Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 56

273 14 9
By arlenerae

Ares Simon's POV:

Leaning against the cold hospital wall, my eyes meticulously tracked her every movement from the hallway as she rose from her seat, dropping the pen and hurried towards the door.

I straightened up, the cold metal of the door responding to a swift knock, and I pulled it open. Her steps abruptly halted upon meeting me, her head snapping up, gaze rising to meet mine.

An audible gasp escaped her lips, eyes widening like saucers, locked in an unblinking gaze with mine.

I absorbed the sight of her petite figure as she stood before me, barely reaching my upper torso. She adorned a quarter-sleeved navy blue frock, a blend of silk and velvet, gracefully cascading down her knees, paired with simple black slippers. Her complexion appeared pale, while her amber eyes were puffy and slightly reddening, a result of restraint and a lack of sleep. The natural rosy hue of her lips had faded, leaving them pale, raw, and swollen due to the continuous anxious biting she had been engaged in for the past thirty minutes.

Elysia blinked twice with a subtle shake of her head, before her eyes met mine again. Another small gasp escaped her lips, a realization dawning that I was indeed standing right in front of her. Slipping my hands inside the pants pockets, I observed calmly as various shades of disbelief flickered across her face.

In shock, I presumed, and frankly, it was valid...

"Mrs. Elysia Ares Knight," I began in a low voice so only she could hear, intentionally emphasizing each word. "Please step aside. I would like to see my mother-in-law." My eyebrows raised in interest when Elysia's lips parted further at my words, forming a small 'o'. Yet, she remained frozen, staring at me in disbelief.

Observing her reluctance to move, I inclined my head, maintaining our unwavering eye contact. Slowly nearing her ear, I whispered, "Sweetheart, you have a whole life to stare at me, but right now, your mother is waiting. So, shall we?"

Elysia's eyes widened further if it was even possible. She looked like she couldn't believe what I just said. Her pale complexion transformed into a darker shade of red, the plum under her eyes turning crimson, reaching down her nose, cheeks and neck. Amusement flickered in my eyes as I observed her reaction, though I kept my expressions composed.

When she abruptly stepped back in a haste, I instinctively reached for her small waist, placing a steadying hand on her back to prevent any stumble or collision with the wall due to her clumsiness.

"Careful," I said, holding her.

We really need to work on her clumsy actions...

Four days, seven hours, fifteen minutes and thirty seconds as of now...

The excruciating wait over these past few days felt like a torment for me, missing her to no end. The yearning grew more intense with each passing second – a desperate need to see her, feel her presence, and have her close.

As the subtle essence of jasmine intertwined with the faint citrus notes of her shampoo surrounded me, I resisted the overpowering desire to pull her into my embrace right then and there.

A shiver ran through her body beneath my touch, mirroring the tremor within me. My surprised gaze met hers, searching her beautiful amber eyes, wondering if I had the same effect on her as she had on me.

The rapid thud of her heart echoed in our close proximity. At that moment, my self-control that I had always been so proud of, wavered violently, and she hadn't even done anything yet.

'Bravo, Knight, Bravo!' a sarcastic voice in my mind applauded.

"Oh, he's already here," Jonathan, our family's oldest butler, announced from inside the room upon seeing me at the doorway.

The bubble around us burst with his voice, and the reality of the situation hit me. Ignoring the countless tingles lingering on my skin, I slowly withdrew my hand from her back, lingering for a moment before finally releasing her.

Stepping into the room, I passed by Elysia but halted after a step, glancing back at her motionless and dazed figure.

My gaze softened at her condition. On my way here from the airport, I was genuinely upset. How could she agree to marry a stranger?

Yet, now, facing her, with those weary eyes and pale appearance, my anger dissipated instantly.

I took a step back, reaching for Elysia's hand, and softly intertwined our fingers, my warm hand clasping her cold one firmly by my side. She looked at me in shock, but allowing me to lead her.

As we approached Sandra's bed, Elysia's expressions remained bewildered, yet she didn't pull her hand away. A small smile played on my lips as we greeted Sandra.

"Good morning, Mrs. Lawson!" I said, Elysia standing beside me. Sandra beamed at us, her eyes briefly flickering to our entwined hands before she stretched her arms.

Leaning forward, I lowered my head to Sandra's level. She planted a gentle kiss on my forehead. "I told you, just call me mom; you're family now," she said with a wide smile.

