Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 12 - Ignite
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive
Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To
Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt
To You, What Hidden Behind Your Eyelids

Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)

298 5 2
By Kiriyarin_

Madoka's POV:

Nights often do not offer me a good sleep. I wish to express that, within the framework of my life, the prioritization of sleep appears to hold a comparatively lesser degree of importance.

The light on the curtains tells me it's morning once again, this time I'm sure. But tonight was different, I had a clear sleep for the first time in months. The Crystal Hills incident must have had an effect on my sleep pattern, whether it was positive or not will be known in the upcoming nights.

I hear footsteps outside my room now. Someone must be on their way to wake me awake. It can't be Mori, my butler is currently on leave for the day.

''Madoka-nee-sama, rise and shine. Everyone has already left.'' A hand turns the room-lights on. ''Does Mori-san do this every morning? Incredible.''

''...I thought it would be one of the maids. May I ask why you are not currently on the way school?"

''Haha, indeed you may. I had to get ready so I'll be leaving late. You also have last finals today, you were supposed to be up early too.'' His appearance remains as fancy as always—no less than expected. "Hold on, did you take off your clothes in before sleep? That means... Madoka-nee-sama, did you finally manage to get a proper night's rest?"

''It's possible. Fatigue is not something I can't handle.''

''In any case, I wanted to wake you up today since Mori-san is away. Unfortunately, dear big sister, we don't attend a school as close as yours. We need to wake up at least two or three hour earlier to go to the Holy Forest, and you know how nauseating helicopters are, my my.''

"Hideo, the decision to go to school by helicopter was of your own." I stated. "Is the shirt you are wearing the one I purchased for your birthday?"

''Exactly.'' He smiled. ''Actually, this is one of the most fashionable models right now. A design from Tokyo Fashion Magazine's top page to be clear. No offense, Madoka-nee-sama, but I never thought you picking a gift like this one. You know...you're not exactly the best at fashion.''

Hideo Hosoki, my brother. He's also attending the Holy Forest Academy like all my other siblings. Due to the considerable distance of their school, they travel by helicopter every day for school. A routine that differs from mine.

Hideo is someone who is quite fond of fashion, the one may call him a fashionista. Whenever there is a fashion or clothing problem at home, he is always the problem solver.

''We bought it with an...acquaintance of mine. Don't give me all the credit.''

The shirt he's wearing is the birthday gift we chose together that day with Butterfly. I had no idea it was such a trend.

''Then please convey my gratitude to you and that acquaintance of yours, haha. I was considering purchasing it as well, but it appears that you acted before me. I personally preared your clothes ready today so you'll look extra eye-catching today. I left them in your bathroom.''

''What's exactly wrong with my sweater and jacket?'' I stand up from my bed and adjust my bra. It's getting tighter these days. I need to order for a new one. ''...''

"H-huh?! N-n-nothing! Ahahaha...! They definitely look good on you, but how about trying something different today?" He let out a nervous chuckle. "And since I'm the one picking out your clothes today, I wanted to change things up a bit. In truth, I didn't have time to order anything new, so I borrowed Sendo-nee-sama's jacket. I assume she's already bored to death in Kyoto by now, so she won't have the chance to say anything."

''I hope you're not exaggerating this matter too much. While my knowledge of fashion is limited, you know of my ideas regarding overly extravagant dressing."

''Yeah yeah, that's precisely why you stick to black and white." Hideo shrug and roll his eyes. ''Just trust me, big sister. Remember, I designed that ballgown dress for your field trip. You used it, didn't you? So, even you might like my choices.''

''It was indeed a commendable job, I'll give you that. Perhaps even...too good.'' I sigh, all I can do. ''So be it, I'll wear it if it's not too much.''

''You won't regret, haha. My designs bring out the beauty in everyone, although Madoka-nee-sama is already beautiful so I don't have much left to do.''

"I only see myself as an ordinary woman. I've never considered myself beautiful; it's you all who keep insisting on it."

"Mmm~~ Nee-sama really doesn't see herself at the mirror too often, doesn't she? Well, my helicopter awaits. I must take my leave now.''

''. . .''

''I'm out. Peace.''

After Hideo take his leave, I went to my bathroom to finish off my daily routine. I have a habit of taking a shower every morning, it helps me start the day on a positive note. Every maid and butler at Hosoki Mansion is well-acquainted with my morning routine to ensure my clothes are prepared in the bathroom

Today is no exception. As I step in, I find the attire Hideo has arranged for me neatly ironed and meticulously laid out on the basket.

''...''

I always take a brisk ten-minute shower; but sometimes, I wish I could savor the warmth of the water a bit longer, but not today. The day awaits, and today is a crucial day. As the family heir, my grades are expected to be nothing but perfect.

Throughout my high school years, I have never received a grade other than a perfect score, and I'm nearing my end of high school times. Graduation is very close, and after everything is said and done, I'll be a worthy successor to my mother.

My days-off are practically nonexistent. I sacrificed a day and night to ensure that The Crystal Hills incident wouldn't disrupt my schedule. Maybe that's why, for the first time, I could truly had a decent night's rest.

Nevertheless, I maintain hope for that Butterfly and her sisters will end up getting along well.

''...Ugh, too much...'' Shortly, I get out of the shower and look at my chosen clothes. He would, of course, exaggerate— exactly the opposite of what I had warned him about.

I stood in front of the mirror that I had stood in front of countless times after getting dressed.

Beauty is such a enigmatic term. My siblings, the maids, even my butler—everyone I know—insists that I possess an inherent beauty but when I see into the mirror, I only see myself. Nothing more, nothing less.

Where is this beauty they speak of? Am I missing something?...

.

.

.

— [ 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐬, 𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝟓 ] —

''What'cha doin' Hosoki-chan? You know, the exam might start just now, shouldn't you be studying?''

''Reading a book, Anita. Also, I am very aware of time of the exam schedule.''

"Wow yeesh stone-lady, as distant as ever. I mean, you're rocking that firecracker outfit today, so I figured maybe you were in the mood to mingle. Bummer."

''A minor disorder. Rest assure, it won't happen again.''

''No no no, don't say that! Those huge treasures, and by mean your boobies, need to show off! Otherwise, how do you plan to pick up men?''

''...?''

Within the confines of Asahiyama, the details of my past remain veiled in secrecy within the academy's precincts. In this way; my class environment feels more comfortable in communicating with me— Nothing alike with my middle school years.

The girl opposite me, Anita Aono, serves as a prime example. She shared the same class with me throughout my entire high school life, three years. 

"Heeey, kidding, kidding!~ Just gotta shake off my stress, y'know? Unlike you, I'm not the top student among the third years. Are you planning to drop from first place anytime now? Girl, if you manage to come out top-student for three years in a row, people might start thinking you're a robot, or maybe an alien, or both. Alien robots."

I closed my book and place it under my desk. ''Alien robots are not real. It would be unreasonable.''

''You really don't get the jokes, do you? But since it's the first time I've seen you dress like this, I'll cut you some slack just this once." Anita pivots in her seat to face me, and rests her arm on my desk. ''So, do you have any after-school plans? You know, this is the last exam, Hosoki-chan. A few of girls from different classes are planning to find some guys and have a little blind get-together party. Wanna hit on?''

''I must decline. I have scheduled private sessions tonight.''

''Booh, sooooo boring! I've never seen anyone preparing for the university exam this hard. I mean seriously, how many times can you go to home-class in a single week? You did yesterday, then the day before and the day before before. I'd never ever sacrifice a day in my life to take an extra math class.''

It's a session on Community Management, not mathematics.

"I can imagine. Additionally, I can say that you are also experiencing sleep deprivation attributable to exam-related stress, as shown by the noticeable twitching of your arm...on my desk."

Anita's right arm exhibits tremors, a consequence of diminished muscle control from insufficient sleep. Despite her attempts to hide it, my eyes never deceive me.

She pouts. ''H-h-hey! I'm not the topic here. The topic here is that you have no social life and—''

''Give Madoka-chan a break, Anita. Not everyone is going to enjoy blind dates.''

''...Good morning, class rep! Aww come on, I just don't want the fancy outfit to go to waste.''

"Some of us prioritize our future over the present. I believe that deserves respect." The boy slung his bag over his shoulder and settled into the desk behind me. ''Good morning, Anita. Madoka-chan.''

''Tohma, good morning.'' I greeted the newly arrived person, only to be met with silence. ''...''

''Now that you're here— What do you say, class rep? About Hosoki-chan's outfit? Maybe a male's comment might just be the encouragement she needs."

''...I think she needs more than that. But if you need my take; it rocks, Madoka-chan. Are you going on a date? An after-exam date?''

Class representative, Tohma. He has a trustworthy personality, that's why he was elected representative during the start of the year. I declined myself from representative candidacy, deeming it equitable to afford others an equal opportunity.

''No, I just took fashion advice from the wrong person. It was my fault for not knowing that he'd choose something too flashy for school.''

Anita crossed her arms. ''This is the wrong advice?... Alright, it's official. You are an alien robot. I wish they give me wrong advice like this.''

''I prefer alien robots to a girl in a ero-bunny suit any day. I honestly still don't understand how you managed to get approval for that costume.''

''Tohma-kun, I swear to god, if anyone call me ero-bunny once more!--- Just so you know, all thanks to my efforts, the couple-race became the biggest event in Asahiyama's history. Can you name another school event that managed to grab the attention of national news channels? I bet you can't, bitch. So shut the fuck up.''

The chemistry between these two never match, they are no different from water and fire. I raised my eyebrow. ''Weren't you penalized for that costume, Anita?'' 

