Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

Av arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... Mer

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 50

266 13 6
Av arlenerae

Ares Simon's POV:

I lay on my bed, head resting on one arm, phone in hand, staring at the blank message screen.

"How should I say it?" I mumbled, chewing on my lip. Typing "sorry for my today's behavior" to Elysia's message, I hesitated before clearing the text.

Too lame...

I need to craft a proper apology. Clearing the text, I began typing, "To Elysia Lawson, as the head of Knight Group, I apologize for my earlier behavior today. I had to leave due to a personal emergency, disrupting our important conversation. I admit my mistake and seek your forgiveness for my abrupt departure and my harsh words years ago. If you could find it in your heart to forgive me, I would like us to discuss this further. Looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Ares Simon Knight."

Reviewing my apology, I sat up, legs crossed, placing the phone on the bed.

Why does it sound weird in reading?

Did I skip anything?

"Why is it so hard to apologize?" I huffed, running my hands through my messy hair. It was easier in school, but my mistake was too severe now.

No matter how many times I read it, it didn't sound right. Maybe I should try something else?

Should I ask Maron?

Nah, he's an idiot!

Heaving a defeated sigh, I tossed the phone aside, lying in bed with a pillow on my face, deciding to talk to her tomorrow in the office.

Bing!

My eyes widened at the sound, causing me to throw the pillow and grab my phone hastily.

Text Message Delivered.

"NO!!!" I exclaimed, appalled, staring at the screen, mouth agape. "No, no, no, f*ck! How did it send?"

Instinctively, various curses reverberated from my mouth, desperately trying to delete or unsend the message somehow, but in vain. "What f*cking company? Totally useless! I'm gonna sue them for sending messages so fast..."

The phone slipped from my hand, falling on the bed. Left with no choice, I sat with my head between my hands, waiting for her reply, damn sure that sleep was impossible until she answered my text.

After a couple of minutes, my phone rang, and I instantly checked it, heaving a silent sigh when it was not her.

I picked up the call after checking the person calling. "Good Evening, Mr. Knight!" A professional voice came through the earpiece.

"Evening, Dr. Finn, how's it going?" I asked, leaning against the headrest.

"It's done! Mrs. Lawson's surgery could be scheduled in the next two weeks. I have informed Miss Lawson about everything," he informed.

"Did she...doubt anything?" I asked, subconsciously biting the insides of my cheek.

"No, she didn't!" he responded. I released a breath I didn't know I was holding when Dr. Finn continued, "But I can't say the same about her sister."

"Sister?" I inquired, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Yes, Miss Esme. She was quiet but didn't seem convinced," he answered.

Ah, Ronald did say something about Elysia living with Esme Vasquez.

"Did you keep my records anonymous?" I queried further.

I don't know much about Esme, but she probably is the one that Elysia always talks to. They used to be close in school as well.

"Yes, I kept the sources anonymous, Mr. Knight!" he responded from the other end.

I nodded, thanking him and inquiring further about Sandra Lawson's surgery before hanging up.

Luckily, Dr. Finn was our acquaintance, and he was the head of management too, which made things a lot easier for me to buy the hospital while remaining anonymous, but that girl?

Esme Indira Vasquez...

I remember her, but why does this name sound familiar?

Immersed in thoughts, I picked up my laptop from the side table, turning it on and searched for the name "Esme Indira Vasquez."

As soon as I clicked the enter, a page loaded along with a single picture of a girl wearing a mask, long shiny black hair, with icy silver-grey eyes, wearing a black shirt, overcoat, and long pants. Several bodyguards were behind her, and the man who looked like a head guard was walking beside her, his eyes sending a warning signal towards the camera.

This...she couldn't be the one I'm thinking, could she?

She looked different in school.

I scrolled down to read her details. There was not a single picture of her except the one I just saw. The information about her was too minimal, almost nonexistent, but it was enough to confirm that she was indeed the one I thought.

