The Eminence In Shadow: Midga...

By awen02

The long awaited sequel to to fanfiction: John Smith: Mission Impossible. After the events of the previous n... More

Chapter 2: How to play the secret agent.
Chapter 3: Epic events call for drastic measures.
Chapter 4: He who lurks in the shadows
Chapter 5: Just go ask Gamma.
Chapter 6: The Red Stone.

Chapter 1: A Profitable outing.

522 23 2
By awen02

POV: Cid

Location: Lawless City hideout

It's been a few days since my epic showdown at the White Tower.

And in the end peace was once again restored to the citizens of the Lawless City- 

Yea actually not really.

 As much as I'd like to say everyone lived happily ever after, It turns out that taking out that taking out the only semblance of a government organisation that people fear, really only makes everything turn back into the chaos it was before. I guess the Lawless City is lawless for a reason... there have been a lot more profitable criminals to be found though so that's always a plus.

Anyway where does this all leave me? 

Every since that day I still have been wondering about the final parting words of that terrorist. I mean I got to accomplish everything I wanted for that fight, I got to make a flashy battle scene and even got to say some lines I'd been saving, so really I'm happy with how things ended.

 But he did mention something about there being more powerful figures behind him.

Hmmm

He was pretty tough to be honest for just a guy that I'd never heard of so it would be interesting to witness some of these so called big shots.

After all, I still have 3 weeks of school holidays to kill.

And as the eminence in shadow, taking down this evil organisation of uber powerful bosses sounds like a pretty fun pastime. 

"Find the one they call 'Overlord" He said. 

Hmm, Overlord. Sound dope. 

I should ask Gamma about this later, maybe she knows something.

An elite war between two shadowy organisations. Yea I definitely think I'm down for that. 

Very well dear terrorist, I shall avenge your dying words.

And don't worry, I will also make very good use of the gifts that you most generously handed upon me.

Because...

"HAHAHA now this defiantly is what I'm talking about!"

"Just what I'd expect from the final boss hideout! It seems that in the last couple days, all the funds of the Lawless City have been collecting right here and are now prime for the taking! You have not disappointed me!"

Ahem.

Basically, after my epic fight,  the guy told me the location of his secret villainous hideout that was supposed to be the main base of the organisation. So like any good aspiring Eminence, I set about raiding the place the next day. 

After all, I put in all the hard work to save this town so I should be the one to take all the riches they stole. As the age old saying goes..

'True financial success lies in honest hard work'

What could be more honest than the spoils of war?

And now with this I should be financially set for the near future.

"This past week has undoubtedly been an immensely profitable outing, when I get home I should invest into some new wine glasses for me to polish under the moonlight."

It has indeed been a while since I spruced up the décor. Maybe I should get something for my sister........ nah she'll be fine, she's an independent woman after all. 

I see gold... I see expensive jewellery....

I see...

Huh?

Hold up.

This wall...

Is it just me or does this wall here seem a little off? 

I press my hand up against the brick and my fingertips glow with a purplish-blue light.

Hmm. Interesting... 

To most, this probably just seems like a normal room and I can tell this was supposed to stay hidden, but using my enhanced magic sensing I can feel that there is a space on the other side of this wall. 

So in other words.

A secret false wall huh....that means there should probably be a switch somewhere around here that should activate this door...  but I don't really got the time for that now.

So instead I forcefully blast apart the wall. This place is abandoned after all so I'm sure they probably wouldn't mind. They do say leave no stone unturned so it wouldn't hurt just to check out what's behind this place.

As the dust begins to fade away, I can clearly notice the sight of a stairway leading into a dark underground passageway. A passageway...?

Hmm. False wall, dark, foreboding staircase... I like where this is going. 

I probably shouldn't get side-tracked in this situation but something about this is just screaming to me 'the eminence in shadow should be here vibes' 

Oh well, I guess what has ever gone wrong with following dimly-lit, creepy tunnels? 

I descend the steps into the gloomy corridor, it was getting a bid dark so I illuminated the walkway with the glow of purple magic. The walk seemed to go on for quite a fair bit, I guess right now I should be under the Crimson Tower huh.

Oh.

The path abruptly ended in a tall doorframe with strange demonic etchings on each side. The door itself was made of a thick stone and stood over me like some gateway to a satanic realm.

Do I go in?

I suppose I have committed this far so it wouldn't hurt to.....

I proceed to blast apart the door and stand mysteriously in the empty frame. 

...

Nobody?

Ok this place is abandoned what a shame...

But on another note, what exactly is this place supposed to be? It seems to me like some sort of research laboratory. But this machinery seems.... it seems almost modern... does this world even have that kind of technology?

Spanning across the wall from me, were 5 enclosed glass tubes surrounded by wires and machines. The wires converged in the centre of the room at a 6th, smaller glass tube which seemed to glow with a red light. The rest of the hideout was adorned with various instruments and important looking items. Hmm I approve of the design, very mystique, very supervillain esc.

