Summoning Japan: Flights of t...

De KageNishi

That day, iron and blood rained down on the Folk Strait... This is a fanfiction of Minorou-sensei's "Summonin... Mai multe

Part 1: Strait of Iron and Blood | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Pearl Harbor in Another World
Chapter 3 - Border Sea
Chapter 4 - A Spinning World
Chapter 6 - Pearl Harbor Interception
Chapter 7 - Glory and Setbacks of the Gra Valkas Empire Naval Air Force
Chapter 8 - Common Sense and Uncommon Sense
Chapter 9 - Grade Atlastar Ablaze
Chapter 10 - A Fleet of Patchworks
Chapter 11 - The Injured Overlord and the Watchdogs
Chapter 12 - A Man's Flowery Road
Chapter 13 - Hybrid Front
Chapter 14 - The Hyūga Gets Hit
Chapter 15 - All Weapons Free
Chapter 16 - Strait of Iron and Blood
Final Chapter - Japanese Celgaia
Extra Chapter - ASM-2X Development Secrets
Part 2: Civilization in the Wake of War | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - The Dolphins That Crossed the Sea
Chapter 3 - The Birth of Yamut
Chapter 4 - Aluminum Storm
Chapter 5 - Dancing Meetings and People
Chapter 6 - Naguano's Adventure
Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party
Chapter 8 - Creeping Ones
Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different
Chapter 10 - Second Battle of the Folk Strait
Chapter 11 - Geopolitical Recommendations
Chapter 12 - The Superpower's Pride
Chapter 13 - Japan's Confession
Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo
Chapter 15 - Leiforia, Nightmare Again
Chapter 16 - Fall of Valkyries
Chapter 17 - 1:48
Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge
Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour
Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II
Chapter 21 - Eve of the Storm
Chapter 22 - Ancient Weapon Pal Chimera's Fierce Might
Chapter 23 - Footsteps of Ruin
Chapter 24 - Air Raid on Ragna
Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead
Final Chapter - Political Turn
Part 3: Irnetia Crisis | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Operation Ragnarök
Chapter 3 - Misplaced Buttons
Chapter 4 - Shadow of the Pal Chimera
Chapter 5 - Battle of Irnetia
Chapter 6 - The Blue Rainbow of Death
Chapter 7 - Titan of the Dawn
Chapter 8 - Red Coast
Chapter 9 - Hymax
Chapter 10 - Out of Competition
Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain
Chapter 12 - The Lone Wolf and the Wolfpack
Chapter 13 - Excessive Interference
Chapter 14 - Magic Bulge
Chapter 15 - Stuck in Hell
Chapter 16 - Hell with a Chance of Silver Lining
Chapter 17 - Fire, Smoke, and Magic Bullets
Extra Chapter - The Secret Behind the Magic Bulge's Creation

Chapter 5 - Operation Saiyuki In Effect

552 23 6
De KageNishi

The 8th Air Wing/6th Tactical Fighter Squadron of the Air Self-Defense Force arrived at the Rubile Airport in the New Kingdom of Altaras via the Goma Air Base in the Kingdom of Sios from their home base in Tsuiki.

When Lieutenant Colonel Misora who led the unit disembarked from his F-2B fighter, he confirmed the presence of his wingmen who had flown together. All planes had already completed taxiing, and each pilot was in the process of disembarking from their F-2As.

All F-2s were equipped with their maximum load, literally. Under the main wings, pylons carried four ASM-2s and two drop tanks of 600 gallons each, while one 300-gallon drop tank hung under the fuselage. Additionally, one AAM-3 missile was attached to each wingtip. With all three tanks filled to capacity, they were at the maximum takeoff weight with heavy armament. Large aircraft were conspicuous in the surroundings, with the E-767 AWACS particularly standing out. The unmistakable radome identified it. Besides the radar dome, there were two identical KC-767 aerial refueling aircraft. Moreover, numerous C-130 transport planes were present.

