Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

بواسطة KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... المزيد

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road

461 20 3
بواسطة KageNishi

As the firing of the Grade Atlastar was confirmed, Minilar gave the order. The crew literally executed the command with all their might. However, the massive hull of La Kasami could not easily change direction. The crew members spent what felt like seconds that stretched into minutes or even hours. Then a column of water rose—on the starboard side of La Kasami. The closest one was not even 100 meters away. The impact was tremendous, lifting the ship's stern and slamming it onto the lowered sea surface. Most of the crew members fell over as a result. It was on a completely different scale than before.

"Damage report!" Minilar yelled.

"We've lost steering!"

Everyone on the bridge couldn't believe their ears.

"Report again."

"We're losing control, the rudder won't respond!"

It was the kind of report no one wanted to hear second. The first one was... needless to say.

"This is the engine room. The engine is running out of control and we can't stop it!"

This was the second one as well. Even though combining the two was better than the first alone, it was only a matter of time.

The La Kasami had gone out of control. At this rate, she would run aground and strand on the shore. But before that, she would approach the Grade Atlastar. Best-case scenario, she would run aground; in a worst-case scenario, she would sink. It was almost the closest thing to the first kind of report.

"Don't give up! Do your best!"

Minilar raised his voice. As the captain, encouraging the crew was the only thing he could do. Perhaps, there might be a way to fix it. But the morale of the fleet commander was even higher.

"Main gun, prepare for firing. When closest to the Grade Atlastar, unleash a simultaneous barrage. Prepare the secondary guns too."

At Brendas' command, everyone's movement momentarily stopped. But they quickly resumed. They, who should have been in despair, were now faintly smiling. Because what else could they do? The La Kasami was running out of control at full speed. Lowering lifeboats was not an option. Jumping into the sea alone was also dangerous. If they couldn't get off the ship, they had no choice but to continue riding.

They were infected with madness called the spirit of navy personnel.

. . .

"We missed."

Bragston's muttering was heavy. The inability to rotate the turret meant that they couldn't align the aim, which was equivalent to being unable to fire. The morale of the crew inside the first main turret was starting to crumble. But Bragston held his ground. No, wait. Is it really impossible to align the aim? If the turret can't rotate, then rotate the ship. Normally, he couldn't interfere with maneuvering. But now...

"Report!"

One of the personnel who had gone under the turret returned.

"Have you figured out what caused the malfunction?" the chief gunnery officer asked.

"No, not yet, but..."

"Then find out as soon as possible."

"No, there's more important information than that, sir."

Bragston was brought back from his thoughts to reality.

"There's a large crack in the turret ring."

Everyone, including Flagston, doubted the report. The chief gunnery officer spoke for everyone.

"That's impossible. The turret ring has a thickness of 410 millimeters. A 30,5-centimeter shell wouldn't cause a crack like that!"

"But, there really is a crack, sir."

Bragston thought again. Indeed, it was impossible for a 30,5-centimeter shell to create a crack in the turret ring. But it might be possible to dent the surface...

"Damn, that's it!"

Bragston inadvertently raised his voice, drawing the attention of those around him. He felt incredibly heavy, but he had to speak anyway.

"Listen. It's certainly impossible to create a crack in the turret ring with a 30,5-centimeter shell. But it might be possible to dent the surface. If the turret ring is distorted, the turret rotation won't be smooth. And if the distortion catches somewhere, the turret won't move."

The personnel who reported asked, "That may explain why the turret can't rotate, but it doesn't explain the crack in the turret ring, does it?"

"Recoil," Bragston spat. "The force from firing a triple 46-centimeter gun is incomparable to being hit by a single 30,5-centimeter shell. Normally, the force is distributed throughout the entire turret ring, so there's no problem. But because the turret ring is warped and caught, the force is concentrated in one place."

It might be easier to understand if you think about the difference between having no incision at all and having a small incision. Bragston pounded the wall with his fist.

"I caused this! We can't fire the main guns anymore. Even if we fire just one, we can't predict how much the damage will spread. In the worst case, the turret itself might come off. If that happens, the ammunition elevator for the main gun will be exposed!"

A dark cloud loomed in everyone's hearts.

"Enemy ship approaching at 20 knots!"

At the report from the radar operator, everyone turned pale.

. . .

