Wrecked - An After-Divorce Ro...

By Sugarcandy6

It wasn't romantic or easy. It was just something that happened." "God! Was it worth ruining everything?" "... More

X
pre - reading
Summary
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
PSA
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty Two
Extra Chapter
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Prologue of Till Destiny Bind us Together
💖 Thank you note 💖
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Twenty One

866 118 31
By Sugarcandy6

         A/N: I'm changing Drishti's fiance's name. It's Samrat now.

When Drishti reached the house she called home, she found that it was plunged into darkness. She expected it. She paved her way towards the study. The door was open, the lights from the window cast a dim glow enough for her to see silhouettes and shapes. She slipped off her heels and walked to the balcony.

        He didn't turn towards her as she slid the door open. He was lost deep in thoughts as he stared at the view with a blank expression.

     She settled in his lap and slid her arms around his neck, placing her head on his chest. Drishti waited a moment until he shifted and his arm gripped her waist and the other her thigh.

      "I thought you'd never come back." His words brushed against her hair.

      She circled the tip of her finger on his chest, "With the way you behaved today, I shouldn't have."

     They said nothing for a couple of moments until she sighed, "Don't even think because I came back, I'm not mad at you. You did it purposely."

      "Oh?" She could feel his smile on her head.

       She raise her head away from his chest and looked at him in his eyes, "Admit it. You behaved so abominably with my brother because you wanted me to leave."

        He said nothing except sliding his hand to hers and picking it up, brushing his lips on her wrist,

    "I would never want you to leave, mere dil."

     "Don't lie, Samrat."

     "But ofcourse, I wanted to give you a chance to leave if you wanted to."

     "How could I leave; when I love you?"

        "Why you love me, is beyond my understanding. Your brother's allegations aren't untrue. I'm a murderer."

       She rolled her eyes, "Oh and I'm the queen of England. Can you stop being dramatic?"

            He only laughed and this time it was genuine. Drishti was glad that she had pulled him out of his somber mood.

    ***

        Khushi watched the computer screen clicking through her presentation slides. Ravya paced in front of her table frantically.

    "Ravya, sweetie... you'll give me a migrane if you continue like that. Can you relax?"

       "Oh God." She slipped on the chair like some Victorian miss. "I cannot. I swear I cannot see that Harshita win this bid. I just cannot."

       Khushi tugged her bottom lip between her teeth. "She won't. I don't even know why she's competing door this bid? Like doesn't her dad have enough money?"

     "Because she hates you." Ravya said rising from her chair and stopping behind hers looking at the screen.

     ***

          When they reached the conference room, Khushi revised what she would say in her mind.

      "Oh it's Dukhi and her Rat."

   Khushi closed her eyes to control her temper. But Ravya couldn't so she blurted out, "Just because you have SHIT in your name doesn't mean you have to talk shit all the time, HarSHITa!"

     Khushi only beamed at Harshita who was fuming. That certainly curved her anxiety. She walked inside the conference room and all of it came crashing down as her eyes zeroed on him.

   She could never get used to him in a suit. Not that he didn't look in those, but she missed his brightness and openness that he gave out when he wore his button downs and t-shirts.

       She smiled and started with her presentation. It went well and in the end she felt happy that she could answer the questions of the panel happily. That was until he opened his mouth,

      "You have significant gap in your research by a year. May I know the reason why?"

      "Oh..I was going through a medical treatment at that time." She muttered.

      She could feel the atmosphere in the room turn. "I hope you're well now. Nothing serious I hope?"

      That bastard. She thought. But deep inside her anger she felt the pang of betrayal. How could he do this to her? It called out. She squashed it.

           "I overcame it anyway and I think it's a testimony to my determination." The other panelists nodded their heads, they were impressed. All except one.

         "What happens when you relapse?"

      "What?" She asked shocked.  "I am perfectly healthy now."

       "Don't you think it'd be too risky? Would you place your bets on a wild guess?"

     ***

             Khushi came out of the room and looked at Ravya's sweet face. "Well? Did you rock it?"

        "I didn't. It sucked."

     Khushi knew what to expect but after a couple of days when the results were posted, Harshita gloated around the unit, distributing chocolates, imported ones to be infact.