"They've flown quite a distance from Komaki," Captain Chikata, who had been standing nearby for some time, spoke.

"Nope, Heggie, you're wrong."

Misora pointed to the differently colored C-130, referring to Chikata's TAC name, "Heggie."

Members of the JASDF pilots have nicknames assigned when communicating via radio. These are known as TAC names. Personal equipment like helmets also bear the owner's TAC name. This is a tradition unique to the JASDF; the JMSDF's aviation units do not use TAC names. While the US military has a similar tradition, American pilots use callsigns for radio communication. The integration of callsigns and nicknames is unique to the JASDF. There are various theories about the roots of this tradition, and the true origin is unclear. The latest theory, picked up on the internet and turned into a joke within the squadron by Heggie, suggests that fighter pilots must have a touch of chuunibyou to qualify.

Heggie had heard this theory and shared it within the squadron, leading to self-deprecating laughter from everyone. Misora was no exception. The only reason he couldn't completely dismiss it was that he had a bit of self-awareness.

"Is that... the MSDF's C-130R!? Heggie exclaimed in a wild voice.

"Correct. The fact that the MSDF is participating means things are getting serious."

"Will sparks fly in Cartalpas?"

"In preparation for that, the MSDF has dispatched an escort fleet with a temporary formation. But it seems the escort fleet alone won't be enough to handle it."

"Even we won't be able to put them out once the mushroom cloud rises."

The possibility of the Gra Valkas Empire possessing nuclear weapons was known not only to the SDF but also to the general public.

"The politicians will make a decision by then. It's not something for us to worry about."

Misora patted Heggie on the shoulder. They joined other colleagues and headed towards the airport facilities. On the way, they witnessed their planes being towed into the hangar by the airport ground crew using a tow truck. The fully equipped F-2s looked quite heavy, entirely uncharacteristic of typical fighter jets.

. . .

The F-2 was initially referred to as a support fighter.

When the FS-X (the name for the F-2 at the time of development) project began, the requirements set by the ATLA at the time were to have the capability to carry four anti-ship missiles. At that time, there was no existing aircraft that met this specification. The ATLA aimed for domestic development, but due to the issues of the Japan-US trade imbalance at the time, it was eventually decided to jointly develop the aircraft based on the US Air Force's F-16C fighter.

During that period, military aircraft used to attack other aircraft were called fighters, while those attacking ground or maritime targets were called attack aircraft. The F-2, primarily designed for anti-ship missions, fell into the category of attack aircraft. However, due to the mysterious logic of the Kasumigaseki bureaucracy stating that "it is clumsy for the Self-Defense Forces, with a purely defensive stance, to possess attack aircraft," the F-2 ended up being classified as a support fighter, a term only recognized within Kasumigaseki. Later, as multirole aircraft capable of handling air-to-air, air-to-ground, and anti-ship missions became mainstream worldwide, the distinction between fighters and attack aircraft became obsolete. Consequently, the F-2 came to be referred to as a fighter.

Certainly, the air combat capabilities of the F-2 were superior to the previous generation F-4. However, within the same generation of fighters, it had its shortcomings, as the F-2 was developed as an attacker.

One example is the engine. The bypass ratio of the F110-IHI-129 engine was 0,76, relatively high among fighter engines. A higher bypass ratio improves fuel efficiency but decreases thrust at high speeds. The F-2 prioritized the cruising range during subsonic flight over the supersonic maneuverability, meeting the ATLA's requirement of a "mission radius of 450 nautical miles (approximately 883 kilometers) or more" (for reference, the bypass ratio of commercial aircraft engines is more than ten times that of the F-2. This focus on fuel efficiency during cruising in the stratosphere resulted in more fuel consumption during takeoff and landing).