''It wasn't right for me to wear a costume like that in an environment open to children, they say. Meh, the school's popularity has doubled thanks to my super ass. Haters gonna hate.''

''Suitability and morality aside, Anita-chan is telling the truth. We've become really popular, even last year's couple race didn't attract this much attention. A great finale to our final year.''

''That's what I say! Y'all better show some love and be thankful.''

As Tohma and Anita continued their banter, I retrieved my book from under the desk and flipped through the pages absentmindedly. The day's schedule and responsibilities are mapped out in my mind from the start, and the distractions around me barely made a dent. 

''Hosoki-chan, you're really not planning to attend the blind-dates?'' Anita leaned in, her eyes sparkling with a mix of curiosity. Her eyes somewhat resemble Yin. 

''I have prior commitments.'' I replied calmly.

Anita sighed dramatically. ''Well, well, priorities, I guess. I hope your private sessions are worth missing out on the legendary high-school parties. You're going to be the only one not there, you know?''

''Madoka-chan's dedication to her studies is commendable. It sets a standard for all of us.''

Anita rolled her eyes. ''You sound like her manager or something. Are you getting paid for praising her Tohma-kun?''

''It's called recognizing hard work and discipline, something you might want to consider.'' Tohma yawns with a small smirk.

''Enough, you two.'' I interjected. Regardless of their constant arguments, they still find themselves twisted in talks regularly. For the reason, I am involved in conversation between those because of the classroom seating arrangement, it naturally affects me too. ''...''

In terms of desk order, Anita Aono sits in the desk in front of me, and class representative Tohma currently sits one desk behind me.

''Hosoki-chan, you're really not human, are you?'' Anita said, half-jokingly. ''Hehe~!''

''I assure you, I am as human as anyone else in this room.''

The final exam is fast approaching. My life in middle school was not as straightforward as it is in high school. People were too hesitant to approach me in middle school as they knew which family and background I was tied to.

Who could blame them? 

Now my classmates sees me as nothing more than an average teenage girl.

The sole reason I didn't disclose my family situation or background to anyone in high school, other from those three and the academy administration.

Tohma glanced at me after finishing organizing his bag. ''Madoka-chan, I know you're not interested in these topics, but can I ask an unrelated question? Feel free not to answer, of course."

''...? Go on.'' 

''Have you been to the seaside amusement park with someone a few days ago? Apparently a few people on the cheerleading team saw you, so I wanted to ask. Like I said, your privacy comes first. You don't have to answer.''

''...So what?''

"Hold up, hold up! Hosoki-chan!? With someone? At that fancy amusement park? Damn, you're out here dating a boy and didn't even bother telling me, huh? Shame on you, tch."

''So it's true. I'm sorry, my curiosity got the better of me. You know, I've known you for what now? Two years? Madoka-chan, and I don't even see you at school's social events.''

Not true. I do attend social events, just not within my educational life. Only a few days ago, I was at the wedding of the daughter of the Minister of Economy.

"My priorities differ, I repeat." I sigh. ''If there are witnesses there is no need for me to deny it, I was at the amusement park with a familiar of mine. The girl had a few problems and needed support. It's not an important matter.''

''And was it...a girl?! Oh my—''

Tohma raised his right hand to silence Anita. ''— Sounds like an interesting story, Madoka-chan. There is still some time until the exam starts. Wanna share the details? You seem bored too. And besides, you have never told us about your memories before.''

''...'' I paused for a moment. Opening up about personal matters is not something I do very often. But, given Tohma's genuine interest and the fact that I had spare time before the exam.

And I know Anita won't stop questioning me once she heard it, so it's best to give them both a logical explanation.

Thus, I began telling about that day happened inside and outside Crystal Hills. But, I'm purposefully keeping Butterfly's family problems exist during that time out of my words. These two don't need to know that part.

Is there even anything out of the ordinary to tell? While we wait for time to pass, I share my memories about the shopping district and Butterfly's street concert. Tohma's reaction consists of just closing his eyes and nodding his head as I excepted. Anita, on the other hand, is still sulking for reasons.

''Aight, this is a date no matter how you look at it – and a top-tier date at that. Pancakes? Concerts and beauty salon? Goddamn, someone genuinely wanted to have a good time with you Hosoki-chan. Back me up blue-hair.''

"Seems like an ordinary girls' day out. Anita might be going a bit overboard. There are plenty of girls who enjoy doing these activities together. Unless they're kissing like normal lovers... Haha. No offense Madoka-chan, I'm just messing around. "

"Yeah, yeah, totally get it~ Mhm!... '' Anita yawned, lifting her arms up. "Can you even call it a legit date if there's no smooching? My expectations were too high. But, you know, Hosoki-chan really ain't that vibe. She's like the one and only ice queen of our class and the whole dang school, for real."

