Enna is a Land God: Book 3

By KitCorbeau

Conquering the Dark Proved to be difficult, and Enna was lucky that her Status as a Land God made quite diffi... More

Adventurers in the Forest
Men and Monsters
Playing Dress-Up
A Meeting With the Pernians
Lunch with Monsters
A Summons?
It's Getting Way too Crowded in Here!
The Fox Princess
The Investigators Return
Ogres, and Harpies, and Unicorns... Oh My
Foxes and Snow
The Grandness of Talon's Pass
Yevette
Fartha Wind Weaver
Ogres in the Night
Day One of the Summit

Seeing off the Adventurer's Party

116 13 6
By KitCorbeau

I was back in my room, fluffy fox laying on my bed and me and the cat out on the belcony. I wanted some fresh air and had slipped into a fur lined cover. When in my normal body, temperature hardly effected me at all, but right now I found the winter quite chilly.

Afternoon had come and gone, and Trixie was off getting me my evening meal. 

Was I hiding in my room? Maybe. But I felt a little awkward around the adventurers, for some reason. I could only assume it was due to having no interactions beyond monsters for so long. It was very strange, setting my eyes on humans once again. Even the elf was a little startling, despite having lots of interactions with Reihekiu.

Did I just view the cantankerous, older half elf as a monster after all? Was I being rude in my head?

The wolf Beastmen was a little easier to get my head around, but even the slight differences between her and the foxes felt a little jarring. Like her human like eyes, and the lack of animal like claws.

It was rude to ignore my guests. And probably rather mean to leave them at the mercy of a mass of monsters...

"Quit thinking so hard about it." Huffed the sarcastic cat, licking a paw. I often found it funny when he acted like an actual cat. "Do you think those humans would be any less stressed to be in the presence of a god, rather than the mere mortals that are monsters? Tch."

I laughed awkwardly. "True..." I said, having not thought of that. I guess I would feel way more intimidated in the presence of a god than my enemy. "But its not like I am an all powerful being or something. I'm just a land god, right?"

The cat glared at me. I never mentioned it out loud before, but I found Mittens pretty refreshing. He was the only one who really said what was on his mind, no filter to what he thought would or would not offend or hurt me, as the others here did. I loved my monsters, but they did not treat me as an equal most of the time.

"I am often reminded just how dumb you are." Stated the cat, no inflection present. Like it was just fact.

Kishi growled from the bed. "Watch your tone, Cat."

Mittens ignored the guardian, as per usual. "There is no just when it comes to being a god. Perhaps, a land god, is not a all encompassing as a true god... but how likely is the average person- what ever their race- to come across one of the true gods?"

"Never?" I hazarded a guess.

"Quite. Some may even claim that the true gods do not even exist."

"Then they would be fools." Sighed Kishi, setting her head down, as if taking a nap. I knew she wouldn't. Despite my assurances, most people still saw the little cat as a potential threat to my life. But there was no way Mittens could do a damn thing unless I allowed it.

"Either way, at least there is a slight, almost impossible chance, a person could come in contact with a land god. Hence they fear and revere them more."

"What do you mean?" I asked, with an eye roll, adjusting my shall so I was covered better against the frigid wind. It was late and cold, so I had told the others to inform the adventurers that they should at least spend the night before leaving, though I would not hold them here if they really wanted to go. Apparently they had taken me up on the offer. "People see me multipole times, every day."

Mittens put the black paw down, narrowed his violet eyes on me, and said slowly, as if I were a moron. "That is not normal. You are absurd."

Ouch.

The cat sighed, then sauntered along the rail to sit nearer to me. It was a familiarity that he rarely showed. "Even among the gods that tend to interfere with the lives of those residing in their lands, most only appear very occasionally. Perhaps at a yearly festival, or at times of great peril. No god in their right mind wants to live amongst these weak and misguided fools, eating with them and caring about what they may or may not do. They are fodder for the god and the land, not pets!"

"And who here is the pet?" I asked coldly as Kishi growled once again. "They are my friends, not pets or anything."

Mitten's sighed, flicking his ears. "You are young. Give it time and I am sure you will see just how stupid you are- GACK!!"

A large, cream colored paw had suddenly appeared, and in a split second the cat had been sent plummeting off the rail. I gasped, leaning over the edge, only to see the little black mass leap out of a shallow snow bank, murderous purple eyes flashing up ward as he shook himself off.

"Kishi!" I said in a some what high pitched voice.

"He had it coming." Drawled the fox, stretching her neck over the railing so that she could flash the cat a very toothy and threatening grin. I heard muffled cursing and cat yowls from down below.

Of course that bit of noise on my part had my door swinging open, revealing a highly agitated Lagdon, eyes wide and searching for danger as he tanked his way into the room. "What's happening?" He snapped.

"I was removing vermin." Kishi stated simply as she and the hobgoblin passed one another, she headed back to the bed, and he stepping up to the place she had vacated, leaning over the rail. Apparently the cat was still down there making a fuss, because I got the rare chance to see Lagdon's face crack into a viciously pleased grin. 

