Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

By KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... More

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit

432 19 0
By KageNishi

The Beta formation's Antares fighters believed to have turned to cover the Grade Atlastar were engaged in combat with the wyverns of the Nigrat Union.

The Nigrat Union intercepted manacomm transmissions between the SDF, the Cartalpas Base, and the wind dragon riders. While the wyvern carrier of the Nigrat Union was pursuing the Grade Atlastar, it succeeded in relaunching the wyverns by taking advantage of the southern wind after they landed on the ship. In contrast, the Muish Marins, which had fought against the Grade Atlastar once, faced delays in aircraft maintenance, resulting in a slightly delayed launch.

The 64 wyverns of the Nigrat Union formed a formation and confronted the Antares charging at low altitude. The four Nigrat Union wyvern carriers carried 16 wyverns per ship. A normal wyvern carrier can only carry 10 to 12 wyverns. However, the newest dragon carrier brought to the venue succeeded in carrying up to 16 wyverns by putting the wyverns in hibernation during transport. In return, they can't scramble. It takes time to wake up hibernating wyverns. However, this was not necessary this time since they had already launched once.

They were highly motivated. If Japan could smackdown the enemy fighters without effort, they believed so could they. Such was their belief. They knew that the Holy Mirishial Empire's Elpacio 3 had unilaterally lost, but it was under overwhelmingly unfavorable conditions with a force ratio of 1:5. However, the current force ratio was 3:1, and moreover, Mu's planes were waiting as reinforcements. It was a sufficient condition to believe "we can win this."

"Fool. Coming all the way to invade the disadvantageous low altitude. We'll shower them with simultaneous shots of fireballs!"

Under the command of the wyvern formation leader, all 64 wyverns charged flames in their mouths. It resembled a miniature version of the Battle of Esthirant.

"Draw them in. Not yet... now!"

As they passed each other, the wyverns fired. The curtain of flames was supposed to hit the Antares fighters on a course of direct impact.

"What!?"

The riders were shocked. The Antares in front of the wyverns performed an unexpectedly steep climb. It evaded not only the fireballs but also the wyverns. The Antares fighters maintained the formation flight and executed an Immelmann turn. Before they knew it, the wyverns found themselves dominated by the Antares in the rear upper space. The tables turned in an instant.

"What kind of climbing power was that!?"

The riders were amazed. However, they couldn't afford to be amazed forever.

. . .

"The lizards seem shocked," murmured an Antares pilot while flying upside down, looking down at the enemies below. In the next moment, the Antares began a rapid descent, closing in on the wyverns.

The Gra Valkan pilots had established countermeasures against the wyverns. Simply performing horizontal maneuvers at low speed would put them at a disadvantage even against them. Against wyverns with a top speed inferior to their own, a hit-and-run tactic mixing in vertical maneuvers proved effective.

By adding the speed gained from a rapid dive to their original top speed, the Antares approached the wyverns at an unavoidable speed. They showered the wyverns with machine gun fire at a guaranteed distance, hitting or missing, and then swiftly withdrew at a speed that the wyverns couldn't catch up with. In an instant, twenty wyverns died. The initial force ratio of 3:1 had quickly shrunk to 2:1 after the first strike.

. . .

"Dammit!"

The wyvern riders gritted their teeth. They realized that Japan, which had almost perfectly shot down that thing a hundred times, was anything but normal. Unfortunately, it was too late.

One wyvern panicked, starting to flee on its own.

. . .

"When you ride on a lizard, it seems your head becomes as reptilian as theirs... Huh!?"

The leader of the Antares formation noticed the fleeing wyvern. Perhaps there was a chance with this. He ordered his wingmen, "Numbers 2 through 4, follow me. The rest, deal with the lizards as usual."

He led three of his wingmen to pursue the fleeing wyvern.

"Captain, what's your plan?"

"That lizard is heading north. If things go well, it might lead us along. Where to, you ask? Toward the bay where the Japanese fleet is stationed. Maybe they'll hesitate to attack us for fear of a friendly fire."

A beat.

"In any case, we're expendable motherfuckers anyway. So why not try putting cannon rounds into something bigger than lizards and biplanes?"

His subordinates responded with action rather than words. They maneuvered to drive the wyvern northward.

. . .

"Beta is in combat with the wyverns of the Nigrat Union."

Reports came up to the CIC and FIC of the Hyūga.

"They are currently engaged in a dogfight. There's a risk of friendly fire if this continues."

Samejima stared at the radar screen.

"This is the case I feared."

"In this situation, the only option is to deploy fighters for a gunfight."

The fleet staff agreed.

"At this point, we have no other choice but to rely on outside help."

Prompted by the fleet staff, Samejima pressed the manacomm's pre-talk switch.

"Wind dragon commander, the wyverns of the Nigrat Union are fighting against the enemy fighters. There's a danger of friendly fire with our weapons. Can you please disengage their forces?"

"Hm, we will do our best. But I cannot promise more than that."

"That is enough."

Samejima released his finger from the switch.