''Oh, we kissed— Multiple times to be precise. What's the big deal?''

''Motherf——!?''

Their response reactions are excessively dramatic or rather exaggerated. I always check the words I've said at least twice in my mind before I say them, and none of them are effective enough to create the effect that requires them to react like this.

''I— Oh shit... Hosoki-chan, I didn't know.'' Anita's cheerful voice tone dissipates, replaced by a more serious demeanor. ''Sorry.''

''Why do you apologize?''

''...We teased you that much, but you never told us that you were in a relationship. I feel awful now.

"I am not in a relationship. Where you even get this information?" A moment of silence followed. ''...''

''You know, kissing means a lot th---!? Tohma-kun, are you okay?! Fuck! Tohma-kun gone blackout!''

''...''

''Crap, I forgot! Tohma, snap out of it! Tohma-kun, pull yourself together, onegai!''

Our class representative stood there motionless and away from any movement. I simply rolled my eyes. ''What's wrong with him?''

Anita sprang up from her seat and briskly approached the representative without hesitation. She reached out and firmly grabbed the collar of his jacket, as if trying to snap him out of whatever trance had taken hold of him. ''A-ah, I know it's a bad time to tell you this, Hosoki-chan, but Tohma-kun has had a crush on you since the second year. You just dropped a huge F-bomb on his face.''

.

.

.

— [ 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐦. 𝐀𝐬𝐚𝐡𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐦𝐚 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡, 𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐫 ] —

Third Person POV:

Today, a deep sense of relief has washed over every student at Asahiyama High. Some emotions are positive and some are negative. The finals, which felt like a five-day torture, have finally come to an end. The anxieties that had been building up throughout the week now give way to the anticipation of the upcoming new year.

A lot happened this week for Nakano Nino. Just when everything seemed to be returning to normal, her tutors unexpectedly quit from their jobs, and she had to move house along with her sisters. (The certain home-owner is still not very happy about this!)

"Finally..." Nino muttered as the final bell chimed its melodic end. She gathered her belongings and handed her completed(?) exam paper to the attendant before stepping out of the classroom. The weight of the pressure she had felt throughout the exam lifted, and she released a deep, satisfying breath. "Free atlast. Tch, that brat Uesugi better be grateful. I almost died memorizing these formulas."

The first night in their new home was quite troublesome, so she still a bit dizzy. There were issues with the sleeping arrangements; the lack of beds, and deciding who'd stay in which room.

The worst part was that the person who was supposed to be their home-owner, instead of helping them, gave them the middle finger, locked himself in his room at all five girls, and didn't show up for the rest of the night. That made the planning heck of a harder for sure.

Nino stare out of the window just outside her classroom and watched the students leaving the school. "Oh, as if opening my heart is such a piece of cake Asuka. Even when she come near, I hold myself to do not lose my mind... How fucking convenient!"

She can still hear the words from days ago, as well as some of the words she had said herself echoes inside her mind.

I want her to love me...

I want her to feel something!

I want her to notice me!

I want to be selfish...

''I wonder what she will say when she see my new hair~~~''

Nino really wants to go and see Madoka, but in all the time they spent together, she forgot to ask one of the most necessary questions—Madoka's classroom. It would be awkward to go to the third floor, last year students' floor, without knowing which class she is in. Visiting each class one by one would raise a lot of suspicion.

But they were in the same school after all, so it was inevitable that their paths would cross once again eventually—perhaps in the serene garden, maybe during a casual encounter in the cafeteria, or even in the busy hallways. Romantic thoughts, all of them are valuable for her.

''Get the hell out of the way, second-year losers! We got a real deal emergency here!"

''...? H-huh! What the heck?''

While Nino was immersed in her daydreams, a woman whose voice she had never heard before screamed down the stairs where the third floor and the second floor combined. The sound was so impactful that all the second graders gathered around the stairs suddenly withdrew from the vicinity of the stairs.

Nino wasn't close to the stairs from the start, but she moved a little closer to see what was causing all the commotion.

From what she could see, a white-haired girl was holding a blue-haired boy who seemed to be unconscious or in some kind trance. The girl with white hair was dragging the boy like a sack of potatoes. ''Alright, bitchass. If you're not going to wake up, I'm gonna handle it myself. There must be a cold water fountain in the garden. A little splash of that ice-cold water should snap you back to reality."

''What on earth...'' Nino mumbled to herself. ''Is he okay?''

Another male student who's watching the events right next to Nino responded. ''No idea. Rabbit-senpai looks the same as always, it shouldn't be anything serious.''

''Rabbit? Hey, you. Do you know those?''

''Know who? Ah, that's Anita-senpai from 3-C. I thought there would be no one who hadn't heard of her after the cultural festival.'' The speaking student then turned his focus from the girl to the boy being dragged on the ground. ''And that's Tohma-senpai from also 3-C. Basketball team co-captain.''

