Scarlet Witch : Time Runs Out

By MarvelDc_EU

#1 in "characterstudy" January 2024 #4 in "innerstruggle" January 2024 Sequel to Wandavision, Multiverse of M... More

Scarlet Witch Legends episode
Chapter 1: ROAD TO REDEMPTION
Chapter 2: THE LITTLE THINGS
Chapter 3: A BURDEN WORTH CARRYING
Chapter 4: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL
Chapter 6: WEDDING BLUES
Chapter 7: A STRANGE ECOUNTER
Chapter 8: SO IT BEGINS
Chapter 9: NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED
Chapter 10: A DAY IN THE RAFT
Chapter 11: DARKER THAN SCARLET
Chapter 12: GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT
Chapter 13: NEXULPROMOCIDE
Chapter 14: THE TURNING POINT
Chapter 15: THE ESCAPE
Chapter 16: IN HIDING
Chapter 17: INJUSTICE

Chapter 5: LIKE FATHER LIKE DAUGHTER

143 15 13
By MarvelDc_EU

Some Time Ago

Poland

Fueled by desperation and urgency, Erik (Magneto) hastily gathered the necessary belongings inside their cabin in the woods. The weight of imminent exposure pressing upon him. Magda, his pregnant wife, Wanda's birth mother, stood before him, attempting to grasp the unfolding situation while Nina, their 7 year old daughter, was in her room upstairs.

Magda: You did a good thing! You saved that man!

Erik: That's not the point. If I'm exposed, we're all exposed.

Magda gripped his shoulders in desperation.

Magda: This is our home. This is our daughter's home.

She gently touched her stomach, feeling Wanda and Pietro inside.

Magda: This is their home.

Erik: We are their home... I told you who I was the first time we met. I trusted you then. I am trusting you now... We can't stay here anymore. The twins don't deserve to grow up without their father. If not for me, do it for them.

Magda struggled to absorb the harsh reality. She eventually kissed him.

Magda: I'll get Nina.

In a panicked rush, Magda hurried to Nina's room.

Magda: Sweetheart?

But Nina was gone. A sudden realization struck her, and panic took hold as she ran back to Erik.

Magda: She's not in her room. And I didn't see her out the back.

Erik: No...

They raced outside, desperately calling Nina's name. Their search led them to the woods where they encountered police, armed with wooden bows, holding Nina hostage.

Erik: Nina! Nina, are you alright?

Cop: She's fine.

Magda: Then let her go!

Cop: We will. We just wanted to have a word... Some guys at the factory said they saw something today. Something that didn't add up.

Erik: Where are your guns and badges?

Cop: No metal.

Erik: Put your weapons away.

Cop: You've been a good citizen, "Henryk". A good worker, a good friend of the community. I want to believe that's who you are.

Magda: It is!

Cop: But it was all a disguise. Nobody in this town really knows you.

Erik: Yes, you do!

Erik looked at the other cop standing next to him.

Erik: Jacob, I've had dinner in your home.

Jacob: You lied to us all. I brought a killer into my home.

They presented a newspaper snippet showing Magneto at the White House, warning the world of mutantkind.

Cop: Is this you? Are you the one they call Magneto?

Realizing there was no way out, Erik turned toward Magda, sadness etched into his heart. She nodded. Erik turned back around.

Erik: Take me in. Please... Just let my daughter go.

The police agreed, and Nina was released. She ran towards Erik and he embraced her.

Erik: Nina... Look at me. Go with your mother.

Nina: No! I won't leave you!

Erik: Nina, It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay.

He wiped the tears off her cheeks with his thumbs.

Erik: Do you trust me?

She nodded her head faintly.

Erik: Go to your mother.

She ran towards Magda, while the cops grabbed his arms violently. Nina was in a distraught state, not wanting this to happen. She held out her arm.

Nina: Please! Please don't leave me! I won't let them take you!

The woods stirred as Nina's mutant abilities to control animals emerged, birds becoming unsettled.

Magda: Nina, calm down. Calm down.

Nina: Please! Don't take him away from me!

Crows screamed, surrounding the area.

Magda: Nina!

Jacob: What's happening?

Cop #2: She's one of them?

Cop: Tell her to stop!

Erik: She can't control it! She's scared of you!

Nina: I'm not going to let them take you! I'M NOT GOING TO LET THEM TAKE YOU!

