attention to the hospital's driveway.

Subconsciously, I observed two heavy bikes parking in the corner. A figure in a complete black biker suit dismounted, removing the black helmet and exchanging words with another biker who nodded in response.

As the man turned towards the hospital entrance, my body stiffened, providing me with a clear view of his face and features.

I had anticipated his arrival, but not this soon...

Placing his helmet on the bike, he briskly made his way towards the hospital entrance, wearing deadpan, rather grim expressions.

My fists tightened by my sides as I watched Sven Neve Damaris enter the hospital.

****************

Hey, lovelies! I would love to hear your thoughts about today's chapter...😊

So, Sven is back!! 😎 What do you think gonna happen now? 😉

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

884 22 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
29.1K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
40.9K 3.6K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...
2.2M 73.6K 45
It took every ounce of my willpower not to reciprocate his kiss. Our lips moved in flawless synchrony. I trembled as I felt his tongue tracing my low...