Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

By KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... More

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different

344 19 0
By KageNishi

Mu's ambassador to Japan, Yuuhi, accompanied by a military attaché, paid a visit to Hanai, Director of the Second Civilization Area Bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

After exchanging greetings, they quickly got down to business.

"What brings you here this time?"

Hanai thought it might be a request for the T-4 Kai, but that was only half correct.

"Actually, Mu is considering a military operation in Leifor."

Hanai didn't show it on his face, but he was surprised inwardly.

"I'll let him explain the details."

"Please wait a moment. We will also summon someone knowledgeable in military affairs."

. . .

The military operation by Mu was a retaliation against the Otaheit Air Raid. It aimed to conduct an aerial attack on Leiforia using the Yamuts. It wasn't about bombing something specific; rather, it intended to temporarily seize control of the airspace over Leiforia. At best, it can be viewed as a military deterrent, or at worst, it was an act of spite.

However, the objective of the operation itself was not necessarily bad. It was essential to restrain the Gra Valkan military aircraft that repeatedly violated airspace with impunity. But the timing was too early. The deployment of the Yamut had just begun, and an adequate number was not yet available. While the aircraft could be procured with urging in Japan, the same couldn't be said for the pilots.

. . .

"What will happen to the pilots? I don't think there will be enough of them," asked JASDF Colonel Naitō, who was hastily summoned.

"We plan to shorten the training time for pilots and expedite their development," replied the military attaché. Judging from his expression as he spoke, he himself seemed reluctant.

"I cannot recommend that. It may lead to the unnecessary loss of valuable pilots and aircraft."

"The upper ranks of our air force highly value the performance of the Blue Impulse. If aerobatic pilots could excel to that extent, even pilots with some training deficiencies in combat might—"

"Wait a moment. It seems there's a serious misunderstanding here," Naitō quickly interrupted. "The Blue Impulse pilots are not aerobatic specialists; they are active-duty fighter pilots."

. . .

In the past, the members of the Blue Impulse had fixed positions. However, it is currently organized on a three-year term basis.

The Blue Impulse recruits volunteers from within the squadron and selects new members. The selected members spend the first year entirely dedicated to training. From the second year onward, they engage in aerobatic performances. After three years, they return to their original units from Blue Impulse. The vacancies are then filled by recruiting new volunteers. With this approach, more pilots can experience being part of the Blue Impulse, and pilots can consider participation in Blue Impulse as part of their career development.

. . .

"In other words, the members of the Blue Impulse are selected from pilots who have already undergone considerable combat training and experience."

"...I wasn't aware of that."

The military attaché took a moment to think and then continued, "I will convey this information to our home country. They will likely reconsider the operation."

. . .

Mu's reckless operation reached the Joint Staff Headquarters.

"Why not let them do it?"

Mitsugi's words sounded irresponsible. Perhaps realizing this, he hastily added, "Of course, with the support of the Air Self-Defense Force."

"You want to put our pilots on those T-4 Kai?"

"No, it's support from either the F-15J Kai or F-2."

"Even if Mu goes along with it, I don't see how this will benefit Japan."

"If it's a standalone operation, yes. However, if it's coordinated with other operations, it's a different story."

"Other operations?"

Mitsugi confidently presented his theory.

"The air raid on Valkyries Base."

Mitsuki brought out maps and satellite photos of the Leifor region.

"The Valkyries Base is a Gra Valkan army base. It's evidently a key point aimed at invading Mu's city, Arue. We strike this base preemptively."

"What's the advantage of coordinating?"

"We can use Leiforia as a diversion. The enemy would never expect us to use the old capital as a diversion. Currently, the Gra Valkan Army's Antares fighters have significantly reduced in numbers after the Otaheit Air Raid."

"Even if the number of Antares fighters changed somewhat, I don't think it matters much."

Mitsugi became even more cheerful.

"It's a big deal. Mu will participate in the bombing too."

In the moment of astonishment among those present, Mitsugi continued unfolding his plan.

"First, secure air superiority with the F-15J Kai, then precise bombing of the runway and anti-aircraft positions with the F-2 using LJDAM. After that, let Mu's air force bomb to make the base lose its functionality."

"But air strikes alone will have only a temporary and limited effect. Even if we wanted to do carpet bombing like in Duro, we don't have the BP-3Cs anymore."

"Yes, that's true. From here, it becomes an option, but occupying the base is also a possibility."

People around him looked at him as if he stank, but Mitsugi, oblivious to the skeptical atmosphere, continued.

"We'll have the guests who are currently visiting Narashino showcase the results of their study abroad. If there are concerns, we can involve the 1st Airborne Brigade."

"How about supplies?"

