Fifteen

Polly had banned both Micheal and Dottie from the races. She had argued to the pair of them, saying there was no need for either of them to be involved. Micheal had argued back, saying about the horses when Polly snapped.

"It's not about the horses! It's about power, Micheal! Tommy plans to overthrow Sabini, that means it's going to be dangerous! For him, for me, for you—"

Dottie was leaning against the wall, she raised her eyebrows. "Then why are you going, Mum?" She asks.

Polly whips her head round to Dottie. "I don't need you arguing with me."

"I'm not arguing with you, I'm simply asking if it's so dangerous, then why are you going? Surely you're best to be staying here then."

Polly shakes her head, "I have something I need to do." She places her hat upon her head, her hat pin in her hands as she slides it through her hat, securing it in place. "Please don't disobey me."

Polly looks at the pair.

"Alright, Mum," Dottie agrees, watching as her mother sighs.

Polly tilts her head, "thank you. Now I'll meet you both at the Garrison later tonight. Arthur or John will pick you up."

Dottie shakes her head, "alright, Mum, now go." She shoos her mother out of the room.

Dottie and Micheal watched as Polly nodded again, grabbing her clutch purse and leaving the house when Tommy pulled up in his car outside, pressing down on the car horn. She waved to her two children staring out the window as she climbed in to Tommy's black car.

Dottie is the first to pull away. She goes over to the table, picking up her bag and slotting it under her armpit. She looks in the mirror hanging above the large fireplace.

"Don't tell me you're going to the races." Micheal half scoffs.

Dottie rolls her eyes, "as if. I'm meeting Reggie."

Micheal raises his eyebrows, "things seem to be going well."

Dottie hums in response.

"We still haven't met him," Micheal says, staring at Dottie, who raises an eyebrow at him in response.

"Tom, Arthur and John have," Dottie responds, using a finger to smudge away some lipstick from the corner of her mouth.

Rolling his eyes, Micheal grunts. "Alright, fine. I haven't met him."

"He's coming to the garrison later," Dottie responds, "so you'll meet him tonight."

Micheal hums. "You seem to be seeing him a lot."

"Yeah, well, I like him," Dottie replies simply, "plus we can't all be like you. Sleeping with every girl you lay your eyes on."

Micheal doesn't respond, causing Dottie to smirk as she turns her head to look at her younger brother.

"Isiah told me," she says quickly, "after what happened in prison, maybe you grew up, hmm?" She asks sarcastically, stepping forward to stroke his cheek.

He stares down at her, glaring.

She grins as she slaps her hand against his cheek. "Come on. Come drive me to Small Heath."

"I'm not very good," Micheal hesitates, "Mum's only taken me on a few lessons."

"Then you'll learn some more, now come on."

                                    —

Dottie and Reggie were the last to arrive to the Garrison. Dottie had changed clothes. She now wore a black and gold dress that cling to her every curve and accentuated her breasts. It was one Reggie bought for her, along with the pearls decorating around her neck.

She was situated on Reggie's arm, who wore a black suit and a flat cap against his hair.

"It will be alright," she says to him as they walk down the cobbles of Watery Lane, "they won't be hard on you."

Reggie side eyes her, grunting almost. "It just feels unnatural. Your mum already knows who I am."

"No, she knows you as a blinder, but today she'll know you as the man I'm seeing."

"Your man?"

Dottie nods.

"Are you doing to drink tonight?" He asks, his question making Dottie frown.

"Maybe. I haven't thought about it much."

Reggie nods, "I think you should think about it. You know how you get when you're drunk."

Dottie hums causing Reggie to stop walking. Dottie halts too. Reggie takes hold of her chin, his fingertips grazing against her bare neck.

"I only worry about you when you're drunk. You don't know what's happening when you're out of your head, and we don't want that tonight, do we?"

Dottie doesn't respond as Reggie's scowl softens. His gray looming eyes growing large.

"I don't want to be the only one sober in that room."

"Reg—"

"Dottie," Reggie responds, "you know I don't like you drinking much. It will make your head hurt tomorrow, and then that's a day wasted. Yeah? We've been through this."

"But everyone else will be drinking."

Reggie raises one of his eyebrows, his piercing eyes glaring in to Dottie's. "Do you really need to follow everyone else? To become an alcoholic so you're like your cousins?"

"Reggie," Dottie warns, her voice lowering, "you know I don't allow anyone to talk bad about my family."

He nods, "alright, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that, I simply meant... I want you to enjoy tonight. And remember it. When you're drunk, you can hardly remember who you spoke to, let alone what was spoke about."

Dottie hums in response.

"So we're in an agreement?"

To keep the peace, Dottie nods causing Reggie to smile. He leans down to kiss her lips, to which she nudges her head away.

"Don't kiss my lips, my lipstick will be ruined."

He nods, hesitating slightly before kissing her forehead.

"We're going to be late," Dottie says.

Reggie nods in response, taking hold of her hand and leading her down the cobbled road.

"Let me warn you," Dottie starts, seeing the Garrison in her vision of line, "Micheal will be an arse to you. No matter what you do, he won't like you. That's just how he is with anyone I've brought home."

"You've brought many home before then?"

Dottie doesn't respond, "my mum I think will be pleasant, maybe? I'm not too sure, maybe she'll be like Micheal. Ada is lovely, she'll make you feel at home, with us. And then obviously Arthur, Tom and John are a different breed all together."

"I handle your cousins all day every day, I don't think today will be any different."

"Well you handle them whilst you're at work. They're your bosses, but now... now it's different, you're dating their younger cousin."

"The princess."

"I don't know how they'll be, but Ada has sworn to me they won't kill you."

The Hanging Nooseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें