From Within The Sand (Sunstre...

By Shelby77gt

Hart is a soldier stationed with NEST. She is just like any other soldier, or so everyone thinks. Sideswipe c... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 5

191 8 4
By Shelby77gt

Optimus takes a few steps forward, watching the two kick up dust. His optics are squinting, his face almost squished together. If you can even say that metal can squish. I wonder what's got him thinking so hard. I'm curious about what Sunstreaker had said about his journey here. It's none of my concern. I really shouldn't care. Just do my job and figure out my own issues. I turn back to my computer and go to work.

The two come flying in hours later. Us soldiers are just finishing up, ready to end the day. I got an hour or two before sunset, so I'm hoping to leave soon. I shut my computer down and I get up to leave. I keep my head down, trying to not be noticed. Unfortunately, I'm unlucky as I hear my name being called out. It stops me in my tracks.

"Hart, come meet my brother." Sideswipe calls out again after I don't move.

I put on a slight smile, trying not to look suspicious. Then I slowly turn around. The second my eyes connect with Sunstreaker, he gets a confused look on his face. Then he skates closer to me and bends down. I back up as he gets in my face. His optics taking in every inch of my face, and I see the realization hit him.

"It's you." He finally says after a moment. "From the cliff."

"Um..." I start, unsure of how I want to go about this, but I'm cut off.

"What are you talking about, Sunny?" Sideswipe intervenes.

"I told you about the human who fell through my servo when I landed, remember?" He pauses, looking at his twin, "It's her."

"Hart? She's human, she can't go through things. None of them can. You were probably just mixed up from the landing." I feel a small bit of relief from Sideswipes reasoning.

"No. I didn't imagine it. She fell through my servo. Then she got up and vanished." Sunstreaker argued.

Both Sideswipe and I look at him with confusion. My mind is racing. Part of me hopes he will think it's a crazy though and leave it alone. However, I know when Sideswipe has his mind set, he doesn't drop it. I have a feeling Sunstreaker will be the same.

"Stop looking at me like that. It happened. Tell them 'Hart'" Sunstreaker looks down at me, his eyes begging me to answer.

I know he wants me to tell the truth, but I can't do it.

"I don't know what you're talking about. We aren't allowed out by the cliff. It's dangerous. The cliff can easily give way and death can occur. I happen to like life." I let the words slip easily from my lips.

"You're Lying." He says through clenched teeth. "I remember your face."

His face is close to mine. I can feel his breath on my face. I keep a straight face. From what I've learned Cybertronians have a seemingly good memory. I have no doubts he remembers my face. My only hope is he lets it go.

"Sunny..." Sideswipe puts a servo between us.

"Don't call me that!" Sunstreaker roars, pulling back and smacking Sideswipes servo away.

"Sunstreaker, leave her alone. She wasn't there. Hart isn't a liar. She helped convinced me you were still alive." Sideswipe snaps.

"I'm your twin. You should believe me. Not some fleshy." Sunstreaker sneers.

"I do believe you. I just think maybe you hit your head a little too hard." Sideswipe tries not to aggravate Sunstreaker more.

"I know what I saw." He growls, then he transforms quickly and speeds out of the hangar.

"I can't believe him. He's got brain rust or something." Sideswipe says watching his brother leave, "I'm sorry, Hart. I don't know what's gotten into him."

"I'm sorry I set him off." I say as the guilt of starting the argument eats me alive.

"I'm gonna go talk to him. Maybe once he calms down, we can hang out." He says with a light tone.

"Sideswipe, just spend time with your brother." I say with a small smile.

"Thanks, Hart." He says swiftly before skating out the hangar after his twin.

I let out the breath I was holding in. If Sunstreaker keeps this up, I might not make it out alive. Figuratively speaking, that is. As much as I want to go out to the cliff. Now might be a good time to lay low on that. I could easily jump there from my room, but if he goes out there, he will see me. If I try to keep my cover, I can't 'vanish into thin air' as Sunstreaker says I did. He would also question how I got there so fast. My barracks room would be the best bet for tonight and the next few days.

While most soldiers are heading to the chow hall, I walk leisurely to my barracks room, and I kick the door shut behind me. In the middle of my room, I let out a silent scream. Out of anyone to find out, it had to be the new guy. A bot I've only heard rumors about. I can't let him dig deeper into this. No one can find out the truth. Absolutely no one. There is a reason I haven't gotten close to anyone. Why did this have to happen to me?

Morning doesn't come quick enough. I laid in bed all night. Scenarios of all that could occur if my secret got out, ran through my head. Down to every little detail. None of them ended good. I vanish forever in them all. Everything goes black until a new scenario starts. The urge to go out to the cliff is strong, but I need to suppress it. At least for a few days. I can make it a few days. It's not like I have to go every day. There have been times I couldn't go out because of work. So, I can do this. I know I can.

After a few extra moments, I finally get up and head out to my station in the hanger. Unfortunately, I didn't make it too far. A servo reaches down trying to grab me. I see it out of the corner of my eye and I'm able to dodge it. Just barely. I hear a grunt of frustration and I turn around to the golden bot standing behind me.

