The Pyre for a hero

By Sephyrax

Shaera Arryn x Daemon Targaryen. The realms desire and the Rogue prince was the love story that everybody wan... More

characters
It all begins with Fire and Blood.
Rhaenyra
Returns and Losses.
Sorrows and goodbyes
Disgraced
unequal heartache
weddings and funerals
Adomania
A calm before the storm.
Long Awaited
Growing hatred
proceedings and grievences
Never-ending divide
Death becomes him
Characters
Grave Mistake
Death once more
unfair judgement
divine conflict
Decisions and prospects
beginning of death and suffering
Civil war
New Characters
Given your past, I should have known better
The butchers ball
Fall of Dragonstone
Aren't we all sinners?
Appendages
escape
Geros ilas mandia
Harrenhal
reconcile
The end is near
One step closer
Battle above the Gods eye
love, hate and suffering

Driftmark

1.9K 60 0
By Sephyrax

It had been a few years since Daemon and Shaera wed, they had been on Dragonstone except for when their presence was required in Kings Landing. With the privacy, they were able to avoid certain responsibilities. They had twin daughters in the time, Aemma and Alyssa. They were five namedays old when Shaera introduced them to Rhaenyra and Viserys. Two years later, they received news of Laena's death. Lord Benton could not choose between Laena and the babe whilst she was in labour so she went to Vhagar. Her dragon stayed loyal to her commands and burned her, despite hesitating. Laenor was broken at the death of his sister.

They all traveled to Driftmark for the funeral. Shaera went to offer her condolences to Rhaenys, Corlys, Baela and Rhaena whilst Daemon stood off to the side. Vaemond Velaryon spoke at the funeral, his harsh words against Rhaenyra's sons was evident especially with Harwin's tall figure stood behind Rhaenyra.  Laena's coffin was pulled into the water, her body put to rest in the haven. Viserys approached his brother, unspoken words went between them until the king spoke.

"Your girls are beautiful, congratulations brother. I am glad to see you after these many cruel years",

"It seems they have been especially cruel to you".

"Daemon", Shaera scolded walking over.

"My flame", He kissed her temple.

"Tis nice to see you Viserys, I just wish it were under more positive pretences",

"Indeed Shaera, the keep is quieter without you".

~
Upon nightfall, Daemon and Shaera were walking on the beach whilst others were abed.

"I have something to tell you, dear husband",

"What is it?".

"I am with child. I felt ill so I went to the maester who confirmed it".

He stood silently before lifting her in his arms, Daemon set her back on her feet before kissing her deeply. He lifted her, her legs wrapped around his torso as he laid her on the Driftwood that lay on the beach. They undress each other in a hurry, Daemon's hand carressed her stomach that would soon swell with their third child. He entered her before moving his hips against hers. Shaera moaned as she held the back of his head, his hair had begun to grow longer again. If they had not been distracted they would have heard Vhagar's loud roar in the distance. When they stopped, a commotion could be heard. They rushed inside to check on their girls who were fine. Shaera went over to Rhaenys and checked on Laena's daughters who were angry but physically uninjured. She then went over to Rhaenyra's children, Luce had a broken nose but was otherwise alright. Shaera gasped at Aemond's eye. Her and Alicent may have had a strained relationship but Shaera did not resent the queen nor did Alicent despise the realms desire. 

"What happened?", She asked. All the children began to speak at once but were silenced by Viserys' booming voice.

"He attacked Baela!",
"He stole Vhagar!",
"He broke Luce's nose!",
"They attached me!".

"Silence!".

"What is there to know, your son has been maimed and her son is responsible",

"It was a regrettable accident".

"An accident? The Prince Lucerys brought a blade to the ambush, he meant to kill my son!",

"It is my sons who were attacked and forced to defend themselves, vile insults were levied against them".

"What insults?",

"The legitimacy of my sons birth was put loudly to question". The people around looked from Rhaenyra to Ser Harwin then back to the looming tension in the room.

"He called us bastards", Jace spoke up.

"My sons are in line to inherit the Iron Throne your grace, this is the highest of treasons. Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned as to where he heard such slanders",

"Tis quite obvious where he heard it". Alyssa whispered to herself. Daemon and Shaera's daughters were highly intelligent for being only seven namedays old.

"Over an insult? My son has lost an eye".

"And yet he is smiling about insulting his kin, your grace", Alyssa added from beside her mother. Everybody could see her similarities to Daemon who hummed at his daughters words.

"You tell me boy, where did you hear this lie?",

"The insult is training yard bluster, the lot of boys it was nothing".

"Aemond, I asked you a question",

"Where is Ser Laenor? I wonder, the boys father perhaps he might have something to say on the matter ".

"Yes, where is Ser Laenor",

"I do not know your grace, I could not find sleep. I had gone out to walk". What Rhaenyra didn't admit was that she was Harwin.

"Entertaining his young squires i would venture",

"I hold no ill will against you for being angry about the seriousness of the injury but do not speak atrocities against Laenor", Shaera spoke. Rhaenys and Corlys were grateful for getting the focus off of their remaining child. 

