Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 51

288 11 5
By arlenerae

Elysia's POV:

I placed the files on his desk, making sure they landed with an intentional thud, as it echoed in the quiet office. Sitting on the chair behind his desk, Ares' gaze snapped towards me, a mere acknowledgment of my presence.

"Here's the data for the last three years of Peterson Steels," I announced, accompanied by my best professional smile.

For the past few days, I have been seriously questioning how I fell for this man?

"With all this banging and noise, should I assume it's getting too much for you to handle, Miss Lawson?" Ares asked, feigning innocence, raising an eyebrow as he locked eyes with me.

I averted my gaze to the table in front of me, biting the insides of my cheek, and mumbled, "No, sir!"

"What? I might need to get my ears checked. I can't hear things," he tilted his head, turning his ear towards me.

"I said, it's not a problem at all, sir!" I responded, this time loud enough, gritting my teeth inwardly.

"Good," he gave a satisfied nod, signaling toward the couch. "Back to your designs," he ordered, redirecting his attention to the file rack.

I didn't miss a hint of amusement in his eyes before he resumed work. Mister seemed like he was enjoying my misery.

Gritting my teeth, I moved towards the couch, glancing at the design I was working on, in which Ares counted a list of problems.

'Your measurements seem a bit off here.'

'There is inconsistent symmetry.'

'The stone setting isn't correct!'

'Your choice of metal clashes with the gemstone.'

I knew I was skilled in designing, but Ares, being the perfectionist he is, scolded me for the simplest mistakes. I bet if there's any awards in the field of criticism, Ares would earn a gold medal. Mr. Williams, the junior manager who initially assisted me, had unfortunately transferred to the branch in Australia, leaving Maron to suggest another collaborator. Surprisingly, it turned out to be none other than my boss, but instead of working together, Ares was now taking on the role of my design mentor, guiding me to design and craft the main jewelry pieces to be showcased in the upcoming exhibition of Knight Jewelers. But I don't really mind that, since I get to learn so much from him.

However, I have been wondering...

Managing a diverse business portfolio like the Knight Group can indeed be challenging. It won't be uncommon to get bald with all the stress and exhaustion.

From the corner of my eye, I carefully scrutinized Ares' hair. Contrastingly, he had quite thick hair to consider the possiblity; possessing a mane of abundant, medium-length locks that gracefully cascaded down to the nape of his neck.

Considering this, I shifted to another possibility. People might develop anger issues due to extreme exhaustion and stress, a fitting explanation in his case. But, it shouldn't make him bipolar?

Then, what on earth could be wrong with him?!

A week ago, when Ares apologized with genuine sincerity, I was overjoyed. He displayed kindness, gentleness, and consideration - the qualities one would expect from a human. But then...

Once he shifted into his "professional" mode, it was hard to reconcile that he was the same man who earnestly sought my forgiveness, as if his world was dependent on my positive response.

He wasn't cold, distant, or aloof; instead, he became exceptionally strict, and oddly enough, all that strictness seemed directed solely at me.

Professional? Hah! I'd prefer to label it as his "Demon" mode.

I've practically set up camp in the office, catching some sleep at the hospital and briefly swinging by our apartment for a change of clothes, and that too, using company car. Ares demanded I use private transportation provided by Knight Group, taking a man named Sebastian with me, who drives me everywhere.

His simple complaint? Office work demands my immediate attention, and the bus is a time-waster, even when I arrive before working hours. But, of course, the "bossy balloon" wasn't in the mood to hear my reasons.

So, here we were again, deeply engrossed in work. I've noticed Ares and Maron both appear seriously stressed about some issue with Peterson Steels, and that's why I obediently give in to Ares' demands in order to not stress him more than he already looks.

As per Maron's information, Peterson Steels, now rebranded as Knight Steels, was engaged in illicit trading behind their business. Ares uncovered this wrongdoing before acquiring the company. My role involves client management and reviewing company contracts, while Ares and Maron handle more significant issues.

Ares, surprisingly considerate, granted me access to the attached room of his office - a bedroom with basic amenities for my convenience.

But there's an oddity. Beyond my regular job responsibilities and designing tasks, Ares doesn't burden me with additional work until it's time to leave. He piles up tasks at the end of office hours, resulting in work after hours. I can't help but feel he's doing it intentionally, almost like he's trying to provoke me or abusing his power.

