Scarlet Witch : Time Runs Out

By MarvelDc_EU

#1 in "characterstudy" January 2024 #4 in "innerstruggle" January 2024 Sequel to Wandavision, Multiverse of M... More

Scarlet Witch Legends episode
Chapter 1: ROAD TO REDEMPTION
Chapter 2: THE LITTLE THINGS
Chapter 4: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL
Chapter 5: LIKE FATHER LIKE DAUGHTER
Chapter 6: WEDDING BLUES
Chapter 7: A STRANGE ECOUNTER
Chapter 8: SO IT BEGINS
Chapter 9: NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED
Chapter 10: A DAY IN THE RAFT
Chapter 11: DARKER THAN SCARLET
Chapter 12: GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT
Chapter 13: NEXULPROMOCIDE
Chapter 14: THE TURNING POINT
Chapter 15: THE ESCAPE
Chapter 16: IN HIDING
Chapter 17: INJUSTICE

Chapter 3: A BURDEN WORTH CARRYING

186 17 41
By MarvelDc_EU

4:51 PM

A violent police chase occurred in New York with multiple police vechiles chasing two armed terrorist vechiles, belonging to the terrorists known as "the children of Kang". This was another group, connected to the ones at the Theme Park. The chase took a turn on top of a large bridge and the terrorists began throwing highly effective explosives at the police cars. The explosives destabilized the bridge and the cables began snapping.

*enter Spider-Man* (Tom Holland)

Spider-Man came onto the scene and webbed the cables together and jumped on top one of the vechiles.

Spider-Man: Hey guys whatsup! Did you miss me? Because I sure didn't.

"Shoot him you idiot!"

Spider-Man: Seriously? Today of all days? I just came out of the shower, put on my tux and then this happens. (Sighs) Now I gotta buy a whole new can of deodorant for tonight.

The terrorists began shooting at him but he dodged every bullet and landed on top of the other vechile's roof. He webbed the steering wheel out of the vechile next to him and they crashed off the bridge. Spider-Man webbed the car onto the bridge and left them hanging in the air above the water.

He then jumped back onto the other vechile and whipped the terrorists out of the windows one by one, jumped in front of the vechile and stopped it in its tracks.

The police stopped in front of him.

"Thanks Spider-Man. You just made our day a lot easier."

Spider-Man: Oh you know... just doing what I do best. Being your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

The webs that Spider-Man spun began snapping as the bridge continued to become unstable by the second.

Spider-Man: Looks like the job's not done yet. Help me get everyone off the bridge just in case, while I try to stabilize this thing.

The police began evacuating the people as Spider-Man struggled to prevent more cables from snapping by holding it all together with multiple webs. As it happened, the Fantastic Four arrived with their flying Fantasticar since they were close to the incident, due to owning Avengers Tower.

(To understand how they are suddenly in thr MCU along with the X-Men, read "Avengers Incursion War" for context)

Thing: Hey red! Need a hand?

Spider-Man: Hey! Uhh... What's your name again?

He handed Thing a few of his webs that were holding the cables together.

Spider-Man: Grab this for me.

Mr. Fantastic: I'll try and add some support while Johnny heats up the cables to melt them together again. Sue, go help the police.

Invisible Woman (sue Storm): Sure thing.

He stretched his entire body all around the bridge to add temporary support while Johnny (Human Torch) fixed the cables. But the bridge was just too unstable already, and even more cables began snapping. The pressure got too much for Spider-Man and he accidentally let go of his webs, which caused all the weight go over to Mr. Fantastic (Reed) and Thing. Reed's body wasn't strong enough to keep holding it together and lost his grip.

Wanda arrived just in time before the bridge was about to fall. Catching it with her telekinesis. She flew in the air a few feet from where Spider-Man was standing.

Wanda: Hey stranger! Don't worry about the bridge. I'll handle it.

She used a probability hex to strengthen the remaining cables and created new, stronger ones in the place of the ones that had snapped.

Thing: Well, Reed, I think we might as well quit our jobs. Seems like Wenda has everything under control.