They all took such pleasure in bullying my cat when ever they could... I couldn't really complain too much. I mean, this was supposed to be Mittens' punishment, and he was an evil, soul sucking, mass murdering megalomaniac under all that black fluff. But he was my soul sucking, mass-murdering, megalomaniac... and he looked like a cute kitty! Who pushes cute kitty cats off of railings fifty feet or more up?

To be fair, Kishi was a monster, and there for it was to be expected, right?

"Try not to worry about him." Smirked Lagdon, putting a hand on my arm and guiding me back into the room, shutting the glass doors behind us. "He gets what he deserves."

"And there is no need to worry about his words either." Huffed the fox, kneading the bed as she settled back in. "Every one of us is delighted that you want to walk among us, Lady Enna. If you didn't, I would be out of a purpose, do not forget."

Lagdon nodded, likely catching on to what had been discussed before he came in. "Many of us, if not all of your monsters, would be vastly different, and worse off, without your interference. Do not let that fool convince you other wise."

"I don't think he was trying to convince me of anything..." But I decided to drop it all the same. Both sides had merits, after all. I was strange for my choices, but if I had not made those choices, then this nation would be on a far different path than it was now. And, so far, I rather liked the path it was taking.

The next day, I resolved myself to at least see our guests off. 

Lagdon informed me that they were fed, well rested, and ready to head home. No incidents had happened during their stay, and I liked to think that they had at least a positive experience amongst my monsters.

I wanted our nations to get along, at the very least. I would hate to have to close the borders as Aeros had done, cutting us off from the rest of the world. But it was all up to the Pernian king at this point. Him and his people, I guess.

I followed Lagdon and Trixie out the large front door of the estate. I was dressed in my usual garments of copper robe, but also wore soft leather, fur lined boots, and my fur lined shawl. Trixie wanted me to dress up, stating that this was about a much as a political matter as meeting with Margund, the goblin king and Lagdon's older brother, would have been. I didn't disagree with that sentiment, but I didn't want to leave the adventurers with an intimidating impression of me. 

Yes, the humans needed at least a little fear towards me, so they knew better than to think they could just come and invade if that's what they wanted... but I wanted them to also see me as a more open, and less hostile person too.

All and all, this just showed how unequipped I was at dealing with political issues. I think I would just pull the 'god card' in these situations... I am a god, I can act as I want and be real bad dealing with politics! In fact, maybe I wasn't bad, and it was all a calculated move on my part! yeah... right.

The adventurers were gathered out front in the courtyard, and they were not alone. Besides the expected guards, there was also the kobold representative, Tera, and also Elder Brax. Well, I suppose it was just 'Brax' now that his daughter Brixie now held the title of Elder. Brillum and his scouting party-including young Ozzie- was also present, given they would be the ones to escort the Pernians to the border.

I was pleased to see the two groups chatting amicably enough.

When they all noticed me, the atmosphere grew a little tenser. I saw the eyes of the one called Arthas flick from me to some place above my head. On instinct I turned, looking up. All I saw was the face of the estate, decorated with the beautiful stained glass windows depicting me, mostly.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I turned back to the group. A slight blush passed over the knight's face. "It is embarrassing, but who was I to stop someone else's art, right?" I asked.

I could see the Pernians actually resisting the urge to bow, taking the hint from the monsters who had not. I am sure it is a hard habit to break, bowing to those who were supposed to be superior... so I appreciated the restraint. I always found bowing so awkward.

"That is your true form then?" Asked Reinga, the best-woman, eyeing the stained glass skeptically. I knew what pane she would be looking at too: the one showing Drazdon's depiction of my subjugation of the Specter, now known as Mittens. It was very artistic, but the massive work of art the glass worker was currently getting ready to install at the head of the church was what he called his 'Master Piece'.

That one I had not seen in its entirety yet, but what I had was impressive. He was setting it up so that it was the center of the chambers back wall, the very first thing you would see upon entering the church/temple/sanctuary- whatever they called it these days. It was many times life sized stained glass artwork of me in all my 'true form' glory... antlers and all, apparently. It was weird to think I had antlers... no matter how small and twig like they were.

"So I am told." I answered the woman with a smile. "I didn't really have a mirror on at the time. Mostly, I think my 'true form' is the one I use every day." I indicated my current body. "This, but about seven years older." I said with a laugh.

"I-I see..." Arthas said awkwardly, no doubt uncomfortable swapping small talk with a land god.

"When you are feeling better, I'd love to see it." Stated the very innocent looking Porsha. The pink haired girl was said to be their healer, but I could tell that these people were extremally protective of her. I wasn't sure if it was because she was a healer and they were fairly rare, or if it had to do with the large amount of mana I felt coming off of her. Either way, she seemed like a sweet girl, and not someone who aught to be sent out to explore the deep, dark, and scary monster forest.

"Porsha!" Groaned Their leader, a hand dragging through his five o'clock shadow in exasperation.

I laughed. "It's fine. I don't mind who sees, but I would not bet on it happening too often. Most of my energies are directed to more important things than making myself look impressive." 

"Lady Enna, your efforts are always much appreciated." Brax smiled around his pipe.

"Indeed." Agreed Tera, smoothing out her fur lined long coat that would have fit on a human child pretty easily.

