Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 53

294 16 12
By arlenerae

Ares Simon's POV:

I sank into the chair, my head cradled in my hands, fingers entwined in my hair. My clouded eyes glanced at the unconscious form of Elysia lying on the hospital bed, the chaos in my mind manifesting as a persistent ache in my temples.

The past few hours blurred together in a disorienting sequence. Everything was going according to the plan until Sebastian messed up.

A sigh escaped me, and I closed my eyes, releasing a string of muttered curses. If he wasn't so adept at his role of safeguarding Elysia, he would have been out of the country by now for his failure.

I yanked at my hair in frustration, my gaze returning to Elysia. She was not supposed to be there. She was never meant to be a part of this mess.

Eric Peterson, the previous owner of the company I had acquired years ago, ended up in prison for attempted murder and illegal trading. He attempted to harm Maron and me upon discovering our involvement in his case. Now, he's out on bail, likely due to some connections he pulled. I typically avoid interfering in legal matters, but this time I was genuinely disturbed by his presence around the company. He posed a threat to my family in the past, and it's evident he still harbors ill intentions.

Maron and I were aware that Eric or his associates might seek revenge and were just waiting for an opportunity. We had two choices: wait for an unpredictable move or lure him into attacking first, gathering solid evidence against him, and I, of course, chose the latter.

If the situation was unavoidable, I couldn't have simply stand by and let my family's safety be jeopardized. They were seeking an opportunity, and we inadvertently provided that opening. I was confident that Eric wasn't smart enough to realize it could be a trap or that the area was under my ownership.

And I was right; he foolishly entered my territory, completely oblivious to any suspicion. Assuming I was alone, he surrounded me by the roadside.

One thing I could never have imagined was that Elysia would spot me there, and, more surprisingly, that she would foolishly follow me too.

Rising from the chair, I silently approached her bed and cautiously took a seat beside her. My heart constricted gazing at her pale form, my mind plunged into utter chaos once again, the earlier incident flashing before my eyes...

"Oh, it's your lucky day, Simon. You're not dying alone," Eric jeered, his tone mocking as he looked past me.

My eyebrows furrowed, and I followed his gaze. No one was supposed to be there until I signaled. When I saw Elysia standing there, my body froze.

My men surrounded the entire area...

Sebastian was positioned in front of her too...

There's no way I would allow them to harm even a strand of her hair in my presence...

It should have been an easy win, but the mere sight of her there momentarily clouded my rational thoughts with a sense of dread.

What if things go wrong?

What if she gets hurt?

The weight of those possibilities pressed heavily on me, overshadowing the tactical advantage we had.

A slight movement in my peripheral vision jolted me back to awareness, and I swiftly dodged the knife, signaling Sebastian. I clenched my jaw as the knife slid past my arm, leaving a slash.

It was all we needed—evidence of their attack and an injury. I seized Eric's hand, twisting it backward. A faint bone crack echoed before his loud groans filled the surroundings.

Glancing back at Elysia, I saw her standing frozen in the same spot, her eyes fixed on my arm. An unsettling feeling gripped me; she didn't appear okay. Worry surged within me, urging me to go to her instantly. However, as I turned towards her, one of Eric's men charged at me, diverting my attention.

I glanced at Sebastian, deeply engrossed in combat, and signaled for Maron to make his move. In an instant, our men emerged from their concealed positions, catching the opposition off guard.

Dodging an attack, I landed a punch on the man who lunged at me, followed by a kick to his stomach. As I readied for another strike, my hand froze mid-air, a sudden cold chill running down my spine.

The abrupt noise gripped everyone in shock, freezing even Eric and his men in their tracks. My lips parted in disbelief as I turned toward the source of the unexpected voice.

No, it wasn't a voice...

It was a scream...

I'm a man. In thirty years of my life, I've witnessed and endured countless experiences, especially since I left the country in the past, but nothing could have prepared me for this.

My surroundings seemed to blur, and time stood still as my gaze fixated on the source of those piercing screams.

Elysia...

What was happening to her?