Johnny (Human Torch): Wenda?

Thing: Don't ya start with me.

Spider-Man: Wanda! Shouldn't you be getting ready!?

Wanda: Oh don't worry, I still got time. Wait... You know about... the...

Spider-Man: Oh uhhh... Vision told me.

Wanda: Vision told you... Really...

Spider-Man: ... yeah...

She looked at him with suspicion but shrugged it off while slowly descending from the sky, landing next to Peter. They embraced each other with a friendly hug.

Wanda: It's good to see you again, Peter.

Spider-Man: Good to see you too! I missed you.

Wanda: Yeah me too.

Spider-Man: You going brown again?

Wanda: What?

Spider-Man: Your hair.

Wanda: I guess it seemed pointless to dye it again. Now it just reminds me of...

...

Wanda: A very dark time in my life.

She remembered the worst years of her life, as that was the time she had dyed her hair to a reddish color.

Spider-Man: Brown always looked better on you anyway.

She gave him an akward smile and moved a strand of hair out of her face.

Wanda: Thanks. It's my natural color.

The Fantastic Four grouped together and approached Wanda.

Mr. Fantastic: Thanks for the assist, Ms. Maximoff.

Sue Storm: Hey Wanda. (Concerned) How're you holding up?

Wanda: I've had better days, but nothing I can't handle I guess. Why?

Sue Storm: It's nothing. Just checking up on you. Just know if you ever need someone, we are right there inside that big ugly building over there. (*formerly the Avengers Tower*)

Wanda smiled at her with gratitude.

Wanda: I'll keep that in mind.

Spider-Man: Yeah and my apartment is just a few blocks from there. We should hang out more often. You know. Me, and you... You and me.

...

Spider-Man: N-not like that... I mean... let me start over... we never really...

Wanda: Peter.

Spider-Man: How do I say this... we're friends. Good friends and I just feel like w--

Wanda: Peter.

Thing whispered in Sue's ear.

Thing: Who da heck is Peter?

Sue: Shhh.

Peter's behavior made Wanda smile briefly with amusement.

Spider-Man: I want to spend more t--

Wanda: Peter... I know what you mean.

Spider-Man: You do?

Wanda: I wanna catch up too. I was just so busy these last couple of months. Your friendship is very important to me.

Spider-Man: Yeah me too. I thought I screwed it up there for a second.

Wanda: Don't worry about it. Speaking of friends, I haven't seen Stephen in a minute as well--

Spider-Man: Stephen?

Wanda: Strange. Stephen Strange.

Spider-Man: Stephen Strange as in... Doctor Strange?

Wanda: Yes! Why are you acting so weird? I just said I haven't seen him in while.

Spider-Man: Wanda, that's not funny... Don't do that.

Johnny Storm: Mayyybe we should... get outta here.

Mr. Fantastic: Agreed.

Wanda: Don't do what? What's the matter?

Spider-Man: Are you serious right now? That was not cool... Not cool.

Wanda: I-I don't understand... What are you saying? Peter you're scaring me.

Before Wanda could get an answer, Pietro (her brother) ran at super speed all the way from the X-Mansion towards Wanda and Spidey after seeing them on the news.

Pietro (Quicksilver): There you are! We've been looking all over the world for you. Literally. Your soon to be husband is getting real worried. Is everything alright?

Johnny Storm: Sup dude! Long time no see.

Sue Storm rolled her eyes.

Johnny Storm: What.

Wanda's face lit up at the sight of her brother. Still feeling the surrealism that he is alive again. (He is alive again after the events of Avengers: Incursion War, where Wanda merged Universe-838 with ours)

Wanda: Pietro...

She embraced him for a couple of seconds, but subconsciously held on to him for a tad bit too long. A tear escaped her eye.

Pietro: Uhh Wanda...

Wanda: Right, sorry.

Pietro: Are you... crying?

Wanda: Sorry. I'm still getting used to... Do you know how many years I've mourned you?

