Orison | Celeste Academy Seri...

By MyLovelyWriter

|COMPLETE| |Celeste Academy Series Book 3| As summer slowly comes to an end, the Festival of Ember begins. Th... More

FROM THE AUTHOR
Prelude
Chapter One ۞ Gray Scale
Chapter Two ۞ Takes One to Know One
Chapter Three ۞ Prelurésia's Guardians (pt. 1)
Chapter Three ۞ Prelurésia's Guardians (pt. 2)
Chapter Four ۞ The Blessing of the Skies
Chapter Five ۞ Realization
Chapter Six ۞ Riddle
Chapter Seven ۞ Plan to Fight
Chapter Eight ۞ Largesse
Chapter Nine ۞ Cifaro
Chapter Ten ۞ The Return
Chapter Eleven ۞ Reprimanded
Chapter Twelve ۞ Organizers
Chapter Thirteen ۞ A Calm Morning
Chapter Fourteen ۞ Special Class
Chapter Fifteen ۞ Seraphina's Request
Chapter Sixteen ۞ Collaboration
Chapter Seventeen ۞ The Rift
Chapter Eighteen ۞ Clandestine Melody
Chapter Nineteen ۞ Special Dinner
Chapter Twenty ۞ Lesson
Chapter Twenty-One ۞ Revelations
Chapter Twenty-Two ۞ Drawlots
Chapter Twenty-Three ۞ Disruption
Chapter Twenty-Four ۞ Complete
Chapter Twenty-Five ۞ The Lord's Lecture
Chapter Twenty-Six ۞ Open Channels
Chapter Twenty-Seven ۞ Two Songs
Chapter Twenty-Eight ۞ Identity
Chapter Twenty-Nine ۞ Parasite
Chapter Thirty ۞ A Sword That Can't Cut
Chapter Thirty-Two ۞ Here Comes the Twelve
Chapter Thirty-Three ۞ Trouble
Chapter Thirty-Four ۞ The Library
Chapter Thirty-Five ۞ Finalizations
Chapter Thirty-Six ۞ Grand Opening
Chapter Thirty-Seven ۞ Let It Begin!
Chapter Thirty-Eight ۞ Keelan Versus Brindon
Chapter Thirty-Nine ۞ Let Me Take a Selfie
Chapter Forty ۞ It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter Forty-One ۞ Zevlin Versus Genevieve
Chapter Forty-Two ۞ The Great Fire
Chapter Forty-Three ۞ Halt
Chapter Forty-Four ۞ The Talk
Chapter Forty-Five ۞ Sudden Engagement
Chapter Forty-Six ۞ Stay or Go
Chapter Forty-Seven ۞ Blank
Chapter Forty-Eight ۞ Alone
Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 1)
Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 2)
Chapter Fifty ۞ I Believe
Chapter Fifty-One ۞ Headstart
Chapter Fifty-Two ۞ Elfre vs Raziel
Chapter Fifty-Three ۞ Thieves
Chapter Fifty-Four ۞ Bound by Oaths
Chapter Fifty-Five ۞ Spies
Chapter Fifty-Six ۞ Intruders
Chapter Fifty-Seven ۞ Hidden Power
Chapter Fifty-Eight ۞ Captive
Chapter Fifty-Nine ۞ Aneeka vs Rowe
Chapter Sixty ۞ Captive
Chapter Sixty-One ۞ Confrontation
Chapter Sixty-One ۞ Confrontation (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Two ۞ Feverish
Chapter Sixty-Three ۞ Double Trouble (pt. 1)
Chapter Sixty-Three ۞ Double Trouble (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Four ۞ Drakon
Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp
Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Six ۞ Charles vs Tamara
Chapter Sixty-Seven ۞ Sliver
Chapter Sixty-Eight ۞ Time to Return
Chapter Sixty-Nine ۞ Amaranthine
Chapter Seventy ۞ Corvan vs Valeriana
Chapter Seventy-One ۞ The Aftermath
Chapter Seventy-Two ۞ Last Day
Chapter Seventy-Three ۞ Eyes Open
Epilogue
WARSONG

Chapter Thirty-One ۞ Team Five

97.4K 6.8K 1.4K
By MyLovelyWriter

The lady knight did not ask her to do anything major, only a few exercises that she said would help her gain more control. It would also help awaken and recall what she had probably forgotten.

