Under the Skin

By _PeculiarMind_

Since he was a young pup, Jonah has been used by hunters to kill his own kind. All he's ever known is pain an... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 20

367 5 0
By _PeculiarMind_

When Alec and Jonah showed up the next day wearing bite marks on their neck, their friends were quick to congratulate them.

Alec's mom decided to make a special dinner to celebrate the occasion, so that evening the pair went to their cabin, where Moira, Zoe, Thomas, Melissa as well as other people they knew were already waiting for them. 

The meal was joyous one, as everyone laughed and shared stories with one another. Even while Alec talked to other people, he kept his hand on Jonah's thigh to keep a form of contact with him, and the couple often shared meaningful glances throughout the dinner. 

Later that night, as they walked back towards their home, Jonah felt like he couldn't wish for anything more to be happy. 

It had been a week now since their mating, and several members of the pack had congratulated Jonah once they heard the news. It still amazed the omega how kind people were to him now. It was a far cry from when he had first been introduced to the pack. 

With the arrival of Spring, everyone was busy plowing the fields in preparation for the upcoming seeds. The mood was upbeat after the last few months of heavy snow, relishing the warmer temperature. 

Jonah was walking back from the field after the day ended. He was exhausted and ready to go back home. 

In the distance, he saw his mate who was waiting for him like usual. This time, however, he seemed to be in a serious conversation with the other men. When Alec noticed Jonah coming towards them, he said a couple of words to the men before walking towards him. 

The beta greeted him with a kiss and took a hold of his hand as they started their way back home. The omega grew concerned when his mate remained tense by his side, looking deep in thought.

"Is something the matter?" Alec seemed slightly startled as he turned to look at him.

"The patrol just came back from their round, and they picked up an unusual scent just before the border of the territory." He paused. 

"Is it a rogue again?" Jonah questioned. A feeling of dread came over him as he was reminded of the incident which happened only a month ago.

"We don't know. I told them to increase the surveillance in that area, so if there's an intruder I'm sure they will be able to catch it." The omega hummed and pressed himself against his mate's side.

As they went about their nightly routine, Jonah gradually forgot about what Alec had told him. 

Deep into the forest, a man was crouching behind a bush. He wore camouflage clothes to make him blend in with his surroundings, and he had been careful to rub his clothes against the trees and brushed to mask his scent. He rose his binoculars to his eyes to see in the distance. It took him a few seconds to adjust his sight and find what he was looking for. Far away from him where the tree line ended, several children were playing outside while a woman watched over them.

He and his companions had been bidding their time for weeks now, watching and learning when the patrols did their rounds and how they patrolled the territory. However, today was finally the day they would put their plan to action. 

Ever since their wolf had been captured by this pack, their hunts hadn't been as successful. Without the wolf's ability to catch the scent of another wolf, it was harder to find prey. With their funds decreasing steadily, they were desperate to find a solution.

It wasn't until two months ago that they started to think about getting the wolf back. They knew if he had been killed, the pack would've executed him on the spot. They wouldn't have brought him back with them. Which meant he was probably still alive.

Knowing it was too dangerous for the three of them to walked straight into the camp, they decided their best option was to lure him out. Which brings them where they were now. 

The hunter thought for a second, wondering how he could lure one of the kids to come deeper into the woods without alerting their guardian. 

A rustling from a few metres in front of him broke him out of his thoughts. One of the children had kicked the ball too far. The man smirked and carefully made his way closer to the black and white object. 

Predictably, a boy came walking through the thick bushes as he looked for the missing ball. He finally found what he was looking for, hidden underneath some branches. He stepped forward to retrieve it, only for it to be snatched away from him. 

The boy looked up to see a tall man grinning at him, holding the ball in one of his hands. 

"Does this belong to you?" The boy only nodded. He didn't know why, but he felt uneasy. 

"Here you go." The man held it forward. The boy went to grab it, but instead he found himself being scooped up. The ball fell to the ground while the boy cried out for help, wiggling in the man's hold. 

"That's it, boy. Scream as loud as you want." The hunter said as he maintained a steady hold on the child. 

Jonah was helping another person mending the fence along one of the fences when he heard the commotion coming further away from them. The two of them walked back to the beginning of the field which bordered the dirt road. Everyone was talking in small groups looking worried. They approached some of them to know what's going on. 

"One of the pups is being held hostage by a man. They think he might be a hunter." Jonah's blood ran cold when he heard this. If it was true, the chances were they were the hunters he was familiar with. The omega asked where the pup was being held, and a woman told him it was behind the nursery.

Without wasting a second, Jonah began to run in the direction of the nursery. When he went around the cabin and looked into the woods, he saw several wolves and men circling someone. They seemed to be negotiating with him. The omega went to hide behind one of the larger trees and listened to what they were saying. 

"-I don't care! I want you to bring me the wolf you captured months ago! I don't know why you even bother to hide him, he's only good for one thing and it's hunting other wolves!"

Jonah felt his throat tighten as he heard that voice. There was no doubt this was one of the hunters who held him captive. 

"The wolf you're talking about is a member of my pack now, and he's under my protection. He will not be going back with you." The pack alpha spoke. Alec seemed to be standing right beside him, and he could tell the beta was refraining from attacking the man. 

"I suggest you give the pup back now, because if you don't the consequences will be much more severe." The hunter scoffed.

"I don't think you're in a position to make demands. I'm the one who has leverage here, and I'm telling you, this wouldn't be the first time I kill a measly pup." The child in his arms whimpered in  fright at the words.

Jonah's hands were clasped tightly against his lap. He felt deadly afraid of facing one of his old captors, but he couldn't let a pup be harmed because of his cowardice.

He took a few deep breaths to gather himself. It was time to face his demons. 

He stood up and willed himself to take a few steps forward. Everyone was alerted of his presence by the twigs snapping and the rustling of leaves. Alec's eyes widen when he saw him. 

"Jonah! What are you doing here?! Go back!" The omega ignored his words as he looked straight into the hunter's eyes for the first time. His hands were shaking by his side so he clenched them into fists to hide the tremors. Every instinct inside of him screamed at him to run away, but he stood his ground.

"I'm here. What do you want?" 

Very very sorry for the late update. I'm a bit caught up with university stuff since the semester is ending. If you're also in the same situation, I hope your exams go well, and that this update can bring a little light in your day :)

There is only one or two chapter left to write, so this story is close to its end. I'll do my best to work on it so you can get another update soon!

Much love xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 44 12
Oliver has had a difficult life, struggling with anxiety and being haunted by his past. Despite going through more than what most people can imagine...
986K 48.3K 19
Max and Allen are both Omega twins, Omega's are treated poorly and only used for sexual pleasure. Their parents abandon them, their pack disowned the...
361K 18.4K 33
(Version to be removed from Wattpad; currently being rewritten). Subjected to a life of pain and misery from the moment of his birth; Kian is losing...
1.3K 56 14
Date: 9/12/24 To whom ends up finding this, My Alpha isn't the kindest or most sympathetic wolf... I'm kept in the dark, quite literally. I'm...