"Your king demands an answer. Who spoke these lies to you",

"It was Aegon".

"Me?". Viserys walked over to Aegon.

"And you boy, where did you hear of such calumnies? Aegon, tell me the truth of it ",

"We know father, everyone knows. Just look at them".

A silence washed over the room, everybody feared the reaction of those in the room.

"This interminable infighting must cease! All of you! We are family, now make your apologies and show good will to one another. Your father, your grandsire, your king demands it",

"That is insufficient. Aemond has been damaged permanently my king, good will cannot make him whole".

"I know Alicent, but I cannot restore his eye",

"No because it has been taken".

"What you have me do?",

"There is a debt to be paid. I shall have one of her sons eyes in return".

"My dear wife",

"He is your son Viserys, your blood".

"As Rhaenyra is his daughter, you seem to forget that my queen", Shaera intervened.

"Do not allow your temper to guide your judgement".

"If the king will not seek justice, the queen will. Ser Criston, bring me the eye of Lucerys Velaryon. He can choose which eye to keep, a privilege he did not grant  my son",

"Stay your hand",

"No, you are sworn to me".

"As your protector my queen",

"Only?", Alyssa spoke as Aemma hushed her twin as Shaera held their hands.

"Alicent, this matter is finished. Do you understand?".

More silence, nobody dare speak out until Viserys spoke again.

"Let it be known that anyone whose tongue dares question the birth of Princess Rhaenyra's sons should have it removed",

"Thank you, father".

The Queen could not believe the audacity of Rhaenyra so she took matters upon herself. She went up to Viserys and grabbed his dagger, wielding it like a mad woman as she went for Lucerys. Shaera was crossing the room to get to Rhaenyra but was intercepted by Criston but he was no match for Harwin who grabbed him and launched him to where Daemon was standing. Both men held the spiteful Knight whilst watching the scene before them. The twins ran over to Rhaenys as they saw Shaera grab Alicent's arm from behind. Shaera rounded to the front and helped Rhaenyra hold Alicent in place.

"Stop this, you have gone too far",

"I? What have I done but what was expected of me?".

"You have cracked under the pressures of being queen", Shaera spoke.

"Where is honour? Where is duty? Where is sacrifice?  It is trampled under your pretty foot again",

"Exhausting isn't it? Hiding beneath the cloak of your own righteousness, but now they see you as you are".

"What would the faith of the seven say of you if they could see you threatening a child".

Alicent forced the blade down, it would have cut Rhaenyra's arm had Shaera not caught it in her fist as it fell from Alicent's grasp. Her blood spilled to the floor as the queen stepped back. Corlys caught Rhaenyra who was pushed back in the commotion whilst Daemon went over to Shaera, who stood glaring at the queen.

"Do not mourn me mother, I may have lost an eye but I gained a dragon",

"You lost an eye but your mother lost her sanity", Aemma spoke up after sitting silent but seeing her mother hurt twisted the fiery anger inside her.

~
The next morn, Shaera was having her hand stitched by a maester.

"Your hand will scar but luckily Valyrian steel cuts clean",

"What am I to say, how reassuring?".

Rhaenyra, Harwin, Laenor and the children entered as Shaera's hand was bandaged.

"Aunt Shaera. I apologise for this, tis all my fault",

"Nonsense dearest, I can handle a cut knowing you are and the children did not suffer at her hand".

Then Daemon stormed in with Aemma and Alyssa.

"Mother",

"My flame". Daemon assessed the damage with a scowl at the thought of how the queen had gotten away unpunished.

"I have come to a decision.  Nyra, I offer you and your family to reside on Dragonstone with us but I would not want Viserys to be left alone in their grasp nor would I want you to lose your stature as heir so you must ensure you regularly visit Kings landing",

"Thank you Aunt Shaera",

"Of course. I wish to speak as adults so might I suggest the boys go say their goodbyes to their grandsire. You aswell my little loves, your father and I will find you when we are to leave".

The children left as the adults remained.

"Now we are alone, I am glad the walls of High tide do not have eyes and ears like Kings Landing so I wish to let you know that the invitation extends to all of you. Laenor, you may being Ser Quarl and you are welcome also Ser Harwin",

"Thank you Lady Shaera", they spoke.

Shaera Arryn was able to warm the hearts of all, the gratitude that all felt was overwhelming for her. Rhaenyra was glad that she had Shaera. She often found herself trying to remember her mother but was clouded with memories of Shaera who stepped up as a parent when Viserys pushed her away after Aemma died.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 8.7K 91
It was no surprise to anyone that Viserys loved his baby sister Avalon. What was a surprise was how much Alicent found she liked Avalons company as...
198K 7.3K 18
"Give the girl to me to wife. Who else would take her now?" The Rogue Prince was able to take what he desired, and is given the Snow Dragon to marry...
5.9K 142 5
Aemond falls in love with his cousin Visenya at first sight, but Daemon stands in his way. Will the rivalry of the blacks and greens keep them apart...
3.6K 68 13
Ysaera Targaryen the sister of Viserys Targaryen, King of the seven realm and Prince Deamon Taragaryen, the Rouge Prince. With the tables turning...