Pietro: I know. It's okay sis. I get it. I'm just happy you somehow fixed it all. I can't imagine being dead.

He said in a humorous tone.

Wanda: Pietro!

Pietro: What?

She chuckled.

Wanda: You ruined the moment again.

Pietro: Sorry, I guess I'm not the emotional type of guy. It makes me uncomfortable. So... About why I came here... Will you finally come?

Suddenly vision arrived at the scene too, just before Wanda could question Spider-Man about Strange again.

Spider-Man: Vision? You're not supposed to be here. We got this man.

Vision: Apologies but I tried to reach my fiancé the entire day, when I saw she was nearby I needed to see her.

Pietro (Quicksilver): I had it under control man.

She looked at Vision and fell in love with him all over again. Just the sight of him made her eyes glimmer with delight.

Wanda: Vis.

Her eyes conveying the unspoken. A pure unconditional love.

Then something caught Wanda's eyes. A mysterious figure, lurking in the background. As if it spoke to her. Then as quickly as she saw it, it disappeared between the many police vechiles. She gasped slightly and she was startled for a moment.

Vision: Wanda... Is everything alright? I'm getting concerned. You've been gone the whole day and you're acting strange.

Wanda: D-Did you just see that?

Vision looked behind him.

Vision: See what?

Wanda: ... N-Nothing. Don't worry about it.

They held each other's hands with their fingers interlocked.

Wanda: No matter what happens, we have each other. And you don't have to worry about me. I'm fine. Today has just been... weird.

The aura of tension suddenly rose as the police officers approached them. All the attention was on Wanda.

There was a helicopter above, broadcasting live.

"Scarlet Witch... P-Put your hands where we can see them."

Seemingly out of nowhere, they were pointing their guns at her with no reason for arrest. Wanda was shocked to her core, and uncertain of what might come next. With no idea why this was happening.

"Do it now!"

Wanda: Okay! Okay! I'm doing it I'm doing it!

Wanda put up her hands in compliance, but her heart was devastated and confused.

Sue Storm: Hey! She just saved all those people on that bridge! Put down your guns!

"We don't take orders from you."

"Scarlet Witch, would you please walk forward. Slowly."

Wanda: Sorry officer but... I-I'd prefer if you call me Wanda.

"Isn't a worldly name too insignificant for a higher being like you?", one of the cops said in a sarcastic tone.

Wanda: What?

Vision: Let's all just take a breath.

Spider-Man: If you wanna arrest her, then arrest me too! I am not letting you just take her like that!

"She's dangerous!"

Spider-Man: So am I.

Wanda lowered her hands and appealed to them.

Wanda: I don't know w-what's going on. All I've done today is help people. Is that not allowed?

"We said keep your hands in the air or... or we will open fire!"

Pietro: On what grounds!?

...

Pietro: On what grounds!!? For the love of all things! She's getting married today!

Wanda: They have no grounds.

Out of frustration and sadness, Wanda lashed out at the police. Releasing all her bottled up frustrations onto them.

Wanda: What is it with you people! Nothing I do is good enough! No matter how hard I try, no matter what I do, I am always the bad guy... What more can I do? What more is there to do? You tell me! WHAT is it about m--

*BLAM*

Suddenly there was silence. Nobody moved a muscle. Nobody said a peep. Everybody's eyes were on her.

Her eyes widened in shock and disbelief. Everyone was at a loss for words. Completely quiet. Wanda gagged slightly with blood coming out of her mouth. She looked down and saw a bullet hole in her chest. Nobody could believe what just happened. She touched the wound with her hand and it was filled with blood.

Spider-Man: Wanda!

As she began collapsing, sitting on the ground with her knees, Vision ran to her aid.

Vision: Wanda! No no no... No!

He looked at the police in anger.

Vision: What have you done?

Mr. Fantastic: Have you lost your minds!?

This moment of anger and shock was luckily short-lived as Wanda used her powers to remove the bullet and close up her wound. She stood back up again to everyone's surprise, but barely. She was still coughing out some remaining blood, while holding the bullet in her hands and the wound completely closed.