What was she doing here? And does Elysia even know about who she is?

If anyone who could potentially be in serious danger right now was Elysia... No one would target Esme because she was the 'danger' herself.

Wait a minute!

If that girl is missing from her country, it means...

My eyes widened in realization. Grabbing my phone, I instantly called Ronald. He picked up in the first call.

"Yes, sir?" His alert voice sounded.

"Ronald, I'm sending you a document, check where they are. Also, see if any of them had landed in the UK recently, whether publicly or privately." I ordered over the phone, sending him the document.

"Noted, sir!" He answered.

I placed the phone down after hanging up, staring at my laptop screen blankly.

Not these people again. I had left this side in the past, and I had no intentions of getting involved with him once again...

Bing!

A notification sound and a blinking screen from my phone pulled me out of my reverie. Assuming it would be Ronald, I unlocked the screen.

To my surprise, it wasn't Ronald but a reply from Elysia. My heart suddenly skipped a beat, and I swiftly clicked on the message.

Elysia: To the glorious owner of Knight Group! As long as you're aware, Mr. Knight. I hope you would not make such a blockbuster exit next time. See you at the office. Sincerely, Elysia Dean Lawson!

An unexpected laughter resonated from deep within my chest as I read her text. I could practically smell the sarcasm from miles away.

Well, at least she wasn't completely ghosting herself. So maybe she isn't that angry, or if she is, her mood is probably better at the moment.

I quickly typed a reply, a smile automatically spreading across my face, "Noted, ma'am!"

Resting my head on a pillow, I continued to stare at her message until sleep eventually consumed me.

******************

Leaving early for the office, I decided to take the same route as Elysia. Passing by her usual bus station, I noticed her entering the bus.

I slowed my Audi, waiting for the bus to move on. Elysia sat on the corner seat, staring outside. My eyebrows raised in surprise when I noticed her up close. Her face was practically beaming, a smile not leaving her features.

She resembled someone who just got the best news of her life. Automatically, a small smile appeared on my face.

"Someone seems like she got the treasure, hm!" I mumbled, chuckling, knowing too well that it was because of her mother.

I followed behind the bus closely, keeping my eyes on her the whole time. When she exited the bus and walked towards the office building, I parked my car on the roadside, away from her.

With hands inside my pockets, I followed after the bouncing girl who was humming to herself while dancing with each step, which seemed more like a bunny walk.

When she entered the building, I entered after her, watching her walk to the elevator when a man waved at her, smiling wide.

Creases formed on my forehead when I noticed it was a junior manager from the design department. I instinctively hid behind a wall, secretly peeking at them, observing and trying to decipher their conversation.

Elysia stopped in her tracks, waving back at him. With a wide, genuine smile, she engaged in conversation while he grinned in response.

Damn Womanizer!

"Look at her," I mumbled under my breath, squinting my eyes. "She doesn't have anything to give me except that annoying 'fake' professional smile, and here she is, doing hehe, haha, with another man."

I kept my eyes glued to them as they entered the elevator.

I scoffed when their chat was still going on even when the doors closed. "Looks like she has a lot of free time on her hands to be able to chat so freely with him. I'm going to change that soon," I muttered, glaring at the closed elevator doors.

As I was about to move towards the private elevator, my eyes shifted to the lobby, freezing in my spot when several pairs of eyes were looking back at me.

Receptionist, guards at the entrance door, employees in the lobby – everyone was gaping at me, eyes opened wide, and lips parted.

Did they...?

I instantly stood straight, clearing my throat and giving them a stern glare. They quickly nodded respectfully before scurrying away.

I gave an acknowledging nod before turning around and closing my eyes briefly in damnation for making a fool of myself in front of my staff.

I entered my office, stealing a glance towards Elysia's still vacant workspace. Backtracking, I made a beeline towards Mrs. Richard and inquired about Elysia.