This place really gives of a nice underworldly vibe, and a secret underground evil lair? How cool is that? At one point in the future I really should make an important secret underground base of important secret operations, it does fits the aesthetic of a shadow broker quite nicely. 

Going back to topic, this place looks as if it is still in the middle of doing something, but surprisingly there are no people around and it looks pretty abandoned. What were they doing around here...?

I suppose I should take a look around, a getup like this probably still has some cool relics lying around somewhere. I walk over to the centre machine which still seems to be glowing a red haze. This thing still looks pretty operational, and there's also some strange research equipment lying about indicating that this should of been in use not too long ago.

Hmm, I scoped the rest of the place out but it seems pretty empty. How disappointing. I guess I should just head back now and pick up the gold coins. After this maybe I'll head to someplace where I can do some...

.

Wait

That just there sounded like voices. 

..

And I can feel a presence approaching. 

I guess I have some company.

The sound is getting closer... it should be a group of people talking. But I thought this facility was supposed to be abandoned?

From behind a door to my left, I can feel the presence of a group of people rapidly approaching. Are they intruders like me? If so, then they better not be after my rightful money...

The party of intruders gets closer again, there should be about 5 of them and it was now the about distance where I could make out their conversation.

"So our mission is to recover the equipment, right?"

"Yea they said we should just pick it up and head back to base."

Hmm, intriguing exposition. So these guys were sent here to retrieve something important?

"It was boss's orders and he did seems pretty concerned about it so I guess we should just get this over with and claim our rewards later." 

"Yea your right I suppose."

"Alright this should be about the place, wait here and cover me, I'll retrieve the item."

Why thank you for explaining your full nefarious plan to me in full detail. I erased my presence and hid behind a nearby table for now. I kinda see how this plays out.

The door at my side opened and a burly looking man stepped out from behind. He took a look around to make sure the place was deserted before proceeding in his path directly to the strange centre machine. After one final check around, he inserted a key into the control board of the device

Suddenly, the machinery seemed to activate and the whole room glowed an even brighter red in response. After the sparking subsided, the 6th glass tube came to motion and released a thin red mist to indicate that some sort of process had been completed.

Alright I didn't really follow that but nice going.

"Aurora the Witch of Calamity... come forth!"

The room exploded in a brilliant flash of magical energy and the red mist from before started to condense into a spherical ruby gemstone. Looks pretty intriguing... maybe that should sell for a high price.

Sorry bud but this secret base has already been claimed by me so I'm gonna have to take that item off you.

The intruder reached out his hand to grasp the gemstone. 

"You will be going no further than that..."

"Wha- who's ther-AGHG!" Before he could react he had already been encased by a net of steel wires and dismembered on the spot. Yea I figured that my John Smith persona would work best here since I am infiltrating a secret enemy base after all.

"Wait guys did you hear that, he sounded like he was in trouble."

The remaining 4 intruders burst into the room with their weapons at the ready. Their bodies flinched at seeing their dead comrade lying on the ground.

"W-what happened here?"

"Did someone attack him?"

Oh they saw my actions... I guess I can't let them live now. 

"In the rules of the Lawless City, those who are strong are always those who will get their way."

"What who said-?"

"Begone."

Wires, with the flick of my hand, cleave through 3 of the members. Their lifeless bodies fall before he could even finish his sentence. As for the remaining guy, I string him up into the air and slowly walk to where he ley suspended.

"Guhuh y-you..."

"Tell me the name of the one who sent you here."

"N-no I won't-"

I tighten the net of wires and increase the pressure of my voice.

"Tell me the one who sent you here, or a fate worse than death shall await you."

"W-wait! His name is L-Leon."

Leon huh, he should know something about this whole situation.

If I aim to find out more about this secret big shot organisation.

Then I guess I should pay this guy a visit. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahem this is the author here

And now for the moment you have all been waiting for,

As promised, this is the beginning of part 2 of this fanfic.

I'd like to say first, thank you for reading and all the support on part 1

And if you haven't already, go read the prequel.

And so begins the new quest of Cid.

If you have any ideas, feel free to say them

That's pretty much all I have to say rn.

So enjoy and,

Ahem cya.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 234 29
Book 2 of completely Mine.. Book 1 is completely updated now... Go and check on that before starting this book 2.. This story is continuation of comp...
5.3K 387 7
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka died and got reborn as Cid Kagenou's older brother in the world of The Eminence In Shadow. He would be experiencing, who knows wh...
58.3K 2.2K 43
Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends, they relished a peaceful life in the rea...
5.6K 626 44
First Place Winner In Action for The Stars In The Making Awards 2017 First Place winner In Action for The Token Awards 2017 *COMPLETED* || Highest...