La Kasami has a catalog performance speed of 18 knots, indicating the maximum speed within which the ship can safely navigate. However, the situation with the runaway engine is far from safe, and La Kasami was moving at a speed of 20 knots due to the dangerous conditions. Compared to the Kingdom of Irnetia's Repsilon, which has a speed of 31 knots, La Kasami may be slower, but given the colossal size of the ship, La Kasami's imposing presence surpassed Repsilon's. and this was not off the coast of Doiva, this was the Folk Strait.

"I have an opinion. How about conducting impact observation through preliminary shelling to ensure a direct hit at the closest approach? Even with preliminary shelling, we might score a hit," the chief gunnery officer suggested to Captain Minilar. It was clear that he was confident about hitting even with preliminary shelling.

"Do as you please."

The surroundings were surprised, not by Minilar's response, but by the fact that he made the decision without consulting Brendas.

Addressing Brendas, who was equally surprised, Minilar said, "Commander, the management of the ship is within the authority of the captain, me."

"...Correct."

The surrounding men understood clearly. Minilar decided to keep a distance from Brendas. There was no captain who could be favorable to a commander who dragged the ship under their command into the fate of sinking or running aground. While the engineers were doing a desperate job, the gunnery crew members were lively. The rear second turret was still out of sight and unable to fire, but the front first turret was rotating.

"Our target is the world's largest target ship. Don't be stingy, just show them that we can hit!"

The chief gunnery officer intended to exaggerate to boost morale, but the truth was not far from that. Of course, they had no way of knowing.

The rotation of the first turret stopped. To be precise, it continued to rotate slowly—for the purpose of tracking the moving Grade Atlastar. Based on Myrus' report, research on the electronic control firing system had begun in Mu, but it was far from completion, and the design wasn't finalized. For now, the system is being operated manually. The elevation angle of the gun barrel changed. The range of the cannonball changes with the elevation angle. Adjusting the distance is more challenging for naval guns than adjusting the azimuth.

"Fire!"

At the chief gunnery officer's command, La Kasami's main guns spat out flames, smoke, and projectiles.

"Ten seconds to impact, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, NOW!"

As the chief gunnery officer's countdown ended, columns of water rose before and after the Grade Atlastar. They had successfully crossed. The distance was right. Now it was a matter of the precision of the gun barrels. If they continued firing like this, they would hit.

. . .

"The enemy shells have crossed our ship!"

With the observer's report, excitement filled the first main turret. But Bragston was desperately thinking.

What should he do? If they've crossed, they'll get hit on the next or the one after. I'm a gunner. I don't understand fleet maneuvers—wait, does fleet movement matter now? The Grade Atlastar is currently operating as a single ship. If I just think about not getting hit by enemy shells, that should be enough. I'm a gunner. So, I should do the thing I'd hate the most if I were on the receiving end.

Bragston picked up the ship's internal telephone receiver.

"Helmsman, turn the helm according to my instructions."

The Grade Atlastar began evasive maneuvers with zigzag navigation.

. . .

La Kasami's executive officer, Sitras, approached Captain Minilar.

"Captain, may I have a word?" he spoke in a whisper.

"What is it?"

"Do you think there's something odd about the Grade Atlastar's movements?"

Upon hearing this, Minilar focused on the Grade Atlastar once again.

"She's engaging in evasive maneuvers. She seems to fear our gunfire."

"That's not the only issue. Her turrets are not moving at all."

A furrow appeared on Minilar's forehead.

"Are you suggesting that the Grade Atlastar is rendered inoperable in terms of attack?"

This time, a furrow appeared on Sitras' forehead.

"I'm not optimistic, but I can't think of a rational explanation otherwise."

Minilar now rubbed his forehead.

"The 'anything that can go wrong will go wrong.'"

"Huh?"

"It's a proverb from the old world, taught to me by a Japanese admiral on the first day of the officers' meeting. They call it Murphy's Law, or something like that."

"...How persuasive."

"Indeed. Considering you. But I suppose there's more you want to say."

"Yes. Rather than insisting on the closest approach, we should conduct as many shots as possible. It's not about a single decisive blow but—"

"Competing with numbers."

"In terms of probability, I believe that's the correct answer."

"That's pure folly," Brendas interrupted their conversation. It seemed he had heard it all. "A simultaneous barrage at the closest approach. This is an order."

"Understood."

In response to Brendas' emphasis, Minilar saluted.

As Brendas walked away, Sitras whispered again. "Is this all right?"

"There's no other choice. Convey it to the chief gunnery officer to perform a simultaneous barrage at the closest approach, aim for a sure hit."