"I want you to develop your speed, increase the endurance of your muscles, and work on your killing intent. You cannot pull off the same stunt you did with Zion. It will not work on Lord Corvan."

"I continued the exercises you gave me when we were out in the assignment." Valeriana told her, her blade colliding with Seraphina. "But I seriously doubt I can do what I did before. I mean, maybe I sort of tried . . ."

"It's alright." Seraphina parried another blow and sent a strike down her ward's right. "I'm not expecting too much. Let's just start slow. We have two weeks. It's more than enough to help you hold up against the first-ranker."

"I seriously doubt I can win against him, though."

"You don't need to. You aren't in any risk in this fight. You're in a more favorable situation. Lord Corvan, however, will not let anything take away his title as first."

The clang of their weapons and the intensity of their swordplay sent a sweat trailing down Valeriana's face.

"I feel like I want to try and fight him though, even if it seems like I don't have a chance."

"That's always the spirit. You never know." Seraphina smiled and struck down, making her weapon fly out of her hands. "You've went up against incredulously strong opponents so far and you haven't lost. Chances are that you will no longer be called the fifth."

Valeriana laughed at the ridiculous notion. "That's probably not going to happen. This is Corvan, after all."

"And you are Valeriana, the dark horse. Believe me, your potential is fearsome."

After a few hours of training with the lady knight, Valeriana excused herself to change into new clothes as her previous ones were soaked wet. She would then grab lunch after that, drop by her team to see how they were doing--maybe help out here and there to show she wasn't just asking everyone to do everything, then head out to the Development Wing to meet up with her . . . group.

She sighed wearily at her packed schedule but steeled herself, knowing she had to see through this no matter what.

Valeriana dropped by the residences to help and make lunch, but was quite surprised to see sandwiches, an assortment of fruits, and three jugs of freshly squeezed orange juice sitting on top of the coffee table.

Seemed as though the others were still out.

Grandma Kloe came around the corner with a smile. She folded her hands on her stomach. "Snacks are prepared, dear. Are you hungry?"

Valeriana felt a relieved smile tugging on her lips. "You don't mind if I just pop a few in my mouth, do you? I still have to change clothes and I'm heading out right after."

"No problem." The woman answered, nodding. "Take an apple on your way out."

The girl bit into a sandwich, splashed some juice into the glass and filled it up halfway. She downed it in a few gulps and was immediately running up the stairs a split second later.

Once she was up in her room, she wiped off the disgusting stickiness away with a damp towel before throwing in a new, fresh shirt and spritzing some cologne by her ears, her wrist and somewhere that wouldn't make her smelling like sweat a bit too obvious.

Her pants didn't need changing, thankfully.

She flew down the stairs and met Genevieve halfway. The other girl had a sandwich hanging off between her lips.

"Hi, Gen!" Valeriana greeted, brushing past her.

Her co-ranker didn't seem so surprised seeing her and gave a smile in return, chewing all the while. "Mmphee!"

Incoherent as it was, it wasn't important.

After snatching an apple on her way out, she yelled a thanks to Kloeschette and rushed to the Year Five building. She bit into the fruit, the crunch resounding right after her teeth sank into its flesh. The juice flooded inside her mouth, making her moan at the taste that exploded on her tongue.

"Chavi!" She exclaimed, waving.

The girl turned to meet her gaze, excusing herself from talking with the others to meet with Valeriana. "Val! Good thing you're here! Do you mind talking with the headmaster if we're allowed to use blowtorches?"

Blowtorches? Her mouth fell.

"I--"

"I'm afraid that won't be allowed." A voice cut in.

Heads turned to the person standing behind Valeriana, making her follow. Corvan towered over her with his domineering form, causing her to look up to meet his eyes.

"Aw." Chavi pouted. "Why not?"

Corvan eyed her dangerously. "It's all a matter of precaution. If you wish to pursue that, talk with the headmaster yourself."

"But we need it for the assembly!" She pointed to an assortment of weapons. "The deadly tunnel attraction won't be complete without it."

The first-ranker's brow twitched. "This sort of attraction was approved?" He gazed at Valeriana.

"I almost forgot about that." The girl breathed into her palm. "Yes, it was approved."

"By who?"