"We are not going to hold the base with the 1st Airborne. Once occupied, we'll promptly send them back home. We can leave the occupation and maintenance of the base to Mu."

Those who heard this thought it was a reckless and irresponsible operational plan.

"Of course, Mu's consent is absolutely necessary."

"Are you planning to cherry-pick the attractive part of the airstrike and delegate the troublesome occupation to Mu?"

"Whether they agree or not depends on Mu. The decision lies with Mu. That's why it's an option."

At that moment, no one believed that Mu would approve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emperor Mirishial VIII finally reviewed the proposed operational plan that had been submitted.

"The three fleets to be deployed are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," replied the Secretary of Defense, Agra, representing the Ministry of Defense.

"I'd like to know the basis for deploying three fleets as a military force."

Agra hesitated in his words. He couldn't simply answer that it was a combination of Kling's proposal of two and Agra's proposal of four divided by 2.

"...Explaining that would take quite a long time..."

"I don't mind. I've been kept waiting for quite a while. I don't care if the explanation is long."

"........."

"What's wrong? Admiral Kling, you're the one in charge, correct? Show us your explanation."

"Well, um..."

The Emperor let out a deep sigh.

"I never thought it would be this way. Was the rumor that the Ministry of Defense was conducting an inconclusive discussion true!?"

"We apologize sincerely!"

First, Secretary of Defense Agra and then Admiral Kling, followed by others from the Ministry of Defense, prostrated themselves before the Emperor.

"We cannot adopt an operational plan that seems to be a simple average! Consider the worst-case scenario and revise it!"

Emperor Mirishial VIII waved his hand and shooed them away. An invisible storm of power blew from his hand, sending the members of the Ministry of Defense flying out of the audience hall.

"Summon Arneus and Hirkane. But hold separate audiences for each," the Emperor commanded his attendants.

. . .

When the Director of the Intelligence Bureau, Arneus, was summoned by the Emperor, he thought the matter would be about Gra Valkas. However, the Emperor inquired about a different country.

"Japan, Your Majesty?"

"Yes. How is the intelligence gathering progressing?"

"We are making good progress. I'll have the documents brought in now."

With just those words, Arneus' subordinates exited the audience room.

Mirishial VIII, satisfied after reviewing the documents brought by Arneus' subordinates, remarked, "You've investigated this thoroughly in a short period."

"As a matter of fact, this information is publicly available within Japan, Your Majesty."

A crease appeared on the Emperor's forehead.

"What? Is Japan disclosing details even about the performance of its weapons?"

"Yes. It seems that the brochure specifications of weapons are not really important for Japan. What matters more is the manufacturing and operational methods."

The wrinkles on the Emperor's forehead deepened.

"So, they're saying, 'Try to imitate if you can.'"

Arneus hesitated for a moment but decided to convey the truth to the Emperor.

"Unfortunately, our country's magic technology cannot create anything comparable to Japan's weapons. For example, the Type 10 tank. With our lightning-powered rotary magical engine, we cannot generate the output needed to move this vehicle."

"Hmm."

The Emperor grunted, but he didn't show any further reaction.

"Have we obtained information about the Gra Valkas Empire from Japan?"

"Yes. I showed you a map before, but this time, I've acquired a map with place names."

Arneus presented the latest map.

"Is Japan also disclosing this map publicly?"

"No. This one is indeed confidential. To obtain it, we made a deal with Japan's intelligence agency."

"What did you give in return?"

"A lightning-powered rotary magical engine. They said they use it to power the lightning rods at their embassies and consulates. It seems Japan uses lightning power instead of magic."

Mirishial VIII had a realization.

"So, the true nature of the magical light in guided magic bullets is lightning?"

"It seems so. Japanese people call it 'radio waves' rather than lightning."

"...I see."

"Your Majesty?"

"It's nothing. You may leave now."

. . .

When Hirkane Parpe, the Director of the Ancient Superweapons Analysis and Tactical Operations Department, was summoned by the Emperor, he thought the matter would be about the progress of the analysis of the maritime fortress Pal Cowne. However, the Emperor asked about something different.

"Is the flying battleship Pal Chimera ready for launch?"

Hirkane couldn't believe his ears.

"Unfortunately, Your Majesty, only seven Pal Chimera have been discovered, and only five of them are operational."

"Meaning, a maximum of five can sortie."

"But we haven't analyzed all of the Pal Chimera yet, and if we lose them, there is no way to recover it. Please reconsider."

"I understand that. I had thought that unless the survival of the nation was at stake, there would be no need to use them."

An ominous thought crossed Hirkane's mind.

"No, could it be that the Empire is in danger..."

"We haven't reached that point yet. But there are signs."

Hirkane tensely awaited the Emperor's next words.