She knelt on the ground, her hands tightly gripping her hair, head bowed, and bone-chilling screams echoing from her. Each scream felt like a sharp, agonizing stab to my heart, but in that moment, I realized one thing then and there; those distressed screams would haunt me for a lifetime.

It was a horrifying, heart-wrenching scream, as if she had lost something or someone incredibly dear, resembling someone who had lost everything.

"NOVA!!!" Her third scream snapped me out of my daze, making me realize what she was desperately shouting.

A sudden, forceful punch landed on my jaw, sending me sprawling to the ground. Before the assailant could strike again, one of our men restrained him.

My eyes returned to Elysia, who was growing increasingly hysterical, desperately yanking at her hair. Shocked and helpless, my mind went momentarily blank as I watched her in anguish.

In the next instant, I rushed towards her, stumbling in my steps, my head in a jumbled state.

"Elysia," I crouched down in front of her in panic, desperately holding her hands. She refused to release her grip on her hair and pulled away from me.

"Elysia! Please don't do this, you're hurting yourself." I tightened my hold on her wrists, but she seemed deaf to my pleas. Tears streamed down her face, and her desperate, agonized screams tore at my heart. "Sweetheart, please look at me. Everything is okay; let go of your hair, you hear me?" I tried to speak calmly, but my voice shook; intense distress enveloping me.

My heart squeezed in my chest, seeing her clenching broken strands of hair in her fists from pulling too hard. My eyes widened when she suddenly let go of her hair and began scratching her face.

"Sh*t! NO! ELYSIA!" I exclaimed in horror, instantly restraining her fingers, clutching them in my hands. My sole attention was on her, the chaos behind us completely forgotten.

She started scratching my palms, fighting to break free from my hold. I didn't want to use force, but I couldn't bear to see her like this, and I certainly couldn't allow her to hurt herself.

I forcefully pulled her hands away from her, securing both of her wrists behind her back with one hand while restraining her movements by clutching her thighs between mine. She started struggling desperately within my grip.

Cupping her face with my other hand, I forced her to look me in the eyes. "Elysia, it's me, Ares. Please, focus on me."

Her wide, bloodshot eyes met mine, and my heart sank. They weren't her usual warm eyes; they were dark, almost murderous, and there was an unsettling quality to her gaze that I couldn't comprehend, but it was far from anything good.

I recalled a moment in her office when she fainted, but her eyes weren't like this then. She was scared, terrified, but not like this.

"It's me, sweetheart. Please, look at me!" I stated in a low voice, attempting to pull her back from wherever she was at the moment.

"I'm right here with you; please come back to me!" I stroked her cheeks with my thumb, clenching my jaw when I noticed scratch marks on her face.

"Please!" I whispered, resting my forehead against hers. After a little while, her eyebrows furrowed and she ceased struggling, her screams transforming into heartbreaking sobs, chest heaving rapidly.

I enveloped her in my arms, swiftly pulling her against my chest, releasing her hands, and whispering softly. Her trembling hands moved to my chest, pushing lightly before she looked up at me. Her large amber eyes met mine, and a glimmer of familiarity finally etched her features.

I was about to sigh in relief when her next words made my heart sink.

"I... want to sleep," she muttered, her eyes dropping. Panic and fear surged within me, my heart racing in anxiousness.

My eyes widened when I noticed something. Touching her nose in panic, I found blood on my fingers. The crimson stain heightened my worry.

"No, No! Elysia, stay awake for me, please." I tapped her cheeks in panic, desperately trying to keep her conscious, but her eyes drooped. I caught her head as it slumped on one side.

"Elysia?" I called out, finding her unresponsive. My mind went completely blank, irrational panic gripping me, each second feeling like an eternity.

"Take her to the hospital, Ares!" I heard Maron's urgent voice from behind me, breaking through my panicked state. I turned to face him, finding him standing right behind me, his worried gaze fixed on Elysia and me.

"I'll handle things here; you take her. I've called the police; they'll be here in a few minutes." He stated with a grave tone, directing my focus to the gravity of the situation.

My eyes surveyed the scene behind him. Eric and his men were securely tied up, their weapons and ammo restrained by our team. With a nod, I acknowledged Maron's instructions, gently lifting Elysia in my arms and rushing towards my car. The distant wail of sirens echoed the turmoil within me as I carefully placed her in the backseat, fear and concern etched across my face.