Spider-Man: Wanda?

The cops were scared, seeing her stand up from a fatal shot to the chest.

"P-Put your hands in the air!"

"H-How did you do that?"

She put her hands in the air again. But her body language showed a feeling of disappointment and emotional pain. Her mind finally had enough time to really process what just happened, and she was devastated.

Wanda: Why would you... shoot me... Why?

...

Wanda: What did I do!? Why would you shoot me!

Her disappointment turned to anger and her eyes glowed red.

Wanda: You wanted to kill me... (She looked at Vision) They wanted to kill me!

"We're sorry--"

Wanda: You're sorry... You're sorry!? You SHOT ME!

"Dispatch we need backup! The Scarlet Witch is here and sh--"

Wanda: My NAME is WANDA!

Wanda's red energy involuntarily came out of her hands, but then she realized the complete fear they had of her when the cops instantly left their own vechiles behind and ran away. She didn't even attack them yet and didn't plan on doing so.

She flew after the cops that were still running for their lives.

Wanda: Stop. Please! Why are you running away from me? Please don't run away... I'm...

"Get away from us!"

Wanda: I'm... I'm not going to hurt you! Please come back!

...

Wanda: I'm...

She lowered her head and allowed them to keep running. She then looked at her shaking hands.

Wanda: (Mumbling) I'm only human.

She looked up at the helicopter that was broadcasting the event all over live television.

Even the people inside the helicopter wanted to flee the scene when her head turned toward them as she realized this was probably recorded for all to see.

*Inside the helicopter*

"Oh shit she's looking at us... What do we do? What do we do?"

"Fly away you moron! She's gonna kill us!"

Spider-Man: Wanda.

She began shouting at the helicopter with a few tears in her eyes.

Wanda: You want a monster, right!? YOU WANT A MONSTER!? I'LL GIVE YOU A MONSTER!

Pietro (Quicksilver): Sis, it's not worthit!

Vision grabbed her arms.

Vision: Wanda... Calm down. Look at me... LOOK at me! Calm... down. Don't give them another reason to hate you even more.

Wanda: They can't keep doing this!!!

Out of nowhere, the empty police vechiles exploded, while the WHIH news helicopter lost its balance and started to fall. There was not enough time to react as the chaos overwhelmed them all. Just before the helicopter touched the ground, Pietro (Quicksilver) ran towards it at super speed, almost stopping time itself as he saved the passengers one by one. Then it exploded upon contact with the bridge.

The chaos was followed with a silence. Everybody too shocked to say a word as they tried to process what just happened. Wanda herself seemed confused by what happened too.

Wanda: No... No! Oh no!

Vision: Wanda... What did you do...?

She slowly collected herself again and realized what just happened. She was confused, disappointed and heartbroken.

Wanda: It... wasn't me... It wasn't me!

Mr Fantastic: Then who else could it have been? You were attacking them.

Wanda: I wasn't! I... I couldn't...

Spider-Man: But you just did!

Wanda: Someone must've done this! You have to believe me!

Spider-Man: I really want to, but look around you...

Pietro: Maybe it was an accident? Not on purpose? Maybe we could tell them it was an accident.

Vision: They'd never believe you.

Wanda turned her head and looked at Vision. She was filled with a deep disappointment that could be visibly seen on her face. As to tell him that their wedding had just been canceled.

Wanda: I'm sorry.

Her shoulders were slumped forward with her head looking at the ground as she stood in the middle of the road. Spider-Man approached her and touched her shoulder from behind.

Spider-Man: Wanda.

Wanda: You know... This was supposed to be a very special day.

She turned her head around to look at Peter.

Wanda: Guess that was too much to ask for.

Vision: Wait!

She then took off into the vast open sky, far above the ground. Flying further and further upwards, trying to escape everything and everyone.

Pietro: What do we do now?

Vision: Run to Charles (Professor X). Tell him exactly what I'm about to tell you now.

