We Met In The Shadows.

Galing kay augustinesguillotine

Butterfly Effect: How a seemingly small change can lead to vastly different outcomes. Daphne's the butterfly;... Higit pa

The Strangest Night I Had
A Storm of Worries.
Good Dragon, Bad Dragon.
A Confrontation in the Shadows.
In The Quiet of Recovery
Is Dumbledore A Fanboy?
Stealthy Encounters
A Slytherin's Serpent
Finally, A Hint
The Heart of Slytherin's Lair
Of Serpents and Roosters
Stars Above The Castle
Runagate
Abrasions Do Heal
Gryffindor's Best Friend
Little Surprises and Disappearances
Butterbeer Bliss
Small Revelations And Lots of Support
Flickering Silver

The Duelling Club Disaster

589 25 6
Galing kay augustinesguillotine

Brewing the Polyjuice was coming along smoothly, thanks to Hermione's critical eye. Unfortunately, the potion was only half-finished. They still needed a couple of ingredients, available only in Snape's private stores. Harry had a feeling those would be difficult to snatch.

Hermione had suggested a distraction in a brisk manner as if there was no possibility of them getting caught and ending in expulsion, especially if Snape was the one in charge of their punishment. Surprisingly, they had succeeded. Although Snape had definitely known it was them, he didn't have any way to prove it.

Still, they had successfully secured the final ingredients for the Polyjuice Potion and they could finally get a move on interrogating Malfoy.

~

A week later, Harry, Ron and Hermione were walking across the Entrance Hall when they noticed the small gaggle of students around the noticeboard, very excitedly discussing the contents of a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up. Seamus and Dean beckoned them over, practically vibrating with anticipation. Harry eyed them warily.

"They're starting a Duelling Club!" said Seamus. "First meeting tonight! I wouldn't mind duelling lessons myself, they might come in handy..."

"What, you think the monster can duel?" snarked Ron, eying the sign with interest nonetheless.

"That's interesting, should we go? It could be useful." Hermione mused aloud. "I wonder who'll teach us? Flitwick used to be a Duelling Champion when he was younger, I read. It might be him."

Shrugging, Harry said, "As long as it's not Lockhart or Snape, I'll be glad."

~

"Well, Harry, I guess you're not glad," Ron says with enough amusement and trepidation as the trio stands in front of an elaborate stage. Both Snape and Lockhart are standing on it, looking comically different: one with a wide grin and the other with a surly glare oh his face.

Harry groaned as he moved towards the stage, giving a once-over to all those present in the classroom. He brightened as he noticed familiar golden hair on the other side of the stage.

Lockhart gathered everyone near him with a wave of his arm. "Come around! Can everyone hear me? Can everyone see me? Brilliant!"

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has very kindly allowed me to start this Duelling Club with the purpose of training you all to defend yourselves should the need ever arise, just as myself - for further details, see my published works."

"And now I introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," said Lockhart, with a great flourish, the glare on Snape's face darkening ominously. "He tells me he knows a bit of duelling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me in my demonstration today. Now, never fear, you'll still have your beloved Potions master when I'm through with him!"

"Wouldn't it be so good if they both ended up killing each other?" Ron whispered to Harry, clearly enthused by the prospect.

Harry watched the expression on Snape's face nervously, as he seemed to get a murderous glint in his eyes.

They faced each other and bowed; at least Lockhart did, with great hand movements while Snape just jerked his head harshly. They raised their wands as if they were swords.

"This is the traditional beginning position. Now, this is a friendly duel, we'll only be aiming to disarm one another and there will be no offensive spells involved. Please watch and learn!"

For a Defense teacher, he doesn't have much spatial awareness, does he? Harry cringed. The look on Snape's face was creeping out even the Slytherins, from the looks of it.

"One - two - three -"

With a shouted " Expelliarmus !", both the Professors struck but Lockhart was the one who was launched across the stage, hitting the wall with a loud thunk .

While the girls exclaimed their concern and worry, most of the boys including Malfoy and his cronies were cheering. Steadily, Lockhart stood up, forming a hilarious image. His hat had been thrown off and his wavy hair was out of its usual careful style.

"Well, there you have it! That was a Disarming Charm - as you can see, I've lost my wand - ah, thank you, Miss Greengrass- yes, an excellent idea to show them this charm, Professor Snape. Don't mind my saying this, but it was rather painfully obvious what you were going to do. Of course, I could've easily blocked it. However, it would have been instructive to let them see..."

Shape was beginning to look vicious. It was possible that Lockhart had finally noticed because he clapped his hands and spoke in a much more hurried tone, "Now, let's split you students up into pairs so you all can practise the Disarming Spell. Professor Snape, if you'd like to help me.."