Anita was still trying to drag psycho-damaged Tohma down the stairs, but due to the difference in size and weight between their bodies, it looks like an ant trying to push a wall. It looks like they will both fall down if they lose their balance.

"How about giving a hand instead of just standing there, damn it!" 
Anita barely stepped to the second floor with the dead-weight she carries. She looked back and shouted towards the stairs leading up, to someone else watching them up.

Then a third footstep heard following those two up the stairs. That unseen third voice on the stairs slowly turned into a person.

''———!'' At that moment, Nakano Nino's eyes literally felt like they were about to burst. Yet what she's feeling physically right now is nothing compared to what she's feeling emotionally.

''𝗜 𝘁𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗽. 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗲𝗶𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳.''

All the scenarios Nino had constructed in her mind went up in smoke the moment she saw the lady. The only word she could muster to comprehend what she's seeing was extraterrestrial. Her face flushed so red it looks as if she's about to burst into flames.

''There is no medical help for something like this, Hosoki-chan! We need to go the garden 'cause I can't drag him into the ladies' room out of nowhere! Rrrgaaah!— God, what the hell do these basketball players eat?''

Nino hesitated whether to speak up or not. Although it's relaxing to admire her from afar, Madoka and the others seem to be in the middle of something pretty important. Despite the comfort of simply admiring Madoka from a distance, Nino felt a playful urge bubbling within her.

Unable to contain herself any longer, a giggle escaped from Nino's lips. ''Pfft— Ahahaha!'' The blue-haired boy looks exactly like the night when Uesugi drugged out. Nino couldn't help but laugh when she thought about that time.

But that laugh came out too loud.

''Shit, too loud!'' Nino closed her lips with her palms in an instant. ''Now she'll hear—''

''Butterfly?''

''A-ah!...Madoka?!'' ( <--- Idiot)

A few moments later, Madoka gracefully descended the stairs, her steps echoing on the second-floor. The daughter of the Hosoki family had always possessed an attractivity, but the rebel outfit she wore now ignited a spark of thoughts in Nino's mind that she isn't prepared for—Probably kinky stuffs. 

Madoka stood in front of Nino. Due to the height difference between them, Nino had to tilt her head slightly upward. Otherwise, her head only reaches Madoka's breast level. ''Your hair...''

''A-ah, that thing? I cut it! G-Gotta follow fashion, right? Don't you think? Does it look good? It looks good. Please tell me it does look good.'' She completely panicked. ''H-h-h-haha!''

"It does. So short hair is currently in vogue?—Huh, just as he told. I do lack of expertise in matters of fashion.''

''How about you? You look like one of those high school magazine models!''

''My brother chose them.'' Her voice tone contains a certain icy yet also warm. ''Does it look good?''

''It does...''

Nino resists the urge to peck Madoka on the lips right now but it's time to be serious. If she uses her only to fulfill her desires, this cycle of ignorance will never come to an end. Of course she's going to kiss her, there's no avoiding the truth. But not here. Not in the middle of the school, in public and in front of everyone else she know.

"Nevermind me, but what's with you and those two?" Nino pointed at the two still struggling on the stairs. ''Is he okay?''

''I checked his pulse and breathing. He's not experiencing any physical issues."

''...Yeah, that really doesn't make it less concerning. Wait, you also gave me first aid too, do you have medical knowledge?''

''Basis.'' Madoka let it out a sigh. ''I know what to do in case of heart attack, minor injuries and shock.''

''...'' Nina couldn't find anything to say. She had planned to think about what to say to Madoka the next time she saw her after school, but fate had other plans. And how does one confess their love? Should she say it directly, right here and right now? Or does it need to be planned? Even if she does say it, will it have an impact, or will it be just words?

But fortunately the embarrassing double encounter become short-lived as the white-haired rabbit goes on the attack and approach them.

''Fuck it, I'm tired. That's all from me, I need to rest— Hmm? Is that someone you know, Hosoki-chan?''

''What did you do with Tohma?'' Madoka asked. 

Anita pointed the stairs where goes between the second floor and the first. ''I threw him into the gap between the first floor and the second floor. He's already soul drained, all thanks to you, so it won't be a problem if he sits stay there for a while. My precious arms needs rest as well.''

''I'm Nakano Nino.'' Nino tilted her slightly. "You gotta be Anita-senpai, right?"

"Word, my rep getting around? Yup, that's me. Hold up, Nakano... Ah, got it! You're one of Yotsuba-chan's sisters, ain't ya?"

''Senpai, do you know Yotsuba?''

''No doubt, I know. Yotsuba-chan became the race champion in the cultural festival and I delivered her award, after all. I read her interview in the school newspaper, so it's pretty obvious that you're her sister. Moreover, your faces are almost identical. No need for detective skills for that.''