"Why don't you ask the Muish to do the same?"

In response to the fleet staff's question, Samejima grimaced.

"Those Marins won't even scratch the Zero lookalikes. It might even worsen the situation. Whether to deploy the Marins or not is a decision that must be left to Mu's headquarters."

No one raised objections to this.

"Commander, one wyvern is in full retreat. It's being chased by four enemy aircraft."

Samejima wondered what the significance of that was, but when he looked at the radar screen, he understood the situation.

"...Are they planning to approach the fleet using a friendly as a shield?"

"What will you do by then?"

"Human shields don't work on the battlefield."

"But it might become a problem."

"Is this a repeat of the Fenn incident?"

"We still don't know what ethical standards the Nigrat Union has."

Samejima sighed.

"It could become a diplomatic issue... That's something for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to handle. The field will act based on its own judgment. If, at worst, the fleet's losses can be avoided at the cost of my head, it's a small price to pay. Don't fire the SAMs, but keep the CIWS online."

Samejima pressed the manacomm's switch again.

"This is the Japanese fleet commander. To the wyvern approaching our fleet too closely. If you come within 2 kilometers, we will attack enemy fighters in self-defense. There's a risk of friendly fire. Break away from the enemy or our fleet immediately. Repeat, break away from the enemy or our fleet immediately," Samejima said, lifting his finger.

"What about the wind dragon riders?"

"They are heading towards us, but they won't make it in time."

Samejima sighed again.

"We've done everything we can. Now, all that's left is to see how the dice roll."

. . .

The outcome was the worst for Escort Flotilla 0. The wyvern that led the enemy came within 2 kilometers of the fleet. The CIWS of each escort ship automatically responded, intercepting the wyvern and the Antares fighters. Although they successfully shot down all the planes, a stray round from the Antares' 20 mm autocannons hit the Hyūga. The displays in the CIC and FIC of the ship went haywire. Samejima, realizing what had happened, commanded, "Force-close the X-OS."

The displays quickly recovered.

"Damage report."

At the order of the captain, an immediate response came back.

"This is the bridge. We were hit by several gunfire rounds. The SPY is damaged, the air control is inoperable, and there are several holes in the windows, but the bridge is intact. One lightly wounded."

"Hurry with the recovery operations and first aid for the injured."

"Understood, currently in progress."

Everyone in the CIC was unsure how to react. The damage was not negligible. All the additional equipment for testing had become useless. However, human casualties were minimal, and the Hyūga's capabilities were not entirely compromised. Except for the removed VLS, it had returned to its pre-refit state. But getting hit by stray rounds was just unfortunate. Should they lament that misfortune, or should they be relieved that there was no significant harm?

"Damn it. They got us," Samejima's voice was strangely throaty. "It was close to sending my men to Yasukuni."

This voice was entirely inconsistent with the nonchalant image he had maintained until then. The surroundings were bewildered.

"Captain, gather smoke canisters."

The sudden instruction also puzzled the captain.

"Smoke canisters? Why?"

"If possible, black ones, but somewhat colorful is fine too. The Mirishial cruisers have them, that's why."

The fleet staff, unable to comprehend Samejima's true intentions, asked, "Commander, what do you intend to do?"

"Revenge, you know? My subordinates were almost killed. It was a mistake to think we could somehow get through this situation. That's why I exposed my subordinates to danger. Threats should be thoroughly eliminated. This time, we'll annihilate the enemy's air power. If necessary, the fleet too."

At that moment, transmission came in from the manacomm.

"This is the Cartalpas Naval Base. We've detected an enemy fleet approaching from the west-southwest at a distance of 100 nautical miles (~185 km), numbering around 30. Speed is about 26 knots!"

"It seems the enemy is thinking the same thing."

"The same thing, you say?"

The fleet staff vaguely understood, but for confirmation, he asked, "Commander, what do you mean?"

"I'm about to settle this naval battle. But we're one player short. Well, there are still over two hours until the fleet battle. If everything goes according to plan, we should make it in time."

. . .

Smoke rose from the bridge and elevator of the Hyūga. At the same time, she transmitted a message via the manacomm.

"We've been hit. But there is no problem with the battle. We will proceed to pass through the Folk Strait and be seen by the enemy fleet."

Simultaneously, Escort Flotilla 0 dashed. Heading south towards the Folk Strait, they sailed at a speed of approximately 10 knots. Upon witnessing this, a message was sent via manacomm from the Cartalpas Naval Base.

"Godspeed."

They believed that Escort Flotilla 0 was facing the Gra Balcas fleet with a determination to fight to the death. Considering the ship numbers, 8 against 30, it was overwhelmingly disadvantageous. Moreover, the carrier was emitting smoke in a pitiful state, sailing at a slow speed of 10 knots. It was not unreasonable for them to be under the misconception. And it was not only the friendlies who saw Escort Flotilla 0's appearance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 54.6K 100
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1M 61.9K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
1M 40K 93
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
443K 30.2K 45
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...