Harry was getting a bad feeling, again. He was right, his heart began sinking as he watched Snape stalk closer.

"Time to split up the dream team, I'd say," he sneered. "Weasley, you can partner with Finnegan and we'll all hope that he doesn't blow you up. Potter, on the other hand..."

Harry winced, moving one step closer to Hermione.

"No, I don't think so," said Snape, smiling coldly. "Why don't you pair up with Mr. Malfoy?"

Malfoy perked up, smirking as he made his way over.

"Face your partners!" called Lockhart, waving his wand. "And now bow!"

Neither Harry nor Malfoy bothered, matching looks of disdain on their faces.

"One, two, and three!"

Harry swung his wand but Malfoy's spell hit him first; in the side and with a wheeze, he caught back his breath and pointed his wand at him, " Rictumsempra !". Malfoy fell to his knees, laughing uncontrollably.

Lockhart shouted, sounding panicked. "Hey! I said disarm only"- he hadn't, not really - " Finite Incantatem !"

A haze of greenish smoke was spread throughout the room. Neville and Justin were both on the floor, panting harshly; Ron, pale-faced, holding a stiff Seamus, apologising for whatever his broken wand did; and Bulstrode with Hermione in a headlock, both of their wands forgotten on the floor. Lockhart took in the scene, looking distinctly shocked.

"Well, it seems I had better teach you all the Blocking Spell," he laughed nervously. "Shall we have a volunteer pair? How about Mr. Longbottom and Mr. Finch-Fletchley?"

"Bad idea, Professor Lockhart. They're likely to blow each other up sooner than block each other. Let me suggest another pair - Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Potter."

"That sounds like a wonderful idea! Well? Come on up onto the podium, boys!"

As the two took their positions, Harry noticed Snape whispering into Malfo's ear and winced, I'll have to be extra careful.

"Now, Harry," said Lockhart, "when Draco points his wand at you, you do this ." Attempting some complicated motion, he lost his grip, losing his wand. He laughed awkwardly and excused himself. Both Malfoy and Snape watched with obvious condescension. Bloody hell, I'm gonna die.

"Scared?" Malfoy murmured.

"You wish." sneered Harry.

Lockhart smacked Harry's shoulder, "Just do what I did, Harry, and you'll be fine!"

"What, drop my wand?"

He didn't seem to hear. "One - two - three - GO!"

Malfoy raised his wand, yelling, "Serpensortia!" Almost immediately, a long black snake materialised out of the end of his wand, falling heavily onto the floor and raising itself to strike. The students screamed.

"Don't move, Potter," Snape said, a lazy smirk on his features. "I'll deal with it..."

"Allow me!" Lockhart yelled. He pointed his wand at the snake, and with a great bang, it flew back and hit the wall. Obviously agitated, the snake began hissing and turned onto the nearest person, Justin Finch-Fletchley. More screams erupted.

Panicking and knowing he was gonna regret it, Harry yelled at the snake; "Leave him!" Astonished, he watched as the snake actually obeyed him, stilling immediately and turning its head back towards him. Laughing a little deliriously, he looked up and noticed the pale and frightened faces of his fellow students.

Catching some movement out of the corner of his eyes, he looked up and gaped, at the little snake that was wound in Daphne's hair. It was tiny and frankly, quite adorable. He snapped out his daze, when Justin began yelling, all of a sudden.

"Why would you do that?! What sick joke are you playing?"

Frowning, he opened his mouth to refute and question what he was saying when suddenly, hands grabbed him and dragged him out of the room. He almost turned onto them instead, but he trailed off at the unusually serious look on Ron's face.

They dragged him all the way to an empty corridor, before Ron abruptly shook him by the shoulders. "You're a Parselmouth?! Why haven't you told us?"

Harry frowned at the unfamiliar word. "What the hell is a Parselmouth? And why did everyone look so fearful?"

- a/n -

harry, speaking parseltongue: friend!

almost everyone else: omg he must be evil

daphne: adorable

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

749 64 16
Butterfly Effect: the phenomenon whereby a minute localized change in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere. When a butterfly opens her w...
74.8K 1.3K 48
Bella Lenox is living on borrowed time thanks to a deadly curse. Her godfather Severus Snape encourages her to make the most of the time she as left...
66.9K 2.1K 5
The story of how Scorpius and Albus's friendship evolves slowly into something more.
836 31 11
When Alice starts school and meets the famous Harry Potter she finds herself more than just some new friends. Danger and excitement find their way in...