Birds descended, attacking the cops from every angle.

Cop: Make her stop!

Martha crouched in front of Nina to calm her.

Martha: Nina. Nina, look at me! You have to stop.

One cop, distracted by the birds, released his grip, and an arrow flew into the direction of Nina and Magda.

The arrow struck them simultaneously, and they fell lifelessly to the ground, along with Wanda and Pietro, still inside Magda's womb. Erik ran towards them, holding them in his arms.

Erik: No! No no no! Nina... Maggie. No no, please! Please! Please!

The police stood in shock and fear.

Erik: (Whispers with tears) Not my babies... (screams) Not my babies!

The cops, guilt-ridden, looked at Magneto crying while holding his wife, unborn children, and daughter.

Erik: Not my babies! Not my babies!

He took a piece of metal jewelry off Nina's neck and looked at the cops with anger and despair unimaginable. They knew what was about to happen, but they were not fast enough to even react as he sent the metal object flying through the air, shooting through their heads like a speeding bullet, killing everyone there. They all fell to the ground at the same time while Erik mourned the deaths of his family. He looked up at the sky, screaming in pain.

Erik: Is this what you want from me!!!!??

Erik: Is this what I am!?

Continuing to sob, he whispered the same words.

Erik: Is this what I am?

The Present Day

After hearing the story, Wanda felt a sense of deep empathy and sadness with a few tears smudging her makeup slightly. She kept quiet for a while, also being surprised to hear she had a sister.

Wanda: Wow... I-I'm... That's... Horrible.

Erik: Luckily they managed to save you and your brother from your mother's womb, but I was taken away from you. They gave you to a couple in Sokovia, named Olek and Iryna Maximoff, your now deceased parents. That's about all I know.

Wanda: This... Is a lot.

She kept quiet for a long while.

Wanda: Turns out even before I was born, life already had it in for me. And you.

Erik: You don't know the half of it.

He showed her his number on his arm, given to him by the Nazi's when he was captured as a child. Her eyes widened in disbelief.

Wanda: Y-You... you were...

Erik: Unfortunately.

Wanda: How? You look no older than 50.

Erik: I had a change in my mutant gene. Later in my life, I came in contact with a machine that enhanced my mutation. It allowed my aging cells to regenerate at an exponential rate.

Wanda: I can't imagine what you must've been through. Were your parents there too?

Erik: My mother... Your grandmother. But she was taken from me by a Nazi scientist named Sebastian Shaw. Shot in the head in front of my face.

Wanda: I... I'm so sorry. (Sighs) looks like I was not the only one in my family who felt cursed with pain.

Erik: That's the Lehnsherr luck I suppose.

Wanda: Lehnsherr?

Erik: Your real surname. My surname.

Wanda: Wanda Lehnsherr. That sounds... strange. But it seems like the whole Lehnsherr bloodline is just filled with suffering.

Erik: That's why I wanted to burn this world to the ground. More than once.

Wanda: S-so... about my sister--

Erik: Yes. Nina. She was sweet, Innocent, loving... You two would've been best friends. It's why we decided to have another. For Nina.

She lowered her head.

Erik: But she's not the only sister you had.

Wanda: I had... more?

Erik: A few years after your mother died, I met someone new. Had a daughter named Lorna...

Wanda: Let me guess. They both died too?

Erik: Lorna is still alive, but... It's complicated.

Wanda: Why did you never tell me any of this?

Erik: For starters, we've barely known each other a year ago and we haven't exactly seen each other that much in the last couple of months. I didn't feel like there was ever a right time, and I... Felt like you still didn't see me as your father. It was not my place.

Wanda: I deserved to know!

Erik: I'm sorry... I understand if you won't forgive me.

Wanda: Dad... I'm sorry I... I'm not mad at you. Just... It's a lot to take in at once.

He felt a surge of happiness when she called him dad for the first time.

Erik(Magneto): Thank you for understanding.

While they sat and talked, Pietro came into the room. He was instantly stunned when he saw her in the dress. His arrival immediately changed the mood of the room.

Pietro: Wanda we have to g--

...

Pietro: Wow... Wanda.

He looked at her in the dress with great interest.

Wanda: Oh the dress? I know right?

Wanda stood up with a playful excitement. She twirled around a few times in the dress to show it off.

Wanda: What do you think?