"Headmaster Kylon requested it. But people will have to enter at their own risk. It will also be restricted to those who have undergone training, specifically only students in year five and above. The routine will be told to them and they will be given specialized gears designed by the DevDept for protection. I'm still going to check it out to ensure it's legitimate and working . . ." She trailed off. "I also had someone investigate on the training routine commonly done so we can adjust the danger level."

"When did you do this?" Corvan inquired.

"I don't know, too. Things just sort of happen on my part."

"Will you, please, Valeriana?" Chavi's eyes were puppy-dog big.

"I'll try."

"Yes!"

Chavi seemed to be in a happy mood these days. Her aura was a bit better than she first saw it.

Corvan frowned at her friend before turning to Valeriana.

"Anyhow, I wish for a collaboration regarding a sports theme." He handed over a paper. "The juvenile arena. I heard you got the Year Five building. I need Room Eighteen B if it's still available."

Valeriana checked the paper he gave her and saw that it was a layout plan. He needed the room for an indoor activity.

"Lemme check." She pulled out a list she made in which she had been keeping track of the rooms she already assigned. "You're lucky it's still free. Sure thing, then."

"I still did not get to talk to you about that important matter. If you wish to know more about yourself, come and find the time to speak with me."

Corvan left after that.

"Not even a thank you. That jerk." She huffed. "But to know about myself is just a weird choice of words . . ."

Valeriana lingered around, helping with minor issues before she figured it was time to leave. She still had to meet with that guy Zander and everyone else she would be working with for the tournament.

With anyone else she could've been working with, they just had to end up with one another.

The Development Wing was unlike the Knight Area--the Twelve's domain--and was busy like it was the regular days. The halls were crowded with students, majority of them had their hands full of papers or books.

As Valeriana wondered what room she was going to find Zander's group in, a female approached her with wide eyes and stood staring at her like a deer in the headlights. She was a bit shorter, with pixie cut hair and round glasses framing her ultramarine eyes.

She stayed like that for about fifteen seconds, Valeriana waiting for the time she would choose to speak.

A bit . . . creepy, wasn't she?

"Excuse me?"

She snapped out of her reverie and flushed, looking down to hide her face as she tightened her hug around the books she carried. "I-I am sorry . . . I am Conradine Diece. I am of the Team Five."

Valeriana raised a brow. "Nice . . . meeting you. My name's--"

"I am familiar with what you are called. I am of the Team Five." She repeated. "I am Zenith Twenty-Nine."

Twenty-nine sounded like a familiar number.

"I am of the Team Five." Conradine couldn't seem to get enough of that sentence. Not only that, she had an I am in each of her sentences it was sort of annoying.

Team Five . . . that didn't mean her team?

"O-oh! Just in time, I guess. Do you know where Zander is?"

"I am aware of where he is." She turned hot on her heels and speed-walked to the direction Valeriana was heading for.

The current fifth doubted whether or not she should hurry after her. But, seeing as she had no other option at the moment, she trailed behind Conradine closely to see where she was going.

At the far end of the hall of the DevDept wing were gigantic doors with a certain distance from one another--estimatedly twenty-feet away. It gave the impression that whatever room they led to would be spacious.

Conradine stopped, gave Valeriana a look, then hurried to take out a key that was blue in color. She unlocked the first door along the right row and pulled the fifth-ranker inside.

What greeted her behind was nothing short of awesome.

She thought of one corner as a fireplace first, but contrary to her expectations, it had a more specific purpose. All in all, it was filled with equipments she had never seen before.

By the door, there was pile of swords that had a variety of shapes. She picked one up and was surprised by the heaviness.

"Those are the rejects of the first trial." Said a fairly muscular boy before her.

Shocked at his sudden appearance, she took a step back and was halfway into a defensive stance when he pulled up his hands in surrender.

"I apologize. Do put those down before you hurt somebody."

She set the weapon back in place and fanned herself. "Sorry. Instincts." Valeriana flashed a half-hearted smile.

"It just reassures me you're going to have a chance in that fight." He nodded, flashing a friendly smile that made his chartreuse green eyes twinkle.

"Um . . ."

Seeming to have realized he had not introduced himself just yet, he offered a hand. "Sorry. I'm Axel Gaver, Zenith Eighteen. Since you've met Conradine, that means only Sai and Leticia have yet to make an appearance. They're Zenith Twenty and Thirty-Seven respectively."