As Wanda soared higher and higher, the urban sounds below faded slowly, and the cityscape transformed into a patchwork of buildings and streets. She tried to understand what could've caused that explosion. What could've done that? It didn't feel like her powers had anything to do with it, but they'd never believe her. No one ever does.

The sun cast its warm glow upon Wanda as she ascended further up, the entire state shrinking beneath her. With the blue expanse stretching endlessly, Wanda found herself beginning to contemplate her existence here.

As she continued to rise, the curve of the entire planet came into view, showing the vastness beyond her immediate struggles. She broke past the Earth's atmosphere and entered space, going further and further away. The sunlight touched her skin as she hovered in empty space, a solitary figure adrift in the cosmos, caught between the worlds of earthly turmoil and celestial contemplation.

She turned around to look down upon the entire planet that suddenly looked so much smaller. Everything she's ever known, every person she's ever met, every trauma she experienced, every tear she cried, every life she saved... All of it suddenly seemed so small. So pointless. It was all on this blue sphere, drifting in endless space.

Wanda: I don't belong here.

As she looked over Earth, she thought back about what Arishem and the Living Tribunal revealed to her a year ago, which continued to trouble her. Especially today.

After Wanda stopped Doctor Doom last year, she was summoned before the prime Celestial known as Arishem, along with The Living Tribunal, looking as small as an atom compared to their size.

One Year Ago

Arishem: WITH THE POWER YOU HAVE NOW, YOU ARE NO LONGER HUMAN. YOU ARE SOMETHING SO UNFATHOMABLE, NOT EVEN YOU COULD EVER COMPREHEND WHAT YOU'VE BECOME.

Wanda: So I'm what...? Some kind of goddess?

The Living Tribunal: IF YOUR IDEA OF A GODDESS IS AN OLYMPIAN OR ASGARDIAN, NO. YOU'RE MORE THAN THEM. MORE THAN THEY CAN EVER DREAM TO BE.

Wanda: This is... too much... I don't feel that powerful.

Arishem: POWER ISN'T A PROBLEM FOR YOU. IT'S YOUR INEXPERIENCE AND HUMANITY. YOU WALK ON A THIN LINE, TRYING TO BALANCE TWO PARTS OF YOU THAT CANNOT BE BALANCED. YOU COULD, IF YOU WISH, ABANDON EARTH AND JOIN OUR RANKS.

Wanda: But... I don't want to be this. I just want a normal life. With vision. With my boys. You are all gods. That is not a life I want. Is it wrong to want something normal?

Arishem: IF YOU STILL WISH TO PLAY HUMAN, YOU COULD DO THAT TOO. WE JUST WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU HAVE BECOME. YOU AREN'T WANDA MAXIMOFF ANY LONGER. YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE NEXUS BEING. THE SCARLET REDEEMER. THE ENTIRE MULTIVERSE COULD BE YOURS. BUT YOU SETTLE FOR EARTH.

Wanda: But I still feel like Wanda Maximoff. Nothing about who I am changed. And I won't change anything about me just because of my power. I didn't ask for all this power to begin with.

The Living Tribunal: IF THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE YOUR TRUTH IS, THEN WE WON'T STOP YOU. GO AHEAD. PLAY PRETEND ON THAT SPECK OF DUST YOU CALL EARTH. YOU ARE NOT BOUND BY ANYTHING. BUT YOU ARE PASSING ON AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE GREATER. TO LIVE FOR A GREATER PURPOSE. A PURPOSE BEYOND YOUR CURRENT UNDERSTANDING.

Present day

She began wondering if there was truth to what was revealed to her while she drifted in space, looking at the entire world before her eyes. "I could leave this place. They don't need me." She thougt. "I could destroy the entire planet... right now, and nobody would be able to stop me." She thought before flying towards the sun, staring directly at it from a few thousand miles away, tempted by intrusive thoughts. Thinking things she would never really do, a reminder to herself of how dangerous she really is if she were to surrender to it completely. That thought frightened her, which unironically made her understand why the world feared her too.