Madoka rested her back against the windowsill and crossed her arms. ''Anita happens to be my classmate.''

''For three years, mind you. You, the girl with the butterfly clip, how do you know Hosoki-chan? I know almost everyone she talks to from Asahiyama, and you're not among them.'' 

''...''

''...''

The question hung in the air, rendering them both momentarily speechless. Madoka felt indifferent to the idea of explaining; it wouldn't change anything for her in the end. On the flip side, Nino was just plain embarrassed, making the prospect of talking about it a bit too much to handle.

''Wait, Hosoki-chan. You...'' After the conversation between Anita and Madoka this morning, anyone could have pieced together the clues. Anita was on the verge of screaming but managed to restrain herself when she saw the expression on Nino's flushed face. ''Holy shit! You are THE girl! I get it now!''

''I am what now? Senpai, I don't know what you are talking ab—''

''You're the girl who took Hosoki-chan on a date!''

Nino's eyes widened, and her face turned even redder, if that was possible. Madoka looked at Nino with a frozen expression, then shifted her gaze to Anita, who seemed to be enjoying the revelation. ''...''

''Date?'' Nino stammered, trying to gather her thoughts. ''I-I mean, it wasn't really a date. W-we just wandered around a little bit before study that's all, that's all!''

''Oh, come on. You don't need to be shy about it.'' Anita teased, nudging Nino playfully. ''Hosoki-chan here is a tough nut to crack, so if you managed to take her out, you must be something special.''

Madoka pushed herself off the window sill. ''Anita, don't exaggerate. If she says it's not a date, it's not a date.''

''Sure, sure.'' Anita chuckled, then rolled her eyes in mischief. ''But damn, if I had known you were into girls, I might have taken my chances instead of going those blind dates. Although I'd probably end up like the class representative."

"Excuse you?" Nino retorted with a frown. "..."

''You saw the kid I just tossed down the stairs, right? In a way, it's because of Hosoki-chan. The poor kid gone shock because he thought she was dating you.''

''H-huh! Dating me? M-me and Madoka?... 
Where did you get silly idea?''

''She said you two kissed.'' came the direct and fatal answer. ''Don't worry, I won't tell a soul.''

''---ADSFHJFDSADFHASD?!'' The moment she heard the word 'kiss', every shame cell in Nino's brain went ooga booga. The flood of cringe she's currently experiencing now so intense that she even consider throwing herself out of the window as the most logical solution. ''We, uh... I...''

But the lady in everyone's attention saved the moment. Madoka understood very vivid that Nino was being pressured. This maiden is the highest level of reading people inside-out, after all. ''Don't take this long, Anita. Butterf— Nino tells the truth. As I said to Tohma during the class, I am not engaged in a romantic relationship."

Indeed, there is no falsehood in Madoka Hosoki's statement. The only romantic entanglement in Madoka's life traces back to 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗱 𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁 she endured before starting into high school. Yet, that marital bond didn't last long, thanks to the intervention of Lady Jeanne, the reigning head of the esteemed Hosoki Company, along with the assistance of Kurosawa Kazuma.

''Say that to Tohma-kun, heh.'' Anita shrugged. ''I could, maybe, have felt jealous, but I guess it's just the right time. Our graduation year's here, and we'll soon be heading off to university. Anyways, gotta hit the bathroom now, clean up 'cause my hands are sweaty as fuck. Then, gonna toss that blue douchebag into the fountain. Ain't getting no help from Hosoki-chan, I get it.''

''Can't you just take him to the infirmary?'' Madoka said the most reasonable solution. ''...''

''Nah, even the stairs are too much for me. Carrying him all the way to the practice building? Not happening. The fountain is the quick fix after the idea of ditching him here. But, yeah, it makes us a crappy friends, so no go for the second one."

After finishing her speech, Anita nodded a goodbye to Madoka and the newly acquainted girl Nino, then dashed towards the girls' restroom located at the very end of the second floor.

A small idea struck her as she headed towards. Midway to the ladies' restroom, she couldn't contain her urge and shouted towards the window-side where Nino and Madoka stands;

''Nino-chan! Loved you by the way! If you ever decide to have a threesome, give me a call, okay?!''

.

.

.

''You've got some... unique classmates, Madoka. Not gonna lie, she kinda reminds me of Yin.'' Nino released a deep sigh as Anita now vanished from their sight. The pressure on her shoulders lifted, courtesy of Madoka's timely intervention. Nino didn't really know what to say at that moment.

''Perhaps that is the reason why I was able to put up with her for years, butterfly.'' Madoka took one look around. The crowd near the stairs had naturally dispersed since Anita had gone. Except, of course, for the half-awake boy still between the first floor and the second floor. ''You had something to say to me before Anita came, didn't you? I'm listening.''

''Oh yes. That something. Do you remember the day Miku showed up at the hotel?''