       To reject her project wasn't that bad but to see Harshita win the grant was utter misery. She felt angry, the kind of anger she hadn't felt in years.

           She took the stairs to the terrace. Kushi then sighed and tried to calm her breathing. As soon as her heart pace returned to normal, awareness rushed in.

   He was here. 10 feet away with a lit cigarette in his hand and the other hand tucked in his pant pocket.

         Khushi had to reluctantly admit that he did look handsome. So very handsome. And once upon a time he had been hers.

         "You're staring."

         "Do you have a problem with that?!" She snapped at him and he looked at her with an irritated expression.

       "Are you mad at me?"

      "Oh geez! Guess I shouldn't be, after you ruined my research project."

          He put out his cigarette and stamped on it. "We aren't that close enough for me to care about that."

       He tried to move past her but Khushi caught his upper arm stopping him. "Given what's happened in the past, I thought atleast we could be civil with each other, if not friends."

         "Oh you want to talk about civility? Civility would've been you not supporting my sister who is about to marry a murderer!"

        "Is that why you sabotaged my funding?"

        "No. Yes. I don't know."

      "Okay but who do you think informed Sakshi and urged her to mail you?"

             ***

      Now Dhruv felt guilt gnaw him inside out. That's why Sakshi has mailed him because she had told her to.

         "You're still doing nothing to dissuade my sister."

           He watched her roll her eyes. "She's my age when I married you. Dishu is a grown woman. And she told me he had his reasons which I believe to be true."

     He swiped a hand through his hair on frustration.

        "Our broken marriage is exactly why I don't want her to rush into this." He flicked his hand towards both of them.

        Again an eye roll from her, "Age had nothing to do with it."

      "Yes. It was you and your penchant for lies that broke the camel's back." He snapped at her and saw her eyes flash hurt.

     "Excuse me?!"

     "Am I wrong?"

     "I had my reasons..."

     "And those reasons were pure BS..."

         He was stunned himself by how viciously it had slipped out, she seemed the same too. She looked at him hurt and dejected. Like she expected it.

        "They might seem BS to you but it felt overwhelming to me. You don't even know what illness I had or how I came over it..."

        "It was cancer. I know."

      Now it was her turn to look shocked. "You knew?"

         "Yes."

         "Since when?"

         "About 2 years back."

         "You left because of that?"

      Dhruv didn't answer for a moment as he tightened his, fist controlling the emotions that struggled to burst through. He nodded without looking at her.

       "Ah...you must've felt guilty." She said in realisation.

    He laughed. "I didn't feel guilty. I felt angry."

         "What?"

      "I was angry at myself for wasting years and years on people who only pitied me, oh you must've thought that you were noble for hiding it from me, but all the while you pitied me thinking I deserved a better wife, hmm..'

***

     Khushi watched in horror as he trampled on her deepest secrets. But he kept speaking.

      "Hmmm... You must've thought I didn't know what was good for myself and while I ran behind you, begging you to stay,you must've that I was being childish. And that your lie was kinder than honestly."

He spoke with a think smile on his face. 

      "So spare me the watered down excuses. You might've not died, but the Dhruv you knew has died."

     She stumbled back without saying anything. He smiled a smile which didn't reach his eyes.

          "And I sabotaged your funding because I could. Consider it petty revenge for your cruelty in past."

    He walked away after that. And for a long time, Khushi stood in the same place blinking back tears.

    ***

A/N: vote and comment. Not edited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

470K 23.1K 63
For her, he is the light of her life. She never thought of leaving him. But unknowingly they got into a fight. He went out leaving her alone in the h...
142K 8K 33
Its a sequel to "JUST YOUR WIFE" But can be read as standalone. "Is it necessary,!?" I asked him.. He smiled down at me.. "I want to give you the wo...
293K 11.3K 26
"You still love her? What do you mean by that? you love her when you are the cause of her sorrow? you love her? don't forget the fact that you were...
401K 27.4K 33
NOOR SHEIKH "He always loved her and he still love her, I was never his priority" MUHAMMAD DAIYAN MALIK "You are nothing but a replacement of my firs...