••••••

My hand gently rose to her face, softly stroking her jaw. The doctors assured me she was physically fine; there was no apparent reason for her nosebleed. However, when I explained her situation before fainting, they speculated it could have been caused by extreme emotional distress. They assured me she was alright otherwise, but my uneasiness was intensifying with each passing second, her screams echoing in my head repeatedly.

"How could you be so foolish?" I whispered, my gaze lingering on the marks on her face. Sebastian had filled me in on everything—how Elysia rushed after me in worry and panic.

She knew it could be dangerous; she even recognized her state, admitting that she couldn't bear to witness violence, yet she still followed me.

How could she worry about others when she was in this vulnerable state herself?

It hadn't even been four months since she came back into my life, and yet I had witnessed her fainting twice, which was certainly not normal.

This had never happened before when we were in school. She was not like this. What has happened to cause her to change so drastically?

I know there are people who can't handle violence, but that wasn't it for Elysia. No one reacts this strongly unless they are traumatized.

My eyebrows furrowed, recalling the changes in her since we reconnected. The more time I spent near her, the more certain I became that something was deeply affecting her.

Nova...

Who or what was Nova?

A ringing phone abruptly broke my thoughts, jolting me back to reality. Retrieving my phone from my pocket, I noticed Ronald's caller ID flashing on the screen.

Eying Elysia, I answered the call with urgency, "Cancel everything for now." Until I ensured her well-being and she woke up, everything else could wait.

"Sir, it's important—" Ronald began.

"Not now, Ronald!" I cut in firmly, intending to end the call, but his next words made me stop.

"No, sir, actually, it's about Miss Lawson," he stated urgently.

Concerned, I straightened up, my heart quickening. "What about her?" I inquired, my brow furrowing.

"I received the background report you requested, and..." Ronald hesitated.

"And?" I pressed further, eyes narrowing slightly.

"I think you need to see this yourself, sir," he responded gravely.

My gaze involuntarily shifted back to Elysia, still unconscious.

"Bring it to me," I ordered before ending the call.

Staring at her, countless thoughts swirled in my mind. If Ronald hadn't conveyed the matter over the phone, it had to be grave.

Tenderly, I clasped Elysia's hand, my fingers softly tracing hers. "Forgive me for sneaking my way into your life like this. I hope that one day... When you get to know about this; and get to know about all the things I have done behind your back, I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me," I confessed, closing my eyes and inhaling her soothing fragrance. Leaning my forehead against her shoulder, I whispered, "I'll do whatever it takes to earn your forgiveness then."

Releasing her hand involuntarily, I felt a void without the warmth, a heaviness settling in my chest. Seated on the corridor bench outside Elysia's room, I watched Ronald approach.

"What couldn't you report over the call?" I inquired as he stood in front of me.

"This." Ronald handed me an envelope, his expression grave. "We were right. Someone deliberately wiped Miss Lawson's digital records. This is the only tangible evidence he could find."

Accepting the folder, I nodded in acknowledgment and opened the envelope, extracting a file. My brow furrowed in disbelief as I read the heading: "Case Reference: Hemlockshire PD - Incident #2003-XXXXXX - Elysia."

What...?

My shocked gaze shifted to Ronald as he nodded grimly in affirmation. I swiftly opened the file, delving into the first document.

Police Report

Case Number: 2003-XXXXXX

Date and Time: 5th July 2003, 22:45

Location: Birchwood Manor Hemlockshire, UK.

Reporting Officer: Detective George Harper, Badge Number: 20456

Incident Summary:

On the night of 5th July 2003, at approximately 22:45 P.M., responding to a distress call, officers were dispatched to Birchwood Manor, a secluded residence situated in the countryside near Hemlockshire, UK. The caller reported hearing screams from the vicinity.

Upon arrival at Birchwood Manor, officers encountered a disturbing scene. A young girl, later identified as Elysia, age nine, was discovered beside the lifeless body of a Shetland Pony, approximately six years old, brutally murdered within the confines of a ranch adjacent to the residence.