"I've instructed the Ministry of Defense to devise a punitive strategy against the Gra Valkas Empire, and they came up with something utterly useless."

The conversation suddenly turned into a complaint, leaving Hirkane bewildered.

"It's displaying arrogance. Indeed, the Empire is powerful. But it's too powerful."

"Is being strong a bad thing?"

"It's good for the nation. But for the world, it's not."

The conversation suddenly escalated from complaints to a larger scale, and Hirkane couldn't keep up.

"What is the significance of the Holy Mirishial Empire's existence?"

Is this now a philosophical question? Hirkane thought desperately.

"...To nourish the citizens and ensure their safety?"

"That applies to every nation. That you would forget the mission given only to our country..."

Hirkane remembered his job.

"I apologize! It is to vanquish the revived Ravernal Empire."

Mirishial VIII nodded solemnly.

"The Empire was born from the desire to save the world from the ancient sorcerous empire, the enemy of all races."

"Then by signs, could it be related to the spatial divination?"

"Not only that."

Mirishial VIII waved his hand over a pearl on the side table. Immediately, a maid appeared with a cup and placed it carefully on the side table. After taking a sip of tea from the cup, Mirishial VIII continued.

"Our country is strong. It is the result of the unwavering efforts of the people. In that regard, I do not intend to belittle anyone. However, due to overwhelming other countries, there is arrogance towards them."

Hirkane also had a feeling about that.

"I apologize!"

"There's no need to apologize. What angers me is the Ministry of Defense. They do not understand the danger of the Gra Valkas Empire. They are invaders from another world who not only disregard spatial divination and the ancient sorcerous empire but also conspire to destroy the world order. They must be defeated without fail."

"...Then, for that purpose?"

"The enemy annihilated the 0th Magic Fleet. They are by no means opponents to be underestimated."

Hirkane's mouth also became dry. However, the maid who brought tea was not present for him.

"I understand. I will ensure that all Pal Chimera are maintained and ready for deployment."

"I'm counting on you. You may leave now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you serious?"

Naitō, who had received a positive response from Mu regarding Mitsugi's proposal, couldn't help but ask.

"Yes. After considering it in the homeland, we've determined that occupying the Valkyries Base has strategic value."

"But even if you can temporarily occupy it, can you maintain it?"

The Muish military attaché grinned. He pointed to satellite photos from the Japanese side.

"Actually, these mountains are called the Hollow Mountains, and they are hollow inside. You can travel in an almost straight line from our Ryusei Base to here by vehicle."

"...Color me surprised."

"I'm sure that even Japanese satellites would not have been able to see to that extent."

He seemed to have accumulated astonishment from being constantly surprised by Japan. The military attaché appeared relieved.

"As for the supply route to the Valkyries Base, Gra Valkas has considerably developed it from the base to the border area. Our country won't take much time to develop it either."

Although the military attaché didn't say it out loud, defending Arue was not only a military but also a social necessity. The Muish government had been urging Arue's citizens to evacuate, but most of the citizens had not responded. If there were casualties among Arue's citizens, the Muish government would face public criticism.

"A moment, please. I will call someone from the Ground Self-Defense Force."

The conversation continued as GSDF Colonel Nakamura and Mitsugi from the Joint Staff joined.

"If you intend to maintain control of the base, you'll need a means to counter enemy armored forces."

While saying this, the military attaché took out photos of the Gra Valkas Empire's Army tanks.

"This looks just like the Chi-Ha (Type 97 medium tank)," Nakamura exclaimed in surprise.

"Chi-Ha?"

"It's a tank from the old Japanese Army's era. I'll show you the catalog specifications later."

"Thank you very much."

"The current anti-tank weapons are sufficient for a response against the likes of Chi-Ha. The recoilless gun is enough."

Mitsugi spoke up. "Unlike Kawasaki with the T-4, Hōwa will respond to increased production of the recoilless gun."

The military attaché was not a foolish advocate of war. He had studied the equipment of the JGSDF.

"A recoilless gun should be able to destroy tanks, but wouldn't it have a short range?"

"We can provide know-how about anti-tank positions on our part," Nakamura suggested.

Thus, the conversation progressed, evolving into a large-scale operation seeking participation from countries in the Second Civilization Area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caesar couldn't do without stomach medicine anymore. Today, too, news of the Cetus-class boat being missing reached him.

'It seems Japan has seriously started submarine hunting. We might have to give up on the Third Civilization Area and retreat to the Central World.'

Caesar took a brand-new order book. But what he wanted was a map. Still no landing point in sight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162K 5.8K 91
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
1.2M 51.6K 98
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
275K 6.6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
374K 6.2K 79
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...