"What was that for?" I shout, not happy that he's trying to sneak up on me.

He bends down and whispers, "You not a normal human and I'm going to prove it. You went through my servo. I want to know why."

"Sunstreaker, I did no such thing. I am a normal human. I can't phase through things. Watch." I go to the nearest wall and push my hand against it. I stay put, not moving through it.

"You must be able to turn it off. This proves nothing." He sneers before storming off.

"Rude." I huff, then continue my way to my station.

This is going to be harder than I thought. I don't like the idea of having to watch my back all the time. I'm always careful, but this is going to be the next level. A bump or pat on the back is one thing, but being grabbed is another. Didn't Optimus tell Sunstreaker it's not okay to grab humans unless in an emergency? I feel like that should be in the top five rules of Earth. It might be easier to stay around more soldiers. I'm less likely to get picked up if I'm in a group.

"Hart, we got training with the bots today." Corporal Anderson, a soldier from my squad comes up to me as I walk into the hanger.

"Good to go. Let me run back and get my gear. Who we starting with?" I ask.

"Weapons with Ironhide and Sideswipe. Though, I think it's just Ironhide. Sideswipe is still dealing with his twin. I think." He explains.

"Sounds good. I'll meet you there." He nods and I run back to my room.

A part of me is relieved that Sideswipe won't be a part of training. Hopefully it means Sunstreaker will be distracted. I wonder if Sunstreaker will be integrated into training. What would his specialty be? Maybe he won't want to train humans. I'm the only one I've seen him really talk too. Even if it is him rightfully accusing me. As long as I stick to the lie, hopefully I'll be good. And if he gives up, I pray he gives up. I get back to the hanger in my gear and meet up with the rest of my squad.

"Alright, in pairs you're going to distract and attack. While one of you keeps my focus on you, the other will focus on shooting my weak points. In between the armor at the joint." Ironhide instructs.

We pair off and Ironhide gets into position.

"One more thing, don't die." Ironhide says chuckling.

I can't help but roll my eyes. Luckily my head was lowered, and my helmet is covering my eyes enough that he can't see. I would have been forced to go first if he had. You don't mess with Ironhide. The first set goes up against the large beefy bot. His weapons are out, not charged, but I know they can be ready in seconds. I've seen them in action, though, that feels so long ago. We do a lot of training here, but it's nothing like what happens in real life. In an actual war zone. My squad may not get off base much, but every one of us has seen the bots in action. The training never does it justice.

I mentally prepare myself for my turn. Getting myself ready to keep myself solid. It takes a lot out of me to keep this charade up. A lot of focus and multitasking. If I slip up and lose focus Ironhide's servo will go right through me. Our squad only has these session once a month, so it's not a problem. If I had to do this more often, like I used too, I wouldn't be able to hold up this imitation for long.

A soldier gets thrown to the side by Ironhide and the one that was supposed to attack almost gets squished. He dodges out of the way just in time.

"You both are dead. Next!" Ironhide shouts.

The next pair goes, and they try a different tactic. There would be so many ways for me to take a bot down, but I'm a living, breathing, solid human. Not whatever thing I currently am. The next set is able to get one shot at our trainer before they go down. One groans a bit from the ground before getting help up. Next up is my partner and me. My partner is a nervous newbie. I can see him shaking while he holds his rifle.

"You distract. I'll attack." I whisper into the private's ear.

"How do I do that?" He whisper shouts back.

"Did you not do any of the training sessions before coming here?" I growl out under my breath.

"I... Uh..." He stutters.

"Dodge back and forth." I tell him. "Maybe sing and dance too."

He gives me a dumbfounded look and I smirk.

"Next!" Ironhide shouts.

The private goes forward first. Slower than I would have liked. Ironhide has his optics on both of us. The private starts zigzagging back and forth, getting closer. Ironhide focuses on him. I sidestep off to the side. Keeping low to the ground. I make my way behind him. Unfortunately, he catches on. He steps back and I dive out of the way. He turns around and aims his weapon at me.

"Shoot him!" I yell to the private.

The private takes 'the shot' in between Ironhide's armor. Then a few more, taking him down.

"Ah switching tactics. Good call." Ironhide says impressed.

"It worked out." I say, standing up.

"Did everyone just see what happened? They switched after the focus switched. She would have died but he was able to get some good shots at me. Resulting in me dying or badly damaged." Ironhide explained. "Keep that in mind. Next!" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 618 41
Aubrey Lambert, a Game Warden for the state of Maine, has had a rough past. It had made her into the person she is today. She is exceedingly independ...
7.4K 197 19
What if home is the most dangerous place to be... *** When Skye just turned 10, a horrible murder took...
9.3K 755 41
One year passed after Sunstreaker got executed for his crimes. Skylar never got over the death of the psychopath she started to care about. Her happi...
111K 4.5K 97
A semi-ordinary teenage girl who has had to fend for herself for many years due to emotional neglect from her parents, taking part in an underground...