As officers entered the location, Elysia was observed sitting beside the deceased horse, gripping a knife and vehemently resisting any attempt to approach. Recognizing the need for immediate intervention to secure her safety and allow for a thorough investigation, officers administered a sedative. Elysia was subsequently transported to emergency care.

My breath hitched, eyes descending to the pictures attached with the pages. The first striking detail were those familiar large and innocent amber eyes. Elysia was gripping a knife in her small hands. Despite being nine years old, her frame seemed too tiny, resembling that of a five or six-year-old. Beside her lay a deceased young horse, who looked quite young too, his small frame lying there lifelessly. Elysia's entire form was drenched in blood—her clothes, hands, and face. An officer stood a few meters away, hands raised, seemingly saying something to her. She sat on the ground, knees pulled against her chest, holding the knife protectively beside the horse. In a defensive stance, she appeared unaware that one of her hand gripped the knife's sharp edge.

A suffocated breath escaped my lips, the surroundings pressing in on me. Hastily, I wiped my sweating forehead, noticing my hands were trembling slightly. Loosening my tie, I unbuttoned the top buttons of my shirt and took a deep breath before continue reading.

A short distance away, a partly conscious woman, identified as Dara Parker, suffered multiple stab wounds to her left leg and stomach. Inside the house on the first floor, the lifeless body of Eric Parker was found, identified as Dara's husband. She was swiftly transported to emergency care.

On further examination, Elysia's medical report displayed severe physical abuse, including several broken ribs, belt marks prominently on her back and torso, multiple old burns around her collarbone and shoulders, fractured arms, and numerous cuts across her body. These injuries suggest prolonged and systematic abuse.

My blood ran cold as I encountered the next few pictures. My hand flew to my parted lips in shock. They were Elysia's pictures after the incident, and she looked so small yet those marks...

A sudden wave of nausea washed over me, feeling my surroundings spinning. Ronald's voice echoed from a distance, asking if I was okay, but I couldn't respond, staring at those pictures in disbelief.

How could someone...?

This all...

She... Elysia suffered all this...?

I continued reading the report in a haze, my breathing shallow, unable to shake off the haunting images I had just witnessed.

Regaining consciousness, Elysia demonstrated signs of extreme trauma, rendering her mute and unresponsive. A subsequent diagnosis indicated severe post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), making her incapable of providing a coherent testimony.

During the initial investigation, Dara Parker alleged that Elysia attacked her, inflicting multiple stab wounds. Jim Colson, Dara's brother, was apprehended attempting to flee the scene upon the arrival of police cars. Elysia's report confirmed significant abuse suffered at the hands of Dara Parker and Jim Colson, leading to their arrest as the primary suspects.

The investigation also revealed suspicions of Dara Parker and Jim Colson's involvement in the abuse and murder of a young animal, further adding to the severity of their charges.

Further inquiries into Elysia's case unveiled irregularities in her adoption process. Freda Thompson, the administrator of the "Safe Harbor Foster Center," was arrested for illegal adoption practices, shedding light on potential systemic issues within the foster system.

This comprehensive report is submitted for further investigation and legal proceedings.

Detective George Harper

Badge Number: 20456

Hemlockshire Police Department

5th July 2003

I snapped the file shut abruptly, my hands gripping my hair tightly. The words on the pages echoed in my mind, the ringing sound in my ears growing louder. The true extent of Elysia's earlier screams became painfully clear.

"Are you alright, sir?" My bloodshot eyes shifted to a worried Ronald still standing beside me.

"Give me a minute..." I muttered, gaze shifting back towards the white floor, gathering my thoughts.

*****************

Hey guys! I'm truly sorry for being absent for so many days without a notice. A relative of mine passed away a few days ago and we had to travel to other city to attend the funeral with my family, and I was unable to write at all and check my socials. We returned just yesterday and I got notifications that everyone was waiting for an update, so I quickly completed the chapter today.

I would love to hear your thoughts about today's chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.1K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
40.9K 3.6K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...
10.8K 526 54
Book 2 in a three-part series. It's been five years since Sydney Graves left Westville behind after Brooks crushed her heart and the future they had...