"I have told you several times before; don't indulge in daydreaming while staring at me. Although, I appreciate this keen attention, but I need to get some work done here." My process of thoughts abrupted when Ares suddenly declared from his spot, eyes remained fixed on the file before him without acknowledging me.

My eyes widened, and I quickly shifted my attention back to my designs. "I-I wasn't looking at you!" I retorted in a slightly elevated voice, hiding my face in the design sheet.

"Ah-huh, of course, you weren't!" he responded casually, his tone preoccupied.

Peeking through the design sheet, I noticed him engrossed in reading the file. See? This had been his demeanor for the past few days; cocky, arrogant, teasing, and the famous Mister "know-it-all."

I wasn't even intentionally staring at him...

Okay, maybe I was, but not because I wanted to. I had nothing else to look at, and I was lost in my thoughts.

He might not be aware, but with each passing day, I was growing increasingly annoyed and angered by his behavior.

"Come here, show me your design now. You've been sitting there for the past twenty minutes," Ares instructed, taking off his glasses.

My heart raced as I thought of an excuse. "I'm still working on it," I stammered. Truth be told, I hadn't accomplished anything.

"Elysia!" My hands turned clammy at his authoritative tone-the voice he only used when teaching me to craft designs.

Biting my lips, I stood up with a racing heart, slowly walking towards him with my sheet.

Stopping in front of his desk, I placed the sheet on it, but I didn't remove my hand from the paper. Ares raised an eyebrow, shifting his gaze to me when he noticed I had no intention of giving him the sheet.

Bracing myself, I opened my mouth. "Why am I here?" I inquired, my gaze fixed on the table surface. "Everybody else has left; I'm the only one working so late. It's unfair. It's... it's an abuse of power." I stammered, my eyes glued to the tabletop.

Instinctively, I stepped back when Ares stood up from his chair, circling his way towards me. Glancing at his approaching footsteps, I barely held my ground.

He stopped right beside me, but I kept my gaze low. "Is that so?" He muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.

I nodded despite my drumming heart and nervousness. "Yes! Working Time Regulations, 1998, regulation 4(i); a worker's working time, including overtime, in any reference period shall not exceed an average of 48 hours for each seven days." I responded with a reference, looking at his shoes.

"Hmm! You aren't completely clueless," Ares replied after a few seconds, sliding his hands into his pockets, causing my head to snap towards him. His piercing gaze was unreadable as he looked down at me. "Neither are you foolishly naive." He added, tilting his head.

My eyebrows furrowed, not understanding his point. "You do understand if someone wrongs you, yet you never really say it. Why?" He narrowed his eyes, giving me a mocking look, "You're neither foolish nor clueless, then... Are you a coward, Elysia?"

How dare he!

My temper abruptly flared at his unfounded and ridiculous judgment. With a clenched jaw, I turned to face him, the earlier frustration and nervousness caused by his behavior over the past few days replaced with seething anger.

"What gives you the right to judge me and label me a coward? Since day one, You!" I said, pointing my index finger at his chest, "You've been a constant source of annoyance. You fired me without a reason on my first day, and despite your cold treatment and excessive workload, I kept silent." Ares' eyebrows rose in surprise, but he remained silent. Stepping towards him, I narrowed my eyes, "You alternated between being nice and cold, back and forth. I didn't label you as bipolar, did I?" I taunted, matching his earlier tone.

Advancing further, I prompted him to step back. "You believe I didn't notice you were deliberately trying to provoke me with the excessive workload?"

I took another step forward, and he retreated further. "I worked over twelve hours a day, countless trips to the storeroom, all beyond office hours because of you. But I never complained because you're my boss, and I respect you. Yet, what's your response? 'Coward'?" I scoffed, intensifying my glare.

Advancing persistently, I closed the distance as he kept retreating, all the while, maintaining unbroken eye contact with me. "You should appreciate having a hardworking employee; instead, you're taking advantage of my silence."

Declaring firmly, I addressed his actions, "My previous silence doesn't give you the right to say or do anything without consequence."