''I do. She wanted to invite you somewhere, didn't she? If my guesses are correct, where your sister is with whom you had an argument.''

''Itsuki and I made up. Your help meant a lot. Thank you, Madoka. It really made me happy that you went so far for me, after everything I've done
."

Madoka put her hands in her jacket pockets. ''I have siblings who don't get along with each other. They don't hate each other, but disagreements happen all the time. That's what siblings are like. You may take wrong paths, but the result is always right as long as you want it to be.''

''Wise words, Lady Hosoki. Sometimes I forget how many siblings you have, of course you're sure to be a wonderful and wise older sister. Ichika could take a little inspiration from you."

"I don't believe Ichika is a bad sister."

''It was an allusion. Ichika is... an above-plus average sister. But, I am going to be hella pissed if she use my personal shampoo once more without asking, but at the end of the day, she's still my big sister.'' Nino came to a dilemma at this moment. The dilemma of whether or not to inform Madoka about what happened to their penthouse. Could she say they moved into Asuka's house? Wouldn't that be way too weird? ''Any plans after school? Do you want to go to the cinema? Itsuki got two extra double-tickets for us to use, but she's gonna roll with her stupid boyfriend instead.''

"I have home-session tonight. I appreciate the offer but I must decline. I have some matters to attend to after school. Perhaps another time."

Nino should normally be all pouty and grumpy, but instead, she finally managed to suppress her feelings. Her lips curved into an another small yet adorable smile. ''Raincheck, then. These tickets don't expire, take your time.''

Nino still felt awkward because of Anita's words, but at the same time, she was quite happy right now. She was chatting with Madoka, with nothing else or matter going on. Just her and the girl she likes.

Even though Madoka sees her as an acquaintance without romantic feelings, even the simple communication between them made Nino happy right now. She'd prefer this moment a million times over the boring lessons of that particular tutor.

Yet, private conversation didn't last long again. The sound of footsteps from the other end of the corridor signaled the approach of a third person. Since the sound came from right behind Nino, she didn't even sense the presence until the person talk. ''Madoka-sama.''

''Hmm—?'' Nino turned around. ''Oh? Shin-Megane?'' (Four-Eyes in Japanese)

''Please refrain from calling me that on school grounds, Nakano-san.''

A common face that they both recognize. Upon hearing her name, Madoka rises from the windowsill and turns to the girl calling out to her. ''Hanako?''

''What's up, Hanako?'' Nino also said, knew the girl opposite him.

Nino was aware that Hanako Homare being Yotsuba's classmate before their personal encounter during the field trip's first day. This knowledge made their first meeting relatively easy back in that day, and now they share a weird yet respectful relationship, friend-of-a-friend style.

''I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation, Nakano-san.'' Hanako has her ever-special atmosphere as always, a true mistress of order. ''Madoka-sama, you are requested in the student council room. Council Secretary Hisako wants to see you.''

''Huh? Could you please specify the topic for my knowladge?'' An offer that not even Madoka expected. ''...''

''Unfortunately, Madoka-sama.'' Hanako bows down her head in respect. ''The only command given to me was to inform you. Almost all members of the student council are still dealing with the disbandment of the Track Club, so we don't have any information about it. But it's said to be urgent.''

''...I see, thank you for the report.''

Hanako slowly left the girls' presence after giving the news of her calling. The sudden decision of the Track Club has truly created quite a stir at school. Currently, the council members who are still inside school and on official duty are working to bring the situation under control.

Nino placed her hands on her waist and shook her head from side to side in sheer boredom as Hanako ascended the stairs to the upper floor. "Tch, that Shin-Megane really had to interrupt my conversation at the most crucial moment. Let me guess, you're heading to the student council room now?"

''I am planning to do so.'' Knowing the question Nino is now about to ask, she acted before her. ''Are you coming?''

''Hell yeah, I am! Sounds more exciting than cinema.'' She's only happy deep inside because they're going to spend more time together now; no other reason. "Let's meet there in 10 minutes; I just remembered there's something I need to take care of."

''...'' Madoka nodded and began to made her way towards the famous student council room, her footsteps echoed in the hallway. By leaving Nino alone where she stood.

Nino had already something she truly wanted to do in mind. She peeked once again at the girls' restroom at the end of the corridor. Anita hadn't come out yet, which meant she still had time to do what she wanted to do.

She quickly walked towards the stairs, the stairs leading down to the first floor.

When Nino looked down from the stairs, she saw the boy who had come with Anita sitting on the steps. The boy was still unconscious, or rather, it wouldn't be accurate to say unconscious. He's definitely awake, but it looks like as if his soul had been ripped away by bitter words.

Nino descended down the stairs and approached the sitting boy. ''...''

''
𝗕𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗼𝗳𝗳, 𝗽𝗮𝗹. 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝘆 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝘀𝗲'𝘀 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘆.''