"Sir, Miss Lawson usually starts working just before you arrive. Mr. Lopez allowed her to use her free time to learn more about designs," she informed respectfully.

She talks to that jerk every day...?

Nodding in understanding, I made my way to Elysia's office. Since she was expected to arrive soon, it was the perfect moment to do what needed to be done.

Upon entering her office, I retrieved a small box from my pocket—an apology gift. Inside was a platinum locket that I intentionally made to look less expensive, fearing she might reject due to price.

The locket resembled a butterfly, which I designed and crafted specifically for her. The butterfly wings mirrored the color of her eyes—deep golden with hints of yellow and a touch of red. Surrounding it were black lines, representing myself around her.

Last night, after receiving her message, I made a decision. For the first time in my life, I wanted to be selfish, to have it all.

From this moment on, every path Elysia Lawson takes, will lead her to me; wherever she goes, it's me she will find. In every direction she looks, there will only be me, and there will be no refuge elsewhere!

Considering a spot where she'd instantly notice it, I placed the locket on her table alongside a small note stating:

"In the earnest hope for your forgiveness!"

~ASK

As I was about to exit her office, I noticed Elysia approaching. What the heck!

Mrs. Richard mentioned she would arrive in a while. In a hurried attempt to decide whether to leave or stay, my mind went blank. Before she could spot me inside, I crouched beside her desk, attempting to hide my large frame.

Just a few seconds later, I heard the glass door squeak open, and she entered, placing her bag on the table.

Why the heck am I hiding?

When a gasp reached my ears, I knew she had discovered my gift. Desperation overcame me, the desire to witness her reaction bubbling within, yet I remained frozen, hesitant to attract her attention. The office descended into an eerie silence after a few moments.

Why was it so quiet?

Had she left?

Eager to sneak a peek, I dared to look up, only to pause. My breath caught as I found Elysia looming over her desk, her eyes widened like saucers, lips slightly parted, looking at me in shock.

"Hi!" I blurted in an awkward tone, my lips twitching involuntarily.

This marked the most embarrassing moment of my life.

"Sir, w-what are you doing here?" Elysia exclaimed, her mouth still agape.

In a flash, I stood up, dusting off my coat. Now, I understood how Elysia felt getting entangled in embarrassing situations, but she could blame her clumsiness; what should I blame?

"I... dropped my watch under your table, so I was picking it up," I responded with feigned nonchalance. "You just came in?" I inquired casually, taking off my watch, wiping it with my sleeve, and glancing at her.

She shifted her scrutinizing gaze from me to the box in front of her.

"Is it...?" She began.

"It is for you, Elysia!" I affirmed before she could complete her sentence. Who else could it be for?

I walked up to her, stopping right in front of her surprised form. I didn't understand why she always kept her head low when she spoke to me, but I knew I would do something about this in the future. For now, I leaned against her table, partly sitting on it, ensuring I could see her face clearly. I gently took both her hands in mine. Her lips parted in response, staring at our hands oddly, but she didn't pull away.

"Elysia, I'm truly sorry for leaving so abruptly yesterday," I began, lowering my head to meet her downcast eyes. "I didn't mean to be rude; it's just...I was so upset with myself for yelling at you and saying things you never deserved in the first place. I felt like I couldn't meet your eyes because of that," I confessed sincerely. "I know it's been years; I know my apology may not mean much now, but I would still like to ask for your forgiveness—for everything I did or said to you." My eyes shifted to our hands, stroking her palms gently, her soft touch calming my nerves. "Will you forgive me—"

"You're forgiven!" Her instant reply snapped my attention back to her.

Her eyes were slightly red, a hint of mist gathering in the corners, a wide somber smile playing on her lips.

"Am I forgiven?" I blurted in disbelief. Could she forgive me so easily?

Elysia nodded vigorously in affirmation. A wide smile spread across my lips at her forgiving nature.