Ares' retreat came to an abrupt halt as his back collided with the wall. "Also," I said, stopping right in front of him, and placing my hand on the wall beside him, giving him a sharp look. His surprised gaze flickered to my hand before shifting to my eyes again. "I'm a woman, capable of distinguishing between an innocent touch and an intentional one. Your recent behavior, Mr. Knight, is undeniably in-ten-tion-al." I gritted out, emphasizing the last word. "Aren't you ashamed? You're engaged. How would your beautiful and rich fiancée react to your attempts to flirt with an employee?" I scoffed, raising an eyebrow and added sarcastically.

Ares' lips parted in disbelief, a mixture of a chuckle and laugh escaping, his expression still registering shock. "What?" I lifted my face. "Do you find me amusing?" I scoffed, my chest still heaving rapidly. One of the many things I learned from Sven and Esme was to talk back, though I usually prefer resolving matters in my own way.

"No," Ares finally spoke, a slight smirk playing on his lips. "I find you hot," he commented bluntly, his deep, resonant voice sending shivers down my spine.

BANG!

I blinked once!

Twice!

Thrice!

As the cloud of anger began to dissipate, my vision cleared, making me aware of my surroundings and registering his words. My lips parted in shock, feeling my heart hammering against my ribcage as I took in our position.

I...cornered Ares, against the wall...!!!

ARES!!!

AND WHAT THINGS DID I JUST SAY...?

DID I JUST CALL HIM BIPOLAR?

OUT LOUD?

His back was still pressed against the wall, my hand resting beside him, and his intense light brown eyes, gazing down at me in amusement. My bravado banshee act from a few minutes ago flew out of the window, replaced by the pounding realization of everything that had just occurred; my outburst, his words, and our close proximity. Feeling my face heating up, I registered the intensity of the moment. As the weight of realization dawned upon me, I abruptly attempted to step back, intending to create distance, only to feel a hand gently tugging at my belt, pulling me forward.

Instinctively, my hands found their place on Ares' chest, feeling the rhythmic beat of his heart beneath my fingers. The loud and rapid thumping contradicted his outward calm demeanor.

"Not so soon, sweetheart," Ares quipped. My panicked eyes unintentionally met his amused ones. "Don't you think we have things to discuss before you attempt to flee?" he remarked, raising an eyebrow. His expressions portrayed a blend of surprise and curiosity, a subtle smirk never leaving his face. I swallowed, my throat parched, feeling like a deer caught in headlights.

"I didn't know you were a ticking bomb these days. You sure know how to bubble things up inside, don't you?" He added, causing my cheeks to flush even more. My eyes lowered, a sense of shame washing over me for the words spoken in anger.

"But first things first," he stated, placing a finger under my chin and gently tilting my head up to meet his gaze. "By any chance, could it be that you were jealous just now, Miss Lawson?" His eyebrows raised, scrutinizing my face with his piercing gaze, as if looking deep into my soul.

I wished he hadn't heard it. My breath caught in my lungs, and in a sudden burst, I exclaimed, "NO! W-w-why would I b-be jealous? It's n-not like w-we are in t-that kind of relationship." I blurted, cursing myself inwardly for responding more than necessary in sheer panic.

Ares pursed his lips, nodding his head with seemingly furrowed eyebrows. "That is certainly true," he commented. Suddenly, his eyes locked onto mine, and in a dominant tone, he added, "Beware, Lawson! You shouldn't start something that you aren't willing to finish." My lips parted in response, staring at him in a daze. Just, what on earth is he trying to convey?

Goosebumps formed on my skin, creating a ticklish sensation everywhere. I'm not accustomed to this side of him; this blunt, bold, and dominating side.

The loud ringing sound diverted my attention. Ares' phone was ringing on the table. When I attempted to pull away from him, I realized his hand was still holding onto my belt, his gaze fixed on mine, unwavering. He wasn't even holding me, yet this was my condition.

"Y-your phone-"

"We're not finished talking," Ares interjected, his tone serious. I froze as he leaned towards me, my eyes widening to take in every movement. His face slowly moved past me, reaching my ear.

His warm breath fanning my already flushed neck. Soon, his low, deep voice resonated against my ear, "Regarding the engagement," he paused, the tip of his nose gently brushing my ear, causing my whole to shiver, as he almost whispered, "You truly have nothing to worry about." My hands subconsciously clutched his shirt, getting overwhelmed with his closeness and his unique natural musk scent mix with faint fragrance of a perfume.

