Thirty-Four

After sleeping for most of the day, Dottie decided she was to move back in with Polly. She hated the thought of being away from her mum, she hated the thought of panicking around Eliza. She hated her brain at the moment too, she wasn't sure what triggered her panic with Isiah, the memories of screaming and crying became foggy as soon as she woke up in Polly's bed. She didn't see Isiah to apologise when her, Polly, Micheal and Eliza was leaving, and she was half thankful for that. She couldn't get over the embarrassment that her brain had caused her. Plus she was scared, scared of Isiah suggesting to Micheal that she should be locked away.

Polly's house hadn't changed in the two years Dottie was away. Every room was the same, every room including Dottie's. Polly had left the mess of clothes Dottie had left when she moved in with Reggie. The only thing that did change was there was a few photographs situating on the fireplace shelf. One was when Eliza was first born. The hospital had organised a photographer for all the new mothers, and Polly had insisted on Dottie and Eliza being photographed. A sleepy mother and daughter pair. The second photograph is off Dottie and Micheal underneath a tree with Dottie sat on Micheal's shoulders. And the third photograph is off Dottie and Polly, smiling and hugging each other.

Polly had the maids carry up the heavy and bulking suitcase before suggesting to Dottie that Eliza has her own room, however Eliza's large eyes started to water, her bottom lip stuck out and she shook her head.

"You want to sleep with your mama?" Polly asks, crouching down, "are you sure you don't want your own room? We can decorate it to how you want, we can do anything you want to it."

Eliza had shaken her head, "no Nana! I want my mama!"

"Little love, don't you want a big girls room?" Polly asks, holding Eliza's hands. "We can decorate it to however you want, and you'll be right next to your mama's room."

Eliza shakes her head. Her bottom lip puckering.

"Alright, little love," Polly purrs, pressing her lips against Eliza's temple, picking her up, "alright, sweetheart. When you do want your own room maybe when you're a little bit older, you let Nana know and Nana and Mama can decorate any room you want."

Eliza nods, leaning her head against Polly's chest. She yawns.

"Are you tired, little love?" Polly asks in a soft voice as she starts to sway, seeing the young girl wipe her eyes.

Eliza doesn't respond, instead she watches through the window, staring at the garden. It takes Eliza all about five minutes for her snores to enlighten the room, and once she's in a deep sleep, Polly ticks her in to bed, placing the spare pillows around the bed on the floor to make sure she won't hurt herself if she rolls out.

When her and Dottie go downstairs, they're greeted by Micheal, who has his hands in his pockets, waiting for the two women to make it downstairs in to the hallway.  He clears his throat.

"Dots, Tommy's suggested you sort out your house, you know, if you want to stay with Mum. He's said he can get it up on the market, get you some money."

Dottie freezes.

"It's only if you want to, if you're ready," Micheal continues, "it's just to... well get that part of your life closed."

Dottie shakes her head, "he's my child's father... I can't close the door to that."

"Eliza didn't know him," Polly interjects, "he wasn't around. She's only ever known you. She won't miss him."

But I will, Dottie thinks. Looking at Micheal and Polly, she then nods her head, wiping her eyes with her hands before giving Polly a small smile.