The Hanging Noose

By thewhorcrux19

1921 a strange man came to the Johnson's family home. He had asked for Dorothea and Micheal to return home, g... More

The Hanging Noose
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Act II
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Act III
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Act IIII
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy
Seventy-One
Seventy-Two
Authors Note

Epilogue

446 12 3
By thewhorcrux19

The family stand in front of a large trailer, where two bodies lay inside. The trailer, although ready to be lit on fire, has steps leading down, where Isiah leads Eliza and Florence away from the trailer, both holding their hands as they look down to the floor with bloodshot and tearful eyes.

He sniffs, tilting his head as he steps down the last of the steps. His hand gets pulled by Eliza, who stands on the steps, Florence behind her.

"Eliza," Isiah says, struggling to maintain a calm voice, "come on, darling—"

Eliza stares at the doorway, through the arch she can see the two cloths.
"I'm not leaving her," Eliza murmurs back, "she'll be lonely, daddy."

"She's with your Nana," Isiah responds as Florence takes hold of Eliza's hand. "Come down, sweetheart."

Eliza shakes her head, she continues to stare through the trailer.

"Will Mama be cold?" Florence suddenly asks as she looks up to Isiah, "on her way to heaven?"

Isiah swallows a lump in his throat, "no, darling. Your mama is already up there," he bends down, crouching down to be the same height as Eliza and Florence. He points to a large cloud in the sky, "do you see that cloud? That's your mama and your Nana together. If you look real closely, you can see your mama's smile. Do you see it?"

Florence frowns as Eliza sniffs.

"I don't want her in the sky," Florence reveals in a small voice, "I need her, daddy."

"I know you do," Isiah says, he opens his arms up, "come here, Flo. Come to daddy."

Florence shakes her head, "I want my mama."

Micheal, who had originally hung back from the trailer, steps forward. "Flo, you want to come to your uncle Micheal? Eh?"

Florence shakes her head. She turns to look at Micheal with watery and large eyes, "I want mama."

Micheal lets out a breath, he doesn't know how to respond.

"Make her come back," Florence says, her bottom lip puckering.

"She can't come back," Eliza responds in a heartbroken voice, "she's gone, Flo."

Florence shakes her head, wiping her eyes, "no, no, she'll wake up." She turns to Isiah, "my mama will wake up. She will. She has to."

Isiah hesitates as he bites his lip. He then takes Florence's hand, however she rips it away from him. She goes to dart in to the trailer towards where Dottie and Polly lay together, however Micheal is quick to catch her, hoisting her up on to his hip. She wails, tears streaming down her eyes as Micheal coos over her, bouncing her slightly and ignoring the heaviness sitting in his chest.

Eliza looks behind her, she sees Micheal with Florence and looks back at the trailer. She presses a kiss to her fingers.
"Goodbye Nana," she says in a quiet voice, "goodbye Mama," she adds, pressing her fingers to the trailer.

Isiah stands up, holding his hand out to Eliza, who takes it willingly. He steps away from the trailer, standing with Micheal on his side. He looks over to Tommy, who stands with Lizzie, Charlie's hand in his hand as Ruby clings to Lizzie. He's looking down at the floor, his face solemn.

"I, er, invited someone," Arthur says as a woman in black approaches the family.

Rosemary. She walks through the field to where the trailer sits. She gives a small and weary smile to Micheal before she greets Eliza and Florence. She has watery eyes, and flowers hanging out of her bag. Pink and red roses. Dottie's favourite.

Esme, although still furious with Tommy, stands with the family. Her children hang their heads, thinking of the times Dottie and Polly comforted and played with them.

"Micheal, want to say something?" Arthur asks, his voice gruff as Linda holds on to his arm.

Esme breathes out, staring at the trailer.

Micheal nods, feeling Gina's hand stroke his shoulder comfortingly. He passes the blabbering child to Rosemary, who wails in to Rosemary's dress.

"Thank you for coming," Micheal croaks out, upon looking at everyone who's gathered.

Ada bites her lip, she tightens her grip on Karl's hand bedside her.

"My sister was the light of my life. She saved me, in more ways than one. She always protected me, she was always there to clean me up when I got in trouble... she didn't have a bad bone in her body. Everything she did was for other people."

Florence sniffs as Eliza picks up Rosemary's hand.

"I remember being scared at the parish. I didn't know what was going on, neither did Dottie. But instead of crying, she comforted me. She told me we were always going to be together."

Arthur clears his throat, his chest tightens as he stares at the trailer.

"My sister was the kindest soul I have ever met. She loved fearlessly, and was herself right until the end. She left behind my two nieces, who will do her proud every day..."

Charlie looks at Tommy, who squeezes his hand comfortingly as Ruby lays her head against Lizzie's chest, tears pooling down her eyes.

"My mum was like Dottie in every way. She was protective, and loved fiercely. She adored life, she adored her two grandchildren. She loved having them over, and taking care of them. We didn't always get on, but I learned some incredible lessons from her. I learnt how to be the man I am today by her."

Isiah's chest rips, feeling his heart ache as he thinks of the memories he has with Dottie. And with Polly.

"She was your aunt Pol, but she was my mum," Micheal continues, breathing out, "I feel honoured to have been her son, even for a short amount of time."

Florence stares at Micheal.

Esme gives Micheal a small smile as the tears pool in her eyes. Ada reaches out, taking hold of Esme's hand.

"I thought of giving a tribute to both individually, but I know my sister wouldn't have wanted that. For as long as she breathed, she breathed for our mum, so now they're together, in peace and harmony."

Eliza pushes Rosemary and Isiah's hands away as she steps forward. Isiah frowns, however the confident crying girl seems to ignore him.

"I wrote something, Uncle Micheal," she says in a quiet voice, "can I read it?"

Micheal nods, "course you can, sweetheart."

Pulling a folded up piece of paper from her dress, Eliza looks at the family. She looks at Florence, who continues to have tears stream from her eyes.

"My mum's name was Dorothea. Nana called her that. Nana called her a gift from God. Because she was. She was the best mum to me and Florence. She always put us first, she always made us laugh, even when she was upset." Eliza speaks, however her words fall to look at the trailer.
"I... I see her everywhere. I see her in the trees, in the breeze, the blue water, in the stars at night. I see her in the moon, she stares back at me. She tells me she loves me."

Arthur bites his lip, feeling the tears brim in his eyes. Linda stands beside him, holding on to her arm as she sniffs.

Eliza looks up to the sky, "thank you for everything, Mama. I miss you so much already." Her voice cracks, and Isiah is quick to fall to his knees beside her, lifting up her head to wipe away her tears.

"My Nana was the same," Eliza continues, sniffing as Isiah holds her hand, "my Nana was strong, and she made sure my mama was too. She saved me and my mama when I was younger, she always put a smile on my face. I'm named after my nana, and I hope I can make her proud... My Nana and my mama were bestest friends..." her words fall once more, however her loud sobs fill the field.

Isiah picks her up, ignoring her weight.

"You did so well," Micheal praises, going back to stand between Isiah and Rosemary. "Your mama would be so proud of you, Eliza."

Eliza sniffs as Isiah nods to Tommy. Tommy nods to Charlie Strong and Curly, and within minutes the trailer goes up in flames. The family continue to stare at the trailer.

Micheal vows to himself he'll get revenge for his mum and his sister, for neither one deserved their deaths.

Eliza looks at Florence.

"My mama..." she sobs in to Rosemary's chest, "my mama!"

"It's okay," Rosemary tries to comfort Florence, gently bouncing her up and down. "It's okay, Flo."

Florence shakes her head, "my mama!"
She wails, kicking her legs to get down. She kicks at Rosemary's stomach, catching her off guard. Rosemary drops her, and Florence runs towards the fire.

Ada is the quickest. She grabs hold of Florence, and swoops her up, ignoring the bulging of her stomach.

Florence looks at Ada, her tear stained cheeks are puffy and her eyes are bloodshot.
"My mama!" She wails, throwing her head against Ada's chest.

Ada breathes out, "let it out, sweetheart. Let it all out." She murmurs, shaking Florence's back comfortingly.

Dottie was once told not to let the madness win, and in the end it wasn't the madness that won. It was her kindness and her unwavering loyalty that killed her.

However, Dottie was laid to rest with the one person she loved more than anything. Her mum.

And together, Dottie and Polly could rest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 397 9
- 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑 the Shelby family think they've finally been set free from Freddie Thorne. Until.. or - 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑 the younger sister of Fred...
359K 10.3K 43
"You might as well shoot me, you've already ripped out my soul." [mature themes throughout]
2.7M 37.5K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)
90.3K 2.2K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...