"You will be sure to keep them safe, Brillum?" I asked the dark red furred foxie, who stood near by, making sure all of their mounts had their saddles on correctly, and that all his members were present. They would be mostly walking while they escorted the Pernians, but the mounts would let them get home fast enough.

"On my honor, Lady Enna." Stated one of my oldest friends in this world, even if some other had become a little closer. "I will guard them as if it were you I was protecting."

"You do realize that we are seasoned adventurers, don't you?" Asked Braid, both mildly offended and amused. "I understand the need to have some one with us, but I am quite confident that we can defend ourselves."

"The more the merrier, as they say." I laughed. "Truly though, travel safely. I would hate if our first guests- uninvited though they may be- came to any harm."

"Your concern is most welcome, Lady Enna." Stated the pretty elf that was Sora, bowing her head ever so slightly.

"We will be sure to deliver your words to the guild master and the king." Stated Braid, securing his sword more comfortably.

"No doubt the king will wish to send a reply..." Said Arthas, a look of worry on his face as he eyed the dangerous monsters around him. Maybe he feared for the king's messenger?

I smiled at the young noblemen, wanting to put any such notions to bed right away. "We want only for piece, I assure you. I have no issue with your king sending a messenger, but it may be best to have them wait near the border for one of my patrols, before entering. Just because these people here would not attack unprovoked, does not mean that every monster is a kind and forgiving. I would hate for something terrible to happen."

Braid nodded. "I will make sure that this is delivered as well."

"We should be going..." Stated Reinga in Braid's ear. I felt that it was meant to be quieter than it sounded, but given how all but the kobold, Tera, had great hearing, we all heard her just as well as if she had spoken plainly. I think she realized this too, given the awkward smile she shot our way after a second of staring.

"Take care." I told the adventurers. The I turned back to Brillum. "And come home safely."

"I have yet to fail to follow an order Lady Enna, and I do not plan to do so now either." Smiled the Foxie archer, patting the side of his Rohgek fondly. "Everyone, ready yourselves for departure!" He called out over his shoulder, where Ozzie and the others called out the affirmative.

I stood with Lagdon and the others, waving off our first ever foreign 'invaders' with a smile. I thought it went better than I would have expected of a surprise encounter. 

I blinked in surprise when the curvy wolf woman looked over her shoulder and flashed a smile, clearly winking at something above my head. I felt Lagdon stiffen behind me and heard Tera chuckle. As the group vanished out of sight, I looked back at my hobgoblin quizzically, eyebrow raised.

"Stop looking at me like that..." He growled, his own eyes narrowed in irritation.

"Do you have a thing for busty wolf girls?" I asked, finding it hard to contain my amusement.

"I do not!" He snapped.

"Eh? I didn't say it was a bad thing..."

"The woman, Reinga..." Chuckled Tera. "She was asking about Lagdon. And a few other of the hobgoblin guards. After I showed her and the others the gardens and the like, she was flirting with them."

"Probably fishing for information." Grumbled Lagdon, looking more annoyed than embarrassed. Which was very like him, I suppose. Poor man wouldn't be able to recognize a girl with a crush if she jumped him in the hall way... "I hope none were fool enough to provide a sneak assassin any sort of information." He added dangerously.

I did not recall anyone mentioning that Reinga was an assassin, but I was not surprised either. I had only met her and the others for a short time, but they all seemed like very accomplished adventurers... Well, maybe not Porsha, but she was quite young, and probably her talents out weighed her experience, for now.

Still, Lagdon did have a point. I felt no directed malice or subterfuge from the group, but it was best not to be overly trusting of strangers in the end. Not until we all got a better feal for each other at least.

"I bet the babies would be cute..." I mumbled, partially to myself, but also to bug Lagdon. After all, there were so very few opportunities to do so.

He merely let out a low, animal like growl of frustration, before engulfing the top of my head in his much larger, four fingered, hand, making me grunt. "I think you are over due for a training session, Lady Enna."

"What!" I exclaimed as he forcibly led me out of the courtyard and away from the traitorous laughing people like Tera and Brax. "But-but, I'm not well..." I said in desperation, referring to my current, teenaged state.

"What do you mean, Lady Enna?" Sneered my most trusted and loyal friend that, surely, would never wish me ill will. "You current physical age is near enough to young Ozzie, isn't it. And he trains every day..."

"Laaaagdooon!" I whined as I was dragged off for what was surely going to be several hours of informative, valuable, and brutal training. How could he be so mean!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

809 1 23
Queen Emalia is beautiful but has taken over the throne and is a cruel leader, willing to stop at nothing. With her powers, she kills anyone in her w...
880 41 23
Crysen hails from a powerful and noble lineage of light fairies and is expected to uphold his mother's legacy. However, he has yet to awaken his powe...
Eros By T&R

Romance

18.1K 1.6K 90
Eros, a world forsaken by its gods, left to be governed by kings and Magi, gifted with control over various elements. *** Some say the gods are dea...
9.9K 721 21
Hotaru never expected to be the target of an evil yōkai. After her husband dies, the beautiful widow returns to the countryside to live with her brot...