Far away from "home"

By Linnea723

A fifteen year old exchange student from Norway just arrived in Seattle. How will the next ten months be? Wil... More

Day one
Bonding
Relaxing day
Nightmare
Visiting the station
First friend
Early morning
The day before...
school.
Chapter 11
Ideas!!
Sick
Dinner party
Plans change

Talking

631 29 2
By Linnea723

Maria's pov

My first week of school went ok, I talked to a few people in my classes but I've pretty much been with Hailey the entire time. I'm still a little nervous every morning but it's so much better knowing I'll meet her. It's a sunny warm august morning and i just woke up. The apartment is quiet and the only thing you can hear is birds chirping outside. I turn over and look at the clock on my phone, 9 am. I decided to get up and shower. When I was done I did my skincare and put on makeup. I walked out of my room and saw no one. I made myself an ice coffee and got a slice of bread with peanut butter on. While I was eating I watched law and order svu, my favorite show. Around 10.30 Carina walked out of hers and Maya's bedroom.

"Good morning".

"Oh ciao good morning, I didn't know you were awake". She said walking towards me.

"Where's Maya?" I asked.

"Sleeping".

"Still?" I replied.

"Si, she had a bad night." She said while making herself an espresso.

"Is she okay?"

"She will be". I walked back to my room after cleaning the dishes. Hailey had sent me a text asking if I wanted to meet up and maybe go to the beach. I got a little anxious but said yes wanting to spend time with her. We agreed that she would come over first then we would walk together to the beach. I put on a black bikini and changed out of my pjs into a pair of light blue denim shorts and a white t-shirt.

I packed my bag with a towel, sunscreen and a sweater in case it got cold. I walked out into the living room and put my bag down next to the door.

"Where are you going?" Carina asked looking up from her book.

"The beach with Hailey".

"When will you be back?"

"I don't know". We were interrupted by a knock on the door. I quickly opened the door and Hailey gave me a hug.

"Hi girl". She said walking into the apartment.

"Hi, let me just put on my shoes". I said kneeling down to get on my white air forces.

"Maria text me so I know where you are". Carina said walking towards us.

"I will". We started walking towards the beach while gossiping about people at school. When we got to the beach we laid out our towels before going swimming. After chilling at the beach for a few hours we decided to get something to eat.

"Tacos?" Hailey suggested.

"Mmm no".

"Ice cream?" She said smirking.

"For lunch?" I asked.

"Yeah".

"Okay". I said laughing at her. We walked to the ice cream shop right next to the beach.

"Rocky road is the best flavor". Hailey said when we walked out of the shop.

"You guys have too many flavors".

"Hahaha. Do you like it?"

"Yes but strawberry is better". I answered.

"It's too plain".

"It reminds me of childhood summer vacations with my grandparents".

"That's nice, I mean I like strawberry ice cream too I just prefer rocky road more".

"Do you wanna go shopping?" Hailey asked me when we were done with our ice cream.

"Sure!"

"There's a store around the corner". I ended up buying a pair of pants and a cute top. When we were done it was almost 5 pm.

"I should go home". Hailey said walking next to me.

"Yeah me too". We said our goodbyes and walked our separate ways home. After walking for about ten minutes I reached the apartment. I walked up the stairs and opened the door, when I walked in I saw Maya and Carina cuddled up on the couch.

"Ciao bambina, did you have fun today?"

"Yeah we got ice cream and went shopping too". I said walking over to them.

"What did you get?" Maya asked turning to look at me. I put my bag down and showed them what I bought.

"I love that top". The Italian said getting up from the couch.

"We were thinking about ordering some food for dinner is that ok?" She said looking for her phone in the kitchen.

"Yeah sure". I went to my room and threw my bag on the bed. I sat down in front my desk and touched up my makeup.

"Maria I'm gonna go pick up the food". Carina yelled from the hallway.

"Okay!" A few minutes after I heard the door close I walked out to the living room.

"Hey". Maya said laying on the couch with a blanket over her.

"Hi". I said sitting down in the armchair.

"You and Hailey have gotten close".

"Yeah we have". I answered.

"It's good that you've gotten a friend".

"She's really nice". I said smiling thinking about my day.