- - -

— [ 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐥 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦. ] —

The student council at Asahiyama High School holds a sacred position, functioning as the paramount authority in all matters concerning student affairs. It stands as the primary source for resolving student-related issues and serves as the central hub influencing the school in various capacities.

Compared to other high schools in Tokyo, the Asahiyama student council wields a remarkable degree of authority. They possess the unique power to change, add and even remove school rules if enough votes can be gathered.

For Nakano Nino, entering the student council room is an entirely new experience. She had never crossed its threshold before. A weird-tingly sensation began to manifest within her as she get closer.

The wooden door, adorned with a polished brass plaque, bore the emblem of the Asahiyama High School. Nino took a deep breath, steadying herself before gently pushing the door open.

*Creak...*

''...Woah!''

Inside, the room adorned modern decor with a distinct Japanese influence. Soft sunlight filtered through delicate white fabric curtains, casting a warm glow on the tatami mat flooring. The central focus of the room was a sizable round table, surrounded by sleek and elegant office chairs, giving it more of an office vibe than a typical council room. Apart from the large round table in the middle, there's an another table in front of the window in the opposite corner of the room. A luxurious table for one person.The student council president's desk.

The filing cabinets lined one wall, neatly organized with labels indicating various documents and records. A coffee table and a coffee machine near the entrance held a few magazines and a vase of fresh sakura flowers.

However, this special room, which is always supposed to be occupied by people, is now empty.

As Nino entered, Madoka had been there for a while already. Nino spotted her on the right side of the large room, likely engaged in a conversation with the person who called her.

|
 Student Council Secretary, Hisako Hideo |

''Thank you for coming this fast, Hosoki-sama.'' The secretary looked at Nino, who had just arrived. ''And you are?...''

Madoka responds straightaway and doesn't even glance at Nino. "Her name is Nino, she's with me. There's no need to conceal anything about my past from her."

''So, what's the deal? Did you find out why they dragged you here outta the blue? This girl is so...pink, geez."

The secretary, with a polite nod, continued organizing the e-files on her computer desktop. "Very well, Hosoki-sama. If she is with you, I won't inquire further. As you can see, there is no one left in the student council room due the recent events. So I'll handle the explanation—"

Secretary Hisako takes out two obscure objects from the drawer of the desk where she sits. When the light hits the room, the objects becomes more visible. 

Letter envelopes.

Two neatly sealed letter envelopes.

''—A man from your family's company came up yesterday and requested for us to give you these letters. I decided to wait until the final exams concluded, which is now.''

Madoka glanced at the letter with floral pattern in the secretary's hand. ''Is there a name on the letter?''

''The name of the sender is not written in either letter. However, this letter has a handwritten signature stating that it is in your name.''

——— 𝑇𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑑𝑎𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑀𝑎𝑑𝑜𝑘𝑎...

Madoka's solid expression didn't changed even a single bit, like she had been expecting this outcome. ''This one is from my mother. It is likely that she desires me to compile a report about my current circumstances and appraising my academic progress.''

''Your mom?'' Nino raised an eyebrow. ''We're in the 21st century, couldn't she send e-mail?''

"My mother exclusively uses e-mails for business-related matters. This request is likely of a personal one."

''Should I understand from your reaction that there is nothing to worry about, Hosoki-sama?''

''Yes. This is not a matter concerns the school or its administration. It won't add any new problems to the student council's already existing problems, if that's what you're concerned about.''

The secretary took a deep breath, a mixture of exhaustion and relief evident in it. ''Phew— I'm really flattered that you think so, Hosoki-sama, but we have another problem. The real reason we called you here is because of the second letter. We think it belongs to you as they were given by the same person, but the name in this letter is completely different. The intended recipient's name doesn't match any entry in the school database.''

''...What?''

''The intended recipient is different, and the handwriting doesn't match the previous letter.'' The secretary hands Madoka the other letter. This letter has no pattern, unlike one that has a floral design.

——— 𝑻𝒐 𝒎𝒚 𝑪𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒐𝒑𝒆...

''...!'' Madoka immediately stood up from the seat she was sitting on and began to read the front of the letter she holds in her tight palm over, over, over, over, over over over over over and over again. The fingers of her clutching the letter with an almost desperate tightness.

''...Father?''

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125 1 18
Fuutarou has made his choice. So what happens now? Let's delve deep into the fallout of Fuutarou's choice and the end of the manga. This story wil...
24.9K 772 15
Y/N L/N, is a teenager who lives alone and who has an addiction for alcohol... What will happen when he has to tutor five dumb girls with his best fr...
6.1K 221 9
A fan-fiction about you and the best girl, NINO NAKANO!!
17.8K 485 33
After Fuutaro collapsed on his school trip, an admirer couldn't bear to look at him exhausted like that. He decided to help his „Idol" out, how will...