Valeriana accepted the handshake. "Valeriana Kerrigan, fifth-ranker." She never even knew she would be introducing herself as a part of the Twelve like this. It felt . . . good.

"Nice meeting you."

He seemed normal.

It was refreshing, to say the least--meeting a fairly civilized person in a place like this.

"Zander is at the back with--"

BOOM!

They winced.

BANG!

It was then followed by a roar of fire.

"WAAAAAHHAAAA!"

Someone burst through the door leading to an adjacent room, holding up a square textile in his hand and jumping around like a lunatic.

"I DID IT! I FOUND IT! THIS IS WHAT I CALL FANTASTIC! REJOICE, EVERYONE! I WILL GET US SOME FO--"

"Ehem." Axel cleared his throat, eyeing the boy warningly.

It took a few moments for him to realize everyone was watching him with incredulity. He grew flustered at this and shyly scratched the back of his neck as he came forward, pulling up the googles he had on to sit on the crown of his head.

He gave Valeriana a handshake.

"You must be Sai?"

"That is me." The messy ginger mane that fell on his forehead had grime stuck on its strands. Even so, his russet-colored eyes shone with joy as he handed over the cloth he had been holding onto since a while ago. "This is Amaranthine. This will be the fabric you'll have on during your fight."

"I am in disbelief." Conradine commented, her eyes widened once again.

"You really managed to pull it off." Axel was suprised. "Just in time for the fifth-ranker to arrive too."

"I didn't only get that name because of the purplish-red hue it has, but because it is also as it is called--unfading and everlasting." He explained.

Valeriana's eyes were drawn to the grease covering the tip of his nose. Even so, she forced herself to look away and instead examine what she was given.

The fabric was soft to the touch, it felt light as well. Valeriana pulled her hand back and found it slightly adhesive.

"It will allow you to be agile and will not restrict your movements. Considering you also have Lord Corvan as your opponent, I made it fireproof."

"Wow."

Now this was impressive.

She handed the cloth back, afraid she would destroy it if she held onto it longer.

"Are you familiar with the Bismuth dragons of the Arlandian continent?" He was practically jumping in excitement. "Their furs are as soft as cotton and are heat-resistant--fireproof! Seventy-five percent of the fabric is composed of it and the remaining twenty-five is made up of firedrake scales!"

"He isn't the only one working on something, excuse me!" An older girl walked in from the same room, holding arm guards and waving them around. "These are made from top quality Aetherian minerals, Class A, Diladian Crystals."

Her features were contoured, a tall nose but thin lips. Her eyes were cat-like and her cheekbones accentuated. She shoved the objects she carried into the fifth-ranker's hands.

Valeriana reluctantly accepted, suprised by the lightness. "I don't exactly--"

"No problem. I'll explain it." She pointed a finger with chipped nails forward and traced the carvings on the surface. "Diladian crystals are infamous for creating gears that can help protect the wearer against all sorts of magnitudes of attacks. Its mass is lighter than any other elements, enabling high-speed movements and increased mobility."

"Diladian crystals are weak against water, but they're very resistant to fire." Axel commented. "You'll just have to be careful. It's not even past the testing stages."

"I am suggesting maybe you can use hydrophobic coating to help protect it." Said Conradine.

"Good idea!" The other girl jumped. "I'll see if I can have that in, probably something that will hold off against the attacks as well . . ."

"Leticia." Axel nodded towards Valeriana. "Don't you plan on introducing yourself?"

"Oh yes!" She steeled herself, erected her back, and saluted. "I am Leticia Ozeal, Zenith Thirty-Seven, under Team Five!"

"Nice meeting you, I'm Valeriana Kerrigan." She offered a handshake which the other girl accepted a bit too . . . enthusiastically.

"The honor's all mine to be working with you!"

Her energy was rocketing.

"Not at all. Um . . ." She motioned towards the arm guards.

Leticia hopped forward and relieved her of them.

"You are actually very lucky to have us working in different specialties. It's the perfect combo for this tournament." Axel pointed out, on his lips a proud smile. "I specialize in the weapons, Leticia in the armor . . ."