My smile grew at her warm welcome. "Sure, Mom!" I responded, gently guiding Elysia forward for Sandra's blessing.

Sandra kissed Elysia's forehead, all the while beaming at both of us. Intentionally ignoring the chilly glare from across the room, I sat, guiding Elysia to the seat beside me. We engaged in conversation with Sandra for a while.

Glancing at Elysia from time to time, I noticed her staring at our signed matrimonial papers and our intertwined hands, wearing a somewhat disconnected expression, as if lost in her thoughts.

I knew we needed to have a serious conversation but, I was trying to delay it, wanting to wait for the right moment or until my wife's initial shock subsided.

My wife...

My Elysia...

Those words felt so new, yet so natural; so right, so calming and just... so mine.

When it was about time for Sandra's surgery, Dr. Finn and the staff arrived to check on her. I sensed Elysia's instant reaction beside me; her body tensed, and she instinctively pulled her hand away from mine, fidgeting with the right side of her neck and ear.

Her actions screamed anxiety and distress, manifested in the continuous rubbing of her skin and the subtle adjustments to her clothes.

Before I could respond, Sandra's voice cut through the tension. "Ely, come here!" she called.

Elysia stood up promptly, taking a seat beside Sandra on the hospital bed. Sandra reassured her, whispering things to her but my attention lingered on Elysia's overwhelmed state. She appeared scared, panicked, vulnerable, and helpless, with unshed tears pooling in her light amber eyes. My heart ached, knowing there was little I could do to ease her pain.

I glanced at Dr. Finn, signaling him to step outside with me. We exited the room, granting them some much-needed privacy.

I was discussing surgery details with Dr. Finn in the corridor when the door behind us swung open, and Esme emerged, halting in front of me.

Sighing silently, I excused myself from Dr. Finn and turned to face Esme. "Alright, shoot your questions," I said calmly, folding my arms across my chest.

"Did you enjoy that?" Esme inquired, her voice icy and mocking. I furrowed my eyebrows at her words. "Worrying her to no end, thinking she was marrying a stranger, when it was you behind everything." She glared at me, hands tucked into her hoodie pockets.

"I had my reasons, Vasquez!" I retorted, my own tone growing cold. I knew this wasn't the ideal way, but I literally had no choice.

Marrying her in a hospital wasn't my plan. I never envisioned such a scenario, but circumstances had led me to make choices that I might regret in the future. Yet, if there was one decision I'd never regret, it was marrying Elysia.

"I don't freaking care about your reasons, Knight! You deceived her, trapped her, and who knows what else you've done behind her back." Esme's sharp tone clenched my jaw, and my cold brown eyes met her icy silver ones.

If she knew what else had I done, Elysia would never...

"I have no idea what you're talking about. My grandpa and mom arranged our marriage, and I just respected their wishes," I replied, glaring back.

That was partly true; fate was on my side for the first time, but she didn't need to know everything.

Esme scoffed instantly, raising an eyebrow at me. "Respecting wishes? Your actions speak otherwise..."

My temper flared at her mocking tone. 'Calm down, Knight! Think about Elysia; she wouldn't appreciate you sending her friend to the other corner of this world.' I reminded myself, glancing inside the room briefly before refocusing on Esme.

"Listen up, Vasquez! I'm not obligated to explain my actions to you. And as far as Elysia is concerned, she is my wife now. I know I've made plenty of stupid mistakes in the past but if you thought I'd let her marry a stranger or anyone else for that matter without intervening, then you've got another thing coming. I'm not the kind of man who holds someone's hand without thinking. So, if I held her hand, it's not for a moment or two but for a lifetime," I stated, through gritted teeth. Even a thought of Elysia with someone else stirred something so dark inside me that I still didn't know how to control yet.

If she had already seen through my facade, denying was futile. Besides, Esme held significant importance for Elysia, so whether I wanted or not, I was answerable to her. In a way, she was family to Elysia, and for that reason, I considered her part of my family too. That's the only way I can fix things with Elysia.

Esme remained silent for a moment, her gaze fixed on me with a discerning glare before she stepped back, but I caught a ghost of a smile lingering on her lips for a brief moment, surprising me.

Had I gained her approval?

"I would never hurt her, Esme!" I added truthfully, this time in a calm voice.