Though a minor detail, the F-16's canopy was made of a one-piece molded bubble-type plastic. With no seams, there were no obstructions in the pilot's field of vision. This was advantageous in aerial combat and reduced stress on the pilot. However, the F-2 adopted a conventional reinforced glass canopy. When conducting anti-ship attacks flying close to the sea surface, there was a risk of collision with seabirds. The strength of the plastic was insufficient to protect the pilot from the impact of a bird strike. In this way, the F-2 fighter is so specialized for anti-ship attacks that it earned the nickname "Anti-Ship Boss."

Even this Anti-Ship Boss is experiencing the wave of multi-role capabilities. While initially equipped only with American-made AIM-9L Sidewinder and AIM-7F/M Sparrow air-to-air missiles and domestically produced AAM-3, the aging of these missiles became noticeable over time. Consequently, the domestically developed AAM-4 could be loaded onto the F-2 (the AAM-4 was originally developed as a Japanese-made AMRAAM for the F-15J Kai. As the US initially decided to provide AMRAAM only to NATO member countries, Japan had to develop a missile equivalent or superior to it). Simultaneously, the radar was upgraded to J/APG-2, and the air combat capabilities jumped from below average for the same generation to top-class in the Far East (of the old world).

While the F-2 was evolving into a fighter in Japan, the F-16 was evolving into an attack aircraft in the United States. The latest F-16E/F stopped suspending additional fuel tanks under the aircraft for carrying various ground attack missiles and bombs, instead attaching them on top of the aircraft.

Misora had once seen an F-16F at an American military base. The conformal tanks protruding from the back looked odd and excessively heavy. He felt, "This can no longer be called a fighter." Although Misora, a Viper Zero driver, had the primary mission of anti-ship attacks, he still believed that the true romance of a man lay in aerial combat. The F-2 didn't need CFTs. Misora had come to hold such an opinion. He was aware that this aspect of himself was somewhat chuunibyou-like.

. . .

When the pilots entered the room assigned as the briefing room, several JASDF officers were already waiting. One of them was a familiar face. The pilots saluted (with a bow, as they were indoors and without hats). Misora noticed that the person had the fresh rank insignia of a newly promoted squadron leader.

"Congratulations on your promotion, Sir."

"Enough with the formalities. Just call me 'Sanzou.'"

He introduced himself using the TAC name he had used during his pilot days.

Sanzou was the squadron leader of the 8th Air Wing/6th Tactical Fighter Squadron two generations ago. While the majority of pilots had changed since his active duty days, Misora had experienced being under Sanzou's command.

"I'm sure you already have an idea, but I've been assigned as the Theater Air Control Officer."

The Theater Air Control Officer is a post created after the transference, serving as the commander of the JASDF's overseas deployment unit. Therefore, the pilots simply referred to them as the "Commander."

. . .

The JASDF divided Japan into four areas and deployed seven air wings (in addition to two non-combat air wings) in what is known as zone defense. This setup was deemed sufficient when they adhered to a policy of non-aggression before the transference. However, the transference to the new world altered the fundamental premises of national defense. Japan lost all its alliances and friendly countries, including the United States. Faced with the need to deploy forces both domestically and internationally as required, the JASDF encountered new challenges.

The first trial was the Louria Incident (Japan did not recognize the Kingdom of Louria as an independent state, so it avoided using terms like "kingdom" and "war"). The JASDF secured control of the airspace over Jin-Hark (of course, avoiding the term "capital city") and conducted airstrikes on the military port. The issue at that time was where to establish a base, which was resolved by having the JGSDF construct a runway in Ejei. However, the problem arose regarding who would take command of the flying squadrons since the Rodenius Continent was not considered in the zone defense.

During this incident, units were dispatched from the Western Air Defense Force, which deployed both F-15J Kai and F-2 fighters. The command was assumed by the headquarters of the Western Air Defense Force. However, the Air Staff officers were left with a weighty task. This was merely a makeshift solution to the immediate crisis.