I knew she had a soft nature, but seeing her now, I felt like there were a lot of things I needed to know about her...

A knock on Elysia's office diverted my attention, prompting me to turn towards the door. Elysia instinctively withdrew her hands from mine, creating an abrupt distance between us. Though it bothered me, I still kept my expressions neutral, shifting my gaze to Ronald, who entered after knocking.

"Oh, sir! Sorry, I didn't know you were here. I wanted to give these files to Miss Lawson," he explained, a hint of surprise in his tone.

"I was just leaving anyway," I declared, straightening up and adopting my usual professional posture. I turned to Elysia, who met my gaze simultaneously, an unspoken understanding between us. Giving her a nod, I stepped back, a hint of smile on my face, earning a respectful nod with a small sweet smile from her before exiting her office.

Seated at my desk, I exhaled, placing a hand over my wildly beating heart. After a few minutes, Ronald entered my office with the important files.

"Sir, there's a problem!" he stated.

Shifting my gaze from the file to him, I inquired, "What problem?"

"Eric Peterson has been released yesterday. The head of security informed me that he was found lurking around the company a few days ago," Ronald explained, prompting my eyebrows to furrow as I tried to recall the man. He clarified, "It's the owner of the steel factory you acquired three years ago."

My eyes sharpened, remembering the man. "How could he be released so soon? I distinctly recall a sentence of five years or so."

"Probably on bail," Ronald informed. "I've already instructed the team to stay on alert. He would be arrested immediately if he tries something."

I nodded blankly, but my thoughts immediately shifted to Elysia. She commutes alone by bus.

"Call Sebastian and tell him to meet me in the afternoon," I ordered, drumming my fingers on the table, a multitude of thoughts swirling in my head.

"Noted! Sir, old Master Knight called as well. He complained that you haven't been picking up his calls and asked me to relay the message," Ronald added, clearing his throat. "Tell that brat to meet me urgently if he doesn't want to regret it later; otherwise, I won't guarantee anything," he mimicked Grandpa's stern and angry tone, earning a deadpan glare from me.

"His words, sir. Sorry," he stammered, zipping his mouth shut.

I sighed silently, feeling a headache approaching. The old man doesn't have anything to talk about except my marriage, which is why I have been avoiding his calls. However, he can't take any steps without the Silvas, who won't be here for the next six months unless I create another obstacle for them.

"I'll handle it," I declared. "Anything else?" I inquired, massaging my temples.

"Yes, sir," Ronald approached my table, speaking in a low voice. "It's about the matter you asked me to check yesterday."

All my senses heightened, recalling what I asked him to investigate. I almost forgot about it, thanks to Elysia's message. "What is it?" I asked, feeling a sudden uneasiness creeping over me.

"They've already landed, sir, a week ago. It was a private landing, and the matter was kept under wraps," he reported. My heart rate surged, their secret arrival fueling my unease. "How many?" I asked, swallowing my parched throat.

"Sir, from the information I gathered, half of the Delgado Clan is already surrounding the city, but their movements are untraceable," he explained.

This was the limit of our capabilities. Tracking their movements would be impossible, given their expertise.

Could it be?

A sudden memory flashed before me, panicked eyes and tone, as Elysia requested to leave the banquet hall in Spain.

Elysia was running away from him?!!!

*****************

Hey, lovely people! What are your thoughts about today's chapter?

So, so, so! As a lot of you may have guessed things or two about Esme. Talking about morally grey FMC, what are your thoughts about her? We would explore her one side in this story, and you may or may not see her in action, but not in details, since this story isn't about her!

Elysia and Ares are finally settling things down, what do you think would happen when Sven returns?

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

4.9K 931 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...
1.9K 161 29
As the Goddess of Ghosts, Melinoë struggled to make friends growing up that weren't already dead. Melinoë, the only child of Hades and Persephone, th...
333K 12.4K 80
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...
1.6M 38.1K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...