As Ares pulled back, I felt his lips brush my cheek in a feathery manner. As he stood in front of me, my hands automatically lost their grip. Ares raised his hands, gently grasping mine, holding them against his chest and remarked, "and this is the last time I'm letting you slip away like this!" He winked, a small playful smile tugging at his lips before releasing my hands. Walking up to his table to pick up his phone, he left me frozen in place.

"One more thing!" Ares' voice made me turn to look at him holding his phone, staring at me with a calm and serious gaze, contrasting my own. "Never hesitate to stand up for yourself, just like you did today. Look directly into their eyes and show them their place. No one has the right to take advantage of your kindness, even if that person is me!" He tapped his head twice, then gestured towards me before dialing a number on his cellphone and exited the office.

What. Just. Happened?

I stood there, dazed, for who knows how long before I staggered and slumped into the couch. Raising my shaking hands, I cupped my heated face; the cold touch offering a hint of comfort to my flushing cheeks.

Ares had never, ever, done something like this before...

Placing a hand on my abnormally fast-beating heart, I tried to normalize my breathing.

My phone's screen lit up and vibrated on the table. Seeing Ares' name, I hastily picked up the phone, finding a text from him. Quickly tapping the message, I read:

Ares: Elysia, I have an urgent matter to attend to; you're off for the day. Sebastian is waiting outside the building; he will drop you home. Don't forget to take the designs with you, no leniency in your learning!

Another text notification from Esme appeared on my screen. Without hesitation, I opened her message.

Beastie: Ely! Can you come earlier today? Dr. Finn is suggesting scheduling mom's surgery in the next five days.

My heart raced at her message. Swiftly, I gathered my things, my mind buzzing with worry and urgency, and dashed out of the office, typing replies to both Ares and Esme.

*****************

"Are you worried?" Esme inquired, settling beside me on the couch across from Mom's hospital bed.

My gaze shifted to her concerned features as I nodded in affirmation. "I'm just nervous," I responded, heaving a silent sigh. "She'll be okay, right, Beastie?" Uneasiness gnawed at me.

Esme tapped my hand reassuringly. "She'll definitely be alright, Ely. We just have to be strong," she answered, glancing at Mom.

"Are you okay?" I inquired, studying her calm demeanor. Despite her composed appearance, having known her for many years, I sensed she wasn't fine these days. She seemed disturbed and on edge all the time.

She turned her head, meeting my gaze. Without saying a word, her clouded silver-grey eyes conveyed enough for me to understand. "Come here!" I tapped my lap.

Quietly, she placed her head on my lap, closing her eyes. I rested my back against the couch rest, gently patting her hair and closing my eyes too. Mom's surgery was the last thought in my head before sleep embraced me.

Sebastian picked me up from the hospital the next day. Mom seemed worried when I left today. She wanted to talk to me about something before surgery and asked me to come early today, so I contemplated taking leave in three days. Dr. Finn has confirmed the surgery date for Mom this week, and I want to be by her side throughout the process.

On our way to the office, I spotted a familiar figure a few meters away from the Knight Towers area. "Sebastian, can you stop the car for a moment, please?" I instructed.

"Is everything alright, ma'am?" he inquired, stopping the car on the roadside. I pointed towards the person I just saw. "Isn't that Ares? Mr. Knight, I mean!" I corrected.

Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows, following my gaze. I noticed a few men around Ares, and nothing about those men seemed friendly.

A sudden sinking feeling in my heart confused me, a strange gut feeling, as if something was undoubtedly wrong.

"Ma'am, you're mistaken; it's not Mr. Knight-" Sebastian started saying more as he turned the engine on, but I was already out of the car before he could drive away.

"Ma'am! No, please, Sh*t!"

******************

Hey, lovely people! Thoughts about today's chapter?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 21.4K 70
A flirty bartender entraps two men, an average guy and a billionaire. She's sought after by both men, who desire her. Madison Hart is outspoken, dete...
1.6M 38.1K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...
235K 6K 39
UNEDITED |Freya Livingston| has always liked being alone it's not that nobody wanted to be her friend it's more that she didn't want to be bothered...
70.3K 362 40
Sophie's heart gets broken on her 2nd anniversary. Not long later she starts dating again only to be let down. Then a blonde boy makes his way into h...