The F-2s are currently deployed for operational use only by the Northern Air Defense Force and the Western Air Defense Force. If they followed the methods used in the Louria Incident, this would place a significant burden on these two regions. The conclusion reached by the Air Sta officers was to establish a command structure independent of domestic command systems for overseas deployment units. This would allow for flexible organizations not bound by domestic deployments. This solution was generally accepted by the various air defense force headquarters. There seemed to be no more realistic alternatives, and despite being temporary, an increase in high-ranking officer positions was not a disadvantage. The SDF is a part of the Ministry of Defense, and they are, after all, a legitimate government agency.

. . .

Having received the explanation for Operation Saiyuki, Misora thought it was nothing more than a theoretical exercise on paper. The sentiment was shared by other pilots as well. The plan was to send a formation of 10 F-2s from Altaras Island to the west, attack the Gra Valkan fleet presumed to be lurking around the Cartalpas area, and then return to Altaras. In essence, that was it, but there were several problems.

Firstly, Altaras Island and Cartalpas were approximately 10.000 kilometers apart along the great-circle route, which amounted to nearly 20.000 kilometers for a round trip. In Earth terms, it was a distance comparable to that between Japan and Brazil, or roughly reaching the other side of the world. The F-2 had good fuel efficiency. Even with full equipment, they could fly around 3.000 kilometers on a ferry flight. However, this was only a seventh of the required distance.

Moreover, there were no airports along the way where they could land. The only option for refueling was through aerial refueling, and it needed to be done at least six times for a single flight. If they flew at the most fuel-efficient cruising speed, the flight time would be almost a full day. Using afterburners to fly at maximum speed would cut the time in half, but fuel efficiency would deteriorate to one-third. Even with full tanks in the aircraft and additional fuel tanks, they would run out of fuel in less than 90 minutes.

Furthermore, all these calculations were based on the assumption that nothing would happen during the journey. If something did occur, all calculations would go awry. What if they encountered the Gra Valkan air units? What if they got caught in unknown jet streams? In the worst-case scenario during the outbound leg, they could abort the mission and return. But what about the return leg? Everyone might crash into the sea, drifting for days without being found, given the vast search area.

'Sanzou-san, what are you thinking?'

Misora found it concerning. If Sanzou, who used to be an F-2 pilot, didn't notice such things, it didn't make sense. He might have noticed things that Misora didn't.

The Sanzou that Misora knew, aside from being someone to admire as a person, was a reliable superior and a capable pilot. He was a pilot who knew better than anyone what dangers lurked in the sky and was not the kind of superior who needlessly exposed subordinates to danger. Although he had retired from being a pilot, not enough time had passed for someone to change so drastically. Misora didn't want to think that he was swayed by the rank of Major General.

If Sanzou noticed the issues, he would have raised them with higher-ups, even though the specific individuals were unknown. If he couldn't get satisfactory answers, he should have refused to take on the role of Theater Air Control Officer.

'It seems the situation is more critical than I initially thought if Sanzou-san is accepting a tightrope walk like this...'

Misora decided to trust Sanzou. Instead of opposing the operation, he would identify the points of concern.

"How are we going to navigate?" Misora raised the most significant question.

"Basically, you are going to use inertial navigation."

Misora and the other pilots all balked.

. . .

About a month ago, there was an aviation accident off the eastern coast of Hokkaidō. A C-2 transport plane got caught in a magnetic storm that rendered it temporarily uncontrollable. When the magnetic storm subsided, it was discovered that the aircraft had moved over a thousand kilometers north from its original position. Fortunately, it managed to reach Hokkaidō before running out of fuel, so there were no human or material losses. However, if they had realized the displacement later, an emergency landing in the northern sea wouldn't have been out of the question.

Although there were no damages, the Japan Transport Safety Board and the JASDF launched an investigation into this serious incident. The analysis of the flight recorder revealed that the time during which the aircraft was uncontrollable due to the magnetic storm was less than a minute. During that time, the aircraft would have moved over a thousand kilometers, an impossible feat even at the C-2's maximum speed. External forces were the only plausible explanation, but the inertial navigation system (INS) did not record any suspicious acceleration.