Pietro: Wanda...

A subtle tear was visible in his eyes.

Pietro: You're... Magnificent.

She felt very self aware all of a sudden and Pietro gave her a hug filled with love.

Wanda: Wait is that... is that a... a tear? Pietro... I thought you said you're not the emotional type.

Pietro: Okay you got me. I'm just... very happy for you. I've never seen you like this. What happened to my little sister I knew a few years ago?

Wanda: Pietro, you're 12 minutes older than me.

Pietro: But still! I just can't believe you're getting married.

Wanda: I'm struggling to believe it myself.

Erik looked at Pietro, getting a bit impatient to know why he came here in the first place.

Erik: Pietro, what was the reason you came rushing to the room? Or did you forget why you came here?

Pietro: Oh yes! Right. Vision called.

Wanda: Vision called? What did he say?

Pietro: He said he's tired of waiting... Well he didn't exactly say it like that... You know how he is. He'd wait hours and still be polite about it. He just wanted to know when you were coming.

Wanda: Tell him I'm ready... I think. I was just about to leave the room when dad came in.

Pietro: Oh he's dad now?

Wanda: Pietro...

Erik stood up and held out his hand.

Erik: Let's get going. Your chariot awaits outside with increasingly less patience.

Wanda: Wait... I get a chariot?

Erik chuckled.

Erik: If your idea of a chariot is a very expensive Limo with champagne, a TV and personal guards, then yes.

She looked at Pietro with a humbled gratitude. He winked back at her and smiled. They finally went downstairs where Billy waited for them on the couch of the living room.

Billy: Mom you look amazing!

Wanda: Thank you Billy!

Billy hugged her, which warmed her heart, knowing her children are with her again.

Wanda: Is your brother with dad?

Billy: Yes, but you needed me, so dad said I must be here.

She looked at Erik.

Wanda: Where did Charles go? (Professor X)

Erik: Oh he's uh... At the venue.

Wanda: What? Why?

Pietro: You'll see. Just go along with the ride.

6:47 PM

Erik opened the front door of the X mansion where the large Limo already stood outside, awaiting Wanda. Four guards in black tuxedos stood outside the vechile with their arms crossed, each equipped with tazer guns.

Wanda was taken completely aback by it and she felt an almost overwhelming, warm feeling.

Pietro: Don't mind the guards. It comes with the Premium order. Makes it all feel more special.

Wanda: Pietro... You shouldn't have gone to such lengths. It's just gonna be me and Vision.

She said with a lump in her throat.

Pietro: Wanda. This is the biggest day of your life. I told you, just go along with the ride.

Erik: Word of advice, don't question anything.

Wanda: What does that mean?

Erik: You'll see.

The driver's door opened up, revealing Clint Barton (Hawkeye), walking forward to greet her. Wanda was confused and happy at the same time. It's been a while since she saw one of her truest and first friends.

Wanda: Clint!

She wrapped her arms around him in embrace and let go a few seconds later.

Wanda: What... W... I don't understand.

Clint: Hey Wanda. I will be your personal Steward for tonight. If you would kindly let me escort you to your seat. Just be careful not to spill any champagne on that stunning dress, sit back and enjoy the ride.

She looked at Erik.

Erik: Told you. Don't question it. Just go along.

Clint: But in all seriousness, you really do look incredible. It's nice.

Wanda: Nice?

Clint: Seeing you like this. It's nice.

She smiled with a bit of confusion.

Wanda: Like what?

Clint: Happy.

For a moment she couldn't bring herself to say anything. But the bright smile on her face showed it all.

Wanda: I am happy.

Although there was a glimmer of doubt visible in her eyes, she knew at least for now, during this moment, she really was happy. She was about to have everything she ever wanted. Who wouldn't be happy?

Erik: You should get going.

Clint: Right. Are you ready?

Wanda: I hope so. Just a little nervous.

Pietro: Hey, you'll be fine. Now go. We'll meet you there.

She entered the vechile and it drove off to where the wedding was about to take place. As she looked out the window, she realized something.

Wanda: Won't they see me in here?

Clint: Who? The public?

Wanda: I don't want them ruining the wedding.

Clint: I wouldn't worry, Wanda. I heard everything is completely under control. Oh and the windows are made of obscure glass. Nobody can see you from the outside.

Wanda: Vision really though of everything, didn't he?