And thus, a new point of divergence was born in history. If only La Kasami had conducted multiple gunfires... but this point of divergence was not discussed within the borders of Mu for quite some time.

. . .

Bragston was desperately giving navigation instructions, but he understood that it was somewhat futile. The Grade Atlastar was too large. Due to its size, it was an easy target and slow. Normally, the 410-millimeter-thick armor protecting vital parts compensated for this, but now those vital parts had already suffered severe damage. Thick armor wasn't a universal cure.

Those Japanese unmanned planes—monsters aiming for a hole-in-one—had targeted the Grade Atlastar's weakness with precision, piercing through it like threading a needle. In the face of that monster, the proud heavy armor had become dead weight. And now, for an inferior opponent, it was a convenient target. It was large and slow, making it easy to hit and not easily sunk. Therefore, the sense of accomplishment when sinking it was significant. The crew of that pocket battleship would likely boast about it for generations to come. "You know, my ancestor sank the Grade Atlastar."

Bragston regained his senses. I am the acting captain. Even on a child's excursion, it's an excursion until you return home. A warship's mission is until it returns to port. He has a responsibility to bring this ship to our friendly port. What's the use of thinking as if it's going to sink?

"Enemy gunfire!"

Upon the observer's report, there was a disturbance in the first main turret. Everyone looked to Bragston for guidance.

He hesitated. Should he turn to port or starboard? They were already at full reverse. Should they maintain full speed or decelerate? Well, panicking now wouldn't make this massive body move any faster.

"Maintain current speed and course."

Don't look at me like that. If you don't stand firm now, when will you?

The sound of metal colliding, the sound of destruction, echoed. It was much larger and had a longer roar than when a shell hit the roof. That wasn't all. The entire ship shook loudly. It was an impact that couldn't be possible with a 30,5-centimeter shell. It was as if it had taken a 46-centimeter shell or larger. Bragston picked up the microphone.

"Damage report."

But there was no response from anyone. Only noise could be heard from the speakers. The damaged area was like a battlefield, no, like hell. Unable to stay still, Bragston stood up.

"Wait. I'll go see for myself."

He was stopped by the chief gunnery officer. At that moment, a voice came from the speaker.

"This is the upper deck. We've been hit on the foremast. The foremast... has collapsed."

The main turret fell silent for a moment. Bragston picked up the microphone again.

"Collapsed?"

"Yes. The hit caused it to bend and tilt to the starboard side from the middle. After that, it fell onto the upper deck and most of it went into the sea..."

Ignoring his subordinates' attempts to stop him, Bragston went out onto the upper deck.

. . .

"...Three, two, one, now!"

As per the chief gunnery officer's countdown, an explosion occurred on the Grade Atlastar. The majestic foremast, which boasted the ship's magnificence, slowly tilted and suddenly collapsed rapidly. The upper part of it crushed the starboard upper deck, and most of it fell into the sea. The massive hull of the Grade Atlastar trembled violently.

"Let it sink in! We've broken their symbol!!"

Brendas, with a less refined spirit, raised his morale and put on a smug face. Immediately after that, Minilar issued a warning.

"Everyone, grab onto something!"

This time, La Kasami was hit by a violent shunt. It had run aground on a shoal. This time, all the crew members on La Kasami suffered from falls or similar injuries. The most severe case was the very smug Brendas. He was thrown out of the open bridge. In mid-air, he desperately tried to grab onto something, and miraculously succeeded. What he grabbed onto was the railing of a staircase that had been prohibited from use due to multiple accidents. He was slammed against the bridge by the impact, but he managed to hang on with one arm.

However, what was known as the "Stairs of Misfortune" by the crew lived up to its name. Since no one entered, it had not been maintained. The railing had rusted and become brittle. Unable to withstand Brendas' weight, it snapped. Brendas ultimately fell onto the upper deck, but the brake had somewhat worked, and he survived.

. . .

Unlike Pattes, Brendas received high praise within Mu for his actions. The pursuit of the Grade Atlastar was seen as an expression of naval spirit, and ultimately rendering the Grade Atlastar combat ineffective and forcing her retreat was appreciated. The truth behind it all was a political calculation prioritizing national prestige and military honor—essentially propaganda.

Both the hawks and doves agreed on this matter. Without the need for a gag order, the crew of La Kasami did not elaborate on Brendas' actions. Therefore, the mistaken image of "Brendas being a reserved admiral" became ingrained in Mu's historical perception.