Various theories and speculations were thrown around, but the cause remained unknown. The interim report was issued with the conclusion that, given the unknown cause, "it is effective to avoid relying solely on INS and to confirm the current position through multiple means as much as possible."

Of course, the pilots read that report.

. . .

"I said 'basically.' But you are also going to use celestial measurements."

While the other pilots remained skeptical, Misora felt a revelation. The answer to the question he had been feeling since piloting the F-2B at Tsuiki Air Base was now apparent.

"Are you telling me we're bringing a sextant into the cockpit?"

Heggie, this wasn't a joke. The Commander was dead serious about it.

"I don't expect everyone to handle a sextant. Let me introduce someone," Sanzou said, and a young female JASDF (WAF) officer stood up. Then she bowed.

"This is Aya Hasebe, a staff sergeant from the Rubile Airport operations unit. She's a meteorological forecaster and also a passionate astronomy enthusiast. Hasebe-san will be in charge of celestial navigation. Gokuu, please take Hasebe-san in your rear seat."

'Gokuu' is Misora's TAC name. The origin is as you might imagine.

. . .

There are single-seater F-2A and two-seater F-2B variants of the F-2. Since flying can be handled by a single pilot, the F-2A is typically used for regular missions, while the F-2B is commonly used for pilot training. However, both F-2A and F-2B have identical catalog performances, so when needed, the F-2B can perform missions similarly. It's not well-known, but in the JASDF, pilots do not have what is commonly known as a "favorite plane."

In the JASDF, aircraft maintenance personnel are assigned specific aircraft known as "kitsuki." Their mission is to keep their assigned aircraft in the best condition at all times. Conversely, pilots are not assigned specific aircraft. They fly whichever aircraft is in the best condition at that time. Therefore, the aircraft a pilot flies can change with each mission, preventing undue burden on a specific pilot. Some fighter jets have the names of specific individuals written on them, but these names belong to the aircraft maintenance chief, not the pilot.

. . .

When passing through Tsuiki Air Base, Misora was assigned the F-2B. As this was unusual, he confirmed with the maintenance crew, and the response was, "This is currently the plane in the best condition." As a pilot borrowing an aircraft from the maintenance crew, there was nothing more to ask once such a statement was made.

'That was a conditional answer, saying it's the best among the F-2Bs.'

Misora finally realized that everything was likely orchestrated by Sanzou.

There was a chorus of "Hoo... hoo..." among the young pilots. If they envied it so much, he thought he would gladly switch with them, but Misora said a different thing.

"Absolutely no sending selfies. I'm scared of my wife more than a wyvern. I'm a henpecked husband."

Of course, it was a joke to lighten the tension among colleagues. Altaras Island had no internet or even mobile phone service. The excited voices thus turned into laughter.

Sanzou offered a bow to Misora, and Staff Sergeant Hasebe greeted nervously.

"It's an honor to ride with the famous Dragon Killer Gokuu-san's plane!"

Hearing that, Misora's feelings became complicated.

In the Battle of Fenn, Misora sank two wyvern carriers. In the air raid of Duro, he shot down three Wyvern Lords in aerial combat. He's known as the Japanese man who killed the most wyverns. However, he can't boast about it for a specific reason.

'What I killed were lizards, not dragons.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "fighter pilot = chuunibyou" theory is a fiction I created. Please do not take it seriously.

- Mukyomukyo

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

86.6K 3K 51
"𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡, 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥, 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐀𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐥𝐞" 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Caitlin Clark fa...
1.1M 19.3K 132
requests (open) walker scobell imagines AND preferences :) -- #1 - riordan (04.30.24) #1 - leenascobell (05.29.24) #2 - adamreed (04.30.24) #2 - momo...
98.9K 2.9K 31
"she does not remind me of anything, everything reminds me of her." lando norris x femoc! social media x real life 2023 racing season
140K 5.8K 102
a sister who's actions are untamed, and a brother who's feelings are untamed. With complete different personalities, yet an awesome bond, the sibling...