"I could destroy the entire sun with a flick of a wrist." She though before flying out of the entire galaxy.

"With a bit of effort, I could erase it all right now."

She flew back towards earth and looked at it while standing on the moon. " I could change reality at a whim. Change everyone's lives. Make everyone accept me."

There was another voice in her head, trying to fight the intrusive thoughts.

"No. No, that's not who I am. What's wrong with me? I'd never do that."

But the intrusive thoughts fought back.

"But... They will never accept me. What's the point of going back? They would just continue to resent me, fear me... shoot at me... Maybe they're right. Maybe I was never meant to be human. Why should I be entangled in their lives? I hold the power of gods in the palm of my hand."

She looked away from earth, staring at the vast open space. For the first time, truly contemplating the idea of leaving earth behind for good, with tears in her eyes. She looked back down at the planet, then back to space, then back to earth again. "But this is my home. Where else would I go?" The thought of leaving her family was too powerful to ignore. She could never leave them behind.

Wanda: (Sigh) What am I doing?

Right there, she removed any intrusive thoughts that tempted her, took a deep breath and flew back down with a small sense of hesitation. Life here felt like a burden, but it was ultimately a burden worth carrying. She thought back about what the old lady told her, but deep down she just couldn't shake that very human need to be seen. To be heard. To be understood. It felt like a knife in her heart that kept being pushed deeper and deeper. It was never about power. She realized that her power was merely an excuse to validate leaving this life behind. To leave the pain behind.

As she flew over Manhattan, reliving everything that happened today in her mind, a sudden angst fell upon her, hitting her like a brick wall. Her heart began racing faster and faster. Everything around her became blurry and unfocused. She gasped for air, seeing stars all around her.

Wanda: nononono not now. Not again!

She felt like suffocating as she breathed heavily, seeing flashes of her past, all the trauma she experienced, coming to the surface of her mind. She flew to the Statue of Liberty and fell on top of the crown, breaking her left arm. The pain shocked through her body as she began screaming while trying to catch her breath. A reminder that underneath it all, she's still just human after all. She grabbed her chest in angst and felt like she was drowning.

Wanda: What is... What's going on with me!? (Gasps for air)

This sudden and unexplainable angst lasted for a few agonizing minutes until her heart eventually began pumping at a relavively normal speed again. She took deep breaths and slowly calmed down, crossing her legs and looking over Manhattan. Lost in her thoughts, she drifted away to a safe space, a quiet space. This was supposed to be the greatest day of her life, turned into a nightmare.

Today of all days, filled with so many incidents. Incidents seemingly designed to trigger previous traumatic memories. How could it be a coincidence? An entire week or two's worth of incidents in a few hours time, just before the most important event of her life.

She closed her eyes and tried to cancel out all negativity, only focusing on her family. She thought about her two sons, her father, her brother, she then thought about Peter (Spider-Man), and lastly about Vision. She remembered all the times he pulled her head out of the water, keeping her from drowning. She then recalled his proposal in front of their new home, and she imagined walking down the aisle. She realized despite everything that's happening, she still has her family back. She has everything she ever wanted, yet, everything still managed to get worse. But a smile slowly formed on her face as she opened her eyes, glimmering like emerald gems in the sunset. She was reminded that she would always find solace in them. And maybe that is enough.

I'd appreciate a vote and a comment to let me know what you thought about the chapter.

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.9K 1.5K 33
Wanda Maximoff Fanfiction Artemis Cloud Romanoff have a power similar to the Death Note can do but a lot powerful. She can kill whoever she desire an...
644K 17.7K 87
This story starts with you getting a part in a new marvel movie. You become friends with many of the MCU cast, including Elizabeth Olsen(but will you...
26.5K 803 55
Natasha Romanoff never thought about catching feelings towards the girl she didn't trusted the most. But one night changed everything. this story wi...
361K 14.9K 103
Olivia, a young FBI agent, is forced to work with S.W.O.R.D to help them bring Wanda Maximoff back to the US to face legal prosecution for her previ...