Brendas himself was hospitalized due to injuries from the fall and was discharged from service citing the reason that, even if he recovered, the remaining disabilities would make military service untenable. His protests upon discharge were ignored. The rule was clear: discard incompetent workers as soon as they were found. This was a common practice in both old and new world militaries. The fact that the medal bestowed upon him was the Purple Heart, a medal for wounds received in combat, eloquently told the truth.

. . .

Bragston and his subordinates, upon reaching the upper deck, were left dumbfounded by the scene before them. The upper half of the prominent forward mast, representing the Grade Atlastar's grandeur, was missing. Its wreckage leaned over the right side of the upper deck, pressing down and crushing it. The starboard perimeter was impassable, and the ship's hull tilted slightly to the right due to the weight. Manual removal of the wreckage would be impossible.

"Senior, that thing..."

Bragston was instructed by the chief gunnery officer, and he looked in the direction pointed by him. La Kasami was aground on the shallows.

"What were they trying to do?"

Bragston understood the situation.

"They probably became unable to maneuver midway. It's not like they intentionally ran aground."

"Troublesome folks."

"No, they're blessings," Bragston grinned and explained to his bewildered subordinates. "Thanks to the loss of the forward mast's weight, the draft has decreased. Now, we don't have to worry about sinking for a while."

The Grade Atlastar moved and passed through the Folk Strait in reverse.

. . .

By the time this gunnery battle came to an end, some of the ships of the line had caught up.

Leading the fleet were seven armored warships of the Magicaraich Community belonging to the Second Civilization Area. They were steamships incorporating Mu's mechanical technology. Armed with magical cannons, they had extended their range to 3 kilometers through improvements. Considering that even in the advanced civilizations like the former superpowers Parpaldia Empire and Leifor, the range was limited to 2 kilometers, they were at the forefront among the civilized nations.

Gireis, the fleet commander aboard the flagship Magi, took his eyes off the Japanese-made binoculars. Recently, Japanese-made binoculars had become a trend among naval officers of civilized nations.

While the circumstances varied by country, binoculars were provided by the military once officers reached the rank of captain or higher. Binoculars were expensive in civilized nations. To deliberately own one's binoculars became a status symbol for naval officers. Until now, Muish-made binoculars have been the standard. However, with the introduction of Japanese-made binoculars, the market had undergone a transformation. They outperformed their Muish counterparts and were cheaper. The reason for the lower price was that they were civilian products not subject to technology leakage prevention laws. Even in this regard, Japanese products were displacing Muish products. Yet, Mu remained silent because they wanted Japan's technology.

"The Grade Atlastar is further damaged after the recent battle. Let's pursue."

In response to the fleet staff's words, Gireis returned a cold gaze.

"Are your eyes deceiving you?"

"Sir?"

"Don't you see the wrecked Mirishial magic ships there?"

"...I did."

"And didn't you see the recent fight?"

"I did."

"Then you tell me, from where your suggestion came from? Do you want to me look like a retard worse than Mirishial's commander?"

The fleet staff couldn't find words to reply.

"Even with anti-magic bullet steel armor, our fleet is made of wooden ships. Do you think we can intervene in that brawl between iron and iron and win, or even survive?"

"But the honor and prestige of the country and the military—"

"If we end up getting a beating and letting our subordinates die like dogs, wouldn't that be a complete loss of face? No, go prepare the boats instead."

"Boats?"

"That's right."

Gireis pointed to La Kasami.

"Rescue the surviving Muish warship. It's best to owe a favor to Mu at this point. Despite being heavily damaged, she managed to drive back the monster that destroyed Leifor by herself somehow. Truly worthy of being called a great power. Gra Valkas probably aimed for Leiforia's reenactment in Cartalpas if possible. The Holy Mirishial Empire will also feel gratitude toward Japan and Mu on this point. Anyway, it's not a loss to owe Mu a favor."

Looking somewhat stunned, the fleet staff was urged by Gireis.

"Quickly convey the orders."

Gireis gazed at the fleet staff rushing off with a cold stare. It was good to find an incompetent worker early on. He'll kick that sod out of his fleet as soon as possible.

. . .

Thus ended the Folk Strait Pursuit, in which a great deal of iron and blood was spilled into the sea.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.1M 19.3K 132
requests (open) walker scobell imagines AND preferences :) -- #1 - riordan (04.30.24) #1 - leenascobell (05.29.24) #2 - adamreed (04.30.24) #2 - momo...
193K 4K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
913K 21K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
138K 15.7K 22
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...