"I'm assigned in primary protection." Sai quipped. "Do you mind testing the suit out for me so I can see what needs to be fixed?"

"Sure thing . . . I guess."

"I am supposed to inform you Miss Valeriana is looking for Zander." Conradine had a small frown on her face as she said this.

"I don't really mi--"

"I am leading you to the back." With her chin up, she pulled Valeriana with her and urged her to enter the door Leticia and Sai emerged from.

"Don't worry, she's always like that." Sai grinned.

"We'll see you later!"

The room further inside was not a different sight from what she had seen when she first came in. The only difference was that it was filled with skin-tight suits dumped on the far-end right, a whole pile of unpolished crystals by the left, and a bunch of equipment she did not know the use of.

She started wondering how much work they've gone through just for this.

Conradine steered her towards a door to their right and stopped before it. She then reached forward and knocked, "I am bringing in the fifth-ranker as she wishes to see you."

There was no answer behind it.

Her guide looked up at her and nodded resolutely before dashing away, leaving her all alone to stand stupidly. Breathing out loudly, she grasped the knob and opened the thing.

Way to go.

"Excuse me." She waltzed inside and threw her eyes around to see just the person she was looking for hunched over a table. "Zander. I came for the--"

"You didn't knock." He merely stated.

"Conradi--

"I was talking about you."

She was so not apologizing.

Valeriana chewed on her lower lip in frustration, trying to regain half of the patience she lost since entering. "You should've known I was coming."

Silence.

"The gear you'll be wearing has not been finished yet." Was his answer. "Although no matter how much this group says it's the perfect combination, their specialties and the materials they used have drastic differences to come together smoothly as one."

"Really?"

Mr. Purple rose from what he was doing and pointed to a sketch he had pinned on the wall. "They should've mentioned it. Amaranthine will be your first layer of protection. It will cling to your skin like glue but will not make you uncomfortable."

"I saw it."

"You won't be afraid to dive in head first should Corvan resort to his fire-wielding. Amaranthine will serve as a barricade between you and the fire." He traced the lines of the first sketch before moving on to the next. "The gears will be composed of two arm guards, two leg and knee protectors and an armor around the chest and shoulder area. You will wear this on top of Amaranthine. It shouldn't hinder you much because it is lightweight. I will also have a weapon compartment installed under the gears just in case, so train yourself using knives and throwing stars."

"O . . . kay. You focus on agility, huh?"

He shot her a look. "You are not an element-wielder, so we have to focus on mobility. There were different types of elements enhancing concentration for power control but that didn't suit you since they're meant entirely for indirect users. Not to mention you have that move."

"That move?"

"The advanced technique formulated by Dantalion Wisperia, the Ghost. You used it against Zion. It requires great agility for a sudden change in the area of projection and route, putting harsh strains on the muscles. Speed is necessary, but you surprisingly managed to pull it off. And that's just because you took your enemy by surprise." He paused. "Quite frankly, you were a bit sloppy in your last duel. You're still far from perfecting that technique. I seriously doubt you can do it again--after such a long time you haven't done it, too."

Him and his damned mouth. It wasn't as though he was lying though.

"You never know."

"No matter how good the gears are, if the one who carries it is incompetent, it will be useless. If you want to wear what we made for you, make sure you're worthy of them." The tone of his voice was intimidating.

Valeriana narrowed her eyes at him. If this was a challenge, she wouldn't back down.

"I'll wear it with pride." She answered firmly.

For the first time since they met, he gave her a smile. It wasn't fake and it wasn't mocking. It carried no ulterior motives.

"That's all I wanted to hear."

TWEET #MyWattysChoice is #TeamOrison with a link to the story to help vote for the Wattys!

It's also a good story to share with friends and family.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25 2 14
In the magical land of Emilaba the only group that can possibly keep the peace are the Zaubators. The Zaubators are a band of noble warriors who use...
9.3K 975 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist @YARomance Undiscovered Book of the Month (January 2024) Featured on Wattpad's HighFantasy, StoriesUndiscovered (May 2023), Dange...
1.5K 88 7
There is no shortcut to success. What if there was? For a price. Will Ember escape the horrors she and her best friend Lily unleashed into reality? O...
275 2 26
Seraphina Aster is a average 18-year old girl who wants her last year of high school to be quick, quiet and painless. She avoids all social interact...