"Are you okay?" I asked the blonde hesitantly.

"Yeah, just a bad day".

"Oh okay, do you have many bad days? Sorry I don't want to intrude or anything". Maya sat up a little straighter before talking.

"Up and down, to be honest. I had a nervous breakdown last year. I got demoted from captain back to lieutenant and all I wanted was to get my job back. I ran myself to the ground and almost ruined mine and Carina's relationship". She took a deep breath before continuing.

"It got to a point I almost died but luckily Jack found me in time and took me to the hospital. I had worked out so much I got something called rhabdomyolysis and collapsed because my body couldn't take it anymore. I could have killed myself". A tear trickled down her cheek.

"That's why I'm talking to Diane, I'm working really hard in therapy to get better and I am better than I was but I still have a long way to go". She looked down in her lap and wiped away her tears.

"Im sorry you're going through that. Am I-I making it worse?"

"What, god no Maria I love having you here both me and Carina does. I just have bad days sometimes and that's okay, everyone has bad days".

"Uhm why did you work out so much?" I asked not looking at her.

"It was what I was thought growing up, eyes forward at all time the only thing that matters is the finish line. My dad was abusive but I didn't understand that until I met Carina, I thought he just loved me and wanted me to be the best but it wasn't love".

"What do you mean?"

"I used to run track and he would train me everyday no matter the weather conditions. He would push me so hard I collapsed and he would make me run all the way home even if we were miles away. I wasn't allowed certain foods either". My mind started racing with pictures of my dad. When he would come home drunk and yell at us and-

"Maria?" I snapped out of my head and looked at Maya.

"What?"

"Are you okay?" She said frowning.

"Yeah, I'm sorry you went through that".

"Are you sure you're okay?" She said taking my hand in hers.

"Yeah". She was about to speak again when Carina walked through the door.

"Ciao sorry the traffic was a disaster". She said walking towards the kitchen.

"We will talk later". Maya whispered in my ear. She stood up and squeezed my shoulder before she walked over to Carina and gave her a kiss.

"Should we eat?" We all sat down at the dining table and started eating. When I was done eating I washed my dishes and went to my room. I changed into some comfortable clothes before laying down in bed. I glanced out of the window at the sunset while I was watching a movie, it was beautiful. A couple of hours later Maya came into my room, she closed the door and sat down next to me in bed.

"Did your dad hit you?" I asked her.

"No, put he pulled my hair about 4 years ago. I cut it in the bathroom at the station when we got back from the call". She explained.

"It happened on a call?"

"Yeah he followed me there".

"Oh".

"It was then I realized what everyone was saying about him was true". Our heads snapped towards the door when it opened.

"Ah there you two are.. are you okay?" Carina said noticing Maya teary eyed.

"Yeah I'm ok".

"Are you sure?" She said walking over to us.

"Yeah we were just talking I'm okay". Maya leaned in and gave Carina a gentle kiss.

"It's getting late I was thinking of going to bed".

"I'll join you in a bit". The blonde replied.

"Okay good night bambina". Carina said standing up.

"Good night Carina".

"Was that the last time you saw him?" I asked after Carina closed the door.

"No the last time I saw him was on our wedding day. Andy convinced me to stand up for myself".

"That's brave". She smiled at me.

"I was so scared but I knew Andy was there and that I was safe".

"She sounds like a good friend".

"We've had our up's and downs but in the end we will always be there for each other". I smiled back at her.

"Ok, we'll don't stay up too late". Maya said getting out of the bed.

"I won't". I chuckled.

"Good night Maria".

"Good night Maya".

A/n:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! In Norway we celebrate today on the 24th so I wanted to get this chapter out as a little gift for you all.

Love, Linnea

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 30 14
Y/N is going to south Korea as a foreign exchange student. Little does she know that her life is gonna change completely *note: there is some languag...
2K 126 21
Emily is a princess and she will soon be a queen. Her father invited every boy in Norway from 17-19 years old. Will she find the one? This is my firs...
223K 4.3K 33
Maya got her promotion as captain but her team hasn't been to pleased about that. Three months of hell she has been put through. There is a light in...
75K 1.9K 27
Allison's life is turned upside down when her parents kick her out of the house. Will her new found sister be able to help and protect her?