Clint: It's rare to have someone like Vision by your side. He cares a lot about you and that's something you always needed.

Wanda: I know. But I also feel like I can be too much sometimes, you know? Sometimes I think he gets a bit frustrated with me, but he'd never show it.

Clint: I think I know what you're trying to say, but you don't have to change anything about you. You are who you are and we accept you. I saw you long before anyone else did. I had my doubts at one point but... I'm glad I turned out to be right in the end.

Wanda: Seems like you have a nag for that. (Referencing Black Widow)

Clint: Huh... I guess you're right. That's a nice way of seeing it. Guess I am a sucker for seeing the good in people.

She gazed at Clint for a few seconds, not knowing what to say to him. But he really made her feel like she belonged. For the second time. Since he was the first person to make her feel at home with the Avengers back in 2015, which helped her a lot during that time. To have someone who understood her.

She realized how far back their friendship goes.

Wanda: Clint...?

Clint: Yeah?

Her voice was soft. She wanted to say something. But there was nothing in the world that could describe what she wanted to say.

Wanda: Thank you...

Clint: For what?

Wanda: For your friendship... Just thank you.

Clint looked at her quickly since he was busy focusing on the road, and saw her face that was showing a profound gratitude.

Clint: Hey, it's all good! What are friends for?

He grabbed his handkerchief and handed it to her.

Wanda: What do I do with this?

Clint: It's for your eyes. You're gonna ruin that face if you don't stop that one tear threatening to smudge your makeup.

Wanda: Oh... Thanks.

As the vehcile came closer and closer to the venue, Wanda had to get something else off her chest.

Wanda: Does it ever occur to you that we've known each other longer than I've ever known anyone? Except Pietro.

Clint: Really? That's... I wanna say sad, but it doesn't feel like the right word... What about vision? And your parents?

Wanda: My parents died when I was 10. I've known you for 11 years now.

Clint: And Vision?

Wanda: We met before that... but briefly. You actually electrocuted me with an arrow to my forehead. I felt like my head was in a blender for a week. But hey, it was my fault anyway.

Clint: You just unlocked a memory I forgot I had. Yeah sorry about that. Look, how could I have known we'd become friends?

Wanda: It's okay. That's nothing compared to what I almost did. I remember fighting against bringing Vision to life.

Clint: I remember! There was a fight at the Avengers tower, right?

Wanda: Yes. We were fighting over the cradle that held him. Tony was adamant to bring him to life and I fought against it. If only I knew... Luckily Thor arrived and woke him up with his hammer before anyone could do anything about it.

Clint: It's weird how things happen, isn't it? But I'm glad you and Vision found each other.

Wanda: Yeah. I'm glad too.

Clint: No but... really. I think sometimes he feels like an outsider because of his nature, just like you, and you're offering acceptance and love to him regardless of what he is. Something most people find hard to do since, you know... People think he's just AI.

Wanda: If he was, I wouldn't be able to feel his soul. But I do. A very pure soul. He's just as human as any one of us. Maybe even better.

Clint: I know. But last I checked, most people don't have the ability to "sense souls". My point is, you two really are made for each other.

Wanda: I never really thought of it like that. Vision never talks about his feelings that much.

Clint: Guess we both taught each other something new today. Anyway that's just my two cents. I'm just very observant.

The drive towards the venue continued in silence as the moment sank in for her. The moment was upon her, and there was no turning back now. Vision was all she had on her mind and nothing else mattered now.

I'd appreciate a vote and a comment to let me know what you thought about the chapter.

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 117 6
Thirty-four year old Wanda Maximoff, founder and CEO of one of the most renowned Private Practice's in Manhattan, New York finds herself feeling incr...
4.7K 182 16
Looking forward to this moment for years, Wanda Maximoff had many feelings and anticipations regarding her transition to university: nervous, yet exc...
361K 14.9K 103
Olivia, a young FBI agent, is forced to work with S.W.O.R.D to help them bring Wanda Maximoff back to the US to face legal prosecution for her previ...
34.4K 999 36
𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵? 𝙈𝘼𝙇𝙀 𝙍𝙀𝘼𝘿𝙀𝙍 𝙓 𝙒𝘼𝙉𝘿𝘼 𝙈𝘼𝙓𝙄𝙈𝙊𝙁𝙁 ═════════•°• ᗢ •°•...