Esme turned her head to look at me, her cold gaze unwavering but not as hostile as before. "You better not, Knight. Otherwise, you wouldn't live long enough to rectify the situation. As you already know, I don't do empty threats."

While I should have been offended by her words, as it was a clear warning, but instead, I felt happy to know that Elysia wasn't alone all these years. She had a genuine friend by her side, someone who wouldn't let her down.

Though I still couldn't wrap my head around their unmatched friendship, but I let it be for now.

I gave Esme a firm nod, unfazed by her warning glare.

"Everything is ready, Mr. Knight!" Dr. Finn's voice echoed from behind as he approached us with a file in his hand.

We both turned to him, and I nodded, following him inside the room where Elysia clung to Sandra, refusing to let go as if her life depended on it. Nurses and other doctors were waiting patiently beside them.

Sandra looked at me helplessly, tears welling up in her eyes, a sad smile on her face. This was likely what she meant when she entrusted Elysia to me.

I couldn't believe how Sandra could trust me with something that even I had doubts about.

Approaching them, I gently held Elysia's shaking shoulders, my thumb softly stroking circles on her arms. "Sweetheart, it's time for her surgery. You should let go. You can spend all the time with her after her surgery, hm?"

Elysia's head snapped towards me, her bloodshot eyes meeting mine, panic washing over her delicate features as she tightened her hold on Sandra.

Keeping my eyes fixed on her, I reached for her hand, giving her a reassuring look. "It's okay, you can let go. She will be completely fine. I promise you, everything is going to be alright."

Elysia's lips wobbled slightly, tears welling up in her eyes, but she listened to me, gradually loosening her hold. I immediately clasped her hand in mine, pulling her against my chest and wrapping an arm around her waist, signaling the staff to proceed.

We followed as they pushed Sandra's stretcher, and when they were about to enter the operation theatre, Elysia's hold on my sleeve tightened, and she tried to let go of my hand again. It was clear she was imagining absurd scenarios in that pretty head of hers.

"Look at me, Elysia," I demanded in a low and firm voice. When she raised her head, meeting my gaze, I queried, "Have you ever seen me breaking a promise?"

Her eyebrows furrowed at my question, thinking for a while before she shook her head in the negative. We had misunderstandings about each other, arguments, and I had disappointed her many times. Even our new relationship was hanging by a very thin thread at this moment. However, one thing was clear in the months since we had met again: she still looked up to me for guidance, just like she did in the past, though it was always studies, then work and now it was life.

I reached out, wiping the corner of her eyes, and nodded, "I'm promising you that your mom is going to be alright. I won't let anything happen to her, okay?"

Elysia searched my eyes as if she was trying to read me, to find the sincerity in my words. I kept wiping away the silent tears that rolled down her cheeks.

The lost look in her eyes and those tears inflicted a kind of torture on me that nothing else in this world could.

When I met Sandra last week, I didn't initially understand what she meant about Elysia being really weak about her, but now, after the events of the past four days, I comprehended her concerns, and I could see it now.

I really should thank Grandpa for this. If not for him and Mom, I would never be able to be by Elysia's side like I am right now.

After a while of confirming my words, Elysia finally nodded her head in affirmation. I smiled at her innocent features and said, "That's it then. Just a few hours of wait and we can put this all past us, alright?"

Elysia nodded again, still looking at me with her wide eyes. None of us talked about the papers she signed or our new relationship. I figured she needed time to process everything, and right now, her main concern was Sandra.

I guided her towards the vacant seats, sitting beside her, noticing Esme already sitting opposite us.

Now that Elysia was calm, my mind traveled back to the other issue. She hadn't said a word to me, but I knew I had to answer her questions once her head is cleared from worry.

Just two months ago, I would never have imagined that I would be marrying Elysia Lawson, but here I was, thanks to Grandpa and his silly plans.

Ah, not silly actually!

It all started two weeks ago when I met my grandpa...

*****************

Now, Now... Thoughts, lovelies?!

Is this a calm before storm? 👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 2.3K 48
❝ I love to hate you; because if I don't, then I will hate to love you. ❞ (PLEASE note that this was my first work and is unedited. I've greatly matu...
300K 5.8K 53
Mea Savanna, strong, caring and bold. Dropping out of college wasn't in her to do list but after her mother's death; everything went down hell. She d...